Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› City plans to bill La Ronde for police services on
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 6, 2007 09:20:05   Edited by: fredbastien

There is a major cloud over the Montreal competition, and I'm not talking about the state of the sky.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070704/CPACTUALITES/707040634/5077 /CPACTUALITES

City of Montreal plans to send a bill to the organizers of some events when the police services are required, for instance to close streets and to manage the traffic.

According to the official Claude Dauphin, the cultural events (Jazz, FrancoFolies...) would not be concerned because they contribute to the attractiveness of Montreal. However, he believes that for some other events, like the Montreal International Firework Competition, citizens don't have to pay for these services. He expects that La Ronde would have to pay about $300,000 per year to the City.

I think that this news is worst than the federal rule which has forbidden the sponsorship from tobacco companies. I don't have the exact figure, but I suspect that $300,000 may be about one third of the annual budget of the event.

Most people who watch the firework shows are outside La Ronde. Several companies make money with this event (cruises, restaurants, bars, etc.). In my viewpoint, it is fair to share costs with the whole community. Having the involvement of some public services (police, firemen, public transport system) is a way to share them.

Moreover, I'm disgusted to learn that the Montreal's official doesn't think that this competition is a major cultural event for the city. Maybe I should not be surprised: the actual mayor has never come at La Ronde for a firework night; the former Pierre Bourque has always attended to the opening and closing displays.

A bill which would give more taxation powers to the City is actually studied by the provincial legislature. If it is adopted, the City then may execute this plan. I'm afraid that Six Flags may decide to drop the competition.

Fred

Posted: Jul 6, 2007 11:49:02   Edited by: Enkil

I don't think it's La Ronde's fault if its event attracts many people. The fireworks are first and foremost for those who watch them at La Ronde. It has nothing to do with its surroundings, I believe.

What really irritates me is this quote: "Ces activités (le Festival de jazz ou les FrancoFolies) sont une richesse pour Montréal. On ne veut pas les pénaliser." That's such a cruel and an unfair statement. Isn't the international fireworks a richness also? Isn't it the biggest event in Montreal (I think)?

Posted: Jul 7, 2007 18:29:43   Edited by: Rovira

Now I'm worried about this...... Montreal international competition is the most important fireworks competition......Is it not an special cultural event?...

No city on the worls has a competition like Montreal...with the prestige and the quality of it's displays.....no city has a competition with the same organitzation...

L'international des feux has become a dream for all people who love fireworks...is like the Oscars but with fireworks..... Why your major doesnt' know it?¿ (I supose that La Ronde knows that..at least I hope...)

I attended The montreal international competition two years ago (I'm from Barcelona). I came to Montreal to see fireworks...and I will come back... so please... it can't change ...

Posted: Jul 7, 2007 22:59:45

I think that's absurd. This will be my fourth year going to montreal for the sole purpose of seeing the fireworks festival. It has to bring a large amount of tourism and money into the city. I think the mayor is being very short-sighted.

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 00:29:40   Edited by: Enkil

[...]
La présidente de la Chambre de commerce de Montréal, Isabelle Hudon, s’est quant à elle portée à la défense du maire Tremblay.

Le débat a été relancé la semaine dernière, après que La Presse eut annoncé que Montréal envisageait de faire payer par les promoteurs les services de police que nécessitent leurs activités.

Cette nouvelle mesure ne toucherait toutefois pas les organismes à but non lucratif comme les festivals. Qu’à cela ne tienne: la nouvelle a mis le feu aux poudres. Le lendemain, M. Rozon a menacé d’organiser son festival ailleurs en dénonçant l’obstructionnisme de la Ville de Montréal.

Ces nouvelles mesures envisagées par la Ville sont prévues par le projet de loi 22, présenté à l’Assemblée nationale récemment afin de permettre à la Ville de Montréal de trouver de nouvelles sources de revenus. Tant Renée Sauriol qu’Isabelle Hudon ont fait remarquer que ces mesures sont loin d’être adoptées.

«Probablement qu’une réaction comme celle-là donne au maire un avant-goût de la température de l’eau, a dit cette dernière. Mais qu’on menace de retirer un festival d’une ville, je trouve ça vraiment triste et aberrant. Je peux comprendre que les organisateurs subissent des pressions. Mais je trouve dommage qu’on soit rendu là.»

«Il y a des choses qui doivent se régler privément. Sinon, si l’on montre toutes nos cartes, si l’on étale tous nos états d’âme, comme ça, on va payer cher», a-t-elle ajouté. Elle faisait allusion aux villes qui convoitent des festivals semblables à ceux de Montréal et qui «doivent se frotter les mains en lisant les titres des journaux».
[...]

Full article @ http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070707/CPACTUALITES/70707121 /6488/CPACTUALITES

Posted: Jul 9, 2007 23:29:57   Edited by: Smoke

I'm very disappointed by this news. The Montreal fireworks competition is an integral part of our city and it holds a large prestigious honor in the Summer festivities altogether.

It's still very hard for me to believe that there was even the slight bit of consideration to possibly extinguish this competition, regardless of whatever reason(s) may be at work here. I honestly don't want to see the competition fall apart before it ever has a chance to be witnessed by other newer spectators and even newer generations. This is a competition that attracts a multitude of people each year as far as I can remember and it is simultaneously the true definition of Summer in the city of Montreal. All that said, I'd very much like the city to continue to live up with its impeccable reputation as the biggest fireworks competition in the world and to honor the good Summer months.

The fireworks are also a landmark and major attraction for La Ronde, promotes quite a bit of economic prosperity, and very much encourages many tourists every single year.

If the fireworks were to ever end (God forbid), there can only be outrage and great sorrow.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.018