Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› 31st Dec - largest display ever in Quebec
Last poster Message

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 16:36:00   Edited by: fireworksforum

For the closing of the year and the 375 celebrations in Montreal, the largest ever display fired in Quebec will be shot from various locations, including La Ronde, together with a light show on the Jacques Cartier bridge. The display will be performed jointly by Royal and GFA. La Ronde's technical director, Paul Csukassy, will be the technical director for this display too!

More details here: [url=https://www.375mtl.com/en/programming/le-grand-decompte-822/
]https://www.375mtl.com/en/programming/le-grand-decompte-822/
[/url]

Paul.

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 11:32:17

I saw poster advertisements for the display recently. It could be quite an interesting and enjoyable show, providing suitable weather conditions, including not being overly cold at the time!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 14:00:11

It would have been better if it were scheduled on another day, honestly. Being with family on NYE, not good timing.

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 11:39:12

Bonjour tout le monde

Joyeuses fêtes à tous.
Je ne manquerai pas les feux du 31 décembre et je vais aussi voir ceux qui sont présentés tous les Samedis dans la Vieux port.
Votre AIDE si vous le savez......Quel sera le meilleur ENDROIT pour ne rien manquer dy grand feu le 31 décembre/et le spectacle d'éclairage du pont.

Merci à l'avance de ce coup de main.

Roger

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 18:09:32

From what I understand, the best spot for all the "action" would be by the Clock Tower Quay. This is where the old port beach is during the summer, at the back of the parking lot.

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 21:10:59

Indeed, I was told that most firing positions will be located along the Ste. Helene island (facing Montreal), with two additional firing positions at the Cité du Havre and the Old Port Quay where Fire on Ice is held. So viewers on the Clock Tower Quay shall have a panoramic view of the whole display.

I wish the best luck to those who are going to set up this show in extremely cold, polar conditions.

Fred

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 12:19:44

I wish the best luck to those who are going to set up this show in extremely cold, polar conditions.

Indeed, and this persistent bitter cold is occurring due to the recent destabilization of the polar vortex.

Polar vortex displacement usually occurs in response to a sudden stratospheric warming event, which fairly recently took place over the Gulf of Alaska. When this warming develops, it weakens the structural integrity of the polar vortex and causes it to become unstable. As the vortex destabilizes, it has the freedom to drift farther South than usual, causing violently cold temperatures to occur at the mid-latitudes. When the vortex weakens, it also eventually divides into two (sometimes more) separate vortices. One of these vortices has moved over the Eastern portion of the North American continent, while the other moved towards Siberia.

This phenomenon happens almost every late-Fall and Winter at some point, but what is more unusual about this current event is how long it will last (virtually 9 to 10 days in total). In most cases, the vortex lingers for usually no more than 4 to 6 days before retreating. The last unusually persistent polar vortex displacement was in January 1981.

Largely because of this, this will also be our coldest December in 17 years, despite the mild conditions featured by December 1st to December 10th.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 17:56:33

I could not attend the fireworks display because a competing NYE activity organized by a friend. Fortunately, full videos of the display begin to appear on the Web.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cint8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wvBjNl7lxc

The first one has the best visual quality, but doesn't capture the soundtrack. The second one was recorded from the Old Port and features the musics, but the image is much less stable. Neither includes the fireworks launched from the Cité du Havre (but a couple of seconds in the first one) and the Old Port Jacques-Cartier Quay (was a firing position actually located there?).

Fred

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 18:21:18

Fred,

there was a position on the Jacques-Carier Quay as well - essentially the same place as the shells position for the Feux sur Glace displays.

I did attend the display - despite the extreme cold, it was spectacular!

Paul.

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 08:14:30

Bon matin tout le monde

Je me suis rendu au quai de l'horloge d'où j'ai pu voir à la fois le Pont et tous les sites de lancement. Tout simplement, une prestation grandiose, spectaculaire ,intense, un régal pour les yeux.
Je lève mon chapeau à Royal , GFA et Paul Csukassy qui ont du mettre beaucoup de temps pour concevoir un si beau projet.

Roger

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023