Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2015 Display Reviews —› 2015 Jupiter predictions
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 18:27:25

It is very well already time to make predictions.....again. Wow! As always, please post your personal choice and jury predictions as to who the winners might be. Some reasoning would be interesting to go along with your choices, but it is, of course, not mandatory!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 03:39:34   Edited by: fredbastien

The 31th edition of the Montreal International Fireworks Competition already comes to a close, as I reach the symbolic threshold of 20 years of uninterrupted attendance on site. I hope to be fortunate enough to continue this tradition for years to come!

Since a decade or so, I cross my fingers every year with hope that we will get one more edition to enjoy. Whereas corporate pressures from Six Flags headquarter seemed to threaten the event in the early 2000s, economic and political issues now jeopardize it: no new sponsor has made up for the withdraw of Telus in 2014, Loto-Québec has decided to spend less money in sponsorship (see this news story), the value of the Canadian dollar decrease, the schedule is tightly negotiated as public organizations which coordinate road construction activities in the area are concerned about street and bridge closures, and so on. In addition, the media coverage is nearly inexistant since a decade or so. And while La Ronde doesn’t release figures about the audience size, it is obvious to my eyes that it has continuously declined since the 1990s. Given the role played by the Montreal International Fireworks Competition and its impressive record, it would be time to feel some support from the fans and the international fireworks community, as well as decent news coverage from local and national media, which devote countless minutes and pages of stories to all major and not-so-major events in the Montreal area but the fireworks competition. Otherwise, I am afraid that it is just a question of time before the flame extinction.

So once again this year, all fireworks fans should tip their hats to the organizers of the competition, more specifically to Martyne Gagnon and Paul Csukassy, whose commitment should be acknowledged, somehow, one time or another. Moreover, I also know that many contestants read this forum and I want to acknowledge all of them for the countless hours spent to design and to setup these displays.

A long-term trend has continued this year, as the opening of the event has been pushed back to July 1st, the latest beginning in the competition history. As I already wrote in another thread, here, I believe it should be considered to reschedule the event, beginning in late July up to the Labor Day weekend. My rationale is that the “festival market” is less competitive in the second half of the summer, and early sunset would provide opportunity to schedule the fireworks at 9:30pm (or even 9:00pm), which may please to a larger audience.

As media coverage of this event is almost nonexistent, Internet-based sources are critical to be informed about what is coming up and about the features of each display. I want to acknowledge the work done by Paul Marriott and Mylène Salvas who have voluntarily devoted time to collect and to deliver relevant information for each display. Once again this year, it was a pleasure to share time, excitement and opinions with Paul, Mylène, and Simon, as well as Ryguy2008, a new participant to this forum in 2015.

Following a well-established tradition in this forum, it is time to summarize our viewpoints, to disclose our final ranking, and to make our predictions of the upcoming official results. It is my opinion that one outstanding (Hong Kong) and one excellent (England) displays shall be contenders for the podium this year, as well as two very good (Canada, USA) shows.

As I posted detailed comments on each display, I am not going to summarize them. So, my personal ranking is:

1. Vulcan (Hong Kong – China)
2. Jubilee Fireworks (England)
3. Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks (United States)
4. Archangel Fireworks (Canada)
5. A.P.E. Parente (Italy)
6. JCO (France)

Of course, Vulcan has experienced a major issue of smoke accumulation, which was due to the complete lack of wind. However, I believe that proportion of the show that we saw was long enough to assess it on all criteria. That show was, by far, the most creative and well-done this year. I don’t remember having seen as many original effects in a single display. I am confident that I would reach the same conclusion whether I could have a better view on the entire display. So I would celebrate judges’ decision if Vulcan wins the Gold Jupiter.

However, I understand that many people do not feel comfortable with a such assessment since they could not fully see the show. Consequently, I guess that members of the jury, who individually provide a mark to each contestant immediately after the display (there’s no deliberation), have different viewpoints on this issue and that lack of consensus may dramatically prevent Vulcan to reach the podium. My jury prediction is consequently different than my personal ranking.

Usually, an important predictor of the official results is the position of each contestant in the competition schedule. Being among the last contestants is strongly correlated with a place on the podium.

Since 1992, the Montreal International Fireworks Competition relies on a popular jury and presents about the same number of contestants, that is, between 7 and 9 (except in 2014 and 2015). A different sort of jury existed from 1985 to 1991 and the line-up was shorter. There were Bronze, Silver and Gold Jupiter awards each year (but in 2004 with the Platinum Jupiter, nonetheless three finalists were announced). The following statistics are about the three annual winners (or finalists) from 1992 to 2014:

- 1 of 23 first in-competition displays (4.3%) won a Jupiter.
- 11 of 69 first three contestants (15.9%) won a Jupiter (never more than one within a single year).
- 41 of 69 last three contestants (59.9%) won a Jupiter (we have never seen a podium without any contestant from the ultimate trio).
- 16 of 23 last in-competition displays (69.6%) won a Jupiter.

This year, the small number of displays and the short interval between the first and the last fireworks in competition slightly increase the probability that early entrants reach the podium. Furthermore, I feel that the Jubilee’s performance was strong enough to clearly take the lead, especially given Vulcan’s misfortune. So I predict that, for the first time in the Montreal competition history, the first entrant will win the Gold Jupiter. However, I guess that judges’ marks for the French “pyrohumorous show” were heterogeneous, so JCO will miss the podium.

My final prediction is:

1. Jubilee Fireworks (England)
2. Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks (United States)
3. Archangel Fireworks (Canada)

Fred

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 08:31:41   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

Here's my personal ranking:

1. Gold Jupiter - Jacques Couturier
2. Silver Jupiter - Vulcan Fireworks
3. Bronze Jupiter - Jubilee Fireworks

my jury predictions:

1. Gold Jupiter - Vulcan Fireworks
2. Silver Jupiter - Jubilee Fireworks
3. Bronze Jupiter - Jacques Couturier

Best Regards,
Vander

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 13:08:43

My personal ranking:
(excluding Italy, Canada, China)

1. France
2. England
3. USA

All three shows were excellent. I didn't see the other ones.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 13:37:26

Don't forget to include your best soundtrack preferences / predictions, too!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 15:32:58

Hi everyone,

Here's my rankings :

1 - Hong-Kong
2 - England
3 - France

My best soundtrack awards goes to France, since it clearly required a huge amount of work with all the narration and effects.

This was a very good season, which presented contestants of relatively similar talent unlike previous editions where I felt that the displays from newcomers were weaker and the last shows were designed to be well above the preceding ones in ambition and overall design.

Kudos to the new companies this year, since most displayed a very good to excellent use of the site and strong entries to the competition.

It was a pleasure meeting new pyro fans, like ryguy2008 and Carl Desjardins. It's nice to see that although there are budget cuts, the competition is still a reference and manages to attract people to come over and over during the season.

A very special thanks to Martyne Gagnon and Paul Csukassy, since my 2015 season would not have been the same at all if it was not for them. They also worked very hard to bring us one of the best seasons in the recent years, with extremely ambitious displays that required their crew to work their hardest to finish everything in time.

STL

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 21:51:51

It's hard to believe we've already basically reached the end of the season. It definitely passed by quickly.

After being in the jury last year, it was nice to meet and get to know a different group of true "competition fans" who post on this forum. This includes STL, Fred and Paul. Everyone adds unique insight about each show and it makes the summer more interesting.

As STL said, I also give credit to the competition organizers for another great season.

I missed England this year which is the first show I've missed in a few years. Although I will eventually watch the video, I don't think it's a valid comparison to rank the video of this show and the live show of the others.

Therefore, my rankings:
1) Hong Kong, China
2) USA
3) Canada
4) Italy
5) France

Jury predictions:
1) USA
2) France
3) Hong Kong or England

I also think France will win the best soundtrack award. It's impossible to speculate on the green award winner.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again next summer!

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 17:35:24   Edited by: fireworksforum

This was a very good season, especially considering the number of new recruits.

My personal favourites were

1) Vulcan
2) Jubilee
3) to my surprise, JCO

I really liked both the Rozzi and Archangel shows too, in different ways.

For soundtrack, I'm torn between Jubilee and Vulcan - both were good. Parente's was good, but was let down by less than stellar fireworks, making the soundtrack appear duller than it really was. Archangel was good, but a bit dark for my tastes, but I did enjoy it a lot. Rozzi was a nice mix of classical and modern, but some of the transitions were not to my personal taste. I enjoyed JCO and it was by far the most technically interesting soundtrack this year, though it was enjoyed in a different way than the others.

For my predictions, it's really hard to tell how the jury will view Vulcan and what, if any, special consideration was made. If consideration was made, then I think the results will be:

Gold: Vulcan
Silver: JCO
Bronze: Jubilee

if no consideration was made, then I think there's a good chance Vulcan won't be on the podium and we will have

Gold: JCO
Silver: Jubilee
Bronze: Rozzi

For soundtrack, I'm certain it will be JCO. As for green award, not Vulcan (too much smoke). It's hard to know what green efforts are made behind the scenes as there were only two manufactures. If Souza were in competition, I'd say it would be them as they are showcasing a line of perchlorate-free products - so maybe they will get this prize anyway. It's a tough nut to crack and it will be interesting to see the results of that tomorrow.

My deepest gratitude to Martyne Gagnon and Paul Csukassy, and all the crew at La Ronde for their constant support and hospitality. Same for all the other maniacs there on site: Mylene (my interview partner and fantastic photographer in her own right), Bob Burch (photographer extraordinare), Simon Turcotte Langevin (another awesome photographer), Carl Desjardins (yet another photographic genius) and a special shout out to Alex Despatis - the most regular attendant of the competition (seeing every show bar one since 1985). Thanks also to Rachel Bilodeau for her brilliant off-site photos.

I'm looking forward to the closing show, of course, but it brings a deep sadness as well.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 21:09:25   Edited by: ryguy2008

I would just add that in 2013, Panzera SAS won the Green award and they had the closing show. Based on what you'e saying, Souza has a very good chance of winning it tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 06:41:13   Edited by: Lars

First of all I wish to thank everyone on this forum contributing this unique competition. Unfortunately I have also only been able to see the videos and therefore I am not really qualified to provide a fair prediction, since this requires attendance at La Ronde.

Nonetheless I would predict the following for the podium tonight:
1: Vulcan
2: Jubilee
3: Rozzi

My personal taste however is:
1: Rozzi (since I really liked the concept and choice of music)
2: Vulcan (simply just impressive, but the music was not really to my taste. I'm a big fan of classical music so that's just me not being a fan of rock music. But I am sure the broad public was fond of the music chosen by the team
3: Jubilee (very impressive debut performance with a complex design, but I preferred the soundtrack in the Rozzi show)

Archangen and Parente did not really catch me in the same way and my french skills are not really good enough for me to appreciate JCO's display. But I'm very impressed about the complexity of the JCO soundtrack and greatly support new strong concepts as that show obviously provided.

Finally a great thanks to all the teams for their efforts as well as the organizers. I hope there will continue to be strong support for this unique competition. And for me I am deeply grateful to the work of Paul, Bob and Mylene for running this forum and uploading videos. Otherwise it would not be possible for me to enjoy it from this distance.

Kind regards,
Lars

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 15:17:30   Edited by: Smoke

How quickly this fireworks season came to an end, but I believe it felt even faster this year due to the latest start in the competition’s history (July 1st/Canada Day) while the end date still held constant as in recent years, so the duration of the 2015 edition was exactly one month. Nevertheless, this was a very, very enjoyable year, however short it was, and it was a real thrill for me (and many others, I am sure) that we had a restoration of 90s-style spectacular-finale frequency! Also, considering the number of new entrants this year, this turned out to be a very interesting season. One notable aspect of this year, too, was the delayed starts of the vast majority of the displays, many of which left very anti-climactic impressions. The opening display, too, was somewhat less enjoyable due to the damp, cool and windy conditions present at the time. England had the most dramatic opening.

Weather conditions were mixed this year. The opening show had uncomfortably cool conditions, with damp weather previously. We have seen the extremities with wind, with the strongest winds present on the opening night, and during Italy’s display. By contrast, the weakest wind speeds evidently occurred during the highly anticipated Chinese display by Vulcan, where a massive wall of smoke eventually took form, especially relative to those viewing from Notre-Dame. One fairly common attribute this year was the high humidity on several fireworks night, but the Chinese and French displays featured the absolute highest humidity levels. As far as temperatures were concerned, The French display had the warmest night (one of the warmest in recent years), with a temperature of 29 C during the and just prior to the display, and 30 C through most of the evening. The opening night had the coolest conditions, and Canada had the second coolest, but the least humid conditions were present for the Canadian show and was the only one where smoke was moving towards the bridge. No display experienced severe weather near and during the displays (although severe thunderstorms occurred on surrounding days – July 19th, July 21st, and July 27th), though some light rain showers took place for the American display.

A special thanks to the organizers for making this competition possible again for yet another year. Of course, I also thank Paul for keeping the forum alive and active, and for kindly and diligently providing us with inside information concerning each display! I similarly thank Mylene for all of her work in conducting interviews and bringing us additional information! I also would like to thank Bob Burch for kindly supplying video footage of the entire displays on-site for a sixth year in a row! Many thanks to all of our photographers (Bob, Rachel, and Steve) for continuously sharing their spectacular photos! Finally, I extend my thanks to all forum members for their continued participation on the forum and continuing to share all of their thoughts and insightful commentaries of each display (and in other discussions)! It was also a great pleasure to see new forum members (particularly ryguy2008) engage in the various discussions, as well!

Below are my summaries of each display, highlighting what I assessed as strong and weak aspects of the shows. Following this, you will find my personal predictions for the jury's decision, as well as my personal choices for the winners. Afterwards, for the fun of it, I have added subsequent sections for various criteria (such as best choice of music, best finales, best sequencing, etc.) and place those participants best suited for each, in accordance with my personal tastes. I used the grading system that Fred kindly shared previously. Note that I have not graded Hong Kong/China since a fair portion of the show was much too obscured by smoke to really give a realistic evaluation.
------------------------------------------------------------
Participating country: England
Company: Jubilee Fireworks
Date of presentation: July 4th, 2015

As compared to the opening display, weather conditions properly greeted the competition proper with warm evening temperatures of 22-23 C, light SSW winds, and borderline moderate-high humidity.

The British debutantes truly delivered a fantastic and successful display. The colors were extremely vibrant and rich, perhaps the richest selection of all competitors this year. Synchronization was excellent, and good use was made of the firing site, extensively employing various firing angles and maintaining symmetry. The finale was also fantastic and was the second best of this year, in my mind. The dichotomous nature of the theme, “Vive la Difference”, was also a very interesting approach, as we have seen in the past, but I am not sure it was always clear beyond the fourth segment, which is a small criticism for me. The red stars that formed a heart shape were particularly memorable. Some soundtrack editing would have also benefitted. Overall, a strong contender for a Jupiter and, in my mind, first place.

Quality of pyrotechnical pieces = 14/15
Pyromusical design = 25/30
Technical design = 27/30
Soundtrack = 11/15
Synchronization = 9/10

Total: 89/100

Participating country: Italy
Company: A.P.E. Parente S.A.
Date of presentation: July 11th, 2015

The second warmest temperatures of the season made an appearance for the debutante Italian team, with temperatures of 25 C and high humidity. SSW/SW winds, however, were dangerously gusty (gusts near 40 km/h), similar to the opening night/Canada Day. Fortunately, speeds were still marginally sufficient to fire the display safely.

This was another enjoyable display, and it featured a very nice selection of musical tracks, probably my favorite selection of the season. A good variety of products were used, and the theme (Pyro Rock n’ Roll) was tightly represented. The display, however, was very simplistic in design, and though synchronization was excellent, it lacked creativity, and the choice of effects for representation seemed rather limited. By sharp contrast to England, however, many of the songs were overly short and rushed from one song to another, restricting more distinct transitions while making it difficult to enjoy and get into many of the songs, unfortunately. Still some memorable sequences in the display, but not enough to make the performance really stand out. The finale was also on the short side and needed more intensity.

Quality of pyrotechnical pieces = 11/15
Pyromusical design = 24/30
Technical design = 21/30
Soundtrack = 12/15
Synchronization = 8/10

Total: 76/100

Participating country: Canada
Company: Archangel Fireworks
Date of presentation: July 15th, 2015

The second coolest evening (though still pleasant) settled in for the Canadian entrant, with light NNW winds, along with the least humid conditions of the season. This was the only display where smoke was heading towards adjacent sections of the bridge.

This was a very good and interesting attempt by the Canadian debutante team. The display featured some beautiful sequences and memorable products, particularly the enormous nautical shells (especially in the finale). I enjoyed the fabulous arrangements of color at low-levels of the show, and the products were of high quality. Synchronization was fabulous and was sometimes quite creative. The theme, “Armageddon”, was also tightly adhered to and yielded a good pyromusical design. My criticisms are few, but as much as I enjoyed the display, I found it difficult to move one step ahead to really immerse myself into it due to the overall selection of music, which, although appropriate, did not come across to me as being fireworks-friendly, a similar feeling I acquired after seeing Canada 2012’s display. Also, I found some firing patterns to be somewhat redundant, and the show needed to place more emphasis on higher levels of the show, at times. Awesome finale, and the descriptions of the nautical shells that introduced it were quite memorable. Some music editing would have also helped a little. Overall, a good attempt by the Canadian team, who certainly has a chance of being awarded with a Jupiter, though perhaps the Bronze. This will also likely depend on the musical preference, as well.

Quality of pyrotechnical pieces = 13.5/15
Pyromusical design = 26/30
Technical design = 25/30
Soundtrack = 11/15
Synchronization = 9/10

Total: 84.5/100

Participating country: Hong Kong/China
Company: Vulcan
Date of presentation: July 18th, 2015

Warm (23-24 C) and the second most humid conditions of the season set the stage for what was the most anticipated display of the season. However, winds were tranquil, and due to the very high humidity, vast amounts of smoke accumulations occurred and remained virtually stationary, but later gently moving towards the La Ronde audience directly. Unfortunately, enormous smoke accumulations became prominent during the second half of the show. The view from Notre-Dame street, however, offered a somewhat better view of the high-level shells.

It is difficult to really write in great detail about the characteristics featured since much of the show was enveloped in thick smoke. From what we could see, however, beautiful demonstrations of rich colors and sequences were very evident, and synchronization was flawlessly executed, and very creative. Several segments were very well illustrated through the pyrotechnics. Many effects were also thoroughly enjoyed, particularly the farfalles, multi-breaks, Saturn shells, shells with central hearts embedded within them, and especially the mines of screaming serpents that made an appearance towards the end of the display. The low-level sequences were almost literally dancing, at times, and sometimes spontaneously produced overwhelming splashes of color (mostly with respect to those Z-firing patterns). The finale was good, with very echoing barrages of salutes and strong supporting intensity with the shells of silver comets directly above. The last seven minutes of the display were actually very exciting and consisted of several faux finales. The actual finale, as intense as it was, though, was on the short side. The soundtrack was very nicely edited, and the display probably produced the most emotional feel this year. One notable criticism that I have is that there had been some repetition with high-level firing, with sets of three shells often making an appearance. Also, the theme, “On The Road Again”, was not always clear throughout the show. Overall, it is difficult to say what the fate of this display will be, and given that much of the display was obscured by smoke, it is honestly difficult to rank the display in its entirety. Certainly a possibility to appear on the podium, however!

Participating country: United States
Company: Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks
Date of presentation: July 25th, 2015

Warm weather conditions (22-23 C) were present for the American team, with, again, very high humidity and light SSW winds. Some light showers also made an appearance during the evening, including during the display.

This was a very good display with a somewhat complex thematic approach (“Seasons of Life”). The layout of the theme was particularly interesting with the transitions in the elements from one season to another. Even though not awarded with a Jupiter in 2013, the Canadian display, to me, really did a fantastic job portraying each season. The Americans, too, did outstanding work to really create this seasonal (and sometimes emotional) feel, but what was particularly daring was the use of a more contemporary musical selection to produce a similar effect. The products used were fantastic, and there were many that were employed effectively to represent most soundtracks, which were mostly relevant. Like Hong Kong/China, there sometimes was a rush of fans of color at low-level that really captured the audience! While the theme was effective, however, it did not seem as clear as what had been done with previous displays with a similar theme, such as Canada 2013. This was perhaps more evident with some of the songs used. Also, the pyromusical design felt sometimes more restricted due to some repetition with drooping effects, which created some unfavorable similarities from one segment to another. I would have preferred to see a more diversified approach to really explore and represent some of the elements that constituted the theme. The finale was excellent, though it probably would have been better to combine the penultimate piece with the actual finale (each was about 30 seconds in duration). Still, a very energetic finale and ranks third for me this year. Overall, a great display, but I feel that a somewhat less complex design will prevent first or perhaps second place.

Quality of pyrotechnical pieces = 12.5/15
Pyromusical design = 27/30
Technical design = 26/30
Soundtrack = 12/15
Synchronization = 9.5/10

Total: 87/100

Participating country: France
Company: JCO
Date of presentation: July 29th, 2015

The warmest and most humid temperatures of the season graced the French team, with late-evening temperatures of 29 C (30 C just before the display began). Light SSW winds were also ideally present to push the smoke adequately.

This was certainly a very different, but enjoyable and mysterious display! It featured the most tenacious theme (“Dynamite Circus”) of the season and truly, truly produced a circus-oriented feeling – it honestly did feel like we were in a circus. In several ways, this display did remind me a little of the French display in 2011 (which I had viewed from La Ronde). This was also most definitely a very original concept. The show featured some very enticing sequences and comical moments that really amplified the overall atmosphere that engendered this display. Some elements were appropriately used to represent characteristics of the theme, notably the simulation of a hoop that appeared atop ramp 5, as well as that curtain effect. Colors were vibrant, and low-level firing angles were often interesting and made good use of the firing site’s left-right extent. The show, however, sometimes felt a little awkward with the laughing moments early on, and I thought the narration was a little too enduring for my tastes and somewhat disrupted the fluidity of the display. Still, some of the narration made me let out a chuckle or two, especially before the finale when we could hear people shouting for reimbursements! The display also sometimes felt disproportionate due to the lack of more high-level activity. The finale was absolutely awesome – it was so colorful, introduced well, and it had the correct crescendo and longevity (and maybe magnified by that feeling of disappointment during the previous “faux” finale), though just perhaps the very last bit of intensity could have gone on for another 10-15 seconds! Nevertheless, this was a stunning and exciting finale and will make my list of top finales! Really the top finale this year, and one of the most active displays (many faux finales!). Quite possibly a contender for a Jupiter, and I believe will be the winner for the soundtrack award with the very original and extremely well edited and compiled soundtrack.

Quality of pyrotechnical pieces = 12/15
Pyromusical design = 27/30
Technical design = 26/30
Soundtrack = 14/15
Synchronization = 8.5/10

Total: 87.5/100

All in all, a very exciting season this year, and, again, quite surprisingly so with many new recruits occupying the schedule! In my mind, I believe that there are five displays that really deserve a Jupiter award: England, China, Canada, United States, and France. In spite of fewer competitors this year, it’s ironically one of the harder years to predict the actual winners, especially given the circumstances tied with Hong Kong/China’s display. All of this year’s displays really excited me in different ways, but I felt that the music was what really helped me to take one step forward to really go into some of the displays. England’s performance had a very good theme to work with, and it equally had one of the more complex designs, even though the theme itself fell flat, for me, beyond segment four. The show also suffered little from technical problems/misfires. Canada’s display also had a very tenacious theme and a creative design, but I had a difficult time “really” enjoying the display because of the overall nature of the music (as appropriate as the selection was). China’s display, from what we could see, had a very complex design and very impressive low-level sequences and intriguing colors/firing patterns to go along with the music. However, it was sometimes a little redundant with firing patterns at high-level, and the theme was not always as clear. Unfortunately, most of the latter half of the display was obscured by smoke, and, as such, it is difficult to really rank it, and it’s more difficult to say what is racing through the minds of the judges concerning it. As much as I loved the Chinese display (again, from what I saw), the judges can only evaluate based on what they can actually see, not what could have been. The American display featured my favorite thematic framework, and it was one of the most creative displays, and the song selection was very interesting. The French display was the most original, had the best represented and integrative/interactive theme, and it featured a very unique song selection, along with many exciting sequences, although I am not sure how the extended periods of narration will affect the display. As such, my personal choices and predictions look like this:

Trav’s jury prediction:

1st: England
2nd: United States
3rd: France

Green Achievement Award: This is really hard to say.

Trav’s personal choice:

1st: England
2nd: Hong Kong/China
3rd: France

Best choice of music:

1. France
2. Italy
3. China
4. United States

Most intriguing effects:

1. Hong Kong/China
2. France
3. England
4. Canada (especially the nautical shells!)
4. United States

Best quality products:

1. Hong Kong/China
2. England
3. France

Highest color richness:

1. England
2. France
3. Hong Kong/China
4. United States

Best devised and represented theme:

1. France
2. Canada
3. United States

Best sequences:

1. Hong Kong/China
2. United States
3. Canada
4. France

Most powerful/energetic displays:

1. France
2. England
3. Hong Kong/China

Most dramatic opening:

1. England

Top conclusions:

1. France
2. England
3. Canada
4. United States

And so ends 26 years of attendance for me! And by the end of the closing show this evening, the number of years hosting the competition in the 2000s will have exceeded those in the 1900s (1985-1999).

Enjoy the closing display this evening.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 17:55:18

Unfortunately it's already the end of the competition but in my mind it is one of the toughest one to judge. Especially when Mother Nature comes in to complicate things

My ranking:
1) China (was able to see enough to give it top marks)
2) England (good music, synchro, and decent theme)
3) USA (overall very enjoyable show, less dark than Canada's)
4) Canada (music choice too dark, tough for firework's "happy" atmosphere)
5) Italy (good music but show too simple and repeatitive)
6) France (not a fan of music, very simple shows, material just ok. Only theme was a standout)

Jury prediction:
1) China (half of the show was visible, quality and synchro were top notch)
2) France (not a fan of music but creativity for sure present and very related to theme)
3) England (good choice of music and materials)

Page loading time (sec.): 0.013