Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› OFFICIAL SCHEDULE 2009
. 1 . 2 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 15:50:06

It will be out tomorrow guys !!!!

Watch the www.internationaldesfeuxlotoquebec.com web site, and all the schedule should show tomorrow !

And some surprise....

Stay tune !!!

M.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 16:19:56

All to say that it will be as pan-continental as is possible

Paul.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 16:23:19   Edited by: fredbastien

Though full schedule is not available today (and since the press release is edited today without the contestant names, I guess that we will not have this info tomorrow), we have some interesting stuff. First, we will have 10 displays. Once again, it looks that some well-informed people who have predicted a less-than-10-display season were wrong and, fortunately, that the low attendance in 2008 does not affect the 2009 edition. This is a good news.

Saturday, June 13th - Opening Display (off-competition)
Saturday, June 20th - Spain
Saturday, June 27th - England, United Kingdom
Saturday, July 4th - Australia
Saturday, July 11th - Hong Kong, China
Saturday, July 18th - Argentina
Saturday, July 25th - Québec, Canada
Saturday, August 1st - United States
Saturday, August 8th - South Africa
Saturday, August 15th - Closing Display (off-competition)

Second, we now have a confirmation that the 25th edition will not be a Platinum one, with all Gold-Winner contestants. I suppose that it is postponed to the 30th edition (if a 30th edition is held). We can expect to see PyroSpectaculars/Fireworks for Africa, Foti (Australia) and Pyromagic Productions (Hong Kong/China) among the entrants.

The calendar is always an issue. In 2009, it will be easier to understand than some years in the past, but viewers will now ask when fireworks begin on Wednesday... The loyal viewers will have to deal with an extended schedule and to stay in Montreal every weekends during two months. I have to plan more budget for Quebec-Montreal travels. Miserere.

Finally, marketing people are always very creative to find novelty even when there is nothing new. To state that Québec will be represented for the first time is a joke, especially since there were so few outside-Québec Canadian entrants in the competition history! What the national anthem will be? Is it a sign that no company will be new entrant in 2009?

I have already underlined in this forum that Québec has never been officially represented. I did so to criticize the fact that some foreign firms have represented a region rather than a country (England, Hong Kong and Holland), and that it was illogical for me. But now, the good thing is that I will no longer be able to complain that Québec has never been represented! Yes! (euh... Oui!)

Fred

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 17:29:20

It is frustrating that the competition goes until the middle of August. It is quite hard to give up every weekend in the Summer to remain in Montreal - especially as our summers are so short. I am hoping to go to the PGI convention in Iowa being held August 8-14 - so it's just possible, but still a pain.

As for the England/Holland/Hong Kong regional thing, I guess that's sort of historic. England was (and technically still is) a country that's part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; Holland is the colloquial name for The Netherlands and Hong Kong is a special case unto itself - though it has been referred to as HongKong/China in recent participations.

As for Quebec being represented for the first time, I read it as "the first time that all the continents have been present" not that it was the 1st time Quebec was represented. Though since they refer to England/United Kingdom and Hongkong/China (in the english press release) really they should say Quebec/Canada. Ah well, all will be revealed tomorrow (not that I don't have a good idea who the companies are )

Paul.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 17:42:27

As for Quebec being represented for the first time, I read it as "the first time that all the continents have been present" not that it was the 1st time Quebec was represented.

The press release states:

"L'International des Feux Loto-Québec présenté par TELUS s'offrira une 25e édition du tonnerre en 2009! Il ajoute à sa programmation un grand spectacle d'ouverture hors-compétition qui soulignera son anniversaire avec faste de même qu'une firme qui, pour la toute première fois en près d'un quart de siècle, représentera le Québec face aux autres délégations"

Fred

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 17:51:51

And the English one reads:

"a company will represent Québec in competition with delegations
from Argentina, Australia, England/United Kingdom, Hong Kong/China, South Africa, Spain and the United States"

So one could read that as the 1st time a company from Quebec has competed with that particular mix of countries - I suspect it's the 1st time that mix of countries have all been in the competition at the same time. Which is good, because it will make the 25th Edition a unique event - and that's all part of the thrill I think!

Paul.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 03:25:41   Edited by: Smoke

I would have personally preferred the schedule to be released in January (like that of 2004) than in December as it provides more anticipation and activity during that dark and dismal month. lol

In any case, quite an interesting schedule, to say the least. First, I'm surprised at the diversity of competitors participating for the 2009 season, especially continentally speaking - I'm not at all used to facing so few European countries in a given season. That said, for possibly the first time in a long time, the European countries participating in the 2009 edition numbers fewer than 3 - in the history of this competition, these nations comprised of anywhere from 33% to as much as over 50% of the competitors (depending on the number of participants in a given season, but the figure has always been 3 or greater since I've been attending this competition as of 1990).

I am also additionally quite flattered to see the competition again extending right into August (I had a feeling it would after the very first appearance of an August extended schedule this past season), though now through to mid August while eliminating displays falling on Wednesdays, or any other day during the work week, for the first time since the early 90s - only one display weekly each Saturday. I, for one, do like this scenario as it now allows for the competition to persist longer (in this case, a good two months) and gives people a better opportunity to attend most, or all, displays as they conveniently fall on Saturdays, which is quite advantageous under many respects. However, as I had speculated, an opening display seems to be scheduled this time around, which ushers in some disappointment as it takes up a spot for another possible entrant. I'm also somewhat disappointed by the fact that this will no longer be a platinum Jupiter-like season - the 25th anniversary of the competition would most certainly have been fit for it. The absence of Italy (more specifically, IPON SRL) invites additional disappointment for me, although it is very nice to see the return of Spain. Overall, however, I can't complain seeing that we once more have a nice full list of 10 displays!

I, too, have a pretty fair idea as to the firms that will likely represent some of the selected countries, but it's still quite the thrill to see who they'll actually turn out to be. All will be unraveled later today...

Trav.

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 19:57:24

Thanks for the info M. Haven't been on in a while! How are you all? Anyways, I'm excited to see what Spain has for us this year!My early predictions (my opinion) says that either once again England, or Spain or even United States take the cake. I can be sure of that because I always have this feeling and sometimes it turns out to be true. Except for this year...I hoped for Portugal to win, no luck there.

I'm looking forward to sharing conversations on next year. I hear fireworks are being set off in the weeks of Christmas and/or New Years. I'll try my best to make it!

Happy Holidays to all!

Pat

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 19:58:00   Edited by: Saluteness

I just read in the other topic about Les Feux Sur Glace, i didn't check it out before this one

Good luck to the participants of '09. Is it BEM again who is doing the fireworks on ice this year?

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 20:14:50

So, I guess the competitor firm list is delayed as it wasn't revealed yesterday...I'm just really impatient.

And yes, Pat, BEM is scheduled to do a display on the final night (the 27th) of the Fire on Ice event this year.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 23:11:23   Edited by: fredbastien

The contestant from Québec in the 2009 competition is Royal Pyrotechnie, winner of the Gold Jupiter in 2003.

Fred

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 01:51:45

Thanks for the news, Fred. It looks like our predictions, including my own, of Royal representing Canada was bang on!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 15:31:14

Hey, the schedule is out!

I'll start with what I think are great news.......

1- Displays held only on Saturdays, which makes the competition last longer
2- Displays on Saturdays, meaning that it is easier to attend since I don't have to work the next day (at least in my case).
3- An opening display, which I enjoy, specially with 2009 being an anniversary year.

Now, for the HUGE disappointment...

1- Italy's IPON S.R.L. will not be participating in 2009 and words just can't express how disappointed I am. I was SO looking forward to attend another wonderful firework display by my favorite pyrotechnic firm! I guess I will have to be patient and wait at least another year and a half, hoping that they (and Benito Pagano) will be back in 2010. To me, the firework competition is not the same without them!

Anyway, I should be happy that there is still a competition to look forward to.....we are so lucky to have them here in Montreal.

Have a great week everyone!

Pierre

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 23:58:37

I can't agree more Pierre. It is tragic that IPON S.R.L. cannot participate in 2009. I was looking forward to it. Vander told me they wont. But who knows if they participate the year after in 2010. It would be exciting due to the Winter Canadian Vancouver Olympics a few months after the display. But as well, for IPON, they aren't the same as they used to be. I saw a display on Youtube (obviously it's better to be there) and it was IPON in Germany, Vander knows too cause he sent me the link on MSN. It wasn't as powerful as they always had it at (my opinion). I believe that IPON hasn't lost it's tradition but yet has lost their intensity as it used to be in the late 90's as my father told me when he saw IPON. I might be wrong and see for myself when the time comes when IPON participates. Don't get me wrong, IPON is a great firm. But we should also look forward to the coming competition. Portugal put one heck of a display for us, who is to say that a great finale like that happens the coming competition?

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukah to all!

Pat

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 03:42:26

Hi !!!! First of all happy new year TO ALL of you !

I have heard that the entrance for this year from Spain is a new entry !!!!!!!! PIROFANTASIA is going to represent Spain on the Montreal competition. I think they won the Hannover contest two years ago. I haven't got more info, I will look for more and I will give it to you. Just to say that I'm really happy to see a new spanish company on your competition.

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 03:45:40

Uhmm sorry I was wrong.... it's going to display in Queec not in Monreal..... I'm really sorry .... ;-)

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 11:28:59

Just a brief note about Pirofantasia: They were disqualified in Hannover due to extensive use of salutes. However just that gives them an advantage in some forum members eyes ;-)

Usually they do very nice displays and they have great colors - and noice!

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 17:09:05

I suppose some competitions establish strict rules about the usage of salutes, among other things. I don't believe there's any existing rules prohibiting extensive use of salutes at our competition, or else there would be quite a few competitors that I can think of in the past that would have been disqualified already! The only thing I can remember that called for disqualification was the use of "parachute shells", which were used by Bugano (Switzerland) in 1999.

Long time no see, Lars. Thanks for providing a little background regarding Pirofantasia. Based on what you described, I would love to see them represent Spain at our competition one of these good years, especially with them being known for their noise (display packed with salutes)!

Happy new year to you.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 08:32:17   Edited by: fredbastien

Rovira wrotes:

I have heard that the entrance for this year from Spain is a new entry !!!!!!!! PIROFANTASIA is going to represent Spain on the Montreal competition.

I can't confirm anything about the involvement of Pirofantasia in the 2009 Montreal competition, but (a) I discussed with someone from this Spanish firm who was at La Ronde last summer and (b) it is the Spanish entrant to the Quebec City competition. Pirofantasia is another company belonging to the Caballer's pyro-dynasty.

Nick Mitri from Fireworks for Africa will also compete to the Quebec competition. I suspect that he will do the Montreal one too, as he did in 2006. If the Montreal competition allows Mitri to produce a display in both competitions, I can't see why it would not do the same for Pirofantasia or any other participant...

For those interested, the line-up for 2009 Quebec competition is here: http://www.lesgrandsfeux.com/fr/programmation.php

Fred

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 11:56:19

Interesting to see that Archangel fireworks from Manitoba (who were our Canadian Fireworks Association convention hosts in Winnipeg in April 2008) are competing for Canada in the Quebec competition.

Paul.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 13:46:39

Any idea on when we can expect the full company list for our competitors? It was supposed to be revealed since the 11th of December, but that's perfectly alright with me, as it keeps the anticipation going during this month - the longer the better, I suppose.

Other than that, quite a blizzard out there!

Trav.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 14:31:12   Edited by: Rovira

Fireworks for Africa will also compete to the Quebec competition. I suspect that he will do the Montreal one too, as he did in 2006. If the Montreal competition allows Mitri to produce a display in both competitions, I can't see why it would not do the same for Pirofantasia or any other participant...

Yes, I guess it's true... However, I think the case of Africa will be just an exception. Also England and Spain are going to compete in both competitions, and I don't think it will be with the same competitors.

I've seen some dislays from Pyrofantasia, and I have to say they weren't very special. Their way to display fireworks is from my point of view very classic, too much simple. I think they haven't the level to compete in Montreal. I don't know why, but I think Caballer will represent Spain this year. In the last half year Caballer has shot some pyromusicals here in Spain, more than usual, and as it happened with Ricardo Caballer in 2005 it could be like a test for what they are going to do in a future (maybe Montreal?). In September 2004 Ricardo Caballer display in Sueca a Pyromusical very similar to the Pyromusical we saw in Montreal just some months ater (less butget and lenght but with the same music and the same structure).

From England it could be Pains Fireworks or even Kimbolton (I would prefer the first one, but maybe it will be the second one due to Pains Firewoks was in Montreal only two seasons ago.)

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 16:43:08

Any idea on when we can expect the full company list for our competitors?

Smoke, I was told in December by La Ronde's PR that the full listing should be out beginning of 2009 and to watch out the web site... which i did so far... but except big typo mistakes, i didn't notice anything new on there...

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 07:58:59

Archangel Fireworks has won the HSBC Celebration of Lights competition, held in Vancouver, the past two years in a row. Since the Quebec competition is the sister of the Vancouver competition, it only seems natural that Archangel would compete there next.

Good luck to all the teams competing in Quebec this year.

Sean

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 10:39:46   Edited by: Lars

Hi Smoke

Yes it's been a while
I'm sure you will like Pirofantasia. They have good products including elegant glittering effects, brilliant colors - not to mention their excessive use of salutes that you like so much

I got the second place in the Hannover competition with the Danish team this year. Interméde from France got the first which was very well deserved. They did a highly artistic show a bit like Féérie's show last year (i think it was?). And they maybe had only 5% Chinese material - the rest was top of the line from the manufactures you so often celebrate on this forum - with good reason.

Have fun with the 2009 competition!

Kind regards,
Lars

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 23:51:27

Hi Lars,

Ah...the execessive use of chest-thumping salutes...that's music to my ears!

Congratulations to both you and the Danish team in being awarded second place at the Hannover competition. Best of luck in any future displays you attempt to concoct.

We'll certainly have fun with the 2009 competition, particularly in hopes of seeing some very innovative displays (being the 25th anniversary and all) and of course, some incredibly vehement finales and faux finales. We've long been overdue for a season with many strong fireworks finales, and it certainly feels fitting for it to occur in 2009!

Hope to see you around whenever time permits you.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 16:37:49   Edited by: PYRO75

Hi Everyone,

Just thought you'd like to know that Pains Fireworks have been invited to take part in the 2009 competition for England. If their performance in 2007 was anything to go by, I am looking forward to seeing what they have to offer this year.

Pyro

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 23:05:15

Thank you very much for this wonderful information, Pyro. The performance by Pains Fireworks at Montreal in 2007 was exquisitely crafted and was enough to win England the Gold Jupiter that year. I very much look forward to their display this coming Summer with much anticipation.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 15:56:32

Salut les pyromaniaques

I'm back..!!!! Salut Fred....
J'ai suivi les feux de glace du Vieux port mais pas tous...Je retiens entre autre l'excellente présentation de FAE....
Et voilà que nous recevons l'horaire des feux de Montréal. Cà veut dire que cà s'en vient.....Hélas on ne connait pas les firmes qui représenteront les pays ...SI Royal représente le Québec....je serai là pour les encourager à défaut de pouvoir faire partie du jury 25 ième.
Je reviens sur le forum...Salut tout le monde.

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 00:02:38

Has anyone heard anything regarding the full competitor list for 2009, or at least any rumors as to who might be representing the remainder of our mystery competitors that we have yet to figure out? So far, we know that Royal is representing Canada, and Pains Fireworks for England. The other six?

This is the longest the process has ever taken to reveal the entire detailed list - most of the time, everything is uncovered near mid December (the exception of January for that of 2004...special anniversary schedules link to delays perhaps?). Revealing everything one by one with time is quite entertaining as it is exciting, of course.

Happy Valentine's Day to all. And by the way, there are 34 days until Spring's arrival in the Northern hemisphere...Time to jump for joy.

Trav.
. 1 . 2 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023