Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› What are the fireworks like?
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 08:51:22

A while ago, I was asked "what is the fireworks competition like?"

Here's my reply

Paul.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 09:51:06

hehe

i see u have the British accent, lol
btw, r u by any chance, a heiress to the marriott hotels?

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:26:12

I'd be a girl if I was an heiress And. sadly, I'm not an heir to the Marriott hotel empire either.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:26:16

Enkil,

I don't think that there's any relation between the Marriott hotels and Paul.........at least I think so!

It's true, though. I can also tell that Paul has the British accent there!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:29:25

yeah, i meant heir, sorry about it

i was just kidding, u know i was waiting to ask u that (as a joke) lol

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:33:38

If I had a $1 for every time I'd been asked that question, then I think I'd probably buy the hotel chain

Paul.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 12:58:18   Edited by: Smoke

That's so true!

I'm not surprised that you get that question so often. I've even considered asking that to you! To be honest, every time I hear or read about the Marriott hotels, I always remember you. I guess it's because it's your last name.

I've got a popular last name, too! My last name is Moore.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 13:04:51

Moores store!!!

or maybe ure Michael Moore's relative

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 13:29:33

Enkil,

No, I'm not Micheal Moore's relative, nor am I Julianne Moore's or Demi Moore's relative. No relation!

As for the Moores Store, I wish my family had owned the chains of those stores.

You'd be surprised how often I get that question! There's a lot of Moore's out there!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 14:00:13

ok hehe

Paul, i was wondering, was that clip taken from a documentary or something?

it sounds like one, i would LOVE to see all of it

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 14:29:42   Edited by: fireworksforum

It was taken from a Discovery Channel documentary called "The Fireworks Roadtrip". I think it was broadcast last year sometime but I only recently got a copy. The interview was done in 2002. Actually, I was interviewed both in Boston on July 4th (I was there to see Eric Tucker's show and was lucky enough to visit the firing barge - see the photos on this site) and then I was interviewed again at La Ronde on July 6th 2002. From the 15 minutes or so of interview I gave, around 20 seconds was used in the show! There's probably one more clip I'll put up, together with some extra video that will go with it.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 14:50:57

Paul,

I know it has been a while, but are you working on any new display?

I know you did a couple during the summer, around Canada Day and the other was somewhere else.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 17:00:56

another question for u, Paul

will u ever going to post segments, instead finals? like 5min or so

i know finals is everyones favourite, but watching segments can be enjoyable, besides we dont get to see them very well outside La Ronde

i know it can take a lot of space, but perphas, u can post (for example) one segment per week, depending how much u have

i strongly think that the idea of posting videos is really popular and attractive!

just a suggestion

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 17:32:43

Hey Paul,

It is nice to finally be able to put a face on your name! I bet I will be the first to tell you this, but I think you look a lot like Alan Parsons, without the beard!

Pierre

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 18:20:52

Enkil: I'll see what I can do for some more video clips. It takes time to format them etc. and I have a lot of material I can use too! As you know, they do take up a lot of space. However, the divx coding does save quite a bit compared to other formats.

Pierre: you're only the second person to say I look like Alan Parsons ... I'll take it as a compliment

Smoke: no, I haven't worked on any displays recently - the last one I did was in St Pie in August. However, I'm hoping to work on something early in November - for the Canadian Fireworks Association's fall summit.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 18:39:57

Paul,

Impressive.

We are full of questions, aren't we?

Anyways, thx for the responses. I think it's great that you might be working on a new display! Please keep us informed!

Enkil's idea is also great! I would love to see clips from other degments, too! However, I still love the finale videos. It's a neat thought. I believe you proposed a video section recently? A video forum would be great!

As for Pierre's comment on you looking like Alan Parsons, he does have a point. Now that he mentions it, you do kinda look like him, well, sort of!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 18:43:55

Paul,

As soon as I saw you on that short clip, I immediately thought of Alan Parsons!

Of course you should take as a compliment, the fact that you look like him. He is a handsome guy. By the way, I have a lot of his CDs at home and I really enjoy his music. He is such a talented and gifted musician/songwriter. In fact, I think his music would fit perfectly in firework displays Yep, Alan Parsons' music while watching a firework display.....something to keep your "Eye in the sky" for sure........LOL

Pierre

Posted: Oct 3, 2004 19:01:12

Pierre,

That's a good proposal!

That gives me a great idea. We should consider making a discussion on what songs would go along great with a traditional fireworks display! For example, musical preferences for different segments or what theme song would go well with an intense finale. Of course, this inevitably depends on the choice of music of the selected firms or countries. I'm just proposing personal choices.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 17:59:06   Edited by: Salutes lover

Trav, you are on, my friend

What a great idea you have to suggest songs that would go well in a firework display. Here's my first suggestion:

The song called "Time" by none other than "The Alan Parsons Project". I would definitely see, or should I say "hear" that song being played, not in a finale, but in the soft part of the display......say, like just before the finale, kind of being the calm before the storm

I can easily see palm trees like shells being fired, as well as huge weeping willows while "Time" would be playing! Such a great song.

What do you think?

Pierre

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 18:00:07   Edited by: Salutes lover

OK guys!

Here is a song I would suggest for a firework display, but this time, this one would be used for the finale! It is a song by the late Laura Branigan, who sadly passed away in late August of 2004 at the young age of 47. The song in question is called "Solitaire". There's kind of a build up at the end of the song, where salutes (of course, salutes, what else? teehee) would be fired from all sides, exploding in the dark Montreal sky, making the Jacques-Cartier bridge shake in its foundation, while Pierre would be jumping up and down, screaming his lungs out......LOL

Pierre

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 18:28:19

OK...here's my last suggestion for this evening. Again, from Laura Branigan, the song called "The lucky one".

It would fit nicely during a finale because the ending is intense and ends very abruptly......that would go so well, with a barrage of salutes which would be sent in thousands at the very end of the display/song, only to stop in a split second, at the same time the song ends! Woof!

Posted: Oct 5, 2004 13:39:16

Pierre,

Very good suggestions! Laura Branigan was one of my favorite singers. It's a shame that she passed away, and at a relatively young age, 47!

Anyways, her music would make great finales and other concepts for a typical display.

Other than that, althought this goes a little off theme, I think a great theme for a Panzera finale would be from Mortal Kombat. That's a good song, although it might not be appropriate for the general concept. But I think that it would be an insane finale with thunderous salutes with bright and colorful fireworks, not mention longevity!

Don't worry, I'll have plenty of more suggestions for soundtrack for a good finale!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.024