Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Any predictions for the 2011 season?
Last poster Message

Posted: Sep 2, 2010 13:20:11   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

As it is now September and the fireworks competition has closed since nearly a month's time, I thought it would be interesting for us to post any predictions in mind with respect to the 2011 edition of Montreal fireworks. Which countries do you anticipate will compete, and what will be the representing companies? What sort of themes do you hope to see used as part of the overall design of some of the displays?

I haven't yet come up with a listing myself, but I will be giving it some good thought over the next little while. I suspect that the "one display per week" employed setup for both this year and last year will continue to be enforced for next year with a full schedule of 10 displays (hopefully with nine entrants), although it is difficult to say as to whether or not any special displays will exist (i.e. tributes or opening shows). As far as the countries/companies are concerned, for the moment I just hope that IPON SRL will return in 2011, assuming of course that Italy is a part of the entrants. Fairly certain that USA and Canada (perhaps Royal Pirotechnie) will be there, and back to back. I also very much would love and appreciate seeing the return of a formal 30-minute closing display by Panzera WITH the awards ceremony taking place prior to that - that's the tradition that grew on us over the course of so, so many years and one that makes the most sense in delivering a memorable climax to a given season of the most prestigious fireworks competition in the world.

Other than that, late September-like weather is expected to settle in later this Labor Day weekend following in some cases a record breaking end to August and start to September in Eastern Canada with July conditions. With the exception of this past year (and 2001-2002), the last three weeks of September spanning to the end of March weather wise is typically for me, but at least September is still exhibiting signs of providing us with seasonal and pleasant weather in the long range. It also appears as if though a moderate-strong La Nina is eventually going to be in place for this Winter (the current mild La Nina fostering ideal conditions for Atlantic hurricanes), although this may have positive implications for Spring-Summer 2011 under the assumption that La Nina retains its gradual status by that point in time.

All that said, what are YOUR predictions and/or wishes for the 2011 competition?

Trav.

Posted: Sep 2, 2010 16:04:00

Hi Travis,

As much as I would like Royal to come back in 2011, I have to admit that I'd seriously doubt that. Having won Gold twice, I don't see the hurry for them to take the risk to go home with a lesser prize (just see Dominique Brézac's reaction at the Awards Ceremony) in such a short amount of time.

It would be quite the time though for B.E.M. to come back, as the Feu des Étoiles, if presented again (what am I saying ? of course Six Flags won't spit on the occasion to fill the grandstands once again !), will effectively prevent Fiatlux/Ampleman to participate in the competition. In fact, it would be quite unrealistic for them (and by 'them' I really mean Éric Cardinal) to come up with two 30-minutes concepts to shoot a few weeks from each other.

Therefore, I predict that B.E.M. will certainly make a come-back. Maybe will FAE be there instead, but being that the Grand Feu Bleu in Laval was one of their biggest (if not the biggest) endeavour they did so far, I don't think that we will see them in La Ronde so rapidly. Jean-Sébastien Gagné, FAE's designer, is quite skilled I must say, but I'm not sure if he's up to the challenge just yet. I for one would like to see an entry from FAE, but I'd prefer them to make bigger shows before they attempt a participation in Montreal instead of rushing things.

Maybe will Garden City make their return in 2011, but as they are still riding on the Aurora theme in the Sherbrooke competition (for which they barely lost the first place this year to Archangel Fireworks' Diamonds Are Forever), I'm not envisioning that they'll prepare a new concept from scratch in such a short timeframe. One must remember that Yanick Roy's Voilà reused successful parts from displays he did between 2003 and 2009.

As for the other countries, I hope that Spain (with Caballer, maybe ?) will make a return for the next edition. I've heard that you guys (Saluteness, especially) really hope that IPON return as well, but I don't know them much, so I can't make a prediction. I therefore wish for you that they're indeed part of the 2011 line-up.

Does Eric Tucker now only works for Disney, or is PPA still active ? As he won Gold 4 times, I think that his return would now be appropriate, if only to defend his title against aspiring designers. For instance, a duel between Yanick Roy and Eric Tucker would be both incredible and heart-breaking when it comes to the Awards Ceremony. Someday, maybe !

As for the Feu des Étoiles, the next logical 'stars' to pay a tribute to would be Elvis (already done, but you never know), The Beatles (risky), Madonna (if they did Celine Dion, why not Madonna !) or, locally, Beau Dommage, Gilles Vigneault or maybe Robert Charlebois.

I for one would go ape if they end up paying a tribute to Daniel Bélanger, but the chances are quite slim ! A fireworks on Beau Dommage music would also be great, as they have a diverse range of emotions and styles to pick from, and also they really fit well when it comes to the link between Montreal and the fireworks, as they describe the city and Quebec in general in a lot of their songs.

Well, "que sera, sera/whatever will be, will be" ! I'm really looking forwards the next season, and the Feu sur Glace line-up as well, as it seems that there might be six displays instead of four (not official at this point).

Posted: Sep 3, 2010 09:42:03

i love predictions time! here are my country/company predictons for 2011!

1. Czech Republic - Flash barrandov - its about time they come back! they had a really good show in cannes this year.
2. France - Prestatech Artifice - I hope that they come back and show montreal a much better show!
3. Italy - Vaccalluzzo - they should join this competition! Although ipon's chances of getting in is a bit high since they just joined the hannover fireworks competition this year!
4. China - Panda Fireworks - I saw in their website that they visited the site this year so hopefully they are able to join! They are really good too!
5. Japan - Tamaya Arts Hanabi - A really good team that has the best nautical effects ive seen!
6. Canada - Archangel Fireworks - I've seen some of their shows they were good!
7. U.S.A. - Pyrospectaculars by souza - would love to see them compete again!
8. Spain - Ricasa - I always wish for them to join every year!
9. U.K. - Jubilee Fireworks - Would love to see them have a show in montreal!
10. Portugal - Luso Pirotecnia - who wouldnt like them back?

Hopefully there would be more shows like GFF's, FSC's, and Brezac's next year!

Vander

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 00:24:56

Hi STL,

Those were some interesting company predictions, particularly with regards to Canada. I suppose that my choice for Royal Pyrotechnie to return for 2011 was merely wishful thinking on my part, but I would really love to see their participation again in the near future at Montreal. Ampleman making an appearance for Canada wouldn't be too bad, though only if it is a display like what we had seen in 2002!

I hope that Spain (with Caballer, maybe ?) will make a return for the next edition.

I'm a big Spain fan when it comes to Montreal fireworks! I do hope for Vicente Caballer to be the representing firm should Spain be a part of the competitors. I also hope for IPON SRL's (yes, we often exchange thoughts about this firm) return next year as it will be seven years since their last participation. However, it would seem that Italy appears every second year in the recent past as compared to the nearly year by year basis seen in the years leading up to 2004, so we may not see them altogether next year (that pattern could very well break, of course ).

I personally don't mind seeing another tribute to Elvis Presley, although I still want to see a display dedicated to Michael Jackson, too (might be a little challenging, though).

...and the Feu sur Glace line-up as well, as it seems that there might be six displays instead of four (not official at this point).

I will probably attend a few of those displays, providing that temperatures aren't bone-chilling!

Hi Vander,

You have some neat predictions as well! If Spain competes, I, too, would love to see Ricasa's participation. It's interesting that you once again have "Vaccalluzo" as the representing company for Italy. Though I am not familiar with them, I would love to see their performances sometime in Montreal given your feedback! And I agree with you about Portugal!

Hopefully there would be more shows like GFF's, FSC's, and Brezac's next year!

Ideally.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 04:31:40   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

it really will be interesting if vaccalluzzo gets to join the competition.. the best companies in italy are the unknown ones (internationally) this is the same with spain, china, and japan As for spain, i also would like to see vicente caballer join too but nowadays their pyromusicals seem to be very robotic specially with their ground fireworks o.O not that's bad

a bit off topic but here's for the ipon fans. the latest participation of ipon in a competition unfortunately no salutes since salutes are not allowed in this competition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ26eXGmfSk

Vander

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 10:53:27

Hi Vander,

Thank you for sharing that video of IPON's latest performance - it was very nice to get a glimpse of their displays after such an elongated period of time elapsed. It would seem that they haven't changed too much in the way their displays are crafted, especially with the plentiful shell of shells and multi-breakers incorporated. Although that competition doesn't permit it, it feels a little paradoxical seeing an IPON-style display devoid of salutes!

Hope everyone will have an enjoyable Labor Day weekend. Looking at the weather models, I'm thinking that we could be potentially seeing the mid to even high 20s C (with high humidity) by the time we arrive at Tuesday into Wednesday due to a brief nice returning Southwesterly flow. In the meantime, very gusty at times today.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 5, 2010 17:42:02

Hi everyone

i've really like that Dragon fireworks will be in 2011, here a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyP-kdW_igI

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 03:10:08   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

that would be awesome if dragon can compete in montreal! i'm sure that they're capable of not just competing but also winning in montreal i guess only time could tell when they will be joining

vander

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 22:06:20

I've spoken with Benito last October. He told me that IPON was in the process of nearly being completed. Seeing after watching Vander's video, I'm sure Benito its ready. Because he told me he is hoping to be selected this coming year of the competition. So let's keep our fingers crossed...however, I'd love to as well see Vaccalluzzo come to La Ronde. But let's just wait..

Pat

Posted: Sep 16, 2010 12:18:27

Another Pyrotechnics:

France: Jacques Couturier, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGoIiun04s.

Portugal: Luso Pirotecnia , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9II_FhzqqE

Posted: Sep 18, 2010 21:09:00

Would love to see this guys in montreal some day!

Japan: Beniya Aoki http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNipuBQ590Q

Posted: Nov 1, 2010 01:59:25

My predictions for 2011:

France: Groupe F
Spain: Vicente Caballer
China: Sunny International
Italy: I.P.O.N SRL (hopefully, they will finally appear)
Germany: Weco Pyrotechnische Fabrik
Argentina: Cienfuegos
Canada: BEM Feux d'artifice
United States: Atlas PyroVision Productions
Australia: Howard & Sons Pirotechnics
Awards Ceremony + mini display

These are my general predictions (and, to some extent, my wishes) for the 2011 fireworks season. I believe that the competition will withold the "one display per week" scenario along with a listing of 10 displays, as far as the organizational component is concerned. I also think that the U.S and Canada will be back to back. Given the new trend with regards to closing displays, I have a feeling that there again wouldn't be a Panzera display concluding the competition. With luck, however, we will see a return of a rightful 30 minute closing along with the awards ceremony taking place beforehand. I don't think that there will be an opening.

There is a fair likelihood that Switzerland (Bugano) could be among the competitors as well as England (perhaps Pains Fireworks or Kimbolton Fireworks as the representing firm) and possibly even Japan (Marutamaya Co. Ltd). I would also personally love to see a return of Grupo Luso Pirotechnia, assuming that Portugal appears - their 2008 display was so radiant and mesmerizing. Of couse, it would be a great pleasure to see a graceful return of I.P.O.N SRL (considering the absence of what is going to be seven years since their last participation) and Vicente Caballer, should either Italy or Spain (or both) return. Ampleman could also be representing Canada.

The only aspect that we cannot predict (at this point in time at least) is what the prevailing weather conditions will be for each display! I am hopeful, though, that each of the participants are welcomed by ideal weather for their performances and for the associated preparations.

I'm sure that the schedule is going to be released in about a month's time. Does anyone else have any personal predictions and/or wishes that they'd like to share?

Trav.

Posted: Nov 1, 2010 15:59:11

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 03:17:24   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

@diego Thank you for your support for dragon fireworks! I choreographed the first song in that show and my friend don did the other songs I hope you enjoyed it!

Btw other than panda fireworks i would love jinsheng fireworks to join montreal next year! [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uogacpmvx4&feature=mfu_in_order&p laynext=1&videos=TUNEvxh0CH8
]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uogacpmvx4&feature=mfu_in_order&playn e xt=1&videos=TUNEvxh0CH8
[/url]

in those videos by intently fireworks the juzi show no. 8 was sunny's show. Just for comparison these videos show how sunny fireworks ranks up against their chinese competitors and most of you might be surprised that they are quite an average company in china based on the shows in that competition

Vander

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 01:06:10   Edited by: Smoke

It would also be neat if JNS Pyrotechniek of Holland could return to compete next year - their displays always did seem well devised in terms of the organizational and creativity components, notably with respect to the interesting transitions in tempo from segment to segment.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 11:54:09

It would also be neat if JNS Pyrotechniek of Holland could return

Neat, but impossible. The company closed down in 2004 - their entry in the special 20th edition of the competition was their last big bang.

As for companies representing Canada, I would be very surprised if it's Ampleman as Ampleman is part of Groupe FiatLux now and had displays this year and last year (albeit out of competition). I wouldn't be surprised if we have the return of Garden State or another non-Quebec company like Archangel (who have won several other competitions recently).

As for schedule, I have a feeling we may return to a more traditional one with the final display being in July. There was some talk of this at the closing ceremony this year, but I don't know more than that.

For other competitors, I know that Foti would like to return, as would Atlas Pyrovision Productions - I'd certainly be happy if either/both of these were to come back. I have a feeling, as well, that we'll have a new Chinese competitor too - if visits to the firing ramps are anything to go by I don't think Weco would compete again - they've won everything - though it could be possible to have them do a closing show I think. For Italy, I'd love to see Vaccalluzzo compete.

Finally, next year, I doubt I will be able to attend all the displays due to some family commitments in June so I'll have to find someone to help with the team interviews

Paul.

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 19:30:27

Finally, next year, I doubt I will be able to attend all the displays due to some family commitments in June so I'll have to find someone to help with the team interviews

Don't you have Mylène at hand for that already ?

As for schedule, I have a feeling we may return to a more traditional one with the final display being in July. There was some talk of this at the closing ceremony this year, but I don't know more than that.

I have mixed feelings about that. I personnally like it when the fireworks season lasts from June to August, like the two previous years.

Isn't that easier on La Ronde's team, also ?

I know they almost always did 2 displays per week and have a technique down to be able to manage that, but by having only one, they don't have to switch all the time between their workshop on the Ile Notre-Dame and the one close to the firing ramps.

Moreso, they wouldn't have the opportunity to postpone a display should the weather be inclement if the 2 displays per week formula is back, as the other team *is* waiting for the firing ramps to be cleared for them to start working. I know that they always fired no matter what, but now at least they have the occasion to postpone if the wind is that much threatening.

Well, we'll see soon enough !

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 10:38:18   Edited by: fredbastien

I have mixed feelings about that. I personnally like it when the fireworks season lasts from June to August, like the two previous years.

Isn't that easier on La Ronde's team, also ?

I know they almost always did 2 displays per week and have a technique down to be able to manage that, but by having only one, they don't have to switch all the time between their workshop on the Ile Notre-Dame and the one close to the firing ramps.

Moreso, they wouldn't have the opportunity to postpone a display should the weather be inclement if the 2 displays per week formula is back, as the other team *is* waiting for the firing ramps to be cleared for them to start working. I know that they always fired no matter what, but now at least they have the occasion to postpone if the wind is that much threatening.

The current schedule is clearer and easier to communicate than the previous ones. However, I would like to resume to the traditional schedule with two displays per week in late July/early August. In addition to reduce the frequency of my roundtrips between Quebec City and Montreal, it would leave more room (more weekends) to the fanatics for other activities than fireworks. It's not easy to deal with a stretched schedule keeping us busy every Saturday nights for the whole season.

The "opportunity" to postpone a display is clearly not an idea from La Ronde's people, but one from the Six Flags' headquarter. Such scenario is the last thing La Ronde (and its public service partners) wants to deal with because it would be an organizational nightmare.

This policy didn't prevent the launch of Pyromagic's display in 2009, as we experienced rain and thunderstorm in background. One person from Six Flags' corporate was at La Ronde that night. Following the show, I asked one of La Ronde's directors about this issue, and the person told me, with a large smile: "We did it!"

Fred

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 13:09:10

Neat, but impossible. The company closed down in 2004 - their entry in the special 20th edition of the competition was their last big bang.

Yes, I now remember you stating this previously to Sean (Firemaster) a couple of years ago. It's a pity, though, as JNS Pirotechniek was a wonderful addition to the competition.

I must concur. Having a "once a week" schedule structure allows the competition to span as far as mid-August (and therefore expanding the overall duration) while slightly cutting the wait between seasons. Furthermore, I think this strategy works reasonably well as it, assuming generally suitable weather conditions, enhances attendance at La Ronde (and elsewhere around the park) since all of the displays conveniently take place on Saturdays - this would offer an increased flexibility for people to attend (including those from out of town), especially considering the added incentive of other Summer festivities that would be taking place in conjunction with fireworks days.

To manage a such scenario is the last one La Ronde (and its public service partners) wants to deal with because it would be an organizational nightmare.

This policy didn't prevent the launch of Pyromagic's display in 2009, as we experienced rain and thunderstorm in background.

It is still surprising, to me at least, that that display was permitted to go on with a strong thunderstorm taking place, including right over the firing site. It's not the first time that has happened either.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 13:26:30

It is still surprising, to me at least, that that display was permitted to go on with a strong thunderstorm taking place, including right over the firing site. It's not the first time that has happened either.

Surprising, maybe; spectacular, for sure!

I don't know how over the firing site the thunderstorm actually was, but it looked more in background than above the display. One more issue was wind speed: crew members were informed at 9:45pm that wind speed was going to increase 45 minutes later. That led to the decision to start the show at 9:55pm. It ended at 10:25pm and the wind speed actually increased about 5 minutes later!

Fred

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 16:50:26   Edited by: Smoke

Surprising, maybe; spectacular, for sure!

Absolutely. Bob Burch's fireworks-lightning photographs certainly do that sort of spectacle duo justice. The fairly recent video I posted in the "Thunderstorm vs. Fireworks" thread was also a prime example of that spectacular duality.

I don't know how over the firing site the thunderstorm actually was, but it looked more in background than above the display.

Yes, most of the lightning discharges could be seen vividly in the background to the West and Southwest, but there were later some that had occurred close enough to the firing site to be a cause for concern given the high luminosity associated with a few of the flashes, namely mid-way into the show and onwards.

I guess what I'm addressing are the lightning safety protocols, especially when taking into account a massive outdoor event. Recall that during this Summer, on July 17th, an elderly couple was struck by lightning on Notre-Dame street and were dealt serious internal and external burn injuries from the CG (cloud to ground) strike. Thankfully, they both survived!

And you're right, the winds were an additional issue on and off that day due to the intense circulatory flow of the low pressure system, but luckily they had only picked up shortly after the conclusion of the display.

Edit: Speaking of weather, I'm sincerely hoping that my predictions (please refer to the weather thread for details) are to a large extent incorrect about this coming Winter! And don't forget to set your clocks one hour back tonight before you go to bed as we now are reverting to standard time until the second week of March.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 18:27:34

i just saw on facebook that howards and sons will be joining next year!

vander

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 10:25:36

I confirm that clicking on Facebook icone from Howards & Sons' website, we get the following message on their "wall":

Howard & Sons Pyrotechnics after the gold medal performance at the recent Delhi CWG ceremonies, Howard & Sons are going for Gold at the upcoming Oman World Fireworks Championships and will be going for Gold at the Compétition Internationale d'Art Pyrotechnique de Montréal in 2011. These are the biggest and toughest pyromusical competitions in th...e world.

The crew is doing its morning Yoga, midday Workouts and night time testing in preparations for the competitions.

This message was posted on their wall yesterday.

I don't remember any contestant who has released this kind of information before the organizers. I'm not sure it's the right way to use Web 2.0...

Fred

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 11:08:36

i just saw on facebook that howards and sons will be joining next year!

If that is in fact the case, then it is with a fair possibility that at least one of my predictions, as far as countries and firms are concerned, is correct!

Thank you for the posting, Vander. If you, or anyone, see or hear anything more, please do not hesitate to share!

Compétition Internationale d'Art Pyrotechnique de Montréal.

What a catchy way to title our competition.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 08:20:51

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 21:13:29

Hi Ali,

Wow, we seem to have a similar mindset.

I, too, am a huge Spain fireworks fan, and as I had stated in my predictions, I would like to see Vicente Caballer return to compete as the representative firm for 2011. Of course, I (and others, I'm sure) would more than love to see the long-awaited IPON SRL for Italy. I also noticed the pattern of Italy's appearances in recent years, but, as you say, it is possible that that trend could be discontinued as of next year. And yes, I personally also want to see a tribute display to Michael Jackson, Montreal style!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 22:30:02

Travis,

Ali shares the same exact thoughts as you because he/she/it quoted your exact message. It may be a spam bot, as all of its 4 messages are random bits of previous posts in the topic.

STL

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 23:31:23   Edited by: Smoke

Ali shares the same exact thoughts as you because he/she/it quoted your exact message. It may be a spam bot, as all of its 4 messages are random bits of previous posts in the topic.

I was under the impression that something sounded odd! It looks like I was talking to myself by responding to that message.

Thanks for pointing that out, STL.

Edit: Yes, I now see all of the quotes from the previous messages put together into the post.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 1, 2010 11:30:14

I've deleted "Ali / Annabel" from the system now. It's constant battle to fight spammers!

Paul

Posted: Dec 1, 2010 11:30:20

I've deleted "Ali / Annabel" from the system now. It's constant battle to fight spammers!

Paul

Page loading time (sec.): 0.026