Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Questions
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 00:21:52

Hello Forum,

I'm in search of some information from anyone who is offering.

I am working to prepare an small and simple opening ceremonies for an event being held in my local town. All I am hoping to achieve is a few rings of controlled fire burning on a dirt arena floor. I am hoping to be able to ignite using wire and twelve volt power.

The only experience I have doing this involved Kerosene, being pored in the dirt shortly before ignition to create a flame about 20 cm. high. Does anybody recommend using a different fuel?

I am also looking for tips on how to use twelve volt power and wire to ignite the rings. I realize there is probably many ways to go about it, I'm open to any and all suggestions,

Thank-you in advance for any information,

Shaun

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 18:39:30   Edited by: fireworksforum

Shaun,

it sounds like what you're doing (if it's in Canada) requires a Pyrotechnics licence.

Take a look here: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms/explosif/edu/edu_pyroA_e.htm for more information. If you do what you're describing in a public arena without such a license you run all sorts of liability risks.

An alternative to kerosene may be to use flame effect simulators. These are usually nitrocellulose based and are available to the special FX community.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 18:58:06

Hello Paul,

Thank-you for the information, much appreciated.

I looked in to the information you provided and was disappointed to find out the course is only offered once a year, in the spring in my location. Would the course offered on the website you showed me be the only way of obtaining this license? Is obtaining this license the only way of having proper certification for working with basic pyro in Canada?

Thank-you for any information,

Shaun

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 19:11:31   Edited by: fireworksforum

Shaun,

the pyrotechnics courses are usually offered at the same time as the display fireworks courses. Depending where you are, this may, indeed, be only once a year. As far as I know, attending such a course is the only way to obtain the necessary license. As far as I understand, you will not be able to purchase the requisite special effects materials without such a license (and written permission from the AHJ who is responsible for the event (most often the local fire chief). Things are particularly strict these days following the tragic deaths in Rhode Island a few years ago where unlicensed people were using indoor special effects. If you have someone local who already has a license, that's the easiest way to get into the special effects business. It all seems like a pain if you only want to do one event - but if things go wrong be prepared to be sued for literally millions of dollars!

Regards,

Paul.

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 19:37:38

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll be putting that off for a year but it seems like the only way to go. I've always enjoyed opening ceremonies with Pyro and hope to get involved when I'm ready. Thanks again,

Shaun

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 19:52:17

Shaun,

sounds good! Perhaps you can come back here and post some pictures of your first event!

Regards,

Paul.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020