Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2009 Display Reviews —› Tribute to Michael Jackson info
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 19:58:17   Edited by: STL

Hi everyone,

I wonder when the Place d'animation will be opened on saturday for the M.J. tribute because I want to get a seat as close to the floating scene as possible.

I want to get pictures of the winning teams for my website and I only have a 85mm (that behaves like a 135mm on my SLR); this lens can only work from sections 301 and 302, otherwise I will have to crop a lot.

I wish I had Bob Burch's 70-200 f/2.8 (at least, that's what I think he has !), but it's way, way over my budget !

Thanks !

STL

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 21:54:06   Edited by: Enkil

I gotta say that there's very little information about this Pyjama fireworks display, excuse me, Michael Jackson tribute display, but I'm assuming that the grandstands will be open to the public all day.

A few more info for those who are interested:
- Ceremony begins at 9:30pm and fireworks at 10pm
- The Jacques-Cartier bridge will remain open
- La Ronde and rides will be open until 11:30pm

Oh, and I'm curious to see how many people will go to La Ronde and attend the ceremony. I wonder if the public is fully aware that there's a 10min fireworks display! These fireworks displays in August have attracted a lot of people, a bit more than the non-fireworks Saturdays of August 2008, so the decision of extending the schedule has been good for La Ronde!

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 09:16:34

What camera are you using STL?

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 09:57:43

Canon Rebel XTi (aka 400D outside North America).

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:42:56

The fireworks "tableau" will be 10 minutes long and use 11 Michael Jackson songs apparently. There is information here: http://view.email.sixflagsemails.com/?j=fe921d767664077f73&m=feff17737 76206&ls=fdf517727262007d70117570&l=fe981670746d027875&s=fe2b107071660 37c761378&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe531379736d06787116

But it doesn'r say much more than Enkil posted. If I find out anything else (I'm hoping to interview Paul Csukassy tomorrow morning), I'll post it here.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 11:27:54

Does anyone know if Notre-Dame will still be open to traffic? Given the information Enkil posted, the bridge is still likely remaining open, so it's a fair bet that Notre-Dame and adjacent streets will be as well.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 12:00:14

I would think that if the bridge is open, all other streets will be open too. I would imagine the crowd, if any, would be tiny - just like for the pyjama day fireworks the roads/bridge are still open.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 12:55:50

Yes, my thoughts exactly regarding the crowd. This scenario hardly feels like the night to announce the winners - it's just not the same at all.

If La Ronde has benefited from having the displays falling every Saturday, I feel they will employ a similar kind of schedule for 2010. I don't mind that, really, but just to have the awards ceremony held together with the closing! The way this season is ending is totally absurd, especially taking into account that it's the 25th anniversary.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 16:49:15

Actually it will be 11 minutes. That includes 2 minutes of a performance by someone acting as Michael Jackson.

Tho, Paul Czukassy is pretty happy with the 9 minutes of explosives, saying there will be plenty of stuff. Please do not pay attention the the sync, as the pyro-pieces are often not labelled with the firing time, delay, etc...

Let's just enjoy this. The same way we should have enjoy last week display. And for those at La Ronde, please cheer your heart out at the end of the display. For Paul and his amazing crew, they so deserve it !!!

The grandstands will open at 9 o'clock.

Enjoy !

Mylene

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 19:35:32

Canon Rebel XTi (aka 400D outside North America).

I have a Canon Lens 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM and Tamron Lens 200-400 f5.6 (tripod mount recommended)
your welcome to use and or buy as ive changed camera system

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 19:54:18   Edited by: STL

I have a Canon Lens 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM and Tamron Lens 200-400 f5.6 (tripod mount recommended)
your welcome to use and or buy as ive changed camera system

Well, that's very nice to offer me this ! Still, I wonder if the 28-135 might cause blurry pictures because of the slow shutter speeds that I may get with f/5.6 at 135mm. I understand that this lens has a good IS system, but this doesn't prevent subject motion (and standing people tend to move somewhat during 1/30 of a second ).

Nevertheless, can you bring the 28-135 on saturday ? I will try to get as close from the scene as possible (and thus use my 85mm at f/1.8 and shoot at whatever speed this will give me at 1600 ISO), but if I end up farther, it might be better to take a chance and frame tighter at 135mm than cropping a 10 megapixels picture down to 1 or 2.

Are you with the other media people in front of what used to be the old control room ?

I may consider buying the 28-135 someday, but being a student, my budget is limited right now and I would even not be able to afford the nifty-fifty (50mm f/1.8 => 130$ ) . Feel free to sell it to someone else if you have the occasion, because I won't have that kind of money before at least January 2010.

What system are you using right now ? Did you changed because the lens you wanted was not available on Canon mount ?

Thanks a lot !

STL

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 20:27:21   Edited by: Admin

Are you with the other media people in front of what used to be the old control room ?

yes i am. look me up there and hopefully i will remember to bring the lens.

What system are you using right now ? Did you changed because the lens you wanted was not available on Canon mount ?

I used to be a Minolta user but when i went digital Minolta didn't make a SLR system so bought Canon. As I have a couple of amazing portrait lenses for the Minolta which i haven't used in 5 yrs decided to buy a Sony/Minolta a few weeks ago

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 22:03:57

have never been to any of these fireworks shows in Montreal. Is there only a 10 min display on the 22nd? What happens during the awards ceremony...no fireworks?

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 22:04:47

I hear Cannon is getting strongly more popular than Nikkon. Is this true?

I currently use my dad's camera (Cannon Powershot SD630), which fortunately doesn't buffer overflow! Although it doesnt sound a bit like film grain in the audio of the video. I've used this camera on every finale I've seen.

I'm hopefully saving up for a Sanyo Xacti. But Cannon is my greatest choice. I need something that records the best audio and video but is cheap. Can anyone help me out on that one?

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 22:25:26

I hear Cannon is getting strongly more popular than Nikkon. Is this true?

Regarding SLRs (single-lens reflex, those big cameras on which you can mount various lenses), I think that Canon does indeed dominate canadian market. Yet, I don't know the figures for the other types of cameras. They certainly make good products, but I wish their 1-year warranty (even on pro gear) was longer, like Sigma 10-years inconditional warranty.

STL

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 22:37:56   Edited by: Admin

have never been to any of these fireworks shows in Montreal. Is there only a 10 min display on the 22nd? What happens during the awards ceremony...no fireworks?

the awards ceremony will take place this saturday at 9:30 before the short firework display

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021