Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2007 Display Reviews —› IPON S.R.L News
. 1 . 2 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 01:05:55   Edited by: Saluteness

Hey everybody,

I created this topic to answer anybody's question about IPON S.R.L. I visited Naples for a week. And I happened to pass by the firm. Very large company!
Btw, I dunno if anyone realized but IP from Germany in 2007 was 'Innovative Pyrotechnics' which I figured IPON stands for 'Innovative Pyrotechnics Of Naples'. Which I never knew but what does S.R.L mean? As well as Panzera, they added S.A.S to it. Even Pirotechnia Soldi put S.R.L. Confusing to be honest..

And I heard with one of my friends from Naples, his dad's friends father works at IPON. I havent asked him that question. But my friend told me, a new firm called 'Pirotechnia Manzo S.R.L' will be created by another firm related to IPON. Which is really fun, because I might move there and work as a pyrotechnician soon. Not exactly sure. But I am honestly one of the greatest enthousianstics of IPON, I had a substitute in my school in MTL who was related to Benito Pagano! I was freaking out! And I hope to God they come back in 2009, I can't wait! And as well I will be reviewng everyday if there is a reply. I hope the topic doesn't go to waste, especially for the IPON fans

All the best,
Pat

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 05:31:24

I heard that one of their factories exploded! so did you ask anything about this??

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 01:47:19

Hi guys!

I've been to Pagano when their factory was still going at Ottaviano. But since this accident, Pagano doesn't produce anymore, they buy from several small companies around Naples. So, unfortunately this makes the production very "unstable" and a shell might look different the next time you'll get it. That's why we stopped using them because of that quality-jumps.
"SRL" just means "limited company", that's the company form. The way I was told with "IPON" is that it originally stands for "Industria Pagano Ottaviano Napoli" but I think they keep on changing that

bye!
Alex

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 03:45:04   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

Oh does that mean that the shells they use now aren't pagano's anymore?? I loved their shells! they are so beautiful and the colors are great!! Does that mean that they won't be doing shows anymore! that would be a shame if it happened! :d i guess if that's true, it's time to look for another italian company who does fearsome finales!! I think all of them does cause they have a rule that a finale should just keep getting louder and not quieter!! It's part of their display guidelines hehehe!

vander

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 15:03:12

Hi!

No, they haven't been theirs since that happend, in 2005 or so i think it was. But honestly, their are much better shells in Italy to see than Pagano's, believe me. The real gems are to be found with small family owned companies doing their own production. I would for example mention Pannella, Romano and Liccardo from the Naples area or Bruscella from Bari. Some of the Sutatas that Pagano is using now are from Di Matteo, salutes and such things from Ferraro. But regarding the finales, all of the (southern) Italian companies would do that I'd guess The ones from Sicily too, again more the smaller companies, large ones like La Rosa or Vaccalluzzo tend to be a little bit more "business-related" (in a negative sense...). So finding a good supplier in Italy isn't as easy as it might seem. We are currently working with two small factories. And as Soldi was mentioned before here, they are good ones for example with a very good own production

stay green!
Alex

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 02:05:27   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

Oh yeah i get you there! i specially like romano's for some reasons hahaha but their show in turi had so much chinese shells that didn't have the best timings! but i liked their kamuro that had a smiley face in the middle! very nice effect! ! :d i like how their shell of shells look like theres salutes in the middle of the "real" breaks!! i heard good stuff about Di Matteo! I love traditional italian show's timings, at first i thought it was ugly but later on i found out that it was very nice! :d

vander

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 21:06:02

Panzera's still good.
Btw, what does a studata lambi look like? The shell itself. I've seen it in motion but not in vision. I've never seen a fireworks shell in live distance (closeup; in hand, etc.). I know it's a shell but is there any smaller shells on the side?

Speaking of fireworks accidents (you can look it up on Youtube) it's a fireworks factory accident in U.K Unbelievable!

Pat

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 10:37:42   Edited by: fireworksforum

I know it's a shell but is there any smaller shells on the side?

No, it looks like a regular cylinder shell. All the sub-shells are inside. Take a look at this IPON 10 " farfalle shell Studatas (of all types) look like that, but may be taller.

Paul.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 21:12:54   Edited by: Saluteness

There is idffrent kinds of studata's!?! I've learned about diffrent shells but never heard of Studata lambi's till 2006. And btw, 10" Studata's as you may say, 10" and larger are from Ramps 1 & 2, the IPON and Panzera video's show from Ramp 3. Here is a video of Panzera's 2004 Closing; http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/virtuel/extraits.asp ?video=779. At exactly 00:46 look at the middle left you will see a firing then a bundle of salutes (is it?) that report. But it looks like it's from in front of the Mondial SAQ sign. I wish I could go there in the fireworks field what a shame. Is there anyway of being allowed? And btw, in the video during 2:31; the salutes. To you, personaly..what Ramp do you think it would be coming from? In my opinion it'd be Ramp 3 (The area in front of Ramp 4, where the roman candles and stuff are set.)

I might be wrong. Correct me on this as soon as possible.

Pat

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 05:39:00   Edited by: Admin

Hi

Here's a link to the picture-page of Pirotecnica Boccia, also near Napoli.

http://www.bocciafireworks.it/foto%202.htm

There you can see some Stutata- or Fermate-type shells, also with a look inside. The small inserts (Pupadelle) are stacked in rings (Fili). Some, like Boccia here have 7 inserts per ring, some have 8, depending on the size. In our own production here in Germany we use 8, because I believe the spread is a little bit more dense - but I guess that is just a matter of choice and taste. The inserts all have a timefuse (spoletta) and are matched with some strands of bare blackmatch. This way, you can arange the timing, so that everything would go in intervalls or at once. If you would have two "mosaics" of inserts, these would then be called "Intrecci".
As for Pagano's stutatas (the 8'' ones) they have 7 Pupadelle per ring, 3 Fili high. You could make them longer, 4 Fili, 5 Fili, but the spread is not so good anymore. A "Stutata Lampi" is a Stutata with plain flash/salute-inserts, they are also used for daylight shows of course - with the only exception that this would be called "Ripresa" instead of "Intreccio". It is confusing, I know...
These type of shells are very prominent in Italy, but we make them here too because they are my favorite And in the US there is one manufacturer doing these very nicely with their own touch to it, that's Garden State Fireworks of Millington, New Jersey.

Bye and stay green!
Alex

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 07:57:09   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

i might have missed it somewhere, but what's your company? it's very interesting how italians do their shells! specially the formation of the stars!! do you know what a pioggio negra or nera is?? sorry i forgot how to write it but it's something like that! i heard that its a charcoal willow that has a very dark color?? do you have any videos? How important is timing in italian display and shells?? it looks like that the timing of everything is one of the most important aspect of fireworks in italy! What are your favorite italian company? What does the shells of pirotecnia morsani looks like?

Vander

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:21:13   Edited by: Pyros

Hi Vander!

Our company is "ABA Pyrotechnik". Italian-style shells is also what I like best and as far as I know we're the only one in Germany doing these kind of shells ourselves, not just importing. It's bad with the manufacturing tradition here, and I don't want this art to be lost so we keep on doing them. And, interestingly, in regard of price, we can do it here for the same prices we are paying for our imported stuff.
"Pioggia Nera" is the same as "Pioggia Oro", just two different names for the same thing - it's a charcoal-based willow basicly. Timing is one thing I consider of most importance with these kind of shells, also with the ones the Maltese are doing. You can either use carefully filled pressed Spolettas or, and this is what most Italian use and we too, a Bickford-type fuse. Main supplier for that is Martins&Martins of Portugal.
I have several companies in Italy that I admire, good friends of us are Pannella and Soldi. I'd add to that Albano&Russo, Scudo, Liccardo, Padre Pio and Paolelli. But it is hard to say, because there are many good ones, every one of them in their special field. Vallefuoco of Mugnano for example is very good, but sometimes it seems that their quality is a bit "shaky", going up and down.
As for Pirotecnica Morsani, I had no personal contact with them and I have never seen them on the local feasts and festivals in Italy, I really don't know where they shoot their shows.

bye and cu!
Alex

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:37:45

My guess is that either he is from WECO or IP. If he is from WECO, I've enjoyed many displays by them. What is your job? Because if you get joined into the International Des Feux Loto-Quebec, I had the craziest idea! But if your interested jut ask. But i've never seen shells made like that! It's like traditional or rare to see that type of shell. I've never knew that studata's were that large!. I know almost every shell ever made! When was IPON S.R.L funded anyways? Is it more than a one generation pyrotechnics firm?

Pat

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 20:33:14   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

oh ok! Oh i also admire maltese shells! their really good very different form italian shells!! I'd like to know how much does an italian shell cost? you can give me probably the average!

vander

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 21:11:39

My guess is about $260-500 for a studata lambi. Italian shell...there is many, thus if u were to give me a rendering.

Quid pro quo; Maltese shell is nearly $600 (my guess). An Italian shell can be all sorts..Roman Candles or large calibre shells like Spiders or anything else. Quid pro quo.

Thus being any sort in my opinion. The most expensive shell would be a 4 mutli-break 12" very powerful with dazzling effects that are yet to appear. Has there been any 12" Multi-Breaks in a display @ LaRonde yet?

Pat

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 21:23:29

i tihnk that a maltese shell wouldn't cost that much because their fireworks are made with just donations and with any normal materials that you see! so i was thinking that it would cost less!

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 01:46:44

Im not the expert in figuring out the prices, just gave a guess out loud. Im only good in figuring size, name and effect. To me loud crackling things from fireworks are my favorite. I dunno why. And it's been long since I've talked with Trav on this forum. I think I'm the youngest person in this forum. Is the a minimum of age? Im not 8 or anything. Im older than thatbut younger's better. I've seen St.Mary's Fireworks, which are fantastic. I saw it on YouTube. They had studata lambis that shot in the air so quickly they detonated a second later. It was incredible. I think La Ronde should increase the size of their fireworks field like one of the docks at Thunder Over Louisville. The most intense finale I've ever seen, aside from Canada in 2007 which my dad said was the best display he's ever seen. IPON S.R.L is a firm I've never seen display at LaRonde in my life. I've seen videos on Youtube but the real sensation is in front of it LIVE. Am I correct?!?

Pat

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 02:42:11   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

how old are you?? 10?? you said your older than 8 hehehe! yeah i could see that ur quite young cause i'm also like you who keeps asking stuf! by the way im 15! I've never seen a display in montreal nor ive been to canada haha!

vander

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 05:01:19

Hi!

To keep on with Stutata as an example, we resell ours (regardless of the specific effect) for around 100 Euros. With the Maltese shells the problem is if you really want them from Malta and not recreate them yourself, it would be hard to get. There is only one commercial manufacturer on Malta (Briffa Fireworks), all the other ones are clubs of amateurs doing it for their local feast. And then there would be a transportation issue... So, for Maltese shells it's hard to quote a price from directly on Malta.

bye!
Alex

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 13:40:52

Hey,

Actually I'm 14. I still know every single display I've seen in my life! It's complicated to remember actually. But I've seen all since 2005 and 1 or 2 from 1998-2004. I am designing my own fireworks firm. And it will be a Canadian/Italian firm. Pure Italian finale! As for studata's..that's expensive! I heard on the radio after Panzeras 2007 closing that an estimated $300 000 was used in the display! Now I am not the party pooper but, where the heck do they get all that money!?! IPON S.R.L in my guess is maybe an approx. $500 000 display as well as Caballer. They are one of my favorite firms, as well as Panzera and Di Matteo. Alex..what firm are you with? What do you do in the firm? IPON was one of the most powerful firms in the world. Up until the accident of the factory. But I think Caballer is still going. They make intense finales and they still continue. I've never seen a Caballer or IPON finale in my life. If it was 2004 every year, I'd see IPON more than once! I think Montrealers feel a diffrence in firms. Most say 'They use the same pieces' but still everything is hand made. That's the incredible part! During a finale, more than 70% of their pieces are used on the finale. And it is certain every firm should recieve a standing ovation on the work they have done. Btw, Alex, with whatever firm you have, have you ever performed a display at LaRonde? If not, I look forward to it!

Regards,
Pat

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 15:37:56   Edited by: Pyros

Hi Pat!

As mentioned above it is ABA Pyrotechnik and, well, I'm running it actually, together with a partner of mine. I'm doing mostly the production of display goods and managing the imports to go with it. We've never made a Show at LaRonde, we don't do that much shows, focus is more on manufacturing and distribution. But I'd like to, perhaps one day...
I don't know what the budgets are at Montreal but I'm sure not as high as 300.000 - fireworks aren't that expensive. We did a competition in Spain with friends, the budget was like 25.000 $. I'm sure it is more in Montreal, but 300.000 would last nearly all shows going
Well, for Pagano, they did some nice shows but the factory wasn't that big actually, I was there once, you could fit it into our parking lot here. Panzera is still going, but are mainly manufacturing roman candles, the shells are bought from southern Italy. All Caballers are still producing a good amount in Spain, which is good stuff. Which one do you mean, Ricardo, Antonio or Vicente? We are working with Antonio Caballer, I like the people there, we became good friends. Vicente is actually in a decline at the moment, we'll see what will happen.

bye!
Alex

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 18:14:09

I think that he's talking about vicente caballer because their the ones who joins thecompetition the most! But i heard antonio caballer's name has changed to zamorano caballer?

My favorite spanish firm is Ricardo Caballer but too bad their not gonna be in fallas this year When it comes to mascetas i love Europla de Belgida very nice digital sequence! But i think that perez and xaraiva are also good!! from what i saw in tarragona! I saw everything on just videos though hehe!

I think that the budget in montreal is 35,000 dollars! pretty big! Do you know which chinese companies are some of the italian companies using? because the ones they use seems to be very nicely shaped! and the quality's quite high!

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 22:06:52

Hey,

I've always wanted to run a firm of my own. Ever display I see wants meto be a pyrotechncian so badly. Including the fact that I want the exact same job of Paganos in my firm. Yes I was refering to Vincente Caballer. What firm is better in finales, quality and style? Vincente, Antonio or Ricardo?

All the best,
Pat

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 00:44:47

I think that the budget in montreal is 35,000 dollars!

I recall earlier figures stating that each competing team receives approximately $70,000-$75,000 to purchase all the materials they need, though more recent numbers haven't been released. I suspect it's still around that range given the wide range of effects we've seen over the last few years among all firms.

Trav.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 02:14:39

Unless the radi was wrong..maybe they must have meant the entire season of cost..But still that's amazing that the team recieves 70-75 grand! Is Pagano going to help Canada's finales anyways? He did with Germany..I wished for so many years I can meet him for at least 20 mins. It would be an utter delight. I am such a fan of his work. Btw, Alex. Since you have a firm. Have you placed a shell in a mortar before? Because I have this wierd question I asked Trav in one of the topics..why do pyrotechnicans put tarp on the mortars!?! I find it wierd. When they call for no rain, they still put it. And maybe a fire can be started..they either put tarp or aluminum foil on top..I've never heard of that.my dad bought aerial shells from BEM (family fireworks) and no tarp is on it. What diffrence does it make anyways? As well I have another question. You have showed me a photo of a studata lambi shell. Now, what does an aerial salute look like?Do you put it in crossed mortars? Or just a normal single mortar in your displays. if you cannot answer these questions then someone might be able to asnwer. Cause my friend wants to know what a salute looks like, but neither do I have any idea. Wierd questions I know. but I might need info for when I do become a pyrotechnician. Otherwise I will not know what to choreograph.

All the best,
Pat

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 05:31:45

They put the aluminum foil in the mortars to reduce the possibilities of that shell lighting the ones beside it! because when the shell comes up it emits a lot of sparks from the lift charge so they need to cover it so that there will be less sparks which could light the other shells! the tarps are placed on top of the mortars before the display so that incase it rains it has a cover! i'd say that their also protecting the fuse from the sunlight cause some e-match or fuse are very sensitive to heat! when SOME fuse heats up it could ignite! hehe! (correct me if im wrong with the infos above )

All shells looks the same from the outside! whether it's a salute, studata, peony, gamboge or whatever! the only difference are if their cylindrical shells, ball shells, or in some cases i saw some spiked shells! The inside is also different! for a salute the shell would just be filled with flash comps! for studata lambi, inside there's many small shells!

vander

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 05:37:47

Hi there!

Antonio Caballer and Zamorano Caballer are the same, just two different brand names. The boss is Miguel Zamorano Caballer, his children are in the company too. I've been at Fallas last year, this year I can't come unfortunately. I liked AC's show best but I think that is a matter of taste. Ricasa is also good but the ratio Spanish production to imported material was too much on the imported side for my taste. I very much liked the show of Turis and Vicente was nothing that got me excited. With Mascletas we were a few times at the main place at noon but mostly down in the small streets to see the street festas there - it's kind of more personal there and not so packed with people Europla does a nice job but somehow this digital tricks are a little bit too much. It's nice for a surprise-effect but using it constantly is kinda boring. It takes the magic away from the original artwork and craftsmanship that goes into the timing and set-up of the mascletas - again, speaking for my personal taste
I very much like the smaller companies too in Spain, like Penarroja for example or Altura. Have you ever been to Castellon for the Festa de la Magdalena?
And for the mortar-cover-question, mostly we don't do it either. When the weather requires it we'd cover everything with foil and this stays on then, we just shoot through it. Aluminium-foil might be helpfull to prevent crossfiring from sparks but we hadn't that much a problem ever since with that. It depends on how closely you would pack your mortar-racks and if there a tails or something like that attached to the shells - but, as said above, we hadn't that much a problem with it.

bye!
Alex

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 05:58:21

oh! Yeah we got different tasted hehe! but their from the same roots hehehe! ) I agree though that vicenete caballer's shows doesnt excite me! oh Turis' show was also nice! i've seen videos from castellon and i've never seen a show in europe! ) just all in videos! hehehe! oooh i think that penarooja's trying to copy ricardo caballer's style ive seen this from one of their videos! And in the show of RICASA in fallas last year it looked like some parts where copied form traditional italian show specially the one before the finale with the many shells of shells! i just think this though hehe! As always, some small companies would come out better than bigger companies! oh i thought ricasa didn't import anything! which shells do they import?

vander

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 20:31:26

I know that Fireworks Spectaculars Canada is a small firm. And Macedo's is very large. Spectaculars performed their debut very seriously with alot of patience. A very nice display with an incredible finale that made my ears ring along going home by metro. I was astonished at what I saw. I knew that our country was showing off the goods, but I never knew they took that very seriously. Royale Pyrotechnie as well is an amazing firm with intense finales. IPON, intense? No kidding! And as well they are a small company. And my mistake everyone, it was Ferraro I visited. They are the lare firm. It's very lonely with no neighbors. Why is the limit 12" at the LaRonde displays?!? Why not 18" or 16"? I've seen larger shells than 12" at LaRonde. Im sure, because one of the shells in Spain and Canada's display in 2007 during the finale had a massive shell.

All the best,
Pat

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 17:42:36   Edited by: paramount

The largest shell Canada had in 2007 was 12". Guaranteed. (They had both Spanish and Chinese 12s there.)
. 1 . 2 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019