Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› Lac des Nations competition in Sherbrooke
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 21:33:16

STL asked:

note that this is only in International competitions, national competitions, such as the Lac des Nations which started in Sherbrooke last night, do not have that luxury).

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about going to Sherbrooke Sunday to see Royal's closing display. How does it work ? Do I need to buy tickets to see the display (with the music, obviously) ?

I can create a new topic for that (that's my second topic hijacking in as many weeks )

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute ! Royal's show is named "Voilà" ?! Yanick sure like to surf on a successful display concept for a while (not that it's a bad thing in itself, but it's kinda repetitive after some time). I'll probably go there regardless, to see what it's like to see Voilà, lite-version

The Lac des Nations competition started last night in Sherbrooke - see http://www.fetedulacdesnations.com/2010/index.php?page=grandsfeux
and tonight is the first competition display by Quebec's Orion Fireworks.

To hear the music one does need to purchase tickets, but it's well worth it as there's a funfair and other interesting things in the park at the same time, together with live concerts. Single entry tickets are $12 (discounts for families) and week-long passport tickets are $45.

I've been to a few displays there (see the Member's Only Videos section) and it's well worth the trip.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 22:03:09

Good to know !

Though I won't have much time to do something else than watching the fireworks. At least, it's not that expensive.

Any other forum members plan to go see Royal's display (Voilà lite-version, for those who missed my hijacked reply) ?

Anyone attending won't have trouble to spot me, as I'll bring by camera and monopod as usual.

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 10:08:38   Edited by: STL

I take back my words : Royal display was not Voilà-lite, it was Voilà, in all its glory !

I consider myself extremely lucky to have seen twice this extraordinary display. Now that I know the first one almost by heart (if I didn't watch Paul's video 20+ times, then I never did it), I knew exactly what to expect and Yanick Roy did it one more time !

This guy's amazing : force him to use only homologated effects (per the Canadian regulations) and reduce his budget and he's still able to reproduce his groundbreaking display, with all the punches at the good places and the original feeling left intact.

Instead of the 30 minutes the original display was, yesterday's show was only 2/3 that duration (which makes it 20 minutes). The result was that the slight loose ends (yes, some sequences in the original show were *very slightly* inferior to the rest) that I observed the first time were gone and the show really packed a punch.

All my favorite sequences were present:

- The Courtship
- Bummel Petrus (with the humorous golden comets leaping in the water)
- All of them now (with set pieces and fountains instead of the Niagara Falls)
- Wall-E (with 10 meters towers to boot)
- Rêverie, from Séraphin (with horsetails and nautical flares)
- Bullies and Sweet Rock (with the horizontal surfing comets)

I also stood besides a loaded 12" mortar, having gone on the wrong side of the lake and being authorized to take a few set-up pictures by Royal team members (the fact that I have my apprentice level card may have helped, legally speaking !)

Fortunately, I had the chance to personnally congratulate Yanick for his display, having missed the chance to do so at La Ronde and at the Jacques-Cartier quay last winter. I also met fellow Royal team members; it's always quite nice to see that everyone has the same level of passion and excitement in regards to fireworks and is always eager to take 15 minutes to talk about it !

I'm putting up a small review (very negative, obviously ) and a picture gallery as we speak (at this time, only the picture gallery is online; EDIT: everything is uploaded now). Head on to my website for details.

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:05:31

Good review!

Let's not forget that Archangel fireworks out of Winnipeg won the competition this year. Congrats to all the crew!

From some photos I saw posted on Facebook, it also looked like Garden City Fireworks out of Ontario had picked up an award too!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:11:32

From some photos I saw posted on Facebook, it also looked like Garden City Fireworks out of Ontario had picked up an award too!

Yes, although I missed their show, I was glad that they won the second place even with the technical problems you mentioned.

It seems that Archangel's "Diamonds are Forever" was quite a display. The theme looks appealing. I'll check if someone put up a video on YouTube, because I'm really looking forwards seeing this winning entry.

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:15:46

Here's part of the display on YouTube, not the greatest quality filming, but better than nothing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9daxwXrVuRc

Paul

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:19:13

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 12:16:00   Edited by: Smoke

I hope to see more of Royal's displays in Montreal for the upcoming years as Yanick Roy's work is simply phenomenal - last year's performance and 2003's being quite memorable, and both seasons earning the gold Jupiter.

Edit: I also hope to witness a similar display before this season is up!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 23, 2010 19:42:54

I liked very well the last display from Royal, I see the display from the other side of the audience close from the jacque-cartier bridge in sherbrooke.

Very Noisy finale and colorfull product, specially magnesium based stars will strong burst!

A good one from royal this time.

Jerome

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020