Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Official results.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 30, 2006 00:11:58

Hi guys,

I still didn't hear the results yet due to noise. Could someone please post it as soon as possible?

Thanks.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2006 00:17:42   Edited by: Enkil

1. USA
2. France
3. Australia

It looks like the judges who watched from La Ronde agree with me that USA should be #1 and Australia #3, lol. But I'm not surprised by the official results, though.

Whereas, for tonight's Panzera show, I was 100% surprised and shocked!

Well, I'm not going to give a full review for tonight's show. All I will say us that I had mixed impressions about the whole display, except for the finale. I think in general the display was just ok and maybe a little bit better than other Panzera displays.

But ahhhhhhh!!!!! Is that what you call an "unforgettable" display?

Really, everyone thought that the finale was going to be HUGE! I think even the guy from Rythme FM said that there were rumours that it was expect to be really BIG!

But guess what? That was the WORST Panzera finale I have ever seen! Last year's, was bad enough, but this year's was worse! Where the heck were all those salutes in the end??!!!

Ok, before I explode again, I'm just going to say that when the finale finished, people around me were all clapping while I had my mouth open IN RAGE after the fair wheel's lights came on!

However, I should also wish a Happy 200th display to l’International des feux Loto-Québec! lol

To me, the only "unforgettable" and memorable Panzera display I've seen was in 1997.

But I think in general, having watched all the displays, I can only say that each display were getting better week after week. But I can't say the same for finales, though they were a little bit better than last year's. This year's shows were really very good, especially USA's display.

As for Rythme FM, to them for having put songs instead of broadcasting live Michel Lacroix's anouncement of the winners like they did in previous years... :/

And now, let's wait another 10 and 1/2 months as we age in the cold and at school (or at work). But let's not forget the Pyjama fireworks and those Italian salutes! lol

Posted: Jul 30, 2006 00:34:23

Alright, thank you, Enkil.

Congratulations on your predictions, my friend! You predicted USA to win first! In addition, you had Australia in the right place!

Paul and I had the right choices in our preferences, just we had Australia and the US in the wrong place. But, we had France in the right area! Very accurate predictions this year for all of us!

Good night!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2006 15:48:28   Edited by: canuck

Wow, did i think last nights show SUCK. WTF was that, you can't go around and say that this is going to be a huge show and then put on that crap for 27 mins. The last 3 mins was classic Panzera but who did the first 27 mins .

Posted: Jul 30, 2006 15:49:15   Edited by: canuck

As for the winners, I can understand why they were placed the way they were, but im a little upset that austrlia was placed so low. Congrats to all the winners, and to all the countries for putting on one of the better competetions weve seen in a while.

Posted: Jul 30, 2006 16:47:59   Edited by: Enkil

Well, I wouldn't say last night's show sucked, I would place it between OK and good.

However, I disagree with you when you say that last night's finale was a "classic Panzera finale"! Hell no, it wasn't. A classic finale from Panzera for me is one that ends with those LOUD salutes.

I suppose Panzera won't provide us huge finales anymore, like they used to. But this change that we're facing now is something that I don't want, nor accept.

The public doesn't realize it because they just like what they see and are always happy and clap for any type of finale of any intensity, but the fact is that finales used to be way bigger and are *suppose* to be improved, just like the displays.

Instead, they're trying to change them silently year after year. Maybe it's because of its costs or they prefer concentrating on the overall creativity of the displays, I don't know. All I know is that the finale is the part that the public appreciates the most and will always be.

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 00:16:12

Well, i personally feel like there is more to a finale then salutes. They do nothing for me at all. So i guess i don't miss them when they are not there. I meant in the way that the finale had some lasting power, unlike last years where it was done in like 20 secs. The first part of the finale wasn't incredible or anything but it was still decent. The finale reminded me more of what they are capable of doing in a finale instead of what they did last year. I personally feel as though they did the exact opposite of last year. I enjoyed 27 mins of the show last year and the finale was disapointing, where as this year the first 27 mins were boring and the finale was enjoyable.

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 00:18:50

And ive always considered panzera shows to be one of the best during the year. This show would not have ranked in my top 6 for this year, and im my books, that sucks for panzera. I just expect so much out of them.

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 15:26:57   Edited by: Smoke

Guys,

In my own viewpoint, Panzera's display was certainly enjoyable for nearly the entire display, though much of the firing occured predominantly at mid levels of the sky, which was much too redundant. The colors, in general, were well chosen and the beginning of the display had a very pleasing loud start. I also loved the extensive use of the screaming serpents and the mixing of the shells of swirls.

The ending was disappointing, although I found it better than last year's somewhat, but it was also not as impressive since, especially, our expectations were (as always) so high. I just couldn't concur with the real finish in which it was concocted. All those kamuros were irrelevant and took away the excitement of the show. The series of faux finales just before were excellent since there were loud crackling bombs that burst in the centre of each colorful shell. The final piece wasn't all that exciting considering that we were expecting a variety of colors. Instead, it was all white and no variations whatsoever. The good news was that the entire thing was lengthy and had good crescendo, but just lacked to getting to the knock out blow. In that sense, it wasn't the best way to finish off the 200th display!

And yes, canuck, I am in total acquiescence about a typical ending construction. It sure does require much more than just solely a pack of salutes. Personally, I don't care much for just the sole firing of salutes at the very end. Rather, I'd like them to be integrated with other things that happen in the sky to accompany them since this makes it far more fortifying. I want an ending with colors upon colors with sharp loudness mingled with good increasing pace. The salutes should also keep firing while other things are simultaneously happening continuously and consecutively. The ending should also be bright and have at least a 3+ minute duration as well as a powerful faux finale. The Panzera finale in 1997, as Enkil said, was a classic proof of that scenario. However, I suspect that, in the long run, I'm starting to get the impression and conclusion that those types of enamored finales are nothing but a myth and a chasm in time.

As for the winner choices, I personally thought that it was a fair selection given the circumstances. However, I also have that internal anguish that Australia was ranked so low, but we need to keep in mind that they had problems that were witnessed from La Ronde, as some of the members have acknowledged. In addition, perhaps the choice of music came into play since there was both a temptation of a reappearance of some soundtrack and therefore ended up being not as original. Then again, the same idea could be interpreted for Argentina in the sense that there was repetitive choices of music to a high extent, but the key variable is that the music had different beats and allowed for differing rhythmic flow in both displays, so, in this sense, they were still inevitably original.

USA had the best synchronization this season along with some very distinct attempts at transitions. However, they were not as original in the overall concept and the choice of colors were not in a huge variety, though had excellent variations of combination within colors. Australia, on the other hand, had a higher content of colors used along with a stronger conceptual premise and a well established thematic connection. The downfalls, as I said, related to technical problems and perhaps in the music sector, though I loved the music choice above all else.

Personally, regardless of the problems, Australia had a much more powerful and intense display than that of the American's performance from beginning to end, but the US show was still one of the most exciting and suffered minimal dilemmas, I think. Synchronization also gave them the advantage to gain possession of first place. This is why I said, in my review of the winners, that USA could win the gold, though my degree of confidence wasn't all that high to support it.

That being said, if Australia didn't experience those problems as was claimed, then I'm sure they would have gotten that gold. But alas, you cannot judge what could have been when the actual performance had already occured. In any case, I am still content with the winners since all that I predicted showed up (unlike last year), but I just mixed up Australia and the US, though I had France in the right place in my personal choice! Given that France equally had no problems and an equally strong of a theme (and complex), colors and concept, it would seem reasonable that they were placed higher than Australia. It would also appear that the judges would possibly have understood the complexity of the French theme as well.

And, as a side note, is was more disappointing when they did not announce the winners exactly when they shot up the fireworks for the awards just after 9:30.

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022