Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2007 Display Reviews —› Pyrotechnic Peices
Last poster Message

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 23:44:09

Hey Trav.

I am wondering what this type of pyrotechnic peice is called here is the link: http://www.internationaldesfeuxlotoquebec.com/en/virtuel/extraits.asp? video=779 at 2:09. You will see a barrage of blue shells then they all seem to report like salutes. My guess is that it is either studatta lambi shells or just a large sequence of blue shells with salutes behind. This has caught my attention many times and I just wonder.
And also when I saw the video i didn't see any bursts from the launch of salutes, is that normal?
Why do they leave tarp on the mortar heads, can it be caught in fire?
I talked to a pyrotechnician from Royale Pyrotechnie and he said he couldn't show me a salute because he only transported them to cargo ships. Do you have a picture of a salute shell in closeup (like on ground or in mortar or in hand?

Thanks
Pat

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 13:34:16

Hey Pat,

I don't think I'm the right person to answer some of those questions, but I'm sure many users here can lend you a hand on those. However, though I'm not quite familiar with all the pyrotechnic terminology, I would have described that part in the video in about the same way as you did - consecutive barrages of shells of blue stars in combination with continuous salute explosions (I'm not sure if those are titanium salutes) in the background.

That was a great finale, btw. The final piece reminded me exactly of how the finale concluded in 2003 with all those thundering volley after volley of salutes and shells!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 14:36:53

Hey Trav.

Just wondering during the shows this year I was near the ferris wheel watching Spain. And I was wondering since you went in the fireworks field before. Whicj ramp do the salutes get fired because when Spain had a 20 salute rampage at the end, one blew up at about 5 feet high! I nearly got deaf and yet I will stay there. Always fun watching the fireworks get launched and blown up
. How did you get permission anyways? I want to make my own fireworks company and perform down there. You will see a more intense finale than Ipon I can assure you thatI just never thought of how you set it off. Do you just press buttons or hook it up to a computer that you programmed the pieces onto and they will syncronize like in RCT3?

Thx for reading,
Pat

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 14:51:52

Hey Trav.

I want to apologize that I'm writing all the time. I'm glad I joined the forum so I can ask questions conerning my whereabouts on fireworks. The question i'm about to ask is driving me nuts to hold it in. When is the next time you will be in contact with Eric Tucker? What company does he work for? What does he do? Cause I might have a request for you to ask him. Or you might want to answer.

"I have an idea of a firework that might be created"-
The idea is put nothing but a shell full of gunpowder and fuse. If it hasen't been created. I'd like to name it if I may i'd like to name it "Saluto Lambi" because it will be like a salute.

But here's the cool thing Trav...It wont have any stars or flash. Just a loud bang like a salute. I thought of it last year. And if you now anyone who can do that. Let me know, plz

Thanks for reading,
Pat

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 16:26:08

Hi Pat,

I just want to let you know that I'm not a pyrotechnician, nor have I been on site at La Ronde to see any displays since 1990-1991 - I consider myself a faithful spectator viewing from the banks of the St.Lawrence on both De Lorimier and Notre-Dame streets.

Regarding Eric Tucker, I don't have any contacts with him or any other competitors at all, but I did hear that it might be possible that he may compete for Sunny International, an infamous Chinese company competing in the 2008 competition in Montreal.

As for the loud bang you are referring to, there was a fearsome explosion (quite bright as well) that took place some distance from ground level during near approximately mid way into the Panzera performance. I had thought it was simply a powerful single one-shot salute and was merely a part of the show, but I later learned that it was an accident where a series of shell of shells exploded all at once inside its tube (I think that's what happened), creating a powerful blast that shook the entire area in addition to providing a deafening, yet piercing boom with a force simulating a brief powerful gust of wind. I'm surprised that the pulse of energy did not shatter any windows on buildings in and around the site. I think that's what you were addressing, as I don't recall such a blast during the Spanish display.

Again, glad to have you on the forum.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 00:06:36

a salute is actually made like that! just pur black powder! some just puts a fe flash! if the salute is like gold ish i think those are the ones that doesnt have but when the salute is just silvery those has a few flash compositions! as for the effect you are talking about is it just a loud bang without anything on it? like an invisible salute shell? if it is like that, yes maltese people have done that! the people from saint mary mqabba did that on their show in malta international fireworks competition 2006! they won there! it was an invisible shells! you can see nothing literally but you will hear the salutes though! i watched it from a video!

vander

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 16:01:55

Hey Trav.

I was there on Notre-Dame when there was the explosion by Panzera S.A.S. Shells of shells are usually placed in ramp 1. I saw the explosion from either on the barge or right behind it (ramp 2) I even have a video. Cause when they shot alot of the ramp 1 shells, the explosion was right between the bunkers (blast shields from ramp 1). The next day I went on the Monrail to see what happened and a huge crater was found on ramp 2. So I'm not sure about a shell of shells, it could have just been either a titanium salute because if it was a shell of shells, the mortar would've been torn off.

Thus is why they have to always have metal mortars not cardboard. In my prediction and opinion. it's must've been a salute.
A salute is loud. All I saw was a white bright flash on top of the barge (ramp 4) and heard an ear ringing burst. My dog was with me and my dad. And btw. The question I asked about where do they place the salutes. If your interested. They place it in back of ramp 4. In difrent directions. And they are shaped in two long crossed angles that seem to be roman candles. I saw many shots come out during the Spain competition. But i'm also sure they are on the floating decks where they put girandolas, fountains, etc. I'm sure they have there.

Thx for reading,
Pat

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 13:13:09   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Pat,

I was actually told that there was no crater associated with the blast at all since the explosion itself took place a little way off the ground. Apparently, it was concluded that a multibreak shell exploded all at once before it could separate into the other usual secondary blasts associated with it. Whether or not it was this or a salute that in fact caused the boom, we all realize that there was an unforgettable explosion that night!

For interest, Paul showed us a picture of the mortar afterwards:

http://montreal-fireworks.com/cgi-bin/photogen.cgi?Pics98/Images/dset5 .jpg,400,600

Trav.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 14:26:26

Here, I have a video of Ipon's Finale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VHAv5Q3oAw
it was taken in 2004. But if this is not as big as a finale as in 1997 or 1998..That's one hell of a finale

Does anybody know what the last shells are? it looks like a rectangle with red, blue and green. What is that? And also I have another question.

At the end where the salutes take place..is it a mine of salutes, or a cake. Cause usually in the finales I see they come from the ground (you can hardly see them but you see a burst of them coming out of the mortars. But in this video. You see a fan in the air that's splits up salutes..Never heard of that..

Btw, just a guess. How many salutes do you think were fired at 7:21?
-My guess....250's range

This is my favorite video of Fireworks!

Thx for reading,
Pat

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 20:31:55

Hi Pat,

You'd get a good perspective of the Italian finale of 2004 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJnOF_a8cc

And yeah, I have a feeling there would be well over 250 salutes in the last minute. This is also one of my favorite videos as well.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 21:35:34

the salutes in ipons show was probably maroons! there like shell of shells of salutes wahaha!

vander

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 18:45:46

Hey Trav.

Today is New Years eve. I won't be attending the fireworks at the Old Port. What firm presented. And if you have a video or a report on it. I'd be happy. I've never seen the fireworks at the old port. Or if you don,t have any report on you. Can you just describe what you remeber from the finale?

I hope it wasn't Ipon...i'd be furious that i didn't attend

Thx for reading,
Pat

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 18:51:18

Hey Trav.

I forgot to tell you..in the following video at the bottom. It's the canada finale. What was that noise? I kept on doing "boom, boom, boom, boom" for like 15 times. Was it ground salutes? Because I was on the bridge then I finally saw a massive sequence of shells. The firings were so bright you can even see the mortars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOz3vBPYBeQ&feature=related

Thx for reading,
Pat

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019