Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› Pyromusical Design —› Songs That Would Make a Great Finale?
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 12, 2004 15:08:34   Edited by: Smoke

Greetings,

Since it has been quiet around here again, I propose an idea that may be interesting. It's about music and how well it goes with a segment of a typical fireworks display in the Mondial SAQ. Well, in this case, a good finale. I thought of it while I was talking to Pierre the other day, so I thought it would generate some posts.

The topic is what it says. So, does anyone have any ideas on what music or theme songs would make a great and outsanding finale?

I'll post mine later on.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 13, 2004 11:51:14   Edited by: fireworksforum

Thanks for starting this thread. I think one of the hardest things about choosing music for a display (or a finale) is finding something which isn't cliched. Everyone has heard the 1812 Overture used a bazillion times and it is, in my opinion, very difficult to do something original with this particular piece. There are quite a few others that spring to mind as well. Really, part of the skill of a sucessful pyromusical is to take the audience on an emotional journey. Sometimes the element of surprise can be very effectively used. On the other hand, a familiar piece of music certainly can help create a feeling of anticipation, which can also help prepare the audience for the climax of the display.

I'll post some more musical thoughts soon.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 13, 2004 18:31:27

No problem, Paul!

As I've said before, it came to my mind when I was talking to Pierre.

I've had a lot of work to do, so I didn't have time to think about it yet, although I can come up with plenty of themes! I think that this is a great topic! A little authentic.

More details soon!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 14, 2004 05:50:10

Well,

I feel somewhat compelled to comment on this topic.

Paul, I think you'll know what answer I'm going to give.

I think one of the best songs for a finale is:

ACDC - For Those About to Rock

Starts off slow, then its pure mayhem at the end.

Trying to synchronize shells to certain cues during the last 30 or seconds in a finale is kinda useless in any song. Just throw as much stuff in the air as possible, but have some sort of dominant colour or theme.

So, any rock song gets my nod for a great finale song.

I've heard too many soundtrack and classical songs beaten to death.

Sean

Posted: Oct 14, 2004 18:32:08   Edited by: Smoke

Firemaster,

I like your choice of music for a finale. Rock would definitely do!

I was thinking anything at fast. As Pierre mentioned in his earlier post, Laura Branigan songs would make a great finale. It's a shame that she passed away recently. It's really sad. I loved her music. One of my favorite artists of the 80's.

Anyways, a song that I would love for the finale form her would be "In the Night" (I'm not sure if that's the name).

Another preference, assuming the theme was about warriors or fighting movies, I would definitely propose Mortal Kombat! Have you guys ever seen the movie or heard the soundtrack?

That would make a great finale. An intense show overall should have theme songs from action movies!

As for synchronizing cues in the last 30 seconds of a finale IS useless, since everyone is so into it! In fact, I don't think anyone could even hear the music at that time, depending on the intensity of the finale. The best way to synchronize a finale with the speed and music is to fire everyting like crazy with colorful and bright shells with hundreds upon hundreds of salutes!

Anybody have more suggestions?

Trav.

Posted: Oct 15, 2004 08:12:11   Edited by: Lars

Trav,

Actually i like a more well-timed finale instead of the empty-the-stock-approach often used (though with nice quality, still). For instance the 150 meter waterfall was a part of Wecos finale this year and there were "only" 3 barrages of salutes (1 from ramp 3 and 2 consisting of salutes-multibreaks from IPON). This was a different way of doing it and that had an effect in itself on me. Since the salutes were concentrated in 3 large portions, it made a larger "shaken AND stirred"-effect on me than Lacroix-Ruggieri's Panzera-style, where you fire coloured cylindershells with reports for 30 seconds and then conclude in one large barrage.

Or let me put it to you this way: Dont tell me you didn't like Caballer's final sequence of single-shots from the mirage
That's more exciting that a constant level of shells, that are almost the same, eventhough they are still nice

Lars

Posted: Oct 15, 2004 09:22:32

Lars,

I sure as hell remember Caballer! I wasn't really paying much attention to the music because I was so into the intensity of what looked like the "forever finale." I don't think anybody, where I was, could hear the music at some parts of the segment, because some of those salutes and shells were deafening! IPON was the same thing, too!

As for a well synchronized finale, I really don't mind it at all, as long as the song will make the fireworks go crazy!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 15, 2004 16:51:05

Caballers final, the song Back in Town by R. Williams

that wasnt a real "final song", they used that song becuz they had enough material for a song like that, u knew from the song that it wouldnt stop

i found it funny thro

Posted: Oct 15, 2004 17:26:46

Enkil,

Yeah, now I remember. The song that was used in the end didn't seem fit for a finale, but it was one HELL OF A FINALE none the less! I remember when the song was going and the finale was intensifying, I couldn't even hear the soundtrack anymore.

I wonder what ever happened to the leftovers.....Weren't they used somewhere?

Trav.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 05:26:47   Edited by: Lars

Trav,

Another example would be Royal's finale last year. The last minute had some sudden, unexpected changes from for instant large crosette shells to nautic shells and then back again. Then there could be a change in intensity or the instruments used in the song and so on... That's a more artistic approach to it i believe, because they give you what you don't expect, which is a major part of the total-impression for me

Another example: JNS also had a relatively short barrage of gold and silver for the finale, but had a pre-finale of effect-shells after the narration from Terminator... that was pretty well done I think.

Another view. I actually remember Atlas' show from last year being as large as Caballers... and the finale-music (Darude, Sandstorm with narration) was more thrilling
...not to forget the BOH!-barrage of salutes

Lars

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 07:24:41   Edited by: Smoke

Hello Lars,

Jeeze, I've really got to get the fireworks names and terminology right before next year! I really want to know them badly because if I do, it would be fun to identify them when watching a fireworks display! I hope to know plenty of them by next year's competition!

Anyways, yes, I do remember Royal's finale last year. That was a nice one! I think the soundtrack went excellent with it, too. It was another intense finale!

JNS had a nice variety of soundtrack, too! I remember many people saying that it was an excellent choice, especially the song that was used to integrate with the two towers. Perfect synchro! And yes, I remember the Terminator soundtrack. That was a personal favorite! I enjoyed JNS quite a bit, not just with the music, but the overall art of the show, especially those authentic massive pounding white shells.

As for Atlas' show last year, yeah, that was another big one, but I'm not too certain if it was as big as Caballer's but it was definitely large and complex, and I really have to agree about the soundtrack comparissons. Darude, Sandstorm made a more better theme to the finale than the one Caballer used. I found Caballer's was a bit too classical and slow, but the finale did not show that at all! The good thing about the song, however, is that it was lengthy! Remember those dramatic color changes the U.S used in their finale last year? That was amazing! I also particulalry liked the segemnt where they used the soundtrack "Greased Lightning." That was most entertaining when those bright lightning-like flashes in the bottom were going off! Very nicely done. They really did something original last year. I look foward to them next year.

Thank you for your insights, Lars.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 16, 2004 19:22:35

Hey Trav

I am with you a hundred percent about synchronized finales in the sense that I don't mind if the finale is in synch with the music or not.....as long as the choice of music is set to make the sky explode with billion of salutes.....teehee

Now, there is a song (or should I say an instrumental) that I would love to hear during a firework display. It is a piece of music that was written by a musical genius from Québec....his name is André Mathieu. This instrumental was used at the Montreal Summer Olympics in 1976 during the Opening Ceremony......it is called "Marche des Athlètes # 1". It's very beautiful music with kind of a military flavor to it. It would not fit for a finale, but it would fit perfectly at the very start of the display. There is that one segment of music which is quite loud and "full of pride" (I don't know how to describe it in other terms) about 3 minutes into the song, where salutes would blend in so well with the music....woof. Anybody ever heard that chef-d'oeuvre?

It's nice to be back after a short absence and see you guys still exchanging thoughts.....

Pierre

Posted: Oct 17, 2004 08:45:35

Trav,

It still looks like we agree on most of the things, like what worked well in the shows etc...

My point was just, that the jury are "used to" (if you ever get that) a large finale, and therefore it's a great thing if you can do it in a different way. Like Iguals famed faux-finales

Another thought is to "just" use the fireworks as a tool to impress people in the way you desire. The most important thing in the montreal displays are in my oppinion the stories, they tell...

I have previously mentioned that i have seen 2 great examples of shows provoking specific feelings (in my oppinion!):
Romeo & Juliet (Explosive Entertainment 2003) = Fear / gooseboms
The sky cannot wait (Royal 2003) = Happinss / smiles

If we assume that the feelings Fear and Happiness are the starting point for the show and the fireworks "just are a tool" to tell the story (don't get me wrong here ) i think the designer is more focused on the total-expirience and whole-impression. I don't think it's vital if you have yellow or violet falling leaves to tell a certain piece of the story - you probably still make the impression you want to

That said, i love high-quality products - just to errase any doubt. But Romeo & Juliet won the silver last year on China-material while Atlas with an extremely high product quality didn't get a jupiter at all. Explosive Entertainment just provoked the feelings better that Atlas, who didn't have a theme (but still was beautifully designed - no doubt about that).

And getting back to the original question: If people don't know the music for the finale you can surprise them and make a greater impact that if they know when the song's going to peak. And if you are not a manufacturer and can't afford to fire massive barrages for minutes you probably can use other methods of impressing. Like concentrating the volleys of salutes, make dramatic color changes and so on...

Bottom line - People expect large finales in montreal. And to win in the comming years you have to do something new to distinguish yourself.

...in my oppinion

Lars

Posted: Oct 17, 2004 09:59:54   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre,

Good to hear from you again.

I'm not too familiar with André Mathieu, but the name does ring a bell. I'm sure the music you described from him would make some excellent segments! Sometimes slow music can make very dramatic segments according to the actual strength and feeling of the music, and of course, a beautiful typical finishing climax to the segment with glittering fireworks trailing to the lake. Very dramatic in our competition.

As I was telling Paul and Enkil before, you and I were thinking about Laura Branigan and how some of her music would make an excellent finales! Most of her songs are pretty good, while having some slower pars to it along with a very rapid start. Particularly one of her biggest hits: "Self Control." You know this one, right? I think this is fit for an outstanding finale! One of my personal favorites.

Sorry to say, but I'm not sure that I know "chef d'oeuvre."

BTW, no big thunderstorms lately. I guess we can't expect much at this time of the year. I miss those hot summer days that cook those storms up, not to mention waiting for our great fireworks competition to satrt again! All in all, though, an EXCELLENT October, weather wise.

Anyways, once again, good to hear from you again, Pierre.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 17, 2004 10:36:23   Edited by: Smoke

Lars,

You really can't go wrong there! I've pretty much agreed with all your points and facts.

I particularly agree on the finale perspective. Although it does not play a major role in the entire crafted display, it is a major part of influence. I'm not saying that is important or should be compared in order to distinguish a winner, but rather, it is important to the general audience in terms of entertainment and appreciation. I'm more than certain that the vast majority of people look foward to that part the most, this is from years of experience and it's psychological. Many people expect and want to be excited and screaming for it to go on.

In essence, a finale is also a big piece of work which gives everyone that OVERALL impression of the entire display. A finale leaves people with that feeling of excitement and enthusiasm. It also makes you feel as if you can't wait to look foward to the next show and tell even more people about it. Basically, a good fianle is something that you want to remember and refer to. And with the capacity of our competition, that is what, in my own interpretation, Montrealers expect in it. Don't get me wrong, many people may enjoy the show and couldn't even care less to see a finale, which is what badnitrus had said a few months ago. This statement is true because of the fact that many appreciate how the show was done in terms of many concepts i.e music, quality, etc. In fact, choice of music can affect one's perception or enjoyment of an actual show, even an intense finale, although this is not always the actual situation. In any case, a finale is definitely important, but once again, I want to emphasize the point of not in terms of who the winner should be, but rather, the overall impression that people would get and that "feeling it should leave you with." This is what is looked for. Also, you'll notice the response the audience would give depending on a bad/good performance.

As impressive as a lot of them that I've seen since 1990, I've enjoyed finales a lot more when the music is good and suits well to the segment, not to mention my personal preferences. In any case, sometimes, I don't even mind for the music as long as it's intense, but don't get me wrong, the music is what makes the finale and any segment alive, hence the term "pyromusical." In essence, music is very important to when it comes to an intense finale, so I think I'll get back on topic. Just to conclude the point of this matter, it's like reading a book. As you're reading and following along with the protagonist and other main characters and major parts and pivital scenes within the story, you read and combine the whole story and psychologically, you feel the anticipation of the climax and see how the story ends. You hope for a good ending, sort of like a happily ever after scenario. Same thing here. The finale is the CLIMAX of the display and similarly, people want to see how the finisher will turn out.

I also want to emphasize one of your points, which is high quality in products. Of course, this is important and I also look for quality in a display. I also want to add in originality. This is also important because it keeps regular viewers, like all of us on this forum, from getting bored with the same thing over and over again. A great example would be many from this particular year, like Weco, JNS, Lacroix and even the U.S of last year, with that dramatic change of colors. As an experienced audience, variety and originality, as well as quality is important. Being creative is also important, especially when synchronizing with the music.

Anyways, I'm glad that we see things similarly, Lars. It's could to hear your thoughts again. Your opinion is just as good as mine.

Do you have any personal preferences on what song would make a good finale?

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 17, 2004 13:39:01   Edited by: Lars

Trav,

Great thoughts... Really... You put a lot of time into this forum - that's great i think

Regarding my preference for finale-songs it's also dependant of the theme used - but i don't suppose that's the answer you're loking for

Here are a few songs i would use (and have used) for pyromusial finales:
-Moulin Rouge: Tango de Roxanne, Elephant love song medley among others
-Requiem for a dream (A bit like romeo & juliet)
-Armageddon theme
-Ode to joy (Mozart)
-Equador (Sash, german musician)
-There you'll be (Faith Hill)
-Lord of the dance: Worrior, theme, riverdance with tabs etc.

...among others. There's really lot of opportunities but it all depends of which event you're doing the show to

Like Paul mentioned it's also important not to use a song that has been used a thousand times... Personally want to do something that is different from others. That's a way to distinguish a show. So just by principle "Conquest of paradise" and "O Fortuna" will probably never be included in any of my pyromusicals, eventhough they are moving pieces of music
(Unless it fits the theme by 110%)

Regards,
Lars

Posted: Oct 18, 2004 11:09:43   Edited by: Smoke

Lars,

Thank you. It hasn't come to my attention to the amount of time that I've actually spent on this forum until I've checked my individual statistics. It's a little surprising to me! On the other hand, it's like a habit of mine to check with the forum daily, so in this context, it's not that surprising. Plus, I enjoy being here and sharing my thoughts and opinions with fellow enthusiasts!

Anyways, in case you're wondering, yes, that's the answer I'm looking for. You seem to know what song would make a good finale.

I strongly agree with you on your last statement. It's good to differenciate soundtrack, rather than a familiar one over and over again. As much as I also like Conquest of Paradise, for example, it has been quite common during the history of the competition.

But of course, the songs must fit in with the theme of the performance and must reflect on the concept of the art of the show, making it more creative and moving.

I'll have my thoughts posted later on, despite how many times I've said that!

Bye, Lars.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 18, 2004 18:35:42

Hi Trav

I am not surprised that you've heard of André Mathieu before. He was born in Montreal in 1929, died at the age of 39 in 1968. He started composing music at the age of 4, gave his first recital in Montreal at the age of 5, won first prize at the New York Philharmonic Orchestra at 12.....and was called the "French-Canadian Mozart" by many critics. All of this, just to let you know that I would love to hear his instrumental called "Marche des athlètes #1" during a segment of a firework display. Quality music goes so well with exploding rockets! It's a winning combination

By the way, "chef-d'oeuvre" (the "f" is silent) means "masterpiece".

About Laura Branigan, you are right on Trav

...in the sense that "Self control" would be perfect during fireworks, specially when she goes: "Wo-ho-ho (bang), Wo-ho-ho (bang)". Yep, I can see the huge weeping willows exploding in the sky and falling slowly into the lake.......

And what about playing "Shattered glass", again by Laura Branigan, for a real fast start?

I love this subject of mixing music with fireworks.....great idea Trav

Talk to you later

Pierre

Posted: Oct 19, 2004 20:19:25

Pierre,

You seem to know a lot André Mathieu. Like I said, I barely heard of him before, but I have learned a lot from you about him! Thx.

In the context of Laura Branigan, yes, "Self-Control" would definitely make a great finale, especially, as you say, when you hear :"wo-ho-ho!" That's the part that would be great, especially when the song is coming to a climax. Along with the weeping willow that you've suggested, I also want huge salutes and shells evertime you hear "bang" in that song, and of course with lots and lots of color and brightness.

Shattered glass is another good song that you've proposed. It does start fast, so it would be good to get the finale on a fast start! Really, she has great music! It's a shame that she passed away recently. Definitley one of my favorite artists, as I'm sure that she was to you!

As for this topic, I really didn't expect this many posts would actually generate. I fine it an interesting topic, though! I should be thanking you. You're the one who mentioned music to me at one time not too long ago. That's when I came up with the idea of this topic. Thank you, Pierre.

Like you said before, great pyro minds think alike!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 22, 2004 14:22:52

Been a while since someone posted, huh? We've all disappeared...

I don't really mind because I haven't been here in a while myself!

Lots of works to do, but it's the weekend now!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 1, 2004 11:54:05

Hey Trav.

I hope your studies are going well. I have not been online recently....I guess I was too busy. You are right about Laura Branignan. She is one of my favorite female singers. Yes, this topic of songs in finales, got a lot of postings, but I give you all the credit for it, since you got the idea of bringing up the subject in here

Only 7 months and a half before the new Mondial SAQ season....time really flies when you're having fun!!! I can't wait for the new schedule to come out......wanna know if IPON will be there in 2005

Take care and see you in a while...until then, bye!

Pierre

Posted: Nov 4, 2004 15:06:15   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre,

Thx.

Yes, I still feel bad about Laura Branigan.

You're right about time going by. We're into November already. The only thing I hate now is that terrible cold weather settling in, not to mention the sun going down just after 5:00 P.M.

I remeber back in July and the other wonderful months of summer whn the sun was up to almost 9:15 P.M! No more thunderstorms either!

It's so sad now.

Hope to hear form you soon. BTW, I still watch those finale clips that you sent to Paul back in good old August. There still gret to watch.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 10:34:12

BTW, guys,

We now officially have over 100 registered users on the forum!

Check out the statistics page on this site.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 17:52:11

Trav.

Yes, the month of November is a sad month. Actually, it is the only month I don't like. I know that thunderstorms will be absent for the next months, but they sometimes happen during the winter too.....very rarely though. I don't know about you, but I love snow. It's white and when it is real cold outside, the snowflakes shine as they fall to the ground. Have you ever paid close attention to how beautiful a snowflake is? As they fall during the night, they glitter like some of those fireworks, fall to the ground so gently, so softly. I think it is such a gift of Mother Nature.

I am glad that you are still enjoying those clips I have sent......I do enjoy them too and all those posted in here

Speaking of music and fireworks, do you remember seeing the videoclip to Paul McCartney's song called "No more lonely nights"? There's fireworks during the last portion of the song. What a nice finale for a song

Have a great weekend

Pierre

Posted: Nov 13, 2004 08:39:19

Pierre,

Sorry for the "over a week later" reply.

Yeah, I miss those thunderstorms already. We're almost half wey through Novemeber, so you're right, time has passed rather quickly since July 28th. I think we're doing a good job killing time. We have had great topics to cover since then!

As for Paul McCartney's song "No more lonely Nights," you're right, it would make a great fireworks finale, especially, as you say, with the fireworks at the last portion of the song. You have good taste in good soundtrack!

Have you ever seen Mortal Kombat? That soundtrack would make an excellent finale, depending on the theme, of course.

What do you think?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Mar 14, 2005 19:07:10

Hi there,

Better late than never I suppose. I have never been to any pyromusical contests but hope I can make the trip one day from New Zealand. Finale music pieces we use for our shows vary greatly depending on the occasion - a birthday, wedding or community festival. At a church gathering we used BYU Concert Choir's, All Creatures of Our God and King. That brought tears to a lot of eyes. Orpheus In The Underworld also goes down really well at community festivals. I am surprised that few pyro people in North America use the American Symphony from Mr Holland's Opus soundtrack. It's superb and builds so well at the end. For Guy Fawke's finales Queen gets the crowds every time. The soundtrack to Queen's stage show We Will Rock You has superb versions of We Are The Champions and We Will Rock You - Fast Version. I take my hat off to the Brits as they really are the masters of rock music finales and these two have 20 second endings that knocks the crowds socks off every time. Riverdance is used a lot for finales and Celtic music is very popular world-wide. The Corrs has a great instrumental version of Toss The Feathers which makes a great finale. Anyway that's my 5 cents worth.Hakat

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 09:18:50

The most typical kind of music, most of the time, for a great finale, usally involves the music to start off slow and pick up gradually, but with lasting feeling in the end, which picks up the pace, depending on the sequence.

Trav.

Posted: Mar 21, 2005 09:06:10   Edited by: Smoke

Hello guys,

WELCOME TO SPRING!!!!!!!!! I know it's a little off topic, but I couldn't resist the enthusiasm.

Well, the official start was yesterday, just so you all know and, the days keep getting longer everyday.

And my, are we ever getting closer to June!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.014