Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2007 Display Reviews —› Germany - IP reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 23:52:39

Post your reviews here, please

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 00:04:31

The last time I attended what I would call a "breathtaking" finale, was way back, on June 6th 1998, when Italy's IPON S.R.L. moved me and brought this love I have of fireworks.

After a long wait of 9 years, 1 month and 19 days, I FINALLY got what I had been patiently waiting for. Tonight, July 25th 2007, Germany's IP (is that short for IPON? ), I witnessed something similar to that of 1998.....a wonderful, breathtaking finale, (sorry, but I have to write this in French)..... précédée par 28 minutes d'un feu d'artifice d'un raffinement total, où originalité, synchronisme et beauté ont pu garder mon attention à chaque seconde!

Firework displays don't come any better than the one I witnessed this evening. I am very eager to hear your comments........Travis....did you see someone being emotional on the bridge? That was me

I'll have more to say tomorrow, as I have to go to bed....totally satisified with what I have seen, heard and felt this evening, after such a long wait

Germany, you are MY NUMBER ONE!!!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 00:33:37   Edited by: Enkil

Well, well! First, I have to say that today's weather was simply amazing! It was one of the best days of summer, and I enjoyed it to the max! And I'm very happy to see that it will be hot and humid all week! If only we had this sort of weather in early July. The weather tonight was so comfortable, and inside the metro, it was hot and humid just like the way I like it! Typical summer fireworks day!

How can I describe this display? It was quite different from other displays. To some level, I can also say that the design and the way it was executed looked very simple. In fact, in many segment it looked very simply, and I'm sure the public agrees with me. They obviously didn't make good use of the area. However, what really makes up for these negative aspects is the way the show was syncronized with a pretty good sountrack. I can say that synchronization was almost flawless.

The display was quite intense in some parts. I really liked the quality of fireworks, but I believe the designers failed to actually build up a better show. I saw many very interesting and enjoyable segments.... no, parts of segments!

The music was mysterious and I liked it. I can't say that it was better than Canada's, but it was enjoyable and I have no problem with it. The theme of the show was not original and doesn't really tell us anything. If anything, it should be titled "Mystery."

I'm sure that the public once again, may have lost some patience during SOME parts, but again, there were many interesting segments and very beautiful effects. But I'll say it again, synchronization was very good and well done.

As for the finale, well, the show along with the music was building-up to what was supposed to be a huge and highly anticipated finale. It actually felt very anti-climatic because as you know, it was indeed an Italian finale, but I already knew it was going to be one. I must say for this finale that it felt like watching IPON 1998 and 2004, BUT I'm going to have to disagree with Pierre and say that it was not as intense as I thought it would be. I don't know if it was because of the wind or something, but I just didn't feel that it was reaching to a real finale. Yes, for awhile, it almost felt like the ground was shaking because of the intense salutes, but did it really look big and terrifying? I personally don't think so. At the very end, we saw a couple of huge shells and a very loud noise and then, I said to myself "that's it?"

Ok, maybe I was expecting it to be bigger because I knew it was going to be good, but still, I'm even going to say that Canada's finale was better. Certainly, Germany 2007 is in the top 3 of the real finales in recent years.

Anyway, it was indeed a satisfying finale with a more and less good display overall.

My final 2007 rankings (without France)

1. Canada
2. USA
3. England
4. Germany
5. China
6. Spain
7. Mexico

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 02:25:50

This was a very well designed and exciting, as expected, display. As mentioned in the press release, we were treated with quite a bit of shell of shells and multi-breakers in most pieces an integrative whole and some very interesting parts during the show.

The show itself had some interesting and very unsual sequences that I was not totally used to, perhaps because of the way it went along with the music. The music choice itself was generally good, but there were some selections that felt a little too identical and the feeling sometimes felt repetitive.

I want to point out that the synchronization was nearly flawless, safe for a spot where the music was on the verge of fading near the end of a segment and nothing was happening for a noticeable few seconds, even before the actual fade. Regardless, this criterion was well followed and was very enjoyable most of the time with the music. The segment dedicated to the series of mines was actually perfectly on cue with the music.

The theme was a little overly descriptive, but I didn't see too much in the way of enforcement. I saw some connection in the sense of mystery, but the essence of the theme itself was not entirely fulfilling and thus sometimes lacked a little creativity compared to other displays.

The finale was actually very intense with those rapid and frequent bursts of titanium salutes behind all those shells (I was expecting this pattern). However, I found the pace was a little too balanced and didn't intensify to the point where it would deliver the significant final blow. Nevertheless, I rank this finale 2nd to Canada's! The finale was still quite powerful and yes, Pierre, I was looking for an excited individual on the bridge. I was screaming for more and more, but when it ended after the last barrage of shells, a final less intensified part showed itself, which I thought would start another part of the finale. Most of the show was generally robust with the shells firing at a good pace creating a series of impressive faux finales, even during the show. Most of the shells were particularly interesting in movement, most notably at mid level, from the left to the right and so forth.

More details later today. As Enkil nicely pointed out, we had a gorgeous Summer evening and I was thankful that there was enough wind present, which was my only concern in terms of weather.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 11:19:19   Edited by: fireworksforum

My final report of the season is up. I really enjoyed this display - in fact, I found it the most enjoyable of the competition - but this is for many reasons beyond just the display itself. The weather was perfect, I've been on vacation for a week or so and was just in a good mood. Sometimes it's the external factors which are key to fully enjoying a performance.

The display itself was very powerful and well choreographed, and I just loved the fireworks aspect - the brilliant shells, especially the multibreaks and farfalles from IPON, as well as the incredible crackling shells from San Tai.

The finale was good, but was anticlimatic - I was expecting a final huge barrage but it wasn't there or wasn't as apparent as I would have thought - I don't know if there were any technical issues here. I guess we'll see at the Pajama day fireworks!

It will be interesting to see if the lack of a theme affects the jury or not and also to see if the natural advantage of firing last makes a difference.

I'll be posting my review and predictions on Saturday - I have them all written up but want a couple of days to think about them before I post them.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 17:13:03

Clearly, Joachim Berner made another excellent display for the Montreal audience. It was very different then the other shows performed this year, since it was designed according to a different, more classic, artistic direction. For the first time this year, we heard classic music (which was common 10 years ago) and no material were located on the fifth ramp. (That was surprising since Berner told me that a specialty of IP is to make pyrotechnic effects very close to the audience.) It was also a "purely" pyromusical show, without the building of a theme which would put all parts together.

I was impressed by the segment of perfect note-synchronized mines shot on the xylophone notes. Some people found it too long (it was 2 min. 25 sec.), but I was hypnotized on my seat. It reminded me the similar sequence made by Berner himself for Ipon in 1997 with a piano music. About 350 small mines were fired for this part of the show.

The synchronization was excellent, but the firework was sometime too loud for the music, especially as the nautical shells burst. We seldom see as many two colour-changing shells as we did last night. Multibreak shells were also numerous. However, it looked to me that the anticipated "shell of 21 shells" (announced in the press release) was not a special one, but one of these multibreak shells that we often see in the competition. No rainbow effect this time.

Following the show, comments from almost everyone were positive, but people were splitted between those who would give a prize to the German team and those who wouldn't. I guess that IP has a good chance to be on the podium, because they made an excellent display, but also because it is the last contestant. Doing the same show in June and, at this time of the season, people wouldn't remember a lot of things about it, I believe.

As usual, my report is now online on PyroPlanet.com:

http://www.pyroplanet.com

Fred

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 19:04:48   Edited by: Smoke

Country participant: Germany
Company: IP
Date of presentation: July 25th, 2007

The most ideal and perfect Summer weather conditions so far this season were present for IP's display with a reasonable level of humidity, warm temperatures and the right amount of wind to get the smoke out of view. This was set to be a very promising display from the debutant German team with an expected Italian feel to go along with it. With a large audience present, expectations were certainly as high as ever for the performance.

Many effects were present throughout the display, including the shots of shells of red central stars and some bright low level mines to assist them at the opening of the show. Additionally, we witnessed some exquisite farfalle shells of light purple stars, shells of sparkles/glitters (both white and a transitioning light pink at one point), shells of horsetails, frequent and distinctive crackling pistils, scattered shots, weeping willows and kamuros. We've also seen plenty of the specified shell of shells and multi-breakers that often made a perfect integration in between with other shells being fired at the same time along with the rapid bursts of titanium salutes (a very IPON-like combo pattern). This always made things exciting and I was so sure they would use this sort of pattern in the finisher.

Low level effects included crackling mines, mines of salutes, mines of screaming serpents (which went from left to right in a half fan-like pattern), candles, and some spinning wheels of white and brownish sparks along ramp 1. The most interesting, as I'm sure many of you would agree, is the segment of solely the use of the small mines of varying colored stars that were in perfect sequence (more on this later).

Synchronization was practically flawless, but not just in the sense of music-fireworks connection, but also in the way it was executed. A lot of the sequencing patterns, to me at least, typically created a different feeling, something that I did not experience in other performances. The most apparent tight connections of rhythm were at low level, but much of it was also seen at levels directly above. The choice of music was fair, but some of it felt a touch redundant while other selections were not too appealing to me. On the other hand, while these fitted in with this sort of display, a lot of the other soundtrack used was rather enjoyable and hence quite the variety.

The design of the show was actually quite remarkable and seemed to take aim at a more artistic sensation. I personally had fun trying to guess how many of the shell of shells would take place in conjunction with other effects, but a lot of this display had some effective transitioning and pivotal points, particularly with both color and pace. There was also a fairly diverse set of effects used as well, though this seemed more predominant with the color choice.

The finale was, for the most part, powerful and had excellent starting crescendo in its debut. The segment started off vehemently with some shell of shells to introduce the more intensified following pieces of rapid bursts of assisting shells of green, red, white and a mixture of other colors that contrasted beautifully. Not long after this, more and more shells began to fire at mid level and near higher levels at a slightly higher pace while massive and deafening titanium salutes served as enforcement to all the activity already involved. All of this continued for a good while longer, though at approximately the same level of pace, until a few final barrages of shells and salutes were deployed. Coming to a close, a final piece soon followed this powerful part of the finale at high level leading many spectators to believe that the previous section was indeed a faux finale. However, this final part was much less intense shooting only a few large brownish shells at high level with a final series of very loud salutes to accompany it. This did indeed feel anti-climatic, but the finale as a collective whole was still quite powerful and ranks 2nd best for this season in my books. The audience was ecstatic after such a thrilling finale and certainly roared their approval afterwards! The actual faux finales and intensified pieces that felt like the finisher during the show and before the real finale were, as always, most welcomed.

Trav's personal rankings

-Synchronization: 10/10-Some of the best connections between music and fireworks that I've seen this season were shown brilliantly by the German team.
-Design: 8.5/10-Some very impressive pieces demonstrated, but I found a lot of the display perhaps a little too simple in technique compared to what we're typically used to. Color choices were well chosen and had some good variety. The quality of the show and the products was superb (a lot of very sweet Italian product; that's for sure!). There was a reasonable set of effects shown as well, which always made things interesting.
-Creativity/Originality/Concept: 7.5/10-I wouldn't call it totally original, but there was not too much in the sense of creativity. The theme was simply vague at times and didn't have enough enforcement during the show. However, the theme itself did show some promise and was apparent at times in terms of unusual, especially the way the synchronization criterion was taken advantage of, which ultimately created a different atmosphere altogether in some respect. The sequencing was just fantastic.
-Choice of music: 8.5/10-Some of the music selections sounded rather identical, but they were all generally enjoyable. There were a couple of soundtrack I couldn't really abide to, but it worked well with the performance nevertheless.
-Finale/Overall appreciation: 9.4/10-A very powerful finale that was 2nd best, in my opinion, though just not quite to the point in delivering that successful final series of explosions. It had some excellent color choices and the perfect Italian structured finale we were all hoping to see. I know everyone loved it, especially Pierre.
-Overall: 8.8/10

This was an incredibly well executed display and it offered some of the most unusual sequencing and music coordination I have seen this season from low to high level. Most of the shells themselves at mid level were noticeably in perfect harmony with the music, which is often not as distinctive in most displays compared to the more easily perceptible lower level effects consisting of the common mines or candles. The coordinated movement at mid level with the blue and red shells was particularly interesting as they advanced from the right to the left and vice versa, but I was most particularly fond of the display construction as an integrative whole because it established a different perspective in a pyromusical. A lot of the product used was in good mixture, as were the colors and associated transitions as well.

The segment dedicated to the perfectly sequenced mines was actually very enjoyable, though a touch long, and nicely done in its entirety, especially the way it ended it off with the elongated front of mines across the ramp. As Fred pointed out as well, each xylophone note in that segment was right on cue. The theme was often vague and I couldn’t really point out the essence of it through the performance. However, as Enkil mentioned, the mysterious notion was certainly present and the synchronization aspect to the show really brought that out along with the way the effects were intertwined. The finale was not quite on par with my expectations, but still a highly intensely delivered and Italian-styled finale nonetheless; a lot of action and noise assisted by clever color mixtures, but the final part of it just after the main set was not in connection with what was happening before hand, which left a little feeling of anti-climax. Most of the show, however, was very exciting, moving and dramatic. I must also agree with Paul about the nostalgic feeling of this display bringing us back to the mid to late 90s in how those shows were enjoyably concocted and how they were generally brought forward to the audience.

Thank goodness the weather cooperated, but just look at how it turned out. We had perfect weather and the second hottest evening present during a fireworks display this season. Still a little skeptical about Saturday with the conditions, but we'll see what happens.

My final report of the season is up. Can you believe it? I honestly don't know where these years are going.

I look forward to everyone's predictions. Like Paul, I also need some time to review my reports, give some thought about each display and come up with my final decisions on predictions. At least 6 displays are in contention for a prize.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2007 22:19:00

Hi everyone,

As promised, I will give my thoughts on the German display. It is by far, my favorite display of this season. I really enjoyed it from start to finish because it was bright, sharp and very well synchronized with the music, which I found very appropriate for a firework display! This type of classical music is perfect for a pyrotechnic show......I especially enjoyed the fact that they used Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells". Speaking of this particular song, I dare anyone in this forum, to listen to "Tubular Bells" while alone in the house when it's dark with all the lights out! You'll really feel the chill going down your spine from total fright! Woof!

Anyway, this was a spectacular display with an intense finale. Enkil, I agree with you in the sense that it was not as intense as we all expected and surely not as huge and mind-shattering as the finale of IPON 1998, nor IPON 2004...but I meant it was similar in the sense that it was a true "Benito Pagano" style ending!
I truly think that Mr. Pagano is a pyrotechnical genious and he has that ability to stir the emotions deep within my soul with his creative mind when it comes to fireworks! I had big expectations about this finale, but I was sure that we wouldn't witness something as big as 1998 or 2004 for sure.....

I agree that the finale could've been more intense and longer, but hey.........to me, it was the best finale this season, the best display also......... and I want to thank and salute Benito Pagano and the entire German team , for succeeding in making my eyes water (in my case, it is the best sign that I am REALLY enjoying myself) during the display, especially in the last 2 minutes!

Travis....I was sure you were enjoying both the display and weather, as you like it HOT and HUMID.....you were served in both aspect, my friend! Yes, I was very excited inside, but could not show it too much physically, as I was holding the camera during the recording of the finale!

Paul....thank you so much for the details prior to the display.......I had no idea that Benito Pagano was part of the German team, so I had time to prepare myself for something big! It was such a pleasant surprise! I just hope he returns to Montreal in 2008 at the helm of Italy's IPON S.R.L........bring on the SALUTES...I am ready!

Fred....sadly, what you say is true about the difference between a June display and a late July display, making somewhat of a difference in the decision of the jury because they might not remember.......this is very unfortunate. Back in 1998, IPON S.R.L. was the first to display its show of the competition, but in my case, not only I did not forget their performance, come the final decision of the season, but I WILL NEVER FORGET IT!

Tomorrow is the last display of the season....already!

I will be there on the bridge, once again, being thankful that in Montreal, we are allowed to enjoy such a wonderful competition!

Everyone, have a great weekend!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 28, 2007 00:13:22

Good evening everyone,

Well it's kind of late to be posting my review but I feel somewhat obliged - if not to the forum then at least to myself in order to figure out my feelings toward the German display on Wednesday.

I can start by saying that the display itself was fantastic - certainly among those competing for a Jupiter. Some of the fireworks they used were absolutely breathtaking and I thought that the music selection was very enjoyable. My favourite part(s) involved what I can only describe as the fireworks "doing the can-can dance" to, what I believe was the "can-can" music. The finale I would put among my three favourite this year - along with Canada and England - but as was mentioned previously, it lost some steam towards the very end and served as, not an anti-climatic ending, but an ending whose denouement took away from the climax.

Call me part of the "new breed" of fireworks enthusiasts if you wish, but I find it important in a competition of this nature to have a well-defined theme for your display. Maybe it is because I didn't attend enough displays in the 1990s that I felt the show had no direction... except to the finale.

I also thought that the piano/xylophone playing part was interesting but a bit lengthy.

All in all, it was a superb close to my first ever full competition where I managed to see each display. I find it very sad to think that the best part of the summer is nearly over.

Oh well, tomorrow I will make the most of what is left and I'll be there in the Gold Section for the awards ceremony and the Panzera S.A.S. display!!! Rain or shine (likely rain...right Trav?) I cannot wait for tomorrow.

And it's really been a pleasure sharing my opinions with you all and getting to share in your insight - I thank you for that.

Enjoy the show tomorrow evening! And I'll be sharing your thoughts Pierre - what a magnificent city this is!

Posted: Jul 28, 2007 00:33:26

Call me part of the "new breed" of fireworks enthusiasts if you wish, but I find it important in a competition of this nature to have a well-defined theme for your display. Maybe it is because I didn't attend enough displays in the 1990s that I felt the show had no direction...

TRae, I did attend to many "traditional" displays in the 1990s and, nonetheless, I share your feeling.

I had an interesting discussion with Joel Hamon, the chairman of Féérie, last week. He described the following evolution in the way to do a pyromusical display. The first stage (until the 1980s) was a simple exhibition of various pyrotechnic effects. The second one (with the birth of the digital firing systems, for instance) was more oriented toward the technic side. The third stage (present) has to do with the use of pyrotechnic material and various technologies to build more integrated displays, to build a story.

I'm somewhat reluctant to present these different kinds of displays as three stages, since it implies that those who do not perform an integrated show are less advanced. Nonetheless, I share Hamon's preference for the latter kind of display.

I do believe that the "story-based" and the "traditional" displays are just two different ways to perform a pyromusical show and that a great traditional display (great use of the firing stage, high quality products, perfect synchronization) is better than a story-based one with a limited range of products and a deficient synchronization.

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2007 03:09:39   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre,

Your assessment was bang in the mark. Indeed, I enjoyed the fireworks display and the gorgeous hot and humid weather that we had seen that night to go along with it. You can also expect this trend to continue throughout the week.

I thank you for providing your comments, my friend, and I pretty much have mostly identical thoughts about your impression with respect the finale. I was hoping for a massive finish, but it just didn't attain that kind of level. But it's no big deal since we were treated with a glorious finish, as expected!

Hope you enjoy tonight's show!

TRae,

Thank you for your comments as well and it has been more than a pleasure to exchange thoughts with you regarding each display! I hope we will continue to do this for the years to come!

As for the weather, well, I'm hoping the forecast will change up by the later today, but I have to keep a close eye on the actual speed of the front itself since this will influence the chances of precipitation this evening. We'll see what happens!

Everybody enjoy this evening!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 31, 2007 23:52:39

did anyone notice the similarity between some of the soundtracks used by ipon in their past show with the ones ip used?

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020