Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2012 Display Reviews —› 2012 official results
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 18:32:12

Hi guys,

Please post the official 2012 results here!

I will be quite anxious over the next three hours!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 22:10:08

1. USA
2. Portugal
3. Italy

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 23:57:57   Edited by: Duncan_S

Well, that's definitely a surprise. Did USA really win? I'm not sure that anyone really expected that.

I thought that their display was quite good - particularly the sequence set to Stravinsky's Firebird Suite - but, to me, it didn't have the impact that previous winning displays had.

That said, congratulations to Atlas and all of the competitors. We're so lucky to live in a city with such an amazing annual competition. I'm sad that it's over, but can't wait for next year!

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 00:36:16

Wow, I can't believe that the official results almost matched my personal choices. I just had the United States and Italy in the opposite order! Had Grupo Luso Pirotecnia won the gold Jupiter, however, I would have finished that line that I've itched to say for four years, in accordance with their 2008 theme: "And The Winner Is...Grupo Luso Pirotecnia of Portugal"!

Congratulations to all of the winning entrants of 2012, and for those who did not make it on the podium should know that they were winning displays in their own right! The decision was truly difficult this year.

As for the performance tonight, this was a good display by Panzera, and it was nice to see a pleasing finale! Glad to see that the weather also followed closely to what was forecasted.

I'm really feeling the depression settling in now, but hey, we still have August to enjoy, and there's July-like weather on the way for this weekend. I think the real despair starts after the Labor Day weekend!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 02:09:38

The "people's choice" award went to Italy.

Soundtrack: France

For some reason, they didn't announce the environment prize.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 02:20:10   Edited by: fredbastien

About the results, I have a mixed feeling. I'm very happy that Grupo Luso Pirotécnia won a prize (and not the bronze one, which would have been very disappointing), that is, the Silver Jupiter. I think Vaccalluzzo deserves the Bronze Jupiter, and it would have been a shock for many people to not see the Italian team on the podium. On the other side, while I expected to see Atlas Pyrovision on the podium for a Bronze or Silver Jupiter, I believe the Gold Jupiter is maybe a little too much. Given the comments posted in the forum, which seemed to show a broader range of opinions than in the past years, I hypothesize a non-consensual vote from the jury, so it might be easy for one company to reach the highest position with few points.

I would have liked to see Sugyp (my personel second choice) on the podium, but I did't really expect it, as the Swiss team was not among the top 3 of most people in this forum and other I discussed with.

Paul Csukassy did a great soundtrack for the Queen's show, and Panzera's display was better than last year. It is just unfortunate that many low-level effects didn't work. The performance was a bit devastating, as about 6-7 small fires occurred along the firing ramps, so it is not a surprise that some connections may have burned. I was just a bit disappointed to not see more nautical effects (only some nautical fountains).

Fred

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 02:27:34   Edited by: Smoke

Here's some footage that I'd like to share of the closing display (taken from Notre-Dame and de Lorimier).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xTFzbT7JA

You may ignore the first 50-51 seconds, if you wish to, as this simply shows people walking and gathering about 15 minutes prior to the display - I decided to include this for the heck of it, as it was the closing night! Quite the full house, indeed!

Hmm, I wonder who was awarded with the environment prize. I'm sure that it was Italy, but still.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 08:26:20

I'm glad that this year's competition ended with a favorable result! I think that Atlas deserves the gold jupiter just for the effort of setting up 7000+ cues alone! That's definitely not an easy task given the amount of time given to set up. Their music was definitely the most favorable out of the jupiter winners, I think that music choices played a big part at the end. Moreover I'm glad that the show with the most complex show technically and choreography and synchronization wise was given top marks. This probably disproves the past theory where in less is more when it comes to cue counts.

Vander

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 11:28:40   Edited by: Salutes lover

Que c'est merveilleux de pouvoir vivre cette compétition de feux d'artifice à Montréal, année après année! De voir autant de spectacles pyrotechniques fait sans doute monter la barre toujours plus haute pour les participants à cette compétition internationale.

Cette année a été très bonne du côté spectacle, autant de façon visuelle qu'auditive. Cependant, je dois être honnête et admettre que je suis largement resté sur mon appétit quant au volet "finale" en 2012. On nous a présenté quelques finales sans grande intensité et celles qui ont vraiment été intenses et puissantes ont malheureusement été de courte durée! Où est passé cette façon professionnelle de monter une finale sur une intensification graduelle, déroutante et étirée dans le temps, nous amenant lentement mais sûrement vers une vive émotion de joie et d'extase? Autrement dit, quand inviterons-nous les Benito Pagano et les Brad Dezotell de ce monde à participer à l'international des Feux de Montréal? Ils me manquent grandement!

Je brûle d'impatience de revoir des finales à la "IPON SRL" (1998 et 2004) et des finales à la "Fireworks Spectacular" (2010)

Je continue d'espérer leur retour prochain et j'en profite pour remercier ces deux génies de la pyrotechnie de m'avoir ému par leur savoir-faire. Ils ont tous deux marqué ma mémoire à jamais, de merveilleux souvenirs.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 12:51:28

Salutes lover's post:

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 13:28:26

Thank you Enkil

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 15:12:08

I also support Pierre's posting.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 4, 2012 15:46:18

Thank you Travis.....and I hope you enjoyed your Birthday!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 13:58:11

I just heard that the "Green Achievement Award" will be announced in the near future.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 11:41:02

Interesting as to why this information is being delayed for so long - it seems so unconventional. I suppose they have their reasons, though!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 11:43:38

I think they forgot to do it during the competition and are now doing it afterwards ... and they're all probably taking a well deserved break right now!

Paul

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 11:57:34

and they're all probably taking a well deserved break right now!

Good point!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019