Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Changes at the Place du Canada and the main midway
Last poster Message

Posted: May 3, 2008 11:18:42   Edited by: fredbastien

La Ronde has dramatically changed the size of the Place du Canada. To see pictures taken on May 2nd, click on this link and scroll down the page:

http://thrillzone.invisionplus.net/index.php?mforum=thrillzone&showtop ic=847&mforum=thrillzone&st=0

I can't believe it: the Bronze section has been rebuilt over the main midway, behind the Silver section. It appears that the firing room where pyrotechnicians stand during the display is no longer there; only the concrete base is.

More disappointing, in my opinion, is the disappearance of one of the last spot to see the display from La Ronde without purchasing tickets, that is, the main midway of the park. The ultimate spot, now, is a small footprint between the Arcade and La Crémière.

Fred

Posted: May 22, 2008 20:54:53   Edited by: Enkil

I'm planning to buy my La Ronde pass this season. I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but I remember back in 2000, on fireworks days, there were plastic seats between the bronze section (I think) and La Pitoune. We had to be there by 5pm to get seats. I think the spot you're referring to, is where people sat on the floor to watch the fireworks, from what I remember.

Also, isn't there a plan that allows you to get a seat ticket if you pay extra (3$ or something)?

Posted: May 24, 2008 09:35:24   Edited by: fredbastien

I rode through the Jacques-Cartier bridge last weekend. I was happy to see that a new firing room is under construction at the top of the newly installed Bronze section, just behind the former room. It looked large enough to accommodate the broadcaster, the audio control section and the room for pyrotechnicians.

Enkil: I don't remember the seats you are talking about, so I guess they are no longer there. Yes, the spot I'm referring to is where people sat on the floor. A much more larger and very interesting spot was in front of La Spirale, just left to the Jardin des Étoiles, until 1998 or 1999. Unfortunately, this spot lost interest with the expansion of the VIP section.

About cheaper tickets for season pass holders, it is very difficult for me to provide you accurate information. Since several years, various deals has been offered to season pass holders but, strangely, they were never announced and writed on the website, at La Ronde entrance, etc. In 2007, it was possible for season pass holders to purchase a ticket at the entrance the day of the show, for a couple of bucks, which was interesting.

I guess that the new Bronze section is smaller than the old one. That new size may also be a reaction to the smaller attendance observed in the previous years, so we may reach a "capacity audience" more often in 2008 without a larger crowd.

Fred

Posted: May 24, 2008 09:53:45

Hi Fred,

Is the capacity still estimated at approximately 33,000 spectators at La Ronde since some of the viewing area has undergone these recent changes?

Trav.

Posted: May 24, 2008 12:46:05

Fred,

Thanks for the info. I also wanted to know at what time do you have to be there to get a good view?

Posted: May 24, 2008 20:05:23   Edited by: fredbastien

Is the capacity still estimated at approximately 33,000 spectators at La Ronde since some of the viewing area has undergone these recent changes?

I don't know. I suppose that more people will go behind the Arcade, where the Bronze section was located. To estimate this, we have to compare size of that footprint with the part of the midway now covered by the new terrace, and to know if there's any viewing obstruction behind the Arcade (a small building has been built, probably to sell tickets for new water activities).

I also wanted to know at what time do you have to be there to get a good view?

It basically depends of two things:

(1) What a good view means for you. For some people, being able to see most of the show is enough. For other people (like me), a good view means that there's nothing to prevent you to see the lowest effects, so it implies to be in front of a given area.

(2) The time of the season. Usually, crowd becomes larger as the season goes up.

My advice is to go early for the opening night (let say between 6:00pm and 7:00pm), in order to find where "your spot" will be and to know at what time the place begins to be crowded.

Also, you should plan time to walk close to the Grande Roue and to take a look to the setup!

Fred

Posted: May 25, 2008 11:18:45   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the response. I merely posed the question out of curiosity since the park, particularly the seating area, has been transformed quite a bit over the years, most notably in the last couple. I'm fearful that these transformations may have resulted in a slight decrease in the original estimated spectator figure when compared to the original area. Then again, maybe I'm jumping the gun and it favors an increase. Either way, it's an interesting point to consider and I hope we can get a hold of comparative estimates in the near future.

Hi Enkil,

I suppose that another aspect that will affect your arrival timing at the "perfect spot" will also ultimately depend on the weather (cold, wet, windy, etc.). Like many areas in close proximity to the fireworks site, most people tend to just attend later under adverse conditions, just so to avoid the inconvenience of arriving early in that respect. Of course, many choose to simply not show up at all under that scenario, thus increasing your chances of accessing the good vantage points, even if arriving later than normal. On the other hand, ideal spots still can sometimes be taken relatively quickly despite weather conditions, so beware of this - make your departure timing accordingly.

In all cases, I'm assuming that it's far more difficult to acquire good viewing perspectives at La Ronde than it generally is on the banks of the St. Lawrence if you arrive later than usual, given the concentrated viewing area of the park.

Trav.

Posted: May 28, 2008 09:39:50   Edited by: fredbastien

Smoke:

Regarding the capacity, I now believe that there's a net decrease of available space for viewers who don't have tickets, since the entire footprint where Bronze section was formerly located will not be free:

1) Not only there's a new building for tickets and info about new water activities behind the Arcade, but a part of the ground near the lake is closed with new fences. I guess that the boarding to kayak and other boats will be done at that place. Fortunately, these fences are not high enough to prevent people to enjoy a good viewpoint over the lake and the display.

2) Another part of the ground will be occupied by the newly relocated "Bistro SAQ", which was formerly on the other side of the lake (between the Grande Roue and Tea Cups ride).

Fred

Posted: May 29, 2008 12:10:10

Hi Fred,

Again, thanks for the response. That sounds like it really limits non-ticket viewers quite a bit. With luck, there's still some decent free vantage points still around the firing site in the park, but even so, I believe these changes may result in an overall decrease in the maximum spectator capacity. Perhaps some of the formerly non-ticket viewers will now be faced with the choice of either purchasing tickets or simply relocating themselves elsewhere for convenience, I suppose.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 20:26:42   Edited by: Enkil

I was at La Ronde yesterday (Sunday), and I finally bought my season pass. It's interesting to note that when you buy your pass, they give you plenty of exclusive offers. The offers include free adminission tickets for friends and 10$ discounts. In the past, none of these offers were included with the season pass when La Ronde was owned by Montreal.

There are four offers related to the fireworks: 4 Reserved Seats for 5$ each (Bronze section only). So it's 5$ per seat? Strange...

BTW, I have to comment about the park, since I haven't been to La Ronde in a while. It now looks a lot more modern and professional. It almost feels and looks like a real amusement park. I think Six Flags is doing a good job so far.

My friend and I had a great time at La Ronde. There weren't a lot of people, probably because the weather was too hot and because of thunderstorm threats. The thunderstorm was short and somewhat intense, but I saw lighting and heard thunder a few times, Smoke!

The biggest downside is that the price of food at La Ronde has seriously skyrocked since the late 1990s and early 2000s. It's even more expensive now, but I believe everything else is already too expensive at La Ronde, which is normal I guess.

Over the years, I've read many bad reviews about today's La Ronde and how the service has degraded since it was bought by Six Flags. Honestly, aside the prices and the always dead-looking employees and ops (not all of them, hehe), I had another enjoyable day at La Ronde and wasn't disappointed or anything.

Oh yeah, a few weeks ago, the director of La Ronde, Marc Tremblay, said on LCN that they will add one big ride and another major one, either next year or the year after. Looney Tunes will also make their first appearance at La Ronde. And finally, La Ronde will be officially "Six Flaged" in a couple of years from now.

While I was there, I wanted to have a good look at the new seats and perhaps, try to find an ideal spot for the fireworks, but we had no time. The rides close at 7pm in June! La Ronde used to close its rides at 11:30pm in the past, but after mid-June, they will close them at 9pm, except during fireworks days and a few days in August when they will remain open until 11:30pm. At 9pm, it's barely dark outside!

Anyway, I'm really excited for this year and it's good to be back at La Ronde.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 10:45:52

Hello ,

there are no photos of the new changes to the La Ronde ?

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 19:54:20

Benito, stay tuned!

Once again this year, www.pyroplanet.com will do a complete coverage of the Montreal International Firework Competition, beginning next week. You will have a complete tour of the site where fireworks are displayed, and more!

Fred

Posted: Jun 12, 2008 00:25:24

Hey, That would be awesome, I've always looked at the reports by pyroplanet!!! I wish that full videos is on the to do list again this year hehehe!

Posted: Jun 12, 2008 02:40:22

Thanks for the link, Fred - I look forward to seeing the coverage with much anticipation.

And yes, Enkil, I saw that t-storm as well. Glad you witnessed it at La Ronde. Thank you for sharing your information and experience, btw. I can imagine the lower than normal attendance at La Ronde given the weather conditions that day, though I suspect that this was perhaps attributed to the heat - I'm sure you could take it, though!

I hope you took a moment when you entered the park, considering that it has been ~6 years since your last visit.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.029