Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Incredible display in Dubai
Last poster Message

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 08:10:37

Take a look at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7740887.stm

1100 firing modules, around 33,000 cues for a display that's approximately 5 minutes long. This makes it around 60x larger than the largest Montreal displays (on a per-minute basis). Makes the recent Olympics look like a back yard display!

Paul.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 11:48:05

Paul,

Thanks for posting this, as well as the statistics. It's also crazy to hear that about $20 million was spent on this display, for just ~5 minutes! I was actually going to post the video shortly after I had seen it live on CNN a couple of days ago, but it looks like you beat me to it. lol Really, this was truly a magnificent display, and at first glance, I could hardly believe my eyes in what I was seeing, especially in terms of the immense area size in which the fireworks were taking place. This would have definitely been something to see in person!

It's just as much mind-boggling in how this display was concocted and how much work it must have been to put it on. Fortunately, Dubai has a relatively dry climate during the Summer and Fall and fairly wet Winters, characterizing it as arid and sub-tropical, so one need not worry too much about significant rainfall at this time of year, nor having to deal with excessive moisture like we commonly see here in the Summer.

Anyhow, I had found a video on Youtube that provided the same footage as was seen on CNN. It's the same idea, just with no interruptions:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAIItGzjRw

Enjoy!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 16:40:05

It's also crazy to hear that about $20 million was spent on this display, for just ~5 minutes!

That was the cost of the whole party, not the display. The display was around $6.5million - still a lot though!

Paul.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 16:59:38   Edited by: Smoke

Yeah, I had read that statistic just recently - thanks for mentioning the correct figure as well. Still, though, $20 million for the entire party is a hefty load of cash, not to mention that about 33% of it was devoted to the fireworks display!

Edit: The display was so massive that it could be seen from space.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 11:36:41

Its the biggest massive show ever seen !! thats unbeliveable !

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 07:16:09   Edited by: Rovira

I'm sorry but I didn't like this show. Maybe it's huge, with an incredible cost but in terms of design I thing it's a bit stupid.
I prefer to see a good pyromusical in a smallest place with less money thant this "incredble" exhibition of power and money.

With less budget is possible to do better displays.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.013