Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Competition - win a ticket for the closing show
. 1 . 2 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 07:58:13   Edited by: fireworksforum

As promised earlier in the season, I have a competition for forum members. You *must* be a member of this forum as of 11:00am today, 28th July 2004 to take part and you must provide some means for me to contact you if you win. In the event of multiple winners, there will be a tie-breaking question.

The prize is one ticket in the Silver Section for the closing display tonight.

The question (in 2 parts) is:

* How many displays have I seen at the Montreal fireworks competition as of 11:00am July 28th 2004?

* What are the names of the companies of the displays I didn't see since my arrival in Montreal in February 1993?

Please send your answers to webmaster@montreal-fireworks.com and give some means of me contacting you. To win, you have to be able to accept the prize and attend tonight's display. I will not be able to provide transport but will arrange to get the ticket to the lucky winner.

The competition will close at 4pm today and I will contact the winner at that time!

Good luck!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 09:45:44

Paul,

To tell you the truth, I already know the answers, however, the only problem is that there's only one ticket.......Plus, my family is coming and they prefer watching on Notre-Dame. So, I don't want to ruin the opportunity for others who would benefit more from this ticket.

I wouldn't mind winning it, but because of all the constraints. I would've loved to come, especially in gettting the honour of meeting you for the first time. I know I've told you that I might be there for the Panzera show, but unfortunately, I don't think it will happen. Next yesr, though, I will make a big effort in actually meeting you!

Anyways, good luck, everyone, in finding the answers!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 09:54:42

yes, indeed, the answers r very esay

im in the same situation as Smoke, 1 ticket would be good for me only, but others will have to pay to enter

its good for someone, who can go alone

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 10:11:18   Edited by: fireworksforum

If I had more tickets, I'd willingly give them, but I only have 1. Sorry guys.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 10:53:44

No sweat, Paul. It's not a big issue. It's very kind of you to make such an offer to fellow enthusiasts, especially since it's for the Panzera closing show!

Anyways, Enkil, any news from EC? You can post your reply in the "weather cooperation" topic.

I can't wait to see the winner!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 13:06:09

Well, sad to say it's now 4pm and no-one has won the competition. Perhaps I'll have to hold it again next year (though with different questions of course).

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 13:21:04

Paul

i think u should have posted this, a few days before and post on the frontpage http://www.montreal-fireworks.com

i personaly had no idea there was going to be a competition today, until this morning,
even if i wanted to go with someone today, i cant tell the person at the last minute
to go to La Ronde, u have to go there earlier and know that ure going that day (well, at least for me)

if i was old enough to go by myself, i would have answered those questions

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 13:31:47

If I'd have known in advance that I had a spare ticket, I would have certainly done that. In the end, someone called me who needed a ticket so all is not lost.

I didn't have any idea there was going to be a competition until the last moment and then I remembered I'd said something about doing something for forum members. Next time, I'll plan it better.

Out of interest, what are your answers to the questions? (Of course, next time I'll use different ones).

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 13:40:48

the first answer would be 110 displays

the second answer: Pirotecnia Zaragozana and Ampleman

the second one was easy becuz we had the names of the companies on mondialsaq.com, althro im not sure if its only does ones, cuz i checked it very fast

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 13:48:58

Your first answer is correct, but I'm afraid your second answer is not quite correct!

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 14:07:20

i give up i checked every report

it might be a closing show, cuz in some report u didnt mention if u attend it

or maybe instead of saying Ampleman, i should say Ampleman Pyrotechnie

Smoke, what r ure answers?

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 14:17:11   Edited by: fireworksforum

I've never missed a closing show so far

But if you take how many shows I've seen so far (for which your answer is correct) compared to how many shows there have been since 1993, then ... well, you'll have to do the research and the maths.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 14:34:33

Paul,

The 1st question was a breeze for me to get through because I knew right away that you mentioned that Kimbolton, last year, was your 100th display. So, I just counted from there foward and got a grand total of 110.

I'm not so sure about the second question. Out of all the years, the year that which you missed the 2 shows, don't have the company names. How ironic. Still, don't tell me the answers, ok?

Well, I've seen many displays, too, since I've been to the competition since 1990, so my total is around over 127, not too sure, I've lost count!

One question, where were you in 1992?

Anyways, I'm still doing some research to find that second question.

Still worried about the weather.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 14:39:35

In 1992, I was living in Portugal and working at the Universidade de Aveiro in the department of electronics and telecommunications.

http://www.det.ua.pt

I was a professor in that department teaching VLSI Design (chip design).

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 14:41:25

i counted every country lol and i got 111 and and i checked it again

im not sure if in 1993 the was a closing show, cuz in ure report it doesnt mention

anyways, i must be missing something

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 14:52:05

Don't rely on my site being 100% accurate!! Sometimes I didn't report on the closing shows, but I didn't miss any of them. I'll give you a clue, I missed shows on the same dates but in different years.

You'll probably have to go to the official Mondial SAQ website to figure out the answer.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 15:12:16

i think theres Brunchu Hnos. (Spain)

i hope im right, cuz im so messed up, its getting tedious

i was hoping i could rely on ure reports

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 15:23:50   Edited by: Admin

Enkil,

Same here. If you noticed, that particular year, 1995, doesn't have the names of the companies! What rotten luck! I think that's why Paul chose that question. It's because it would be a little too easy to just go directly there and get it! Definitely some research involved! I tried doing many quick searches, but no luck. I'm trying to get some info on the Mondial SAQ website. And I still counted 110 displays. How did you get 111? You must have counted one twice.

Anyways, I will find those other answers! I don't give up so easily!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2004 22:06:12   Edited by: fireworksforum

1994 - Brunchu Hnos 25th June
1995 - Zaragozane 25th June
1995 - Ampleman 16th July

It was a trick question because in my 1994 report I just didn't mention Brunchu. As for why 1995 has no company names, someone else formatted the report for me because 1993-1995 was before I had the website. When I started this site in 1996, I just took the reports from 1993-1995 from the guy who put them into HTML for me.

Congratulations for all who came close though! Now it is 111 displays

Paul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 07:25:15   Edited by: Smoke

Drat!

I knew 1996 was Ampleman, but I just couldn't get the other one!

Anyways, thx for the anwers, Paul! Are you still keeping the ticket for next year?

BTW, we had an excellent weather record, despite all the threats that were predicted in the evenings! Although, last night I did see some heavier rain clouds forming just to the southeast, with a some lightning flashes, but nothing to major, although there was some electrical eactivity within the cloud base. It would've been bad if it came, but thankfully, despite the smoke and lack of wind problem combined with heavy humidity, we were spared, once more, for the 10th consecutive time. Kinda like 2001!

Once again, congrats on your accurate prediction and congrats for Weco! Last year, I was rooting and predicting Canada, and I was right, after all. This year, I was suspecting Germany, but so many others, too, especially my personal favorites, Holland and Italy.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 08:01:53

see Paul, i had found it!

i was checking ure reports and mondialsaq.com and found that Brunchu Hnos wasnt there lol

after i found it, i just posted here and stopped searching cuz it was too painfull to continu lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 08:55:48

Enkil,

I was going crazy, too! I didn't have time anymore to look for it because I had to get going to the display!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 12:11:51

Trav,

I can't keep the ticket for next year as they are dated for the specific fireworks event - it wasn't a general admission to La Ronde but an actual seat in the Silver section.

Congratulations, though, to Enkil who had figured out the correct answer. I'll have to think up a new competition for next year and give people more time to prepare

Paul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 12:31:35   Edited by: Enkil

btw,

Smoke, did u watch Canada's show in 1995? i did

i know that it was raining that day, very strong and i believe the reason why we went that night was becuz it was reported that there wouldnt be any rain at night (i think)

i remember that day sooo well, it was raining soooo strong and with thunderstorms (i think) with no wind (again, i think)

it was total CHAOS, we couldnt see anything, just a few lights, it was 10 times worst than last nights show, and i remember i was on bridge and i was all wet

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 14:25:01

Enkil,

The answer to that is simply, yes! How can I ever forget what happened to them that day! That was a display that had one of the strongest rains I had ever seen. Plus, there was a huge thunderstorm overhead. I think I was seing more lightning than fireworks.

You should've seen me that night. We were all the way up front on Notre-Dame and we were just getting the soaking of our lives. Not even the umbrellas helped.

And you're absolutely right. After everyone was complaining about the smoke build up last night......you should've seen then! If by some miracle you could see the a speck of any fireworks, you would be lucky!!! There was nothing to see! You couldn't even see the smoke build up because of the heavy rain in front! I think I remember during the finale, the thunder went and was even louder than some of the salutes! At the same time, my hair and clothes were just soaked and I was filling up with water! It looked like I just jumped in a pool!

As for the forecast that day, I think they said the risk was there, but was very low. I suspected something was going to happen, not because of the heat and humidity, but because it was Canada! I can imagine how bad it was for you on the bridge!

It really was something for me to remember! I can't forget! It feels like the other day to me! It really was CHAOS! The thunderstorm definitely prevailed! Paul, you really missed that!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 14:33:21

I know - it was raining so hard that evening that I knew it would be impossible to see anything, let alone take any notes. So I took a hard decision and stayed at home.

By the way, the other two displays I missed, which were both on the 25th June, were because it was my ex-wife's birthday. Well, she wasn't an ex in those days so I didn't have much choice! I hope she's not reading this forum

Paul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 14:41:30

Paul,

Nothing to see at all, that evening!!!!! As Enkil and I said, it was the rain to see that day! All your literally hearing is noise coming from nowhere!

As for you missing on the 25th of June that year, I think you should've taken her to the fireworks as a birthday present! I'm positive that she would've loved it! That would've been sweet of you! But then again, you wouldn't be paying attention to her because you'll be taking notes!

I remember that display, too! It was really good and the finale was amazing! Oh, the ones you missed! Lets hope that she's not reading the forum, for your sake!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 14:44:28

lol

i wonder why they didnt cancelled it

i think it was a waist of money for the spectators in La Ronde and the company who paid all the materials

its scary to think if something like that happens again lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 14:47:05

Enkil,

It's possible! Although, we were very lucky to have a great weather record this year!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2004 19:31:21

Hello,
i am so happy to read all your words and get so much from them, thank you very much for the wonder words. im very fond of fireworks but i seldom see them, for there is so little in my erea ( as i know), after finish ure words i find myself was so found of pyro competitions. Wouly u please tell me more about these famous competitions world-wide?
thx again!

sun
. 1 . 2 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.028