Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Smokeless fireworks.
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 5, 2006 16:00:11   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

I think this concept is effective because it allows for better enjoyment of any fireworks display since, without smoke, weather cooperation is not an issue, especially with our reliance on wind directions and speeds as well as with concerns of stagnant humidity.

Furthermore, this idea would answer to the environmental friendly questions that have been addressed for some time now, particularly in regards to some of the issues that have been brought up in respect to our fireworks here in Montreal.

I've been proposing this concept for some time now and I truly think it would be magnificent and beneficial if implemented in the near future, especially in our competition.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 31, 2007 16:56:38   Edited by: Smoke

Sooooooooo....Any thoughts on this? Although I posted this thread nearly a year ago, I decided to bring it back up for discussion and information.

As a student of environment, I find the subject most comprehensive and interesting.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 31, 2007 21:26:28

Smokeless fireworks are possible and are in regular use - but they are normally used in an interior setting (such as a stadium or concert hall). They are much more expensive than regular smoky fireworks but, just because they are smokeless, doesn't make them necessarily environmentally friendly. Much of the smoke that is seen in regular fireworks is fairly innocuous. There are some interesting compounds used to make smokeless fireworks, some of which allow particularly pure colours (mainly due to the lack of black body radiation - or much reduced compared to compounds which produce solid products of combustion). However, there are certain effects which are difficult to produce in a smokeless way - particularly anything that has any kind of tail (such as comets) - the tail being composed of burning particles of metal usually - which produce smoke since metal oxides are solid at normal air temperature. You're right though, it is a very interesting topic!

Paul.

Posted: Aug 1, 2007 00:29:43   Edited by: Smoke

Thanks a lot for the extensive information, Paul.

Is there any possibility that smokeless fireworks will be in use more frequently as part of the general realm of pyrotechnics down the line outside of interior settings? If so, this would allow for prices to drop overall since they can compete economically if, of course, assuming they do indeed become increasingly in demand at some point. In a display now, if some effects are difficult to be produced in this sense, it could still be used by conventional means while being intertwined with those that can be more easily produced in a smokeless way.

However, I'm more optimistic about it because its efficiency of fighting off adverse weather conditions, though I suspect that they may still be ruined in some sense with either elevated humidity or general precipitation. Wind is obviously still the main threat, though.

Nevertheless, I'd like to conduct additional research on it.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021