Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› 2010 Jupiter predictions
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 01:25:33

As the 2010 edition of the Montreal fireworks competition has concluded (sadly), it is now the time for us to make our personal assessments and final predictions as to who the Jupiter winners will be. As such, use this thread to specify your personal choice for the winners as well as your jury predictions. Some justification would also be interesting to go along with your choices, but of course it's not compulsory.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 13:36:16

Hello there;

I've been following this year competition through this forum and the web in general.
From what i've seen in the videos posted by burchcom it's clear for me that sweden deserves a distinction this year. The display choreography and soundtrack were surprisingly innovative and technically hight above the rest (angles, synch and alot of dynamism).
The rest of the podium has only 3 real contenders for me: France, Canada and Poland.
The France show is very enjoyable, calm and relaxing but i think it has some noticeable faults that lower their overall technical performance. Overall the show is also alot more conservative than the swedish one IMO.
Canada's show impresses for its regularity. Its very common for designers to sacrifice certain parts of the show to turn other parts "unforgettable". This does not happen in this display. It is more powerful than france one and shows incredible consistence whereas maybe it lacks some of the french artistic touch IMO.
I must say that poland was a really good surprise for me. The piano starting section is so sublime and well choreographed... one of the bests scenes la ronde saw this year IMO. However, overall, this was probably the simplest and less technical of the displays i mentioned.

so my predictions are:
1 - sweden (we can listen the audience vibrating with the dynamism of this display)
-----------------------
2 - France
3 - Canda/Poland

One thing i want to point is that genius moments like the
-gerbsequence(goteborg 2005) and YMCA (goteborg 2010)
-ring numbers(Luso 2002) and mission impossible (Luso 2008)
-tonight/yellow (pyrotecnico 2008)
and some others i can easily remember by their uniqueness, should be taken higher when evaluating the final ranking order because these are the moments that remain through time and sometimes are not rewarded and appreciated by the jury as they deserved.

lets wait and hope this years rankings are not as disappointing as some i've seen in this competition.

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 15:50:05

My personal choice for the winners are:

1- Canada
2- Sweden
3- France

But my predictions are:

1- Canada
2-France
3-Sweden

For what I've seen, in Montreal, the jury is very influenced by the size of the country. From my point of view the Montreal fireworks competition is the perfect mix of design, budget and location, and that's why I think is the best fireworks competition. However, the jury and the way to choose the winers is not really good as the competition is in itself. That's why I think the jury will choose France for the silver jupiter and not Sweden. I would like to be wrong, and see Sweden in the first or second place cause I think there's no doubt that the show presented by Sweden was better than the french one, at least in my opinion ... Let's see if it happens.

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 15:50:33   Edited by: Lars

It's never really fair to judge by the videos only. But to a much greater extend than the last few years I have a clear personnal favourite!

My prediction for the podium - and personal choice - is:
1 - Sweden
2 - Canada
3 - France

I believe Sweden did the best show because:
- The soundtrack was very exciting. Normally I am much more a fan of film music (the style of Canada and France) and mostly use this in my own shows. But Sweden's soundtrack really "got me" and that's the first time I felt so excited about this musical genre! (But that's just me being weird since I was born with a violin in my hands )
- A "never-boring-show" which kept my attention all the way to the end. It was the only show where I didn't skip forward in the video. In contrast I needed to see several sequences over again
- The best palette of pyrotechnic effects and colors this year. That selection of fine products is really outstanding.
- Great choreography - particularly for the ground effects
- Tight timing all the way through. Some of the best moments are simply mindblowing...
- Flawless execution - I didin't notice any distracting misfires

I never had a chance to see Gothenburg's show in 2005 but everyone gave it great reviews and were surprised when they didn't receive a Jupiter. I hope this year will set things right and "rocket" Sweden to the top of the podium

Lars

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 16:00:57   Edited by: Saluteness

From what i've seen in the videos posted by burchcom it's clear for me that sweden deserves a distinction this year. The display choreography and soundtrack were surprisingly innovative and technically hight above the rest (angles, synch and alot of dynamism).

I agree that they deserve a Jupiter, however, they were not the best. The choreography was remarkable to the soundtrack. I don't believe that team Göteborgs had the best choice of music. Disco does bring back memories to alot of people. But I truly believe it was Italy or France who had the best choice of music. Opera music brings out the true emotions in people, and expresses emotions in the music. Italy probably had the best choice of music (in my opinion). France had great segments with good music, it was vibrant with colors and power. The transition from one song to another we're very well sequenced and rich. But from what your are saying Pedro, France had, without a doubt, the best angles in this entire competition. In some of my display videos (featured below), you can easily notice, the angles of those shells went directly above the parking lot beside the lift hill of the Goliath, and above the Jacques Cartier Bridge. No firm has done that this year but Brezac.

All firms did have very nice theme choices, but others stood out alot more than the weaker displays. Here is my 2010 Jupiter Predictions for L'International Des Feux's fireworks competition:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. France

and some others i can easily remember by their uniqueness, should be taken higher when evaluating the final ranking order because these are the moments that remain through time and sometimes are not rewarded and appreciated by the jury as they deserved.

The jury does not evaluate the firms on simply one segment, it is judged on the accumulation of the entire display. Luso should have won a Jupiter, their choice of music and product was well synchronized throughout the entire display, many others did mention that in the review.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgI52-8Xo0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_88165D0LhQ
other parts are being uploaded, I will update this post frequently.

Good luck to all the participants.
Pat

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 16:36:01   Edited by: Pixelspica

Hello everybody,
I'm a longtime lurker since 2005 and member of the jury this year.
I won't give any predictions (for obvious reasons), but I would like to point out this comment:

For what I've seen, in Montreal, the jury is very influenced by the size of the country. From my point of view the Montreal fireworks competition is the perfect mix of design, budget and location, and that's why I think is the best fireworks competition. However, the jury and the way to choose the winers is not really good as the competition is in itself. That's why I think the jury will choose France for the silver jupiter and not Sweden. I would like to be wrong, and see Sweden in the first or second place cause I think there's no doubt that the show presented by Sweden was better than the french one, at least in my opinion ... Let's see if it happens.

We recieve a very specific training in order to judge the competition and before each firework display, we have a meeting in which we are always reminded on how to judge the quality of the displays, and not the country that is presenting the fireworks. This point has been stressed a lot. They also remind us of the amount of work that it takes to create such fantastic displays so we take this pretty seriously and don't give a better score just because we like a country more than another.

Being a jury has been a dream come true for me and I watched, analysed and graded each display very carefully.

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 10:29:50

i think that this year was a pretty good year. The last three shows were all very memorable

Here's my final rankings (based on the videos posted by Bob.. thank you very much ):
1. France - Brezac Artifices (96%)
2. Sweden - Gotenburg Fyverkeri Fabrik (95%)
3. Canada - Fireworks Spectacular Canada (91.4%)
4. Italy - Pirotecnia Soldi (86%)
5. Poland - Surex (85%)
6. Potugal - Macedos Pirotecnia (79%)
7. U.S.A - Western Enterprises (76%)
8. Taiwan - Santai Fireworks (72%)

Another ranking that i would post is my personal ranking and this is just based on my personal taste

1. France - Brezac
2. Sweden - GFF
3. Italy - Soldi

Vander

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 20:32:41   Edited by: fredbastien

Once again, it's time to summarize our viewpoint about the annual competition, to share our personal ranking, and to make our prediction. In comparison with the past years, the 2010 edition is a bit below the average for different reasons, but is far to be the poorest one. For instance, it is a shame that the official ceremony was downgraded in several ways as discussed in previous reviews. However, we still have decent protocolar activities, in contrast with the dramatic version of 2002. Also, it was difficult to target contenders to a Jupiter prize among the first five contestants, whereas we usually can point out at least one or two among them. But no one has failed to make a good display, and none has experienced any major technical problems (despite some problems with the soundsystem whose origins remain unclear). We can't have outstanding editions without regular ones. And as I wrote several times, I feel priviledged to have opportunity to attend so many displays of this quality. For this, we have to acknowledge those who struggle to keep this event going every years, despite many internal and external pressures. If I was the mayor of Quebec City (where I live), I would offer a golden bridge to Martyne Gagnon and Paul Csukassy to bring here their expertise and dedication to pyromusical art.

Following the show performed by the American entrant, it became obvious for me and others that the last three constestants, who had participated to the competition before, had good chance to be the winners, causing me to write about the "ultimate trio". But the previous displays nonetheless featured some characteristics which should not be forgotten. For instance, I think some pyrotechnic products used by San Taï were among the most complex displayed this year, with several multi-effects pieces and special shape shells (i.e.: the cats). San Taï will likely receive the Environmental award introduced in 2009 and who is rewarded by La Ronde (not the jury). Surex, the Polish entrant, was a great recruit and should be invited again in a couple of years. Though it appeared difficult for this team to keep the rhythm and to avoid repetitive patterns for a so long display (30 minutes is very challenging), the quality of the design was absolutely remarkable. And, for the finale fans, Surex delivered a faux finale!

Then, the anticipated ultimate trio comes! My final ranking is not a surprise for those who have read my reviews since I updated it each week:

Fred's personal ranking:

1. Göteborgs FyrverkeriFabrik (Sweden)
2. Brézac Artifices (France)
3. Fireworks Spectaculars Canada (Canada)

I think that the gap between these three teams and other contestants is more important than in most previous editions, so I would be very surprised to see another team on the podium. However, it is more difficult to predict the actual result because these three shows, while very different ones from each others, were similarly good. I believe that the winners of the Silver and Bronze Jupiter shouldn't be too disappointed, and that the winner of the Gold Jupiter, whatever who it is, should remain modest in its victory! As I wrote in my review of Brézac, this show appeared to me as a challenge for the viewers. I would not be surprised to see it on the third place.

Fred's prediction of the jury decision:

1. Göteborgs FyrverkeriFabrik (Sweden)
2. Fireworks Spectaculars Canada (Canada)
3. Brézac Artifices (France)

Fortunately, we don't have to wait two weeks before the disclosure of the results. (That is one more reason to argue that 2010 was not so bad!) However, it's a shame to not have a 30-minute pyromusical display for the Jupiter night. While the "Feu des étoiles" is actually an effective way to increase media coverage and to bring a capacity-audience in, this goal can be achieved on the closing night and would be a more climactic way to bring the event to its end. The organizers claim they start a new tradition with this "Feu des étoiles", but there were already well-established traditions in the Montreal competition, like the regular official ceremony and the 30-minute off-competition display following the Jupiter awards ceremony. To take care of these two traditions are my wishes for 2011.

Fred

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 22:21:31

Woohoo, I managed to write my predictions before I'm taking off for Appleton !

1. Sweden => 92 %
2. Canada => 91 %
3. France => 89 %

Head on to my website to know the rest of my ranking and to download the best pictures of this season in full resolution (2 pictures per display) :

French version

Google-Translate English version (as if it was useful anyway for rankings )

Also, there is a complete report (with firing ramps pictures and even a video) on the Grand Feu Bleu in Laval right here !

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 12:51:04

Hey all,

My personal choice for the winners are:

1- Canada
2- Sweden
3- Italy

Reasons:
- Canada manged to create an extremely large display even though there clearly was a reduction in budget this year. Not only was the finale long and colorful, but the entire display felt enormous due to the large amounts of large caliber shells. Loved the soundtrack.
- Sweden had amazing synchronization and an excellent soundtrack. However, some of the effects became repetitive.
- Italy had a great selection of products and the quality of the material used was awesome. Had the best finale this year. Soundtrack was also to my liking.

But my predictions are:

1- Sweden
2- France
3- Canada

Reasons:

- Sweden had the best synchronization this year, mixed in with an immensely popular soundtrack that can be liked by many individuals. The material used was also very good, very varied in colors (despite the winds that night). Good finale as well.
- France had a self-made soundtrack. Synchronization was also pretty decent. This display, like theirs in 2006 was highly artistic, which is sure to please the jury. Material not as colorful as Sweden's or Canada's.
- Canada had an impressive arsenal of products. Colors and material was very varied, very interesting to watch. Synchronization not as good as Sweden's or France's. But the varied material kept the display "fresh".

Pretty sure about Sweden, but Canada and France's position may invert if color and variety has a greater weight in the hearts of the jury members.

Oh how I miss being a jury member lol

Dan

Posted: Aug 12, 2010 21:28:23   Edited by: Smoke

I find myself saying this faster and faster with every year that goes by, but I honestly cannot believe that we’ve reached the climax of the competition already. What an interesting edition the 2010 fireworks competition turned out to be, though. Despite the high level of quality and sophistication of the final three contestants, the overall creativity component of at least half of this year’s entrants has comparatively been below average, perhaps partially explained by the lower budget. Consequently, there was a sort of dichotomy to the competition with one half the entrants delivering relatively simplistic performances while the other featured a fair deal more innovation and complexity in each of the displays’ overall design. Many forum members predicted that the competition would really start following the tribute to Celine Dion display, and it seems that was mostly the case with respect to the last three competitors (the ultimate trio, as Fred frequently states in his reviews!). The absence of Michel Lacroix for a number of displays also made the feeling a little anti-climactic during the countdown, but at least a few of the shows got off to a thrilling and captivating start. Nevertheless, it was an absolute pleasure being able to witness the splendors of each display and what they had to offer, and I sincerely thank all of the competing teams as well as the crews at La Ronde for all of their tireless hard work and dedication in making these beautiful performances a reality. I would also like to take a moment and thank Bob for kindly sharing all of his great full length videos this year and beautiful photographs, as well as Rachel for sharing her exquisite photos. A big thanks also goes out to Paul for providing us with all of the good inside information through his conducted interviews with the designers of each display.

A few words about the weather. It turns out that, with the exception of June, my Spring-Summer outlook was on the right track as we received plenty of episodes of very warm and humid weather and heightened thunderstorm activity (several of which have been severe), allowing for precipitation to well exceed the monthly averages. July ended up with a monthly temperature average of 27.7 C, high enough to earn it a title in the top five warmest Julys in recorded history. As far as the fireworks are concerned, three displays (Taiwan, USA and Canada) experienced some form of rainfall with the American debutant having the most intense thunderstorm before the display and a brief heavy downpour during it. Temperatures have generally been good for most displays, though a touch on the cool side for a couple, particularly for France. In terms of wind, the average direction was Southwesterly, and so smoke was usually blowing to the right of the audience at La Ronde. Winds were usually light in nature, but the extremes were seen during Portugal and Sweden, where Portugal had the strongest sustained winds and highest recorded gusts while Sweden opposingly had calm conditions. High humidity sometimes became a concern when winds were light, especially during Canada’s performance where the heaviest humidity of all competitors was observed.

Provided below are my personal summaries of each display highlighting the positives and negatives from my standpoint. Following this, I provided my personal choice for the winners as well as my jury predictions. I then stated my personal choices for other criteria, including best choice of music, best themes and top finales.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Country participant: Italy
Company: Pirotechnia Soldi
Date of presentation: June 12th, 2010

An overall pleasant Summer’s evening to kick off the 26th anniversary of the Montreal fireworks competition, though with unseasonably cool temperatures for daytime highs as well as into the evening hours. Winds were a little more troublesome for those stationed on Northern Notre-Dame towards the final minutes of the display as smoke tended to build a little more rapidly to our distant left due to continuing light Southerlies to Southeasterlies – this, however, didn’t detract from the overall enjoyable Italian display!

This was, most assuredly, one of the more exciting and electrifying displays of this season, and how appropriate to start off the 2010 edition. The sky was often shimmering with recognizable product quality from low to high level and from side to side with beautiful and dazzling effects, including some of my personal favorites: the shell of shells and multi-breakers, photoflashes, girandolas, various shaped shells (such as the asterisk or star shells), beautiful nautical shell arrangements, farfalles, and, of course, plenty of salutes. Synchronization was excellent and offered very good sequences, particularly towards low level, making for some good attempts at choreography and contributing to the fantastic design of the display. The finale was probably the second best this year and certainly one of the better ones in recent years. However, the main challenges that were faced in this display were that as energetic as it was in its delivery, the music-fireworks connection was not always as well executed as it could have been, and this primarily relates to the fact that a little more activity had the chance to be administered during a few rapid-paced soundtrack for adequate representation. Similarly, the music choices were relevant, but many of them had an overall identical feeling with respect to tempo (perhaps due to the employed theme “Opera”), and so the emotions were not as distinctively felt. Finally, the thematic premise was understood and well-suited for this sort of approach, but had been illustrated in a somewhat general manner, which took away a little in the creativity component. Still, despite the negatives, the Italian performance is one of my favorite displays this year because of its power and excitement. Italy stands a fair chance for the bronze because of its thematic concept, interesting effects, great sequences and excellent product quality.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 9/10
Pyromusical design: 8.5/10
Technical design: 8/10
Soundtrack: 8.5/10
Synchronization: 9/10

Overall: 43/50--->86%

Country participant: Taiwan
Company: San Tai Pyrotechnics
Date of presentation: June 19th, 2010

A fair stretch of Summer weather finally made an appearance for the month of June, with the warmest temperature of the month falling on this day. Severe weather was also a possibility for this display, but luckily most of the storms had stayed South of the border, and so we were left with some occasional light showers, moderate winds, high humidity and temperatures close to the mid 20s C.

Despite the negatives of this display, it featured probably some of the most intriguing effects at high level with interesting patterned shells and low level effects. Unfortunately, however, the overall design of this performance was probably the most simple this year – disappointing as the duality of the climate change-oriented theme was so well thought out to begin with. While the theme was apparent, it lacked vitality through the fireworks and, as such, most segments appeared very similar from one to the other, eliminating the transitions and losing the critical emotional context. The effects incorporated into the display were suitable, but the primary problem was the inability to generate a technically-compelling display as most of the sequences were just average. Music selections, though, were carefully considered and the organizational component was fairly decent.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 8.5/10
Pyromusical design: 6/10
Technical design: 6/10
Synchronization: 7/10

Overall: 36/50--->72%

Country participant: Poland
Company: Surex
Date of presentation: June 26th, 2010

Unseasonably cool weather gripped much of Eastern Canada that evening with highs barely striking 20 C and overnight lows below 15 C, although borderline moderate-high humidity, fortunately, made it feel warmer than it actually was in reality. Winds were often uncooperative in both speed and direction for folks at La Ronde as the smoke was occasionally blowing towards central sections and right portions of the audience. Smoke buildup also became problematic when the display became more active due to near-high humidity present in combination with light winds.

The debutant country/company made an overall excellent effort with their display, titled “Believe”, as a newcomer in Montreal as it possessed fair thematic direction, a variety of effects at all levels and good quality material. The use of the effects was adequate during many soundtracks to reveal critical aspects defining them. The fans of comets were particularly striking (notably with the music) and were a signature component to this performance in supporting upper level activity, assisting in maintaining good symmetry and balance. Overall, this was a very enjoyable display and had a generally good design that was conducive to allowing for some particularly effective transitional points. The negative attributes are that though the transitions were noticeable, there were times where the changes in pace were less distinctive due to the similar firing patterns employed towards the conclusion of a number of segments, in spite of the differences in feel in those soundtrack. Some elongated pauses were also witnessed in between segments, though this may have related to technical problems at the time. The effects utilized were good and again in a fair variation, but the fans of comets towards lower level quickly became much too redundant for my tastes. Product quality was good, but color variations were lacking at numerous points in this display considering that a number of tracks were certainly inviting for a nicer mix. A larger diversity in shells at higher level would have also been appreciated. Finally, the theme somewhat worked well with the display, but there were several points where it was not always so clear through the fireworks and some of the music selections used, which took away a little of the emotional concept that was originally intended. Overall, however, this was a well delivered debut performance from Surex and one of those that leaned on the more creative side, but with the last three competitors already at such high standards, it may prove to be difficult for Poland to secure a bronze Jupiter. I hope to see Poland once again in the upcoming years amongst the competitors.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 8/10
Technical design: 8/10
Synchronization: 8.5/10

Overall: 41.5/50--->83%

Country participant: Portugal
Company: Macedo’s Pirotechnia
Date of presentation: July 3rd, 2010

Following a small stretch of unseasonably cool conditions (especially for Canada Day), Summer weather made its graceful return from July 2nd with a start of what appeared to be one of the most intense upcoming heat wave in Southern Quebec. Evening temperatures for the Portuguese display were valued at 24-25 C with moderate humidity. Conditions certainly were “perfect” for this display, but not in the strictest sense as strong winds became an issue through the day and into the evening hours, prompting a five minute delay to the performance. Once started, the winds subsided somewhat temporarily during the fireworks, but gusts still occasionally held onto their strong status.

This was a very enjoyable display with good quality products and music selections. The thematic framework was typically better connected to the display than a number of competitors this year and possessed some ideal effects in support of the various soundtrack used. Fairly good synchronization was maintained for the most part, including some distinct sequences along low level with the mines and fans of comets. Unfortunately, this performance did suffer much with redundancy as similar firing patterns were withheld in different segments even though the tempo in soundtracks was often clearly different – this is a pity as the display had the potential to be so active when the moments presented themselves and because the theme (Euphoria) invited it, although the opening was the best this year. Similarly, the transitions were not always appealing as there was often a lack of sufficient energy towards the concluding of segments while some songs faded abruptly. In addition, the use of certain effects and/or colors became somewhat clichéd, such as the shells of silver scintillating stars, as well as those that were of the gold variety. Like Poland, fans of comets also became a little too redundant for my tastes - the various repetitions therefore did not really justify the sort of emotional changes or transitions that I was awaiting, or what was being articulated by the team initially. The finale was actually not too bad as it was fairly enduring with good color mixtures, but just not to the point as the level of pace remained the same for most of its longevity – I was readily anticipating a foray of shells bursting out of control towards the end. Altogether, this was an enjoyable display that was surely a crowd-pleaser, but I was expecting a little more since the thematic connection was relevant – a connection that was lacking this year.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 8/10
Technical design: 7.5/10
Soundtrack: 9/10
Synchronization: 8/10

Overall: 41/50--->82%

Country participant: United States
Company: Western Enterprises
Date of presentation: July 17th, 2010

The only performance to have on-site severe weather through the day. A powerful early-evening multicell thunderstorm was hovering over much of the central and Eastern portions of the island of Montreal, bringing enduring pelting rains, pea-sized hail and intense lightning, one discharge of which struck a couple who were seeking shelter underneath a tree while awaiting the fireworks on Notre-Dame street. Just passed mid way into the display, a four minute heavy downpour came rolling through as a large congestus cloud moved overhead, which clouded the display somewhat at the time. Temperatures remained in the low 20s C in combination with high humidity and light winds from the South to Southeast.

Following a minute of darkness, the display got off to an appealing start and promised to have some enjoyable sequences. The overall delivery of the American debutant’s performance was very unique with some interesting sequences and a fair number of good effects to reinforce their various soundtracks. While the theme (Love Reigns Over Us) was understood, there were points where the connection was not so obvious as the emotions were not as well evoked. The technical design was decent, but there were a numerous sections in the display that possessed redundancy and simplicity as the firing scheme often felt identical, which didn’t permit for distinctive transitions between pieces. The soundtrack was good, but some choices felt deviant from the overall flow experienced within the rest of the tracks. The display also appeared disproportional due to a central focus on mid to high level. I did particularly liked the interplay of colors from time to time, especially those unique shells that possessed stars that flared into two colors before completely fading – this was a particularly original approach to the synchronization criterion in between. Product quality was good, but some of the colors, perhaps because of the high moisture content following the rains, tended to drown quickly. Overall, this was a good effort from the debutant American team, but it was one of those displays that felt a little anti-climatic because the set expectations were undoubtedly high. The less complex nature of the display may have partially been attributed to the weather as some of the low level effects either malfunctioned following the storms or were set off prematurely during them earlier on.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 7/10
Pyromusical design: 7.5/10
Technical design: 7.5/10
Soundtrack: 8/10
Synchronization: 8/10

Overall: 38/50--->76%

Country participant: Canada
Company: Fireworks Spectaculars Canada
Date of presentation: July 24th, 2010

Showers and isolated thunderstorms were the backdrop during the afternoon hours as well as scattered showers making an appearance during the early evening period, including on and off through the course of the Canadian display (typical for Canada fireworks). Temperatures were very warm at 25-26 C during the display under light SW winds with the heaviest humidity present of all contestants this year.

The extravagant display put on by team Canada surely merits a Jupiter this year. Fireworks Spectaculars’ “spectacular” display was one of those that satisfied the tastes held by all kinds of spectators (as was the case with the team’s display in 2007) – whether it was that you were enthralled by power, creativity, good soundtrack, theme, or a grand finish, all expectations were diligently fulfilled. I was totally enamored with the diversity of product used in this display, and the choreography was simply magnificent. Some of the most enticing and captivating effects were the brilliant and massive nautical shells as well as the rapid sequences of cakes, gerbs and strobes. The overall appeal of the display was inspiring and well tied into the theme, “Heroes”. It is my opinion that the theme was actually well demonstrated through both the soundtrack and fireworks alike – this notion is not necessarily derived from a direct sense, but rather that the display indirectly commanded respect in its overall feel. The arrangement of the soundtrack also invited subtle emotional transitions (transitions from one segment to the next were seamless), augmented by the choice of effects chosen for representation. There was a myriad of colors to support the display that were often in a well coordinated mix while product quality was clearly apparent. The challenge of the Canadian display was its size, but I personally thought that the team did a wonderful job in keeping the display very symmetrical from high to low level while maintaining the (often) wide right-left extent. One criticism was that the Pink Panther segment, though it was one of my personal favorites, was a little random as compared to the rest of the soundtrack used. As such, this did take something away from the coherence of the theme as well as leading to a feeling of discontinuity. Also, synchronization was not always as tight in some spots relative to others. All that said, this display was a true work of art and, as Dan and myself have stated previously, is a great instance that a beautifully crafted display can be accomplished even under the influence of a tighter budget. The finale ranks the best for me this year and strong enough to be a part of my list of honors for most memorable finales! Canada must be a winner.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 9.5/10------------>great variety in material and soundtrack augmented by suitable effects.
Pyromusical design: 9/10
Technical design: 9.5/10
Soundtrack: 9.5/10
Synchronization: 9/10

Overall: 46.5/50--->93%

Country participant: Sweden
Company: Göteborgs Fyrverkeri Fabrik
Date of presentation: July 31st, 2010

Comfortable weather conditions were present for this display with metropolitan evening temperatures around 22 C and low humidity. Winds, however, were the lightest of the season and became more of an issue towards the second half of the display as there were calm winds present when the display had more in the way of activity and vehemence.

Following Canada’s delightful and highly successful performance, Sweden came along with the most electrical, fortifying and literally interacting display of this year. Sweden’s display was easily the best choreographed with a beautiful spectrum of colors and effects. The best sequences were felt at low level with the single shot comets, cakes, mines, nautical strobes and gerbs as they all had spot-on timing with the selected soundtrack, which further made each and every music selection more engaging. Beautiful angled shots were also observed along low level and along the water. Choice of music used by Sweden was probably amongst the most enjoyable sets I’ve ever witnessed, to the point where many spectators around me (myself included) just couldn’t help but go with the beat. Truth behold, the fireworks themselves were literally dancing with the music – the YMCA segment being one of the most memorable with the YMCA letters being lit. The success of this display was brought about not only with the quality of its design and organization, but more importantly the ability to enforce its theme (Memories of a DJ) concretely as well as defining an already enjoyable selection of soundtrack. The colors were flamboyant and the transitions in pace were apparent, feeling the emotions distinctively in “I’ll Find My Way Home” and “True Colors” before returning to that more energetic feel. My only minor criticism was that, as ingenious as the synchronization was, I felt that the diversity of the performance was a touch hindered because there was more emphasis placed on the low level effects, giving off a feeling of slight repetition in that regard. The finale was excellent, but perhaps an elongated version of “Sandstorm” would have been more appropriate for the final piece instead of that of the penultimate. Overall, Sweden is definitely a Jupiter winner and well suited for the gold as well.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 9/10
Pyromusical design: 9.5/10
Technical design: 9/10
Soundtrack: 10/10------->They earn this score from me.
Synchronization: 10/10------>Beautiful choreography.

Overall: 47.5/50--->95%

Country participant: France
Company: Brézac Artifices
Date of presentation: August 7th, 2010

Probably the most ideal weather of the season was present for France’s display with light SSW winds (occasional moderate breezes) and low humidity. Unseasonably cool temperatures and light winds, however, sometimes made things a little chilly, but conditions were suitable in bringing out the quality of this display.

France concocted a display that took on a different approach as compared to what we were used to this season, for it was truly artistic in its overall design more than anything else. The theme employed, “Our Earth”, was also the most complex and difficult to grasp unless you had one of those nice and handy brochures that were distributed to spectators on site, guiding them through the highlights of the display and its subthemes. Much of the display was dedicated in illustrating the principal elements of the Earth, the four seasons and various moods, including anger and serenity. In the end, I found myself truly appreciating the French display because of its ability to some extent successfully execute a challenging thematic framework by demonstrating the relevance and significance of our planet Earth in a very creative and innovative tone. The effects used were in a fair combination with a larger pyrotechnic diversity at low level, including some elegant nauticals, fans of comets and a variety of cakes. Synchronization was excellent throughout and symmetry at all levels of sky was scarcely lost. The primary problem for myself in this display was the lack of adequate color richness as there tended to be a reliance on gold/beige shells of kamuros at mid to upper altitudes with a similar color arrangement at low level – this withdrew some of the complexity of the display at times as well as making it appear less diverse in product. The theme was generally understood, but there were points where it became difficult to identify as to how the theme was expounded through several of the selected tracks (especially for someone without a nice and tidy brochure!). The moods (anger, etc) attached to the theme also seemed a little deviant and I therefore would have personally preferred it if the display withheld an all-natural context. The finale was elongated and all gold, but appeared to simply be several smaller pieces crammed into the allocated four minutes and offered little crescendo. All in all, the French are certainly in contention for a Jupiter this year (bronze in my mind) because of the overall delivery of the display in terms of its original design, interesting sequences, the emotional bond and the quality of the material used.

Pyrotechnical pieces: 8.5/10
Pyromusical design: 9/10
Technical design: 8.5/10
Soundtrack: 9.5/10
Synchronization: 9.5/10

Overall: 45/50--->90%

After giving it copious amounts of thought, it is to my belief that the jury will select Sweden for first place as it had the most enjoyable music (one of the best of all time) and the best and most appreciated choreography this season. The emotions were apparent, especially when the display transitioned over to the two slower segments, and the theme was the most tightly enforced of all competitors, making it stand out immensely in both coherence and clarity. Canada also is, in my opinion, in good standings for the gold, simply because it featured a large array of products and due to its ability in carrying out the theme with relevance and distinction. Though the synchronization was not quite as apparent as Sweden, I personally found that the overall soundtrack was well reinforced and flowed fabulously with the display, giving it a classy feeling and some form of artistry. Colors were diverse, in general, and the width of the display was the widest this year. Canada also offered some of the best supporting high and low level pyrotechnics and possessed the best finale, in my opinion. France was the more artistic display of the season and had a good conceptual design, but lacked the diversity in effects as compared to both Canada and Sweden – this is perhaps due to the monochromatic nature of the display often relying on the gold, beige and silver colors. The theme was well represented, but it was not always so clear as to what element/mood/season was being conveyed. At the very end for my personal choices, I am still having a hard time choosing between both Canada and Sweden for 1st place as they are two very well deserving candidates for the gold. As such, though I am leaning towards Canada by a micrometer (namely because of its size, emotional feel and diversity), I really would be extremely delighted if either Canada or Sweden secures the gold Jupiter because I enjoyed both displays tremendously.

Trav’s jury predictions:

1st: Sweden
2nd: Canada
3rd: France

Trav’s personal choice:

1st: Canada
2nd: Sweden
3rd: France

Best choice of music:

1. Sweden
2. Canada
3. France
4. Portugal

Most intriguing effects:

1. France
2. Taiwan
3. Italy
4. Canada
5. Sweden

Best quality products:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. France
4. Italy

Highest color richness:

1. Canada
2. Italy
3. Sweden

Best devised and represented theme:

1. Sweden
2. Canada
3. Italy
4. Portugal
5. France

Best sequences:

1. Sweden
2. Canada
3. France
4. Italy

Most powerful displays:

1. Canada
2. Italy
3. USA

Best opening segment:

1. Portugal
2. Sweden
3. France

Top finishers:

1. Canada
2. Italy
3. Sweden

Sounds like a battle between Sweden and Canada for 1st, but there’s always the possibility for the unexpected in the final results!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 08:49:39

Trav, I'm really impressed by all efforts you put into your weekly reviews and this annual summary. I was delighted to read it because it like to see all the season displayed in a short time!
You should really apply for the jury (and bring a printed version of your reviews at the interview) which needs people dedicated like you (though it would be a huge lost for us to not having you on the forum for one season...). It is also a great benefit to have a meteorologist to supply the latest and most precise weather forecasts before each display. One night in the grandstands, I have had a discussion with other fireworks followers about this chance to have an in-house meteorologist in the forum. As a loyal reader, I can testify that you were remarkably accurate, including with the wind direction (which is always an issue for on-site audience).

Fred

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 09:17:34   Edited by: PyroDan

Wow Trav.

As Fred mentioned, I tip my hat to you as well for this fantastic summary of the entire 2010 season. And of course, I thank you again for the very precise weather reports you gave all season long. I trusted more your comments then what Meteo Media would say on TV lol .

Dan

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 15:29:00

My season summary and predictions are here

with my personal choice being

* Gold: Göteborgs Fyrverkeri Fabrik
* Silver: Fireworks Spectaculars Canada
* Bronze: Brézac Artifices

and my Jury predictions being the same, though with the small possibility that FSC will get Bronze instead of Brézac and the even smaller possibility that Macedo's will replace Brézac.

We will know tomorrow!

Paul

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 00:31:53   Edited by: Smoke

Thank you both, Fred and Dan, for your good comments. I very much enjoyed writing my summary for the 2010 fireworks competition (although I apologize for the little typos scattered here and there) as well as providing the weather reports throughout the Spring-Summer. The weather models, for the most part, did a great job simulating atmospheric conditions as we arrived closer to each Saturday, though the trickiest weather was for the North American displays. All in all, I'm delighted to know that the forecasts were of great use and were accurate, especially with respect to the winds. And perhaps I will consider on applying for a jury member position for next year, we'll see.

As for the awards ceremony tonight, does anyone have an idea as to when the winners will be announced approximately? Normally, it's between 9:30 to 9:45, but I'm not entirely positive about this year.

Thank you, Paul, for providing your interesting summary of the 2010 season as well. It seems there is a general consensus among forum members for the Jupiter-winning displays of 2010.

*And a very happy birthday to Enkil!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 09:46:15

As for the awards ceremony tonight, does anyone have an idea as to when the winners will be announced approximately? Normally, it's between 9:30 to 9:45, but I'm not entirely positive about this year.

The awards ceremony is scheduled to start at 9:15. The winners should be announced around 9:30. But with all the changes about the official ceremonies this year, nothing is sure! La Ronde has announced that the press release will appear on CNW at 9:45.

Fred

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 11:23:06

Thank you for the information, Fred. I guess I'll stay tuned in on 105.7 Rhythme FM from 9:00 p.m, just in case of anything erratic. I'm not even entirely sure if the bridge and De Lorimier/Notre-Dame street will be closed for this evening since the display is only 10 minutes in duration.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 11:46:20

Does the Jury get any opportunity at all to revise marks they've given a team?
The reason I ask, is I have watched the videos multiple times now, and I really feel that Brezac had in my opinion, the strongest display. But that was not my immediate feeling after the show. I knew they'd shot a good one - I loved the music, they had great timing, had a good mixture of high and low level products. The multicolour scene with the nauitcal pieces, and comets fired to form a rectangle was super!
But the buzz after the GFF show is hard to ignore. They used music that had people dancing in their seats, humming along. The syncro on low level pieces was bang on. I found that the Dance Party theme was a bit too easy, but they have to score full marks.
In the end though, I watch this display on film, and it's tough to actually stay interested right throughout. The music now irritates me - I prefer a less intrusive soundtrack. And I wish I seen some high level syncro. We saw that they could do it with the gerbs, comets, strobes... let's see some shell sequences.
The Canada show deserves a Jupiter, that seems to be agreed on this forum. Epic has been used to describe the soundtrack, I really enjoyed it live, and again in video. The Pink Panther song really seems out of place, and I don't think the finesse was there for this song. But the rest had great flow, a few pieces that either appearred to not fire (or a really odd sense of off-balance display) detracted from the overall feel - think the one fast zipper cake in the right and no pair in the left. This is out of a shooters hand at this point of the dispaly, and I feel it hard to penalize a designer for this, but it was noticeable a couple times.

My personal ranks:
Brezac
FSC
GFF

Jury predictions:
GFF
FSC
Brezac

Very off topic but I thought I'd bring it up. Why did they bother with the Celine Dion show? It really seemed to break the competition in 2 halves, unfortunately they seemed to be a weak side and strong side to then split. Why not go one night less, and shoot a show for Jupiter night if $ is the issue. Or bring in another deserving country and have a real show?

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 12:44:17

Why not go one night less, and shoot a show for Jupiter night if $ is the issue. Or bring in another deserving country and have a real show?

Those were exactly my thoughts (as well as those that others have expressed) since the schedule was first released. It feels so odd in not having a 30 minute display taking its rightful place following all of the anticipation associated with the awards ceremony and to commemorate the competition in its entirety. As Fred and myself have stated previously, I, too, hope that this is not in fact the new trend for the upcoming years.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 20:48:05   Edited by: Salutes lover

Bonsoir tout le monde,

Ce soir, nous connaitrons les gagnants pour l'édition 2010 des Feux. Je voulais simplement partager avec vous, le décompte des pays participants selon mes goûts et ce ne sont en rien des prédictions des gagnants.

Alors voici ma liste, avec des commentaires pour certains participants:

8. Taiwan

7. États-Unis

6. France

5. Portugal (spectacle dont la finale se termina par de nombreux "salutes" qui ont perdurés....ce qui me procure toujours un véritable plaisir)

4. Italie (j'ai eu beaucoup de difficultés à choisir entre l'Italie et la Pologne pour ce rang)

3. Pologne (MON JUPITER DE BRONZE) Pays dont l'histoire est imprégnée d'invasions et de guerres....ce qui a été démontré et ce avec grand succès au courant de sa finale dramatique....raids aériens, bombardements multiples, musique plutôt du type militaire. Bravo à la Pologne!

2. Suède (MON JUPITER D'ARGENT) Trame musicale bien choisie car elle plaît au grand public en général, spectacle très vivant, mouvementé.

1. Canada (MON JUPITER D'OR) Quelle que soit le choix du jury, je décerne sans hésitation, le Jupiter d'Or a une firme qui a su m'émouvoir dès le début de sa performance. Un spectacle grandiose dont je me souviendrai longtemps.....TRÈS longtemps! Et que dire de cette finale! J'ai regardé maintes fois le clip (merci mille fois à Bob ) à partir de 24 minutes et 42 secondes jusqu'à la toute fin du clip. En effet, à partir de 24min42sec, Firework Spectaculars nous prépare, nous guide, nous reconduit et nous mène lentement mais sûrement vers cette finale prolongée, bien étirée dans le temps et accompagnée de cette musique de Vangelis que l'on nomme "Voices" (musique qui ne pouvait que nous emmener à une finale dramatique) vers cette fin imprégnée d'une intensité et d'un synchronisme qui m'ont tout simplement envahit!!! Bravo et MERCI de nous avoir donné un tel spectacle.

Je dois quitter dans quelques minutes pour aller voir ce dernier feu qui sera court, mais pour moi, ce sera la fête......après plusieurs années d'attente, j'ai finalement vu cette année, une finale qui a satisfait toutes mes attentes. Merci Fireworks Spectacular!!!

Pierre

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021