Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› Portugal - Macedo's Pirotecnia Reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 3, 2010 23:55:24   Edited by: Admin

Hi everyone,

Post your reviews of the Portuguese display here. I'll write mine shortly. To be brief, this was an excellent display that lived up to its theme - in fact, so far, this performance had the tighter thematic connection. Good product quality and good music for representation.

Other than that, I had a feeling there would be a delay due to the winds, though it is fortunate that they eased to safe standards quickly after. The gusts in between, however, were still a little on the strong side.

Edit: Paul, I forgot to put "reviews" at the end of the title. Would it be possible to fix that? Thanks!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 03:30:02   Edited by: Smoke

Weather became a player for yesterday evening's display as strong winds were present throughout the day and into most of the evening. Although subsiding somewhat, wind gusts still held on to their strong status during the evening, which was enough to cause the commencing of the display to be delayed by nearly five minutes, as an announcement had informed the audience just a couple of minutes before 10:00 p.m. stating that there would be a pause until 10:05 in awaiting more suitable wind speeds. As I had anticipated, winds were certainly gusty for the day and into the evening (which prompted a small delay), but I was delighted to know that the performance would be permitted to go on at roughly 10:05, though wind gusts did not really dwindle considerably during the show. At 10:00 p.m., the situation was a tad more fortunate as winds were sustained at 24 km/h with gusts at 39 km/h compared to the sustained 32 km/h during the surrounding hours of 9:00 p.m and 11:00 p.m (gusts 41 km/h). Temperatures were in the anticipated range at 24-25 C with moderate humidity. Winds were variable between the SW to WSW during the late evening, so I had a feeling that smoke was frequently blowing not only towards the right end of the audience of La Ronde, but also occasionally towards central parts as well (I sincerely hope this did not obscure the display too much).

This was a powerful, energetic and gratifying display that really lived up to its theme: Euphoria. Much of this display, as expected, revolved around exciting, moving and fast-paced soundtrack, causing some people around me to dance a little to familiar tracks while enjoying the fireworks. The opening was particularly captivating (and the most breathtaking so far) with the immediate launch of the shell of shells that had burst into a multitude of deep red stars filling the skies directly above.

Many of the colors employed were quite rich and sometimes in a good mix that often made the feeling surreal. I personally loved the purples and bright yellow/orange stars associated with the candles at low to mid level as well as the combination of red and green stars that were released from those intriguing farfalles. Product quality was superb, especially seeing the beautiful variably-colored symmetrical shells, the vibrant colors in general as well as the dazzling effects - the variety of farfalles being the most memorable. There was one particular type of farfalle that possessed an ending result of a bright yellow-creamish flare emerging from its center following the red stars, an effect that I don't believe I have across previously. It was nice to see some brilliant go-getters at high level once again along with some double-ringed shells. Fans of comets were also mesmerizing and often appeared at low level from the left to right to accompany the activity overhead, as were the fountains and mines. The nautical shells were, of course, numerous and enticing. Good balance maintained between high and low levels of sky as well as from the left to the right.

Synchronization was well executed with some distinctive spot-on timing with the mines and the fans of comets. I personally found several segments working in harmony with the given tracks, considering the fast beat involved in many of them. Transitions in this display were not always as apparent due to the rapid speed throughout the display, but there were certainly notable points to highlight, particularly the more subtle pace in the segment with all the horsetails transitioning from the prior energetic segment. Music selections were appropriate for the chosen theme and most of them were rather enjoyable, as was originally intended by the Portuguese team.

While the display was enjoyable in its entirety, there were a number of factors that I had wanted to point out. Firstly, though the colors were sometimes in both an intriguing and mystifying nature, I sometimes got the impression that a few colors became a little too predominant during some segments for my tastes - one instance being two segments employing primarily the shells of silver scintillating stars, which made those two particular pieces appear similar in design when the representing tracks were obviously different. That said, there were occasions where some of the segments had the potential to be a little more diverse in terms of effects. On a similar token, though the overall synchronization was well demonstrated, there were certain segments where I felt that a little more could have been done in representing many of those tracks, especially some of the more energetic/fast-paced tracks - a few segments, for example, terminated a little too abruptly, or just lacked sufficient energy towards their conclusion. Like Poland, though not to the same extent, the fans of comets were elegant and implemented nicely for lower level support, but again became a little redundant for my standards - they were in an interesting mix when it came to shape, color and appearance (especially the half-fans on the left and right), however. There were some nice shots at creativity in this display, but for other areas, much like Italy, I thought that they were conversely a little more in the way of simplicity. Finally, the finale was strong with suitable longevity, color (including some nice red flares lit on ramp four), and decent crescendo when initiated, but just not getting quite to the point as the pace remained virtually the same with the firing of the colored shells most of the time before the climax arrived. The salutes at the end were quite powerful, though it would have been cool if shells were being fired out of control overhead to support them! All that being said, this was a great effort leading to an overall fabulous performance. The thematic framework was much more understood and better coordinated in the Portuguese performance than the previous competitors simply because it encompassed the critical components that define it while having interactive music choices - this is what made this display stand out a little more, simply because it had direction and relevance. As such, the overall design of the display was very good, considering the use of effects and the general activity at low to high level from segment to segment.

At the end of the display came an enormous roar of approval for the Portuguese team, and I, despite my more negative remarks, felt that it was well deserved. I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of this exciting display (despite the nearly five minute delay), coupled with a nice Summer's evening, and I can say that I felt rejuvenated following the show as it was thrilling at many points.

Continuing Summer-like weather will remain with us for the week with more oppressive humidity, though there is the possibility for severe thunderstorms by Tuesday and Wednesday with a passing cold front (which won't drop the heat and humidity significantly thereafter).

Trav.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 09:11:15   Edited by: STL

Other than that, I had a feeling there would be a delay due to the winds, though it is fortunate that they eased to safe standards quickly after. The gusts in between, however, were still a little on the strong side.

I was also sure that the display would be delayed, but fortunately the only delay came from the floating stage, that was difficult to push aside due to its banners that acted as sails and had to be removed before La Ronde team was able to finally remove it from view.

The display was fun, but I unfortunately doubt that Macedo's will win a Jupiter with this one. For instance, I don't think that the more-than-obvious repetition helped them win precious points with the jury members...

I side with Travis that there were too many sequences that used the same color, but I've noticed more the gold glitter shells and kamuros than the silver shells.

I also think that some segments were too simplistic in delivery : I would have liked, for instance, the colors in "Grace Kelly"s chorus to be reproduced with single-shots, but the sequence used blue peonies and crossettes instead.

Speaking of which, using a lot of peonies like this let me with a strange, "cheap-looking", feeling at times, even though they did compensate with more exciting (and rare) shells. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the show was cheap, as it was clearly the biggest this year, simply that some sequences were.

I won't talk about the soundtrack mix. Refer to my previous posts to know my opinion on this week's

I had fun, but if I evaluate the show using the official criteria, I think that the display deserves 76% (which is close enough to the 82% from the popular vote as of 9:10 today).

Complete review and pictures are waiting for you on my website.

STL

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 10:17:35

I have uploaded the video for Portugal.
http://www.burchcom.com/2010/index.html

If you want to download the video and save it, use this link.
http://www.burchcom.com/2010/portugal.flv
Right click on the link and select "save target as"

Please note that I am uploading .flv files to conserve space.
If you download them, you will need a player to display them on your computer.

The Riva player is free at this site:
http://download.cnet.com/Riva-FLV-Player/3000-13632_4-10435953.html

Once you have the downloaded file, if you want to convert it to an .avi file, you can use this converter (also free download) http://www.any-video-converter.com/

I will leave all of the shows up in this index page throughout the season.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 12:40:05

Awesome display by Macedo's. I didn't really have time to write up my review last night because I went to a club after the display so I wasn't really in good shape for it.
But I was there, watching the display, but without my camera . I really enjoyed this display because of many reasons, to begin with, Macedo's really kicked the music up a notch with more modern music of what we listen to usually. The last songby Fatboy Slim, really brings back memories of when I first heard that song, pretty good track to end a display with. All those flights of shells built up in clusters and barrages. This display was videotaped by Journal De Montreal (not on the ground site, unfortunatley) but from their headquarters and posted their feed on television shortly after. To see Macedo's returning to La Ronde is amazing, they really know how to fix up a display . Not to mention they rank up with the Caballer's. Macedo's reminds me of Grupo Luso with their tailed shells in the final two minutes. Of course they are from the same country, but have similar effects in common. The opening was actually not what I expected, it was big, really big, to start a display. So for that Macedo. The near middle of the display was very coloristic and creative, it matched the songs near-perfect, but still had very good choreograph. The end was quite powerful, not the most powerful (like Soldi's) but it has a chance of bringing Portugal a Jupiter this year (in my book). They managed to pull so much in thirty minutes that if I were a judge, I would rank them to win a Jupiter. However, like most competitions, there are always more competitors who will do whatever it takes to take the prizes, so I cannot guarantee Macedo's will keep that chance, speaking if there are alot better displays.

I think that the display deserves 76% (which is close enough to the 82% from the popular vote as of 9:10 today).

I agree, they did well, but might not have a chance to win the Jupiter if the competitors put a large display with better synchs. And thanks for the photos and your review!

Pat

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 13:24:04

Hi, Taige is uploading the full videos again this year in a very good quality:

Part 1:
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNYQkVB7bvk&feature=channel[/url]

Part 2:
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwTn63IJekc&feature=channel[/url]

Part3:
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pliM5V6JS0o&feature=channel[/url]

Part 4 not ready yet.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 14:03:20

Just watched the show in the video The opening was really good. One of the best openings i have seen. I really hoped that the display would be on the scale of the opening segment but after the opening it became too simple.

The theme was nice because it allowed macedos to use pop songs In contrary i thought that only the first segment was able to convey the theme properly because it was very active. Also the parts that had nautical shells showed theme pretty well but other those parts, i thought that the display was a bit slow moving. Some of the effects didn't really match the songs well like in the rehab segment.

The effects they used were very nice specially the far falles and the different kinds of comet stars they used. I really liked the different kinds of far falles they used. As for the comets, i like the silver ones that became like comets that had mini horetails as a trunk Some of their peonies and willows didn' t appear to be very symetrical and some were oblong. As everyone has stated so far, their effects are a bit too limited. I think that theres 4 main effects that they used, crossettes, strobes, willows, and peonies. I really enjoyed their crossettes because they were well filled and each star broke perfectly forming perfect X's. Their nautical effects were very nice too, big and many The horsetails they used were very good. Macedos had a few nice effects and also a few that were not so good, it would be hard to beat san tai and soldi when it comes to effects i think.

The ground level synchronization was pretty nice, even during the times where in they only used roman candles. Again it would have been much better if each of their segments were as nicely designed as their opening. If they do that, i think that that would be the season where they'll get a jupiter award I think that the synchronization of their shells were not really that good, sometimes the shells matched the music well and sometimes they did not really match too well. Their roman candles were in very good quality. My favorite segments would have to be grace kelly and the one by dulce pontes.

The finale was much weaker than their opening, i thought that it was going to get bigger but it didnt I also didn't really like the song.

Here's my grading for Macedos:
Effects: 8/10
Synchronization: 8/10
Music: 7/10
Technical Design: 9/10
Pyrotechnical Design: 7.5/10
overall: 39.5/50 (79%)

This is just me, but i think that the competition starts right after the celine dione show

Vander

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 14:54:15

I did forget to comment on those brilliant nautical shells seen at a few points during the show, but yes, they were stunning when present (I just edited my post above to include that in the third paragraph).

It would seem that the displays so far this year have tended to be on the more simplistic side along with a lack of a good thematic connection. However, I felt Poland was the stronger one in terms of creativity and transitions, while Portugal had some creativity as well as a more well-built foundation for their display. Product quality, in my mind, has been generally good, and the best finale, so far, was Italy's.

Here is a video I took of the last few minutes of the display, taken from Notre-Dame and De Lorimier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naP_QjAhAK8

And yes, STL, the gold glitters were also a little too pronounced at some points in which they were used. Thank you for your review as well as the corresponding photographs. It's always interesting to read everyone's thoughts and commentaries on the displays.

Paul, thank you for editing the title last night.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 14:58:22

"This is just me, but i think that the competition starts right after the celine dione show "

I think exactly the same !

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 18:32:41   Edited by: fredbastien

As Trav has already summarized, the wind was a big issue last night. I don't remember many displays with a so strong wind blowing right to the on-site audience. Following the (now usual) downgraded official ceremony, the floating stage erratically moved toward the Jardin des Étoiles, whereas it is always smoothly shifted to the opposite side of the lake. Michel Lacroix's substitute announced that the show was going to be delayed by 5 minutes due to stage-related problems and has prevented the audience several times that some fragments may fall on us during the display, also explaining how to safely clean our eyes (to blink rather than to rub them).

The opening segment was the most spectacular this year and the most intense part of Macedos' show (what is not necessarily a good thing at the end of the day). The pyrotechnic began about five seconds before the soundtrack (as it finished with a barrage of salutes and Portuguese-flag-colored mines after the end of the music) with mines of whistles and a sort of multi-break shells of red and blue crossettes. With the beginning of the song, we were surprised with an amazing set of red angles mines with a much more incredible barrage of shells of red stars above fitting for a finale! Previous wind-related warnings made sense as this dramatic opening continued with burning comets which had erupted from nautical shells and danced to (and visibly in) the grandstands, causing some anxiety among the audience. Since I had seen more mortars directed toward the lake as I early rode the Giant Wheel, I thought for several minutes that the remaining nautical effects may have been turned off, but they came into life later and the show didn't suffer of any blindspot, so I think all effects were shooted.

The strongest aspect of Macedos' show may be the designer's ability to fill the sky with various pyrotechnic effects simultaneously displayed. The opening segment was only the first example of that. The finale interestingly began with two lines of red flares along the third and fourth ramps and two Z-crossing cakes of blue stars located on each side of the firing area. Also the soundtrack design was interesting, with a mix of Portuguese-style and well-known music, without the long interruptions between each piece that previous shows have featured. Moreover, it appeared that the sound-system has been fixed and Macedos didn't experience any problem with it.

However, it is my opinion that the show was a bit repetitive and lacked of creativity. Countless candles were used to fill some segments. We saw many of them, crossettes, regular shells of twinkling stars and mines. The richness of colours also appeared limited, though it may be just a rough impression. I would have appreciated more complex and diverse pyrotechnic effects throughout the show. The theme "Euphoria" was not really obvious for me and hopefully some forthcoming contestants will present a clearer storyline.

As the first half of the 2010 competition ends, I think that all podium positions are within the reach of the next contestants. I don't know what to expect from the American recruit, but I am confident that Fireworks Spectaculars Canada, Göteborgs Fyrverkeri Fabrik and Brézac can do better than these first four entrants. I join my voice to those who believe that the competition is really going to begin following Céline Dion's tribute. At least, I hope so because the level of the 2010 competition appears lower than usual at this point. Nonetheless, all these displays were enjoyable and we should keep in mind that we don't have many opportunities to attend similar displays outside the Montreal competition.

My ranking so far:

1. Poland
2. Italy
3. Portugal
4. Taïwan

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 20:05:27

Hey All,

What a fantastic Saturday night that was, weather wise. Here's hoping that all the following displays will have similar conditions, minus the wind of course lol.

Anyways, what promised to be a spectacular display turned out to be less than Jupiter worthy material. From the repetitive pyrotechnic material used to the music not always matching the theme, this display was created with a too simple approach. Even the synchronization felt loose since not all beats were being used to the fullest. But it was the repetitive nature of the show that really affected my judgment. Although a large amount of large caliber shells was fired, by using the same thing for over a minute causes major anti-climax feeling to viewers. For example, I love horsetails. But when firing a lot of them for over 1 minute, you get bored rather quickly.

Anyways, the competition is only getting stared, I'm sure we'll be blown away with the displays which are aligned for the next month. Despite the negatives, this display was still nice to watch. A from me.

My Rankings (I agree with Fred so far lol):
1) Poland/Italy
3) Portugal
4) Taiwan

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 18:05:22

My display review is up here.

It will be interesting to see how the second half of the competition pans out.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 11:24:11

I saw from your report that some of the candles they used were by Ricasa i guess this explains why some of their candles' blues were so much deeper and vibrant than their blue shells

Vander

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 17:14:07

It's funny...after seeing 25+ shows in this competition in my life, sometimes, one bleeds into another, there's nothing special anymore, and from my preferred position on the bridge, the music doesn't really change anything except that sometimes, when the wind is in the right direction, I hear it, and it adds to the experience, but with Portugal and other displays, strong winds in the other direction make it a non-issue.

But after seeing the same shells and effects over and over, some shows do stand out for their creative USE of those pieces. I was lucky enough to catch this shot, of a sequence they only did once, showing from left-to-right (would have been right-to-left from the paying audience's perspective), this rainbow of incredible and symmetrical colour.

The photo is a bit washed out because long exposure of bright colours tend to do that, regardless of my use of an ND2 filter; it was super-vivid and amazing to witness, a subtle use of fireworks before the decidedly unsubtle finale (rivals Italy for the best finale of the year so far). They also used effects we don't see so often, like those weird shells with stars that move in trajectories not in accordance with their muzzle velocity and the effect of gravity. Like this:

They also had these crazy crackling things, something I haven't seen before, or at least not recently...they looked like faint blue-white sparkle-glimmering things, but they made noise:

I'm talking about the things in the air, not the fans of whatever launching from the ground...anyone know what those are called?

Plus, the gold colour in some of those shells was absolutely stunning:

The photo's decent, but doesn't really do it justice...I find gold the hardest colour to photograph because its brightness makes it wash out so easily, likein the left-hand shell, where there was too much overlap of exposure. I love the colours they used and found that they were in no way diminished by the use of gold.

Finally, while it doesn't speak to the quality of the show itself, I'm so happy they shot a lot of those "horse-tail" type shells (not sure their official name)...I could never get decent shots of them in previous shows; it's always either blurry and too bright, or underexposed so you don't see the fullfillment of the slow descent of stars when I try to get these, because I am never expecting them, and the team usually only shoots 1 or 2 volleys of them. The Portugese had a whole section devoted to them, and I got this:

Gotta make use of good opportunities in firework photography because they come up so rarely.

Anyway, this show was maybe less pyromusically creative than Poland (because I could hear THEIR music, but not this time), but looking at the infrequently-seen pieces, beautiful colours and intricately-assembled combinations, I much prefered this show to anything I've seen this year so far (missed Taiwan, but from what I heard from all of you people, I didn't miss much).

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 17:32:05   Edited by: Rovira

The first photo is from the last song, almost the finale. I think it was one of the best sequences of the show, simple and short but using a lot of space and symmetry (in colors and space).

Sadly this creativity was not always present in the portuguese display ...

Anyway nice pictures Chris !!!

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 18:33:02

Very nice pictures Chris - the one with the 1st one is very much like this one that Mylene took: http://picasaweb.google.ca/mylene.salvas/2010PortugalMacedoSPirotecnia ?feat=flashalbum&fgl=true&pli=1#5490252272018116770

Paul.

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 23:32:05

Thank you for sharing those excellent photographs, Chris, as well as providing your comments on the displays. I hope to see more of your pictures for the upcoming displays if you plan on attending any of them.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 00:49:56

Hey Trav,

Ask and thou shalt receive! Here are the rest of the Portugal shots that I liked enough to post online:

Those pics, and ones from the Italian and Polish show are in this facebook album:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2385178&id=13603598&l=d542d6b030

The only alterations I've done on any of these are cropping (all shots are taken landscape, for example, but there is a wide-enough view to get the multi-layered firework effects in a portrait crop), and very minor levels adjustment (because even with a ND2 filter, things get too bright on long exposures...and there's very little I can do about that in PhotoShop, hence the very minor alterations - washed out photos are still mostly washed out after I adjust the levels ). It's actually really hard to improve firework photos after they're taken, so I attack the problem in the taking part with the neutral density filter. It's solved half of my bad photo problems, giving me about a 10% photo success rate (25% if you include the ones that look almost identical to, or slightly worse than the best ones because the team was kind enough to repeat a sequence enough times for me to perfect my technique for that particular situation). Timing and luck!

And I will attend more shows this year certainly, and will try to remember to post the resulting photos in their respective review threads; I am unfortunately moving away from Montreal at the end of the month, so my photographic contribution will end after the show on the 24th. I'm really pissed off at this Celine Dion crap...who's dumbass idea was it to do a tribute to a singer everyone hates with a profound and burning intensity!? I mean, I'll still watch it because explosions are explosions, but I really wish a competing show was in its place.

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 08:53:08   Edited by: fredbastien

I'm really pissed off at this Celine Dion crap...who's dumbass idea was it to do a tribute to a singer everyone hates with a profound and burning intensity!? I mean, I'll still watch it because explosions are explosions, but I really wish a competing show was in its place.

Chris, I think your comment is a bit unfair regarding Céline Dion and La Ronde's decision to present this off-competition display. We are entirely free to not like Céline Dion, her person or her songs. While she is very popular, it is true that many people, for instance among the intellectual milieu, have a love-hate relationship with Céline Dion, as well as with popular culture generally speaking. I'm a faculty in a university which rewarded her with a doctorat honoris causa two years ago and I can attest of this love-hate attitude. However, we have to recognize that the fireworks competition is a popular kind of event and this singer is much more popular than classic and opera music other people prefer to hear during a fireworks display.

Moreover, this off-competition display doesn't cause a decline of the number of contestants. There are eight contestants this year and since a long time, each line-up includes 8 or 9 contestants. There's always at least one 30-minute off-competition display. (I think one edition has featured a line-up of 7 contestants with two off-competition shows.) The off-competition one was usually presented at the end of the schedule (the closing display), but La Ronde has decided to do it at the mid-point of the competition. (The display scheduled for the award ceremony is no longer a 30-minute show, rather a 10-minute one which have been usually presented later in the season, outside the official event, to shoot the remaining pieces.)

I'm not really enthusiast to have an off-competition display at the mid-point of the schedule. It's anti-climactic and I would prefer to have it as a regular, 30-minute closing display. However, it is my understanding that a such display is a marketing strategy to create a "buzz" around a particular show (that is the idea behind the "Feu des étoiles" and a tribute to Céline Dion is obviously wise for that) and to make this buzz soon enough in order to increase the attendance for the remaining displays. It is obvious for me who attend the shows at La Ronde since 1996 that the on-site attendance has dramatically declined.

Though I don't like to have an off-competition display at this point, I don't really know what La Ronde can do else to reverse this trend, so I am not entirely comfortable to criticize this strategy. At least, I think we have to wait for the actual impact. To criticize just for the pleasure will not get us anywhere if Six Flags or the sponsors believe that the attendance is no longer large enough to support the event.

Fred

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 15:23:19

I dunno Fred; the show is a Loto-Quebec-funded thing, and I would never pay to see it at La Ronde unless I was already wanting to go to La Ronde all day and ride 8 rides (with all the lineups, that's all the riding I got in, in 9 hours of on-site time when I was there once on a Saturday). But as for "buzz", the pyromusical competition is just one of the dozens of things that makes Montreal such a great place to visit in the summer, and the economic benefits experienced by the city could be quantified and broken-down by event such that I believe the municipal government of Montreal and its surrounding "cities", plus the provincial government of Quebec could completely fund the event knowing full-well that they will reap the rewards. Everyone loves fireworks! The combined "non-paying" viewing public for the sum of the shows is in the millions of people, and even if just 10% of those are from out-of-town, and even if only 5% of those out-of-towners are there primarily FOR the fireworks, that's still 10-20 million they are spending over the course of the summer in Montreal (hotels, restaurants, other entertainment, etc.), making "non-paying" a non-issue.

I also think that the show could (and would) go on even if La Ronde folded. This is a big, unique thing that puts Montreal on the map, and I am certain that if necessary, the government WOULD step in to keep it going because of the economic benefits, buying up or renting the viewing area at La Ronde and charging people less than the current admission fee to the park to watch from that vantage point.

I don't know that a Celine Dion show would appeal to anyone but Quebecers, and even there, I'm not sure how many Quebecers actually like her music more than they like her fame and her origins in this province. A competing show in arguably the world's most prestigious pyromusical competition would probably be at least as viable economically. If they want a tribute, save it for the closing show, like you said - there's always a show each year (either opening or closing, but in recent years it has been closing) that is non-competing, and a perfect chance for Quebecers to revel in their own shared fame having spawned the world's most loved and hated singer. As for whether her music is more popular than the main thematic musical selections in popular, fantasy movies (e.g. Lord of the Rings), or things like the opera cliche that Italy abused this year...I have no evidence to support or deny that claim. I have actually brought a radio to listen in, once in awhile, when there WERE good musical selections (the Canadian and American shows of 2008 spring to mind, beautiful shows, excellent music, and I still watch the videos of those shows I obtained from this website), but since synchronisation is lost on anyone not at La Ronde (light speed vs. speed of sound makes synchronisation pointless farther away), it's not worth it most of the time (and I am very glad the winds were so strong for Portugal so I wasn't accidentally exposed to their horrific soundtrack). For nearly all of the shows I've seen, the musical aspect of pyromusical was a total non-issue.

Because of that, the only reason I don't like this arrangement is that I get to see one less competing show this year as I'm moving at the end of the month. However, I am sure I will enjoy the show, I'm sure it will be exciting and creative, and I probably won't hear the music anyway! So yes, I'm critical, but I'm not going to let this poor decision ruin my enjoyment of loud, colourful exploding things.

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 15:36:35

I dunno Fred; the show is a Loto-Quebec-funded thing,

All the shows, competing or otherwise, are funded by Loto Quebec as well as a grant from the provincial government (which is still making up the loss due to the cancellation of tobacco sponsorship in 2000).

Since the City of Montreal owns the land La Ronde stands on (they leased it to Six Flags) were Six Flags to fold, it would revert back to Montreal. My dream theory is that Loto Quebec will team up with Cirque du Soleil and link the Casino to a permanent site for the Cirque together with La Ronde, should this ever happen. They could rebuild the monorail to get people to Casino for after-park gambling fun as well as to see Cirque shows. It all makes perfect sense to me!

As for the quality or otherwise of the soundtracks, the primary focus is, of course, fireworks - and that's the main reason people go to watch, not to listen to their favourite artists. Of course, a good or excellent soundtrack is a bonus - and it should be noted that all the winners in the past several years have had excellent soundtracks from both the content and production point of view.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 10, 2010 01:47:02

Hi Chris,

Thank you again for sharing those additional photographs. From the moment the 2010 schedule was released, I was not all too delighted with an off-competition display dead-smack in the middle of the whole thing as this causes discontinuity and, as Fred stated, invites the feeling of an anti-climax. As such, I, too, echo your sentiments. However, the display seems quite interesting in its overall design, especially considering that it isn't a participant. Additionally, it is, after all, a full 30-minute fireworks display to look forward to. Still, it would have been nice to have the Celine Dion tribute as a closing show following the awards ceremony (on the same night) while having a vacancy for an additional entrant - that way you maintain 10 displays, 9 of which are entrants, while having a formal 30-minute closing show (like we used to have) following all the anticipation and suspense during the awards ceremony.

For myself, I am a little more saddened by the fact that there is, once again, no closing display this year, which has me a little concerned about the upcoming years where a closing display, too, may be nowhere to be found. I sincerely hope that this is not the trend I fear.

Regardless of what happens, however, I will always feel privileged to attend this competition.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025