Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Come watch my Canada Day display
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 16:00:07   Edited by: fireworksforum

In collaboration with Royal Pyrotechnie, I'm once again putting on a display for Canada Day in Knowlton, in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. For the second time, it will be a pyromusical. Entitled "Canada : Pays Olympique / Olympic Country" full details of the soundtrack, together with directions to the park are here. Thanks to Mylène Salvas for suggesting the theme / Merci à Mylène Salvas pour avoir suggéré le thème

Paul.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 09:52:51

The music for the display will be simulcast on CIDI Radio 99.1FM in the area in and around Knowlton!

Paul.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 12:11:45

i hope that someone will film this show. Basing on the soundtrack, im sure it would be a good one

Vander

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 12:19:14   Edited by: STL

I'll take pictures, as I usually do when going to a display, but I don't have a video camera unfortunately...

Can you bring your video camera and tripod, Paul ? I can "babysit" it during the show while I take my pictures if you want. It will be missing the "WOOOW!" and the "Horsetails!" audio comments if I do it, though

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 14:22:22

Can you bring your video camera and tripod, Paul ?

I will have my camera and tripod - but we are pretty close to the firing site and I know last year it was very difficult to get everything in, even with an extra wide angle lens. I'm hoping a couple of other people will be their with video cameras too so we can do a montage.

I'll keep my mouth shut if there's any horsetails (I've been pretty good about that this year) ... and I should know if there's horsetails or not

Paul.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 15:07:19   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

With that soundtrack i'm pretty sure that there would be some horsetails

Vander

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 15:32:25

Hmm, perhaps:

126.17 138.17 100 Shell Glittering Waterfall D3 x 5
126.17 138.17 100 Shell Glittering Waterfall D3 x 5
140.27 140.27 125 Shell Glittering Waterfall
140.27 140.27 125 Shell Glittering Waterfall
144.13 156.13 100 Shell Waterfall with White Flashing Pistal D3 x 5
144.13 156.13 100 Shell Waterfall with White Flashing Pistal D3 x 5

Paul

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 15:39:26   Edited by: STL

I'll keep my mouth shut if there's any horsetails (I've been pretty good about that this year) ... and I should know if there's horsetails or not

Don't ! I like it when I hear you shouting (or laughing) during a display. It's nice to "hear" the emotion felt by the audience during the display, as a video never completely captures the mood of the show.

Take for instance the happy laughs heard during "Bummel Petrus" sequence in Quebec 2009 : seeing the show without the audience reaction would not do justice to the segment, that was indeed funny on the site when we saw the comets dive in the lake. On the living room's screen, the feeling is not as strong, so the audience reaction (and yours, because you are closer to the microphone) helps recreating it somehow.

This is why I said that if I filmed, something would be missing from the video To a lesser extent, it would be like if Michel Lacroix countdown was missing. Notice that people asked Bob Burch to explicitely include the countdown in the videos.

Speaking of which, if I understand correctly, is Bob Burch uploading your own videos to his site ? I've noticed that you seemed to have a camera in front of you last time.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 16:17:01

Bob is uploading his videos - I haven't uploaded any yet - I'll probably put up the three winners.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 16:41:58

Hi Paul,

At what time is the display expected to start? 10:00 p.m?

Trav.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 18:27:11

At what time is the display expected to start? 10:00 p.m?

Yes, 10pm. Let's hope the weather cooperates!

Paul.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 19:54:16

Alright, 10:00 p.m. it is.

I provided a small weather forecast in the weather thread for Canada Day, not just for Montreal, but for Southern Quebec in general. Since the display is at 10:00 p.m., skies should be settled by that point in time, though there is a slight possibility (30-40%) for widely scattered showers in the afternoon and early evening. Instability should subside for Montreal through the day, but the risk lingers East and Northeast of here.

Either way, a very cool night for Canada Day. More details in the weather thread.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:08:48

Trav, thanks for your personalized weather forecast.

For anyone who wants to hear the music for the display tonight, it can be downloaded here: http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/Downloads/KnowltonCanadaDay2010_10m5 0s.mp3

Paul.

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 09:12:46

Some setup photos of yesterday's display - more to follow in the next couple days: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2066171&id=1384413074&l=0dc568fe 89

Paul.

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 10:13:12

My review (with setup/display pictures) is online : Canada Day in Knowlton.

In summary : I criticize the show a lot and take the concept down in flames. No, just kidding, I praise the truly incredible work done by Paul and his crew. I've been left speechless at numerous times. The pace was very good, even with some soundtrack problems that were caused by a very sensitive CD player.

Thanks Paul for creating such a good show ! The simulated olympic rings and you acting as the torch bearer was really funny and creative !

Looking forward the 2011 Canada Day display !

STL

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:08:04

Thank you for providing those setup photos, Paul, as well as you, STL. Your review and corresponding photos were also quite interesting, STL - I wish I could have been there! Fortunately, I saw a nice display close to home in the West Island, but it obviously wasn't anything near what was seen there or in Ottawa.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 07:06:15

Thanks, STL, for allowing me to use some of your great pictures for my facebook album, both of the setup and the display itself, I sincerely appreciate you coming out to watch and document the show. Thanks for your review too!

Paul

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025