Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› Interview with Team Soldi
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 10:19:51

The first interview for the 2010 competition was with Sergio Soldi, competing for the eleventh time in Montreal. Winner of the Bronze Jupiter in 1995, Soldi have suffered from some bad luck in that and subsequent their participation.

In existence since 1869, Sergio represents the 5th generation of Soldis involved in making fireworks. Based in Tuscany, all their products are manufactured by hand in the traditional artisan Italian style. Sergio told me that 100% of the fireworks to be used in Saturday’s display are manufactured by Soldi.

The theme of the display is Opera and Sergio said they wanted to return to Italian traditions but with a twist as some of the arrangements of familiar old pieces would be in a more modern style, but still retaining an emotional connection to the music and filled with Italian soul and feeling. Sergio put together the soundtrack and said that with the type of music he used, the music itself dictated the dynamics of the fireworks. He said that the constant rate and rhythm of pop music makes this difficult to achieve but felt that his choice of classical pieces would avoid this problem.

Sergio’s brother Alesio is responsible for the pyrotechnic conception but unfortunately won’t be attending this year. Due to unforeseen circumstances with the organizers of the competition, Soldi were asked to change the date of their participation – something they were able to do but they do have other commitments at their factory. Sergio said they were happy to accommodate the organizers with the schedule change as they had already completed the production of the products required for the display.

Speaking of products, Sergio said that many special shells had been constructed for their display including typical Italian specialties such as farfalles and various kinds of large multi-break cylinder shells. Sergio also confirmed that there would be plenty of salutes in the display, particularly in the finale. When asked which part of the display he was most looking forward to, he said the opening segment would be very powerful, though, of course, the finale will be fabulous.

Sergio said that Soldi have competed in several competitions since their last appearance in Montreal, such as Cannes and Geneva, but Montreal has a special place in the pyrotechnic world for them due to the complexity of the site – he said it was much more difficult than setting up a barge show such as their recent display in Geneva – as well as a very demanding audience. He said that he loves coming to Montreal and his most intense memories are the feeling of being in the firing control room just before 10pm on a Saturday night!

The technical details of the display are that it will be fired using around 60 FireOne 32 cue modules in collaboration with Daryl Flemming of Kimbolton Fireworks. No use of ramp 5 (the extra floating pontoons) will be made as this would interfere with the nautical shells Soldi are planning to use.

Let’s hope that 2010 brings good luck to the Tuscan artisans!

Sergio Soldi

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 23:50:16

As part of the changes to this site, this interview is also available here: http://montreal-fireworks.com/ReportBlog/?p=4

Please bear with me while everything gets added to the database.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 02:16:35   Edited by: Saluteness

Hey Paul.

Yep, first display is today. I am looking forward mainly because of two reasons:

-It's an Italian firm (bringing 100% worth of product).
-It's the first competitional display to a new decade.
(Also the first competitional display with Ednor, the new ride. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me if it blocks the POV of the audience in the park? )

But there are some things that might be the same like in 2006. I certainly hope they do not have technical difficulties like back then during the finale, and I hope that they do not have a poor choice of track for the finale. AND.. from my search via YouTube, their finale track seems quite short. Although I am not criticizing them already. I personally just was never crazy about Soldi anyhow.

Okay. First off, from what the information you are sharing with us, my attention is caught at the 100% of product is all from Soldi. Looks quite interesting, because I enjoy to feel the pounding of those multi-break shell's and/or shell's of shells (hoping to see studata's tonight ) bursting out of their mortars and disintegrating in the night sky. It's really something.

Sergio also confirmed that there would be plenty of salutes in the display, particularly in the finale. When asked which part of the display he was most looking forward to, he said the opening segment would be very powerful, though, of course, the finale will be fabulous.
Where's Fred and Salutes lover when you need them? :P
I will be keeping my eye on those segments. Plenty of salutes? Or shells of salutes? Cause in 2006, they mentioned the same thing however they fired particularily shells of salutes/ studata lambis. The opening segment, refferencing to what Sergio explains, is usually powerful when it comes to Italian firms I am aware of. I believe either last year, or in 2008, Italy capped off their opening with a barrage of salutes. Really fascinating and scared the daylights out of the crowd. The finale, I will be looking forward to, I hope to see them impress us. Might look like a finale I've been hoping to see for sometime now.

So tonight, we will see if this display by Pirotecnica Soldi will be or . Good luck to Italy. They will be needing it! Enjoy the show guys! I hopefully will.

Pat

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 13:22:59

Sounds like an excellent display. I'm sure that Italy (Soldi) will have better luck this time around than when they last made an appearance in 2006.

Thank you for the information, Paul.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021