Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Pajama Fireworks.
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 15:30:01   Edited by: Admin

Hey guys,

Does anyone know when this is taking place this weekend? I'm also guessing that the displays will be commencing by 9:00 p.m since the diurnal part of the day has shrunk a good deal already, and that it's already dark well before 8:30.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 20:20:46

According to the La Ronde website, there will be fireworks closing the pyjama day celebration on Sunday 2nd September. It doesn't give any more details than that.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 11:15:00

Thanks for that, Paul. I hope to be able to attend this year to see the fireworks, especially since Summer is soon coming to a close.

Oh yes, I hope you guys saw the lunar eclipse this morning! It was simply amazing when the moon passed into its partial to its total lunar eclipse stages as it went through the Preumbra and umbra phases respectively. As it was in the Umbra (the total eclipse when the moon was engulfed in the Earth's shadow), it gave off a strong orange/rusty color at around 6:00 a.m this morning. The entire thing lasted nearly 4 hours, but the weather was perfect since there was, as expected, completely clear skies.

In any case, if you missed this one, the next eclipse is sometime in February 2008.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 12:29:27

Hmmmm... Sunday the 2nd, two days before school starts. It's hard to imagine a better way to close out the summer. I think a day at the film festival followed by fireworks from Notre Dame and De Lormier - complete with cars whizzing by - sounds like fun!

Does anybody know if historically this pyjama party day always closes with fireworks? Or what calibre of display to expect?

And Trav, I woke up early to catch the begining of the eclipse and then, getting the morning paper - which hates our Fireworks Festival by the way - I saw that orange hue you're talking about... "simply amazing" where the exact words that came to mind also.

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 13:15:33

I've seen a few Pajama day fireworks and they've been pretty good. The quality of the display is related to the number of technical problems during that year's competition season since anything that wasn't fired during the competition (for whatever reason) gets fired at the Pajama day show. It's always fun watching the show and seeing if you can recognize which country the products came from.

Without going into too many details, there should be plenty of shells in this year's display

In the past I've watched it from La Ronde, but it feels strange without the usual ceremony and atmosphere. This year, I'm going to watch from Notre Dame and de Lorimier - just like in the "old days" when I first started attending the fireworks competition. Perhaps we should have a montreal-fireworks.com forum "get together".

Paul.

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 15:00:27

Paul, the idea for a get-together may be a stroke of brilliance - I'm certainly up for it.

Reading between the lines though, it seems as though Trav will be watching the display from inside the park.

And this idea of using the "leftovers" has me very excited - I can't wait. I guess we're in for a very Mexican/Canadian/Zeus themed display!

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 15:07:05

TRae,

My thoughts exactly-it would be nice to see a final display before school starts on the 4th, although I'm not really looking forward in going back. If I do go to the display, it will be where both you and Paul will be viewing, but seeing the traffic still open while a display is going on is certainly strange indeed! To answer your question, since I've been a member of this forum (since Summer 2003), there has always been a fireworks display to close the pajama day. I also think that everyone gets a 50% discount if we wear our pajamas at the park.

As for the eclipse, just before 6:00 a.m, I also managed to additionally see patches of a redish tinge as the orange color was developing, which was both freaky and astonishing at the same time! Glad to know you managed to see the effect as well. I was sleeping on and off due to the excitement I was feeling in seeing it. And speaking of the papers, I did not even check to see if there were photos there!

Paul,

I can imagine the feeling of "strangeness" during the Pajama Fireworks display compared to the actual atmosphere of the competition itself. I've never actually attended the display in the past, but I'd like to make an effort this year. Indeed, I'd like to also have a nice get-together with the members of this site and meet you all. I know you had met Enkil last year on Notre-Dame, Paul.

As for the material used, I know that Italy of last year alone had quite a bit of material left over, along with others. I wonder how that of this year's left overs compare.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 29, 2007 14:32:39

BAD NEWS

For two years in a row, the Pyjama Firework is cancelled. I don't have more information than this page of the website:

http://laronde.sixflags.com/larondefr/events.asp

Fred

Posted: Aug 29, 2007 15:46:34

That sums up my feelings. Oh well.

Paul, can you use your connections to get a hold of the leftovers yourself, that expensive fireworks simulation computer program I've heard about, and a launching site?

Too much to ask?

Posted: Aug 29, 2007 17:03:54

This sucks....it really sucks! Bah, just to correct, TRae, there were indeed no pajama fireworks last year-instead we had something later in October for some occasion (maybe that will be the case this year as well). But the years before, there was a display during the Labor Day weekend (again, I'm not sure if there were any prior to 2003).

Oh well, it would have been nice if it wasn't canceled this year again.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 30, 2007 16:45:10

Yes, it's sad the display was canceled - especially as the weather should be good this weekend.

Not to worry, though, there will be at least two nights of displays at La Ronde in October for the 10th International Symposium on Fireworks being held there from 15-19th. Here's the link to the schedule of events: http://www.fireworksfx.com/Isfireworks/Schedule.htm

So far there's displays scheduled for the 17th and 19th - 4 Italian companies and one Spanish!

Paul.

Posted: Aug 30, 2007 19:43:30

Wow, Paul. That's really amazing!

Just the thought that these displays will be held at La Ronde makes me want to be there.

How long is each display?

Hopefully, the Pyjama fireworks is postponed till October or something like last year lol. I still remember that night, the weather was horrible!!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2007 15:20:49

Yessssssss!

Following this forum the past week has been like riding the Goliath... there have been a lot of ups and downs, and at a certain point I felt ill, but by the end (of the ride and the week) I am really excited. Now, losing the pyjama display is not such a bitter reality.

I quickly looked at the International Symposium on Fireworks website but didn't really get a sense of what it's all about.

Paul, is this something that enthusiasts, along with professionals in the pyrotechnic domain - whom I believe the Symposium is directed toward - are permitted to attend? Can I go to this "Trade Show"?

There probably ought to be a new topic/thread dedicated to the Symposium... which I find a lovely word, even outside of a fireworks context!

Thanks so much for the news Paul!!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2007 22:58:08

wow your very lucky to have the symposium there!! there ae some good companies in the list of presenter's like caballer, la rosa, and pirico!

Posted: Sep 1, 2007 00:03:07

Paul, any idea if these shows will be shot as full fledged pyromusicals? Traditional? Or maybe more in the demo style?
This might be an event not to be missed, wonder how I can get in on it.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021