Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› If you had to estimate.....
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 15, 2007 15:04:40

Given all the circumstances we've covered, if you had to approximate (I know, it's hard to say), for how many more years will we be seeing the fireworks competition in Montreal?

As long as there is a sponsor, we should be alright, but it would be certainly nice if we could say that we're safe for the next 20 years or so.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 15, 2007 20:50:12

I hope that the competition endures at least until the planet overheats due to global warming and we have 24 hour firework, out-of-competition, displays. Crank up your cd player and it's the next best thing to a pyromusical competition.

Plus we wouldn't have to leave the West Island, Trav!

Posted: Aug 15, 2007 22:01:23

If you want to feel the full effects of global warming in a nation like this, better stick around for the next 20 years. We certainly didn't feel much of it these past two Summers, unfortunately. But yes, TRae, we wouldn't have to leave the West Island, if that's the case.

If the competition does indeed last for 20 more years, well, oh happy day.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 16, 2007 09:09:38

You know, I joked about it earlier, but in seriously considering Trav's question, I do see the fireworks competition staying here well into the foreseeable future.

Presently, the competition is experiencing a relative lull as we had one fewer display this season and apparently numbers at La Ronde aren't up to the hopes of some people. None of this is good news of course, but keep in mind the general mood surrounding the competition. Numbers, in terms of viewership around the city are, in my opinion, quite encouraging. People go well out of their way in large numbers to take in the displays but do not realize why they do so. It is with a certain passivity that the majority of the crowds on Notre Dame and the Jacques Cartier Bridge view the competition, however, if it were to be known that the competition was in any kind of jeopardy, I truly believe that the citizens of Montreal - aside from sponsors and the municipal government - would go to great lengths to rescue it.

Of course it comes down to La Ronde doing good business to keep the competition afloat, but as things stand, the competition is generating the park enough revenue to justify keeping it going. If La Ronde is forced to one year raise the red flag, I will only be one of many who respond.

I believe that the competition is in good hands.

Posted: Aug 19, 2007 17:14:31

As long as the competition itelf has a sponsor and is generating a decent flow of cash, regardless of a smaller amount of spectators, then there's no reason for it to be terminated in the near future.

My brother has a feeling it will end by 2010 due to environmental issues (blah), but I personally think the economic aspects in conjunction have more weight in this case.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.014