Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2009 Display Reviews —› Interview with Team Foti
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 18:14:03   Edited by: fireworksforum

I met with Tino, Fortunato and Sam Foti who are the sound designer, pyrotechnics designer and family patriarch and chief chemist respectively to talk about their upcoming show entitled "Dream Catcher".

The team first started on the concept for the display right after their previous entry in the competition in 2006 though the musical design began in earnest in October 2008. Tino said that designing for Montreal is completely different than designing their famous shows for New Year's Eve on the Sydney Harbour bridge, where Roman candles are not allowed because they produce too much debris.

Tino explained they like to do displays with strong themes, but it's not always easy to think of a theme where the music will be both connected to the theme and also to other pieces in the soundtrack. He felt that their theme this time would allow for all sorts of elements of magic and mystery.

I asked if there was any special pressure competing this year to which he stated that the line up is particularly strong, but there's no more pressure than usual. Since they have won Bronze and Silver before they have the chance to do better than previous whereas all the prior Gold Jupiter entrants this year can only do the same or worse than their previous participations!

All of the pyrotechnic pieces of 6" calibre and less are of Foti's manufacture either in Australia or through their Chinese line called Icon. All 8" and larger shells are being sourced through the US as this simplified the shipping and will include Foti products as well as shells from Lidu, Sunny and Yung Feng. Tino told me there will be around 300 nautical shells, a Foti speciality, as well as an emphasis on special colours such as lime, magenta, lemon yellow and orange as well as their famous photoflash shells. They will also be using over 300 candles and some special "comet boxes" and other one-shots. The display will use 120 FireOne modules with 3096 cues as well as around 2600 shells. There will also be some special effects in the form of very wide bombette fans arching up to 60m up and across the site.

It was fun to watch father and son argue over whether the music selection was appropriate for a big finale or not - I got the feeling there would be a big finale, so I'm sure this will appeal to forum members - though the rest of the display certainly sounds like it will be interesting too.

Here's a photograph of your host together with Tino Foti.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 19:57:38

Thanks for the Canada Day present, Paul. As always, the information you have provided is much appreciated by us all here on the forum! But, my, this really sounds like my kind of display, and I'm particularly fond of those photoflashes and nautical shells (those number at quite a large amount!). Sounds like there's going to be a lot of large shells, too, as what is commonly associated with respect to Foti. It's also interesting to see how the team will design their display around their theme, which seems sort of complex to work with, to say the least, but it sounds truly captivating. It's additionally curious in knowing what sort of soundtrack would be utilized in support of the theme.

And, of course, my personal favorite line:

It was fun to watch father and son argue over whether the music selection was appropriate for a big finale or not - I got the feeling there would be a big finale...

Let them argue all they want!

Australian displays have always been a part of my top favorites, especially those put on by Foti. Their display in 2006 was superb, and so hyper, too! They won the bronze that year, as I recall. Knowing them, I'm sure they will thrill the audience of Montreal on Saturday, considering all the fabulous displays they do for New Year's Eve in Sydney in addition to those performed in Montreal in the past.

Hoping for cooperating weather, at least for the evening hours Saturday.

Trav.

P.S. As mentioned in the weather thread yesterday, don't forget your umbrellas if you're planning on seeing whatever display tonight.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 20:20:13

Once again, many thanks for this interview, Paul. I'm a fan of nautical shells and it looks that we will see a lot of them! As for the finale, the one of Foti's display in 2006 was awesome, with two versions of O Carmina. Generally speaking, their last show was massive. Unfortunately, some technical failures (i.e.: a chandelier never came into life, some effects appeared at the wront time...) let Foti on the third position.

Fred

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 13:39:01

As for the finale, the one of Foti's display in 2006 was awesome

Fred, here's the video of trhe last song this year. Maybe less powerful than Carmina, but still, probably again a very intense finale...

Somewhere

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 14:23:16   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

speaking of foti finales... i wanted to show a video which i found on youtube a few days back

*spoiler alert*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbR9SkML3Q

vander

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023