Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2009 Display Reviews —› Interview with Team Royal Pyrotechnie
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 18:38:32   Edited by: fireworksforum

Very interesting interview with Yanick Roy of Royal Pyrotechnie, competing for Quebec/Canada this coming Saturday.

To cut straight to the technical aspects (I'll return to the music etc. later), Yanick is using a lot of IPS techniques. For those who are wondering, this is a methodology for rapid assembly of a show, particularly the low level effects. Being local to the competition site allowed Yanick to take advantage of the IPS methodology and assemble complex positions for ramps 3, 4 and 5, as well as two 20 metre high towers that will be located on either side of ramp 4. Ramp 3 itself will have 25 firing positions, which I think is the largest number so far this year - of these 25, 13 are major and 12 are minor and they feature products from Vicente Caballer, Zaragozana, Panzera, as well as close proximity material specially built for Yanick by RES and NextFX out of the US. I noticed a lot of fan racks and some assemblages of special low-smoke fountains. Some of the special effects will be used to reproduce the famous fountains at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas.

Ramp 5 will consist of 7 pontoons and feature mainly close proximity material from RES and NextFX. For the shell portion of the show, Royal are using their own line of Chinese shells, Dancing, as well as shells from Vincente Caballer and Zaragozana in Spain, Panzera in Italy (including specially made "large sausages" as Yanick put it) and shells from Rozzi in the US. Yanick said it will be a very large show, with over 200 shells in the 1.1g category. The show will use around 205 FM-16 firing modules controlled by 9 Pyrodigital Field controllers (one being a backup). Yanick said he wants to make sure the show is fired irrespective of any technical problems that may crop up during the display.

Overall, Yanick said the show will be about the same size as his Gold Jupiter winning show from 2003, but that it will be organized quite differently, based on the experience he's had in the past few years winning top prize at many other of the world's most famous pyromusical competitions. Yanick emphasized that he drew heavily on this experience in designing this show and he said that it will feature only peony shells of red, green, blue and yellow. Finally laughing at this joke, (of course there will be more diversity than that), he noted that his style is such that there is never any repetition in his shows, as well as a seamless musical track that took several days to assemble in the Studio Tam Tam, run by Serge Péloquin, who is the sound producer for Royal's pyromusicals.

The musical selection is based on film music, but designed to create a range of atmospheres and emotions for the audience and will include some well known titles and some others less well known, together with music from three Quebec films. After listening to parts of the soundtrack, I can imagine how all those firing positions and two towers are going to be used to great effect!

I asked him how he felt about competing in this special edition of the competition. He admitted competition is fierce this year but noted that competing in Montreal is like being in the Olympics - you don't go to just take part, you aim to win a gold medal, and that's what he's setting out to do. He also noted that winning the Gold Jupiter in 2003 had a very positive effect for him and his company and put them on a world stage as well as greatly enhancing his reputation locally. Let's hope for fair weather for Saturday night!
Me and Yanick in front of the firing site layout diagram

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 19:06:39   Edited by: Saluteness

Looking quite forward to this display. I really hope they bring a powerful finale. Because I know Royale is one of the best firms in Canada. I remember seing a bit of their display on video in 2003. And saw them put a display in Quebec City, which was awesome.

Bring us a trophie Royale! I'll be cheering for you....if the finale is to my likeing (hint: just shoot whatever is loud big and does noise like salutes.)

Good lucks guys!

Pat

Oh and btw, Paul, I see you wearing your Pyrotecnico t-shirt Rock Loves... .

I thought Royale was created in '68....I was wrong Ah well....The older the better!

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 21:37:10

This really sounds like it's going to be a totally awesome display. Go Canada!!!!!

The finale from Royal Pyrotechnie in 2003 was really sweet, so I hope for something similar Saturday night. I'm interested to see both the soundtrack and theme that will be employed. The towers also sound like an interesting addition, too.

Keeping a close eye on the weather this weekend - looks a little tricky, as always.

Thanks for the information, Paul.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 21:43:58

Paul, nice t-shirt! Should we believe that you predict for Royal the same fate in 2009 than Pirotecnico's one last year?

More seriously, can you explain us what are these "large sausages". Is it only another way to talk about roman candles?

I met Yanick a couple of times since 2003. I like how ambitious and competitive he is, and I guess that we should see another great display next Saturday.

Bonne chance à nos compatriotes!

Fred

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 22:17:14

More seriously, can you explain us what are these "large sausages"
They are large cylindrical shells - such as we saw in the display last week and in the opening show by Panzera. Some of them are so large they stick out of the top of their firing mortar!

Paul, nice t-shirt!
I thought it better to wear that one, also from a first time Gold Jupiter winner, than a Royal shirt (of which I have several now as I shoot shows for them). I don't want anyone to think I'm being impartial here!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 04:05:49   Edited by: Admin

To cut straight to the technical aspects (I'll return to the music etc. later), Yanick is using a lot of IPS techniques. For those who are wondering, this is a methodology for rapid assembly of a show, particularly the low level effects.

Is this where the ignitors are pre-attached to a multicore connector which is then simply plugged into the slat or direct to a module?

It would be great to see a behind the scences pic of things like this.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 11:00:29

Why does the International stresses the fact that the Quebec is represented for the first time since the beginning of the competition if Royal already participated in 2003 ?

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 11:11:01

Why does the International stresses the fact that the Quebec is represented for the first time since the beginning of the competition if Royal already participated in 2003 ?My cynical view is that it's designed to get more local people to buy tickets since they can feel extra proud. The odd thing is that there have only ever been 3 participations by companies from outside of Quebec: Hands in 1985, Fireworks Spectaculars in 2007 and Garden City Fireworks in 2008. Otherwise it was either Ampleman and Fiatlux for the longest time and then BEM and Royal.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 11:18:52

Is this where the ignitors are pre-attached to a multicore connector which is then simply plugged into the slat or direct to a module?

It would be great to see a behind the scences pic of things like this.

IPS was a bit of a joke to see if anyone would ask what it means - it actually stands for "Install Plug Shoot" What Royal did was pre-mount all their low-level effects on sheets of plywood, install the ematches and wire everything up to the firing modules. Since this could be done ahead of time in controlled conditions, it makes for a very fast installation. They've done this for all their firing positions on ramps 3, 4, 5 and the two towers. All they have to do is install them, plug in the XLR cables to the FM-16s and then shoot the show

I do have some photos, but I'm not going to put up any setup pictures until after the competition is over.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 17:49:33

And here's my post on Royal display : Mylene et Artifice

Enjoy the show !!!

Page loading time (sec.): 0.024