Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› A new video to download
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 2, 2004 17:02:28   Edited by: fireworksforum

Since it is so quiet here these days, I thought everyone would like a new video to download. This is also a finale (of course) but it starts off slow.

http://mixed-messages.net/Downloads/popeye.avi

See if anyone can guess who it was by and when.

Enjoy!

Paul.

Posted: Oct 2, 2004 17:14:50

its a Panzera Closing final

from 2000, becuz of the soundtrack

always thx a lot Paul!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:37:39

Yes, indeed, Paul!

It has been VERY quiet around here and I'm happy that you're throwing all these finale videos at us! Thanks a lot! These videos really get discussion going, especially since I'm a huge finale fan!

I haven't watched it yet, and I was willing to take a guess. However, it looks like Enkil figured it out already.

I'm sure Pierre would say the same!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 17:53:47

You got that right Paul....we just love to watch finales, even those who start off slow. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I really appreciate. Makes the long, long wait until June 2005, seem a little shorter

I don't know who's display that is, but Enkil seems to know already

Pierre

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 18:09:45

its obvious, guys

dont u remember its 2000 closing? i personally think it was the best closing ever, remember those cartoon songs? u might not remember becuz u didnt know it was on the radio, i assume

i can remember it very well, becuz i watched it at La Ronde, remember when the ferris wheel was turning with those fireworks inside, thats the one

i remember i wanted to record the whole soundtrack from the radio on a cassette, but i didnt have a radio with me, of course!!! it was really kewl to hear the themes, still wish i had it recorded, brings back a lot of good old child memories

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 18:50:05   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil,

Yes, I think you're right. It is Panzera 2000. I don't remember the theme songs, but I remember that it was a powerful ending. I was right up front Notre-Dame. It was killer intense!

However, the most intense Panzera finale I've ever seen was in 1995, or in 1997, one of those years. The one in 1991 wasn't bad either.

As for Pierre, I totally agree. These videos are really making time go by! I mean, it's October already! Paul, keep em coming! I love your surprises!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 19:08:20

yes, Smoke, there was a year, 1995 or 1997, it was the most intense closing id seen

all i can remember was that at the very ending they lauched, a.... dunno its name

well its a salute that exploses and then it explose again in mini ones

u know, mondialsaq.com's Caballer clip, thats the one

damn.. we need to learn the names

anyways, is that the one u meant? becuz i know that one was by far the most intense

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 19:18:40   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil,

Yes, that's the one. I remember that it was ongoing and never seemed to end with everything breaking loose! And yes, I know what you're talking about, those ones that explode into the louder ones.

We really need to learn the names, as you say.

The only problem is that I can't remember the year, although I'm nearly positive that it was in either 1995 or 1997. In any case, a truly remarkable finale.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 19:32:03

i still havent seen one like that in years

i think it was 1997, it has to be 1997 or 1998, im guessing

its funny that u still remember it like me, i was really blown away from that one

i checked Paul's reports, but no help there

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 19:40:56

It still lingers on the edge of my mind. I can't really forget something like that. I think I remember it in 1995, I'm not sure, but it does ring a bell. If not, then definitely 1997. I'm positive it's one of those two years.

As for those type of fireworks, I haven't seen them again since then, unless they've been used but for a short time span and we didn't notice.

I also find it funny that you remember it like me. I guess great pyro minds think alike!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 19:47:46

"As for those type of fireworks, I haven't seen them again since then, unless they've been used but for a short time span and we didn't notice. "

what type of fireworks? i meant i didnt see a final like that in years, i think u misunderstood

u know, i wish every Panzera closing was intense like that, i can remember so well, i was standing on the bridge, i was a kid back then, and i was trying to convience everyone that it was the most intense one we've seen

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 07:36:07

Enkil,

No, I did not misunderstand. This is what I was talking about:

well its a salute that exploses and then it explose again in mini ones I quoted this from your post.

I meant that we haven't seen a "finale" with those respective effects, in terms of the excessive use of the "fireworks that explode into mini ones". That finale back then was very powerful and intense because of that capacity, not to mention the other salutes and massive shells used at a relatively constant pace and plus, it was lasting. My point is that I haven't seen excessive uses of those "fireworks that explode into mini ones" in Panzera finales in recent years, unlike the one we saw in 1997 or 1995, whichever. Don't get me wrong, we have seen them quite a bit in this year's finale and others, but not to the extent in the way we saw it that year. I know, this completely contradicts what I said in my previous post. My mistake. To correct that, what I meant to say is the frequency of seeing them, not seeing them at all. That's what I meant.

As for wishing that every Panzera closing show finale was as intense as that one, I agree. To be honest with you, I actually found that most of the closing show finales in the 1990's were more intense than the ones today. This is just me, though.

I was 13 in 1997, so I was also a kid, well, a teenager! I was way up front on Notre-Dame with my entire family. And like you, my perception of that finale to my relatives back then were just like yours. It's funny, I think I had the same reaction as you. I think I also said: "THAT WAS THE #1 FINALE" I think it was true, though. I totally agree with you. It was a finale to remember. Definitlely one I'll always remember and refer to.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 17:57:14   Edited by: fireworksforum

The effect you're both talking about "well its a salute that exploses and then it explose again in mini ones" is used by Panzera every year, as well as by Ipon. That type of shell is actually a variety of a shell-of-shells, where the main shell is filled with salutes. The Italians call this a [b]studata lambi[/i]. I saw Ipon's script this year and the last set of cues used were all studata lambi.

As for Panzera finales seeming less intense now than in the past, it's hard to say if this is true or not since familiarity changes one's perception. I also had the same feeling, but then I rembered that the Panzera displays I saw in 1993 and 1994 were the first times I'd seen one of their displays; then in 1995 I bought tickets for the closing show (this was my first time at La Ronde) and the pereception was different again. Now I find it takes more and more each year to give the same level of excitement as I had in those early years.

If I recall correctly after talking to Benito Pagano (of Ipon), the products used in the finale this time were basically the same as his previous visits to Montreal, though they might have been timed differently. I do know that the entire finale only used 9 electrical cues - all the rest of the timing was provided by very clever use of pyrotechnic time delays - truly the work of a master craftsman.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 19:17:57

no wonder in Ipon display is was used alot

i will take a guess on this on
i think the reason why the Panzera finales r less intense, its becuz maybe they decided to work more on the 30min show, than just making a huge final

personally ill say this, i think ive said in the past,
personally Panzera's 30min show isnt higher than the competitors, i mean im not amazed, unlike the competitors, they always have something unique that will amaze u

i just think there good for a nice final to end the competition and i think since they dont compete they should work more on their final than the whole show
just a personal thought for Panzera's shows

Posted: Oct 5, 2004 13:27:23   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil,

Couldn't have said it better myself. As Paul said, "familiarity changes ones perception." This is partially true, in my case. The very first Panzera finale I've seen was in 1990, but the one I saw in 1997 or 1995, whichever, it was spectacular. Typically, all Panzera finales are exciting, which is true, so I know everyone of those 500, 000+ people expect and experience the same thing and I know that everyone screams their lungs out when it's intense, as it always is, but the one in either 1995 or 1997 was thunderous and frightening, as I recall it. This is also true for many of the other finales in the 90's. For some reason, back then I seemed to get more excited and frantic when the finale presented itself. Once again, it's the perception of familiarity, in my case. This is the way I've perceived it.

Please don't get me wrong about this year's finale! I rank this to be one of the best Panzera finales, even better than last year's, since it was longer and louder along with a lot of color! It's a shame that many of us saw it gobbled up in smoke! Last year's was about 1:33, and this year's is about a minute more!

As for Enkil's final comment, this is also my personal opinion. Since it has nothing to do with the competition, they should work on the the finale much more, but keep the same thing with the whole concept. I'm thinking a 5 minute finale! Kinda like the one we've experience with Atlas (U.S.A) in 1995 or like Caballer or IPON of this year! Both killer finales and definitely to give the large crowd of Montreal something to remember and make them look more foward to the following year's competition.

Once again, my personal opinion on the matter.

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 5, 2004 16:49:44

Paul,

That reminds me........

Do you remember France of 1993? All that cardboard and paper and those killer salutes?

That's one I'll never forget. I remember where I was standing, which was right in the back of Notre-Dame, where that building is.

That was actually one of the loudest displays I've ever witnessed!

Trav.

Posted: Oct 5, 2004 18:05:37

I remember it well - I was there on Notre Dame as well. There was just so much cardboard and paper in the air! I'll certainly never forget that one. You're right about it being loud; I think the wind direction must have enhanced the sounds even further, which is probably why we got so much of the debris.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Oct 5, 2004 19:22:30   Edited by: Smoke

Yeah, I read your report for that year and I saw where you said that a "THUMP" could be felt in the chest for almost every salute and shell! That's so true. When I was standing there that night, I tought it would push me down! All I remember was being scared!

Will that ever happen again?

Ever since then, I've always wondered if France would do that again. However, I don't it's permitted. It was a big clean-up job after all! My white car had black stuff all over it and all that cardboard stuck all over!

To be honest, the noise was fearsome at times and the finale was out of this world! Once again, one of the loudest displays I've ever heard.

BTW, where did you stand on Notre-Dame?

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022