Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› The evolution of the Portuguese Ring ...
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 12:20:19

I've just returned from La Ronde and can confirm that the Portuguese Ring of Luso's display of 2002 has evolved significantly for 2005. Now it is a hemispherical structure of about the same 8-9m (25-30 feet) diameter. Also, two concrete blast sheilds had been installed on ramp 2 which is something I've never seen done before.

To the left and right hand sides of the lake there are two large circular screens floating and, in the lake between them, many angled shiny objects floating in the water - though I wasn't able to discern what these are. My guess is that they are gerbs of some kind.

So, once again, it looks like the Portuguese team of Groupo Luso are going to present a very interesting display.

As usual, spectators at La Ronde will be best placed to see everything and I suspect that people watching from the river banks may be disappointed since they won't see all of these special effects.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 13:13:44   Edited by: Smoke

Paul,

If that's the case, then I'll probably have to go up front on Notre-Dame to get at least a small glimpse of these effects. It may be hard to see, but we tend to see some very low "flashings" of the effects, well, most of the time. I know for sure we won't see the performers!

And it's no doubt that the ring has evolved since then. I'm waiting eagerly to see it. Do you know which segment it will be used?

Anyways, do you have any news on the listings of the soundtracks for this display?

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 13:20:50

Here's the songs used:

Kyosui Yoshi Fujimoto
Barbapapa´s Groove Barbatuques
5th Symphony Beethoven
Flamenco Eva Yerbabuena
Ritmo - Main Theme Vitor Machado
Kunya Sobe René Dupéré
Queda d'agua Artur Fernandes
Underwater Stomp
Reflections of earth Gavin Greenaway

Note that the "Ritmo - Main Theme" is by the designer of the display, Vitor Machado and, if I understand correctly, this will be "music" that it done entirely by the noise of the fireworks themselves ... so the audience shouldn't be surprised if it appears the music has stopped! It looks like all the music will be rhythmic in nature so it should be a fascinating display.

As for when the ring/hemisphere is used, I suspect it will be used throughout the display as was the case of the ring in 2002.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 13:42:30

The soundtrack looks ideal for this, but, as you said, the music will be rythmic, so it should be fabulous, but different in a way. But it sure does sound promising.

The first song looks like it's Japanese, so you can see the variations. I'm also interested to see how the ring will be used along with this type of rhythm. It should be stunning.

And don't worry, it should be more comfortable in terms of weather, though I love the way it was last time! I crave for that type of heat!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021