Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2013 Display Reviews —› 2013 official results
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 3, 2013 19:01:14

Please post the official 2013 results here!

Cheers,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 3, 2013 23:52:14   Edited by: Duncan_S

Gold - Italy
Silver - Croatia
Bronze - Spain

As much as I wanted to see Canada take something, this is pretty much my (and, given the responses in the prediction thread, many of yours) ideal result. If Italy didn't take gold, I would have been more than a little heartbroken.

Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you to all the participants and organizers for putting on another year of shows.

Thanks as well to Paul and the rest of you on this site for the discussions throughout the year - I may not have been here anywhere near as long as many of you, but it's still a joy to share in your enthusiasm for and experience with our shared interest. Extra thanks go out to Trav for his consistently accurate and detailed forecasts. We can't control the weather during shows, but at least we have a pretty damn good idea of what it's going to be like before heading out.

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 00:30:07

I'm obviously very happy with the results since they're my exact 3 choices in perfect order! High five for most of us being very happy and accurate with the final results. The only sad part is that we have to wait a year for the competition to start again

But we do have one thing to look forward to next year ... 30th anniversary displays Now let the guessing game begin about which companies are coming next year lol

Dan

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 01:44:17

I would also like to express my congratulations to all of our winners of the 2013 competition! Like Dan and Duncan_S stated, I, too, am content with the results, though I am somewhat disappointed that Canada's "Four Seasons" did not receive an award! Nevertheless, it was obvious that the Canadian show was a very enjoyable one in many regards, so the team need not feel disappointed!

Duncan_S, you're very, very welcome! Although I was expecting precipitation/convection to "mostly" subside beyond the early-evening, continued instability promoted isolated convective activity until the very late evening (near midnight), resulting in sparse showers and, as most of us saw to the South and SW yesterday early-/mid-evening, a brief thunderstorm (which was centered over the West Island).

Again, congratulations to all of the winners of the 29th edition of Montreal fireworks!

Cheers,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 01:45:05

Best soundtrack: Italy
Public prize: Italy
Green Innovation Award: Panzera SAS

Paul.

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 01:58:37

That is the first all-European podium since 1997!

My congratulations to the Italian, Croatian and Spanish teams!

The official results perfectly fit with the collective choice of the participants to this forum. Considering the nine posters who expressed their choice (including Mylène), and giving 3, 2 or 1 point to each contestant who were ranked 1st, 2nd or 3rd, we get the following ranking:

Italia - 23 points
Croatia - 12 points
Spain - 11 points
Canada - 8 points

It is sad that people from Zaragozana and Mirnovek could not attend the Award Ceremony.

Fred

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 02:33:57

Fred, that's very interesting, and this does remind me of the results expressed on this forum in 2009, which also matched the official results that year!

Just out of curiosity, but does your point tabulation also include Enkil's choices? He posted his final ranking in the Italy review thread. Still, the inclusion of his preferences does not influence the end-result that you derived above.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 02:54:01

Trav, I missed Enkil ranking! With its addition, we get:

Italy - 26 points
Croatia - 14 points
Spain - 11 points
Canada - 9 points

Moreover, that was the first award ceremony under rain, and even lightnings, since a long time!

Fred

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 13:21:13   Edited by: Smoke

Thanks for that update, Fred! For the fun of it, if we include my parents' rankings:

Italy - 32 points
Croatia - 16 points
Spain - 12 points
Canada - 12 points

So, a tie between Spain and Canada!

Moreover, that was the first award ceremony under rain, and even lightnings, since a long time!

Yes, the last time I recall lightning coinciding with a closing show was in 2001, although conditions remained mostly dry at the time, since the thunderstorm traveled in a manner similar to the one witnessed last night. The lightning produced by the July 28th, 2001 thunderstorm, though, was even more spectacular!

Last night's (and the day's) convective rains were somewhat slow-moving because the upper-level winds were relatively weak. Thunderstorms, in particular, due to their large mass, move at about 75% of the average mid- to upper-level wind flow. As such, the slower those wind speeds, the slower thunderstorms travel, and the greater the risk for flash-flooding, especially if thunderstorms are multi-cellular (in clusters) in nature.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021