Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Merry Christmas (2012)!!!
Last poster Message

Posted: Dec 25, 2012 00:04:25

Just wanting to wish everyone a very safe, enjoyable and merry Christmas!

As was the case last year, it would seem that we are having a white Christmas this year, as the total snow depth is at least 2 cm. However, this will likely be the coldest (though not frigid) Christmas day since 2004, so be sure to dress warmly if heading out.

Happy holidays and merry Christmas!

Best wishes,

~Travis.~

Posted: Dec 27, 2012 12:46:50

Hope you're enjoying the storm today (2th Dec) Trav - quite a big one, though it still isn't beating 13th March 1993 as my favourite snowstorm since living in Montreal!

Now the countdown to the participants being released for 2013 begins

Paul.

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 13:59:51   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Paul,

Indeed, yesterday's storm was quite an experience and, arguably, became a historical snowstorm for the Montreal area, producing the most snowfall to occur in a "single day" in recorded history. This surpasses the previous record held by the March 4th, 1971 single-day snowfall (43.2 cm), and that of December 27th, 1969 (37.8 cm).

That being said, it has yet to be seen where the December 27th, 2012 storm will be placed in terms of "total snowfall" accumulated by a "single storm". At this point in time, it awaits either the second or third rank. The storm that took place at the end of December 1969 was an almost two-day event (Boxing Day to the early-afternoon of December 28th) that led to nearly 59 cm of snow by the time the storm had departed. It is also still a gamble as to whether the December 27th, 2012 storm will exceed the total snowfall produced by the March 3rd-4th, 1971 storm (47 cm), though, in either case, it will surely be VERY close.

As for the March 13th-14th, 1993 snowstorm, yes, that was a monstrous weather system, with dynamically similar characteristics to yesterday's system, just with a different storm track. As a result, this storm, too, certainly merits a position as one of the top Montreal snowstorms. I recall that storm (a Nor'easter) being particularly notorious for its powerful ENE to NE winds, generating hurricane-like conditions, and lashing blowing and drifting snow, which had created impenetrable snow drifts and snowbanks. Although the total snowfall was slightly less than what yesterday's storm produced, it remains memorable as a vicious storm across E. Canada, as well as for much of the Atlantic Seaboard.

The top snowstorms recorded in Montreal were (in chronological order):

December 26th-28th, 1969
March 3rd-4th, 1971
March 13th-14th, 1993
December 16th, 2005
March 7th-9th, 2008
December 27th-28th, 2012

Here is some footage that I took throughout the day yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofPtKySBs4&list=UUMxgxRnPFVpiSIOTv2Fzx GA&index=1

And a photograph that I had taken after the heavy snowfall began to subside late in the afternoon. This photo was used as part of The Weather Network's headlines covering this storm:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/Buriedcar-December27th20 12_zpsd426e978.jpg

Details concerning the storm are provided in the video description.

And, yes, I am also very much looking forward to seeing which teams will be expected to participate in the 2013 edition of Montreal fireworks. I need just about anything to look forward to in order to overcome the month of January!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.027