Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› Interview with Team Fireworks Spectaculars Canada
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 18:21:36

My interview with Brad Dezotell of Fireworks Spectaculars Canada, is here.

Sounds like it's going to be a great show!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 21:28:03

Once again, a very interesting interview which fuel our excitation about this show!

He also said that, despite the smaller budget this year, because he was smarter with his product purchasing decisions, his show will be about the same size as in 2007

It was already obvious that some cutbacks have impacted activities around the fireworks displays, but I think this statement is the first public evidence that the budget allowing to the contestants (which comes from the sponsors, I think) is actually smaller than in the past. That may be part of explanation about the level of the competition so far this year and we should be concerned for the next years, as budgets are more often lowered than augmented.

Fred

Posted: Jul 22, 2010 07:44:15

It was already obvious that some cutbacks have impacted activities around the fireworks displays, but I think this statement is the first public evidence that the budget allowing to the contestants (which comes from the sponsors, I think) is actually smaller than in the past.

I'm not sure that 100% of the budget comes from the sponsors - I would think Six Flags also is responsible for part of the funding of the event. Without going into specific figures (which I think are still somewhat guarded), I have been told that the budget for pyrotechnics in each display has been cut by about 13% this year, compared to last. The overall budget for the competition has also been reduced, but I'm not sure what this is in percentage terms.

All that said, it's not as straightforward as one might think as the Canadian dollar is significantly stronger this year compared to some recent years, especially against the Euro, so it could be that the effective budget for pyro is about the same as previously. Really, the only competitor that would notice directly is Fireworks Spectaculars Canada, but as all fireworks used in Canada are imported, the same exchange rate effect is in place too. The cost of transport is certainly higher now in real terms than it was in the past, but, traditionally, this was covered by the event organizers so, again, maybe there's not so much of a change year on year.

Brad definitely stated that they were smarter in their purchasing approach this time so even though the budget is technically less, he was able to put together a show of similar size. One must also remember that biggest is not always best too - but a display should be "big enough". I don't ever recall a display that was noticeably smaller than its peers ever winning the Gold Jupiter.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 22, 2010 16:06:56

Thank you, as always, Paul, for the good information.

Brad expressed the desire for some wind on the night of the show, but that rain didn’t matter. Let’s hope the weather gods smile on this year’s Canadian competitor.

Brad may get his wish granted. Although winds are light this time around for Saturday, they should be just enough to clear the smoke adequately - direction, though, may be a little more of an issue as I am currently detecting West-Southwesterlies to straight Westerlies. Showers and thunderstorms are possible through the day (not all day) due to the influence of two areas of low pressure, and therefore a more unstable atmosphere. Humidity will be up as well. More details by this evening.

Based on the information provided, I am looking forward to this display with much anticipation. Go Canada!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019