Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Firework at La Ronde - Oct. 28th... and other news
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 07:59:24

Following the cancellation of the traditional Pyjama firework show early this season, an ultimate display is scheduled for Saturday, October 28th, at 7:30pm. On one side, this is a good news since it was a shame to not see all the unexploded pieces brought by the contestants throughout the summer, especially with the Italian issue. On the other side, the news may be disappointing since it is going to be a very short show (maybe 7-8 minutes, or something like that) with no music. Nonetheless, the challenge to associate the pieces to the contestant who has used them will be greater since the competition is over since three months!

Moreover, it looks obvious that people at La Ronde will not be able to see the show from the best seats and will have to go to the Bronze section. Workers are rebuilding the midway across the Place du Canada.

Finally, there are some changes regarding the management team at La Ronde. Leonard Turtora has left the park. Jean Quintin, the marketing manager, is general manager "par intérim".

Fred

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 17:08:57

oh yes sir un feux a 7:30 et en passant il y a les feux de la grande mascarade la même journée a 10:15 aux quai jacque-cartier !!!!
un deux pour 1 !! en passant il y a un feux le 27,28 et 29 octobre aux quai jacque-cartier !!! et c'est concept fiatlux qui tire le tout !

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 19:46:57   Edited by: Enkil

WOW! Awesome! I'm really happy to hear this! What a surprise!

I'll probably go on Notre Dame street.
It's funny we're in Midterm with all exams, and I'm going to see fireworks from La Ronde! Plus, it feels almost like Winter.

And that's another problem, this Saturday will be too freaking cold! 7°C, but who cares!

reloadable shell,

J'ai cru avoir vu le mot mascleta à la place de mascarade! Merde!. Ça m'a excité pour un moment lol. Quand même, je voudrai vraiment aller au Vieux-Montréal pour les feux de la Grande Mascarade après les feux de La Ronde, mais 10:15 est trop tard, et sûrement il va faire froid en maudit!

Posted: Oct 24, 2006 08:10:57   Edited by: fredbastien

Pour le froid, on peut toujours s'habiller chaudement. Ce que je crains davantage, c'est la pluie. J'imagine que le météorologue officiel de montreal-fireworks.com nous fera bientôt un topo de la situation. À toi la parole, Trav!

Fred

Posted: Oct 24, 2006 19:59:34   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

I'm quite impressed and surprised to see a display being fired at this time of year! And yes, Enkil, it seems radically strange to see the presence of fireworks during midterm examinations.

And Fred, you're right; you need to dress warmly given that this October was practically a replica of November's average temperatures. Saturday, in particular, or at least according to some models and predictions, is expected to have copious rains and cool temperatures of 6-8 Celsius, so I suppose it's wise to bring the umbrellas. Finally, we'll see a breezy day with winds near or above 25 km/h from the East.

As always, you can't really guarantee what happens in the evening hours, nor can you take high credibilty in a long term forecast, but, with all respect, I do suspect that a fireworks display can be fired at even 6:30 p.m nowadays since it's practically dark by this time, so rain could get in the way by these constraints. Furthermore, I think on Saturday (or Sunday) we put the clock back one hour, so it will be dark by mid 5 p.m or before.

Really, I abhor this time of year! My entire area has pretty much no leaves left hanging whatsoever. And there's even the risk of wet snow tonight!

Anyhow, I'm not entirely sure if I'll attend the spectacle since I live all the way in the West Island (and thus no subway), so it's kind of hard to decide whether to go to a 7-8 minute show given the travel time. I'd love to do it for old times, though.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 27, 2006 09:26:26   Edited by: Enkil

Guys! Tomorrow's weather is horrible. It will snow tonight, after midnight and it will rain a lot tomorrow with strong winds, up to 45 km/h! I really don't know if I will be albe to go there tomorrow. Why does everything go wrong all the time?

Maybe it should be postponed to Sunday? But I don't think La Ronde can do that now.

Smoke, just to let you know I'll be online tonight!

Posted: Oct 27, 2006 12:05:08   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil (and everyone),

It appears as if you beat me to it. Yes, you're right; the weather is going to be down right lousy tomorrow with snow to wet snow (1-3 centimeters) and powerful sustained winds at 45-50 km/h from the East and perhaps the Northeast. I suspect the gusts could cross the 70 km/h barrier at times, too. The rains themselves will be copious and heavy at times while it will be chilly (it's not a warm Summer rain).

The snow will commence overnight, though I'm a bit skeptical given the border line temperature values, but it's possible. The accumulations wouldn't be huge since the surface is still relatively warm, but it's still a good portion (should it happen) for October. On the other hand, I believe it can snow since the temperature is feasible while it is ideal for some very moist snow. In fact, the most significant snows can occur between -4 to +1 Celsius depending on the temperature of the layer of air below the cloud deck.

With all respect, I don't think it would be wise for me to travel all the way there in these weather conditions. But seriously, snow???!!!! We've been having the risk of "rain or snow" for some time now and we have done a good job of evading it, but now it could be the first time we see this form of precipitation. This reminds me of the 90s when we used to have snow around Halloween and it was too cold to stay out long! (Last year was so warm, too).

I'm starting to get this rather "chilly" feeling that my prediction (and many other similar ones presented) "might" be starting to come true...Will we be having a harsh Winter and burried in snow?

And yes, Enkil, I'll be online as well. Have fun at school.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 27, 2006 12:50:04   Edited by: fredbastien

I got some info from La Ronde PR service this morning. In the finest tradition of La Ronde's firework crew tradition, the show must go on! It is their intention to perform the show rain (snow?) or shine. The show may be displayed despite heavy rain. However, if the wind is too strong (as it should be according to weather forecast), the firework will be canceled OR postponed: a decision should be make only tomorrow.

Since the pieces will be installed anyway and that not shooting them before the winter is an issue for the park, I guess that the show would be postponed to Sunday. But this is just me...

Stay tuned!

Fred

Posted: Oct 27, 2006 13:32:05   Edited by: Smoke

Fred,

I was doing some observations and paying attention to a more detailed synopsis on The Weather Network and it suggests that Montreal's risk of snow, as what I also was saying before, is a tough call to predict given the temperature and the temperatures of the overlying air layers. In higher elevation areas around us, though, there's a much better chance for heavy wet snow. However, if it does snow, that snow will change over to rain later overnight as the temperature rises, but the winds will increase, as will the rain (a lot of it). I know winds are a prime concern, but the rain can also be problematic since it isn't like the rain we had during France's display, so it's like double trouble, unfortunately.

Hopefully, the winds wouldn't be as impending and hopefully, the rains will ease during those precious 7-8 minutes. If anyone goes, though, please be sure to dress appropriately and to watch out for the winds.

On a side note, the snows that will be experienced in places like Sudbury or North Bay, Ontario, will be seeing 20 to even 40 cm of snow! In Southern Ontario, it will be a rain event (lucky them).

Jeeze, I wish it could be 30-40 Celsius again. I wonder what the fireworks would feel like during snowfall...In any case, if the display is delayed until Sunday, then you may be fortunate to see a double display since there will be one at the Old Port. Then again, I'm not so sure about the weather on Sunday either, though I'm sure it will be much improved from tomorrow.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 27, 2006 15:35:29   Edited by: Enkil

I totally agree with Smoke.

The rain that came during France's display is nothing compared to what we will get tomorrow. We're talking about heavy rain and strong winds (45km/h - 70km/h). There's no way I could go there under those conditions. Plus, the cold temperature will make it worse if I get wet. I wish Papineau metro was close to Notre Dame Street!

I know the show goes on even if it rains, but I highly doubt a lot of people will go to La Ronde (the rides will be closed all day anyway), maybe only pyrofreaks who can.

I was thinking that they should postponed it to Sunday, but the weather doesn't look good for that day either, unless if I calms down in the evening.

The problem is that La Ronde is closing on Sunday, so maybe they should postponed it to next Saturday and make it the park's last day.

I feel bad for La Ronde and for the fireworks, they've been hit by a curse this year.

Posted: Oct 27, 2006 18:23:55   Edited by: fredbastien

I was thinking that they should postponed it to Sunday, but the weather doesn't look good for that day either, unless if I calms down in the evening.

The problem is that La Ronde is closing on Sunday, so maybe they should postponed it to next Saturday and make it the park's last day.

If this dramatic scenario happens, I guess that La Ronde would fire the pieces a couple of days later, without any audience.

I would be very surprised to learn for an additional day next week.

Fred

Posted: Oct 28, 2006 12:58:25   Edited by: Enkil

Good news. The weather will improve greatly, but the rain won't calm before 8pm, and we will be the edge of improvement at 7:30pm. Also, the winds will diminish a lot, down to 15km/h and there will be 40% chances of rain. It will also stay "warm".

I suppose the show can still go on, but the chances of heavy rain 7:30 are still somewhat high.

Posted: Oct 28, 2006 17:20:25

Fred,

Did they cancel it? I think I'm going tonight.

Posted: Oct 28, 2006 18:42:49

Hi guys,

All I can say is to bring an umbrella and dress warmly. As Enkil said, the winds won't be as strong due to the speed of the actual low pressure system (it's slow). However, the real wind is yet to come tonight throughout tomorrow, so beware.

And don't forget to turn your clocks back one hour before you all sleep.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 28, 2006 20:24:33

It was a cold and windy night, down on Notre Dame and de Lorimier ... but the hardcore pyromaniacs were there ... well, three of us anyway. Two from the forum (if you include me) and the other member's gratious driver.

Lots of Italian fireworks, but it was sad the weather was so dismal. It's my first time down there since July 19th 1995 which, ironically, was Soldi SRL who won the bronze Jupiter that year and contributed a large quantity of tonight's display.

Now we just have seven and a half months until the debut of the 23rd Edition of the competion.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 28, 2006 21:21:37   Edited by: Enkil

Hehe, tonight was crazy. Cold as hell and very strong winds. It reminded to England 2003, and it started off about 5-10min late.

I think it was definitely was one of the top displays, but unfortunately, it didn't last very long. There were a lot of salutes, and the ending was good.

Though, the biggest suprise of the night was meeting Paul! lol Omg, I can't believe we finally met. That was totally unexpected and I was kinda very shy and shocked that I didn't know what to tell him! lol

Posted: Oct 29, 2006 02:36:04   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Paul,

I was more and less expecting an abysmal evening with regards to the weather, but at least you guys were fortunate enough to see a display at this time of the year.

I'm also aware that Enkil and yourself actually met, ironically enough, on Notre-Dame tonight, which must've been something. I'm sorry I couldn't make my appearance there, however, due to many circumstances (mostly because of my location and because of the weather).

Finally, I see that you haven't been on Notre-Dame since 1995. It really has changed since then, but it's good to know that you've met back with old times.

And Enkil,

I appreciate the small briefing, but it's good to know that you had witnessed a good display. It's too bad it was delayed a little, but at least it came out nicely and better than expected, especially with all the salutes used.

And yes, that scenario really reminds us of England 2003. However, we may as well see the strongest of winds coming our way as the day progresses.

And let's not forget to turn the clocks back one hour!

Trav.

Posted: Oct 30, 2006 09:12:44

I can't believe that I missed a firework at La Ronde! Once again, the firework team has demonstrated that nothing can stop them, even the fact that the park was closed! Around the end of the afternoon Saturday, I learnt that the park was closed since 3:00pm, due to the weather. My reasoning was simple: park closed = no display.

I went to La Ronde yesterday and met Martyne Gagnon, the firework director. She said that the show had been displayed Saturday because they already have expected too high wind for Sunday.

I am really disappointed. However, it is very nice to learn that Enkil and Paul have an opportunity to meet. I invite Enkil and Smoke to purchase a season pass next year, so we would have more opportunities to meet and discuss!

Fred

Posted: Oct 30, 2006 09:26:55   Edited by: Enkil

Fred,

Does that mean there was no one inside the park, expect a few pyrotechnicans and workers? I think they should have allowed people who have the season pass to go in the park for the fireworks even thought the rides were closed.

BTW, I really don't mind buying a season pass and I would love to watch it from La Ronde, but as long I find someone who is willing to go with me every night and go on rides. I think that perfect person is Smoke lol, but I don't know, he usually goes with his family. Anyway, we'll see.

Posted: Oct 30, 2006 10:27:04

Does that mean there was no one inside the park, expect a few pyrotechnicans and workers?

You are right.

I think they should have allowed people who have the season pass to go in the park for the fireworks even thought the rides were closed.

This is a financial issue. Letting people going inside the park = to pay additional workers (security guards, maintenance employees, entrance staff...). Due to the poor weather condition, this decision is not surprising and, in this particular contexte, not a bad one.

Fred

Posted: Oct 30, 2006 14:41:24

Fred,

Thanks for the invitation, my friend. To be perfectly honest, I have seriously been considering on getting that ever so valuable season pass for next Summer. Furthermore, it would really be an honor to meet you and Paul at the displays all the time so that we can, as you said, discuss many aspects of pyrotechnics and the actual fireworks displays in their entirety.

Enkil was very lucky to have met Paul, so I'm happy for both of them to get the privilege. It would have been something else if I had the opportunity to go as well, not to mention you, Fred.

And yes, Enkil, you would also be the perfect candidate to go with to La Ronde to both ride and to watch the fireworks as no one in my family has that riding spirit anymore towards amusement parks as they used to. With luck, I'm hoping that we will get that opportunity to the highest extent for next Summer.

Best regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021