Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› HSBC Celebration of Light (Vancouver)
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 16:21:34

Well since I moved to Vancouver last week I was able to attend all 3 shows of the competeting countries from the Celebration of Light. I thought I would give you guys a little review of what I saw.

First off, the Celebration is the largest off shore fireworks competition in the world. The shows take place on a huge barge that is floating in English Bay. The size of the barge is no where near as big an area as what La ronde has but the teams are able to put on good shows still. Each show lasts about 25 mins.

First up was Canada (Archangel Fireworks Inc)
Theme (Attack)
The theme was a good choice I just think they failed to really delivery on it. They used soundtracks from movies such as Godzilla. Their biggest mistake in my opinion was that for the first 3 mins of the show, they only had 2 red flares going on the barge while a narative was going on. To use up that much time for that caused an incredibly boring start to the show, and truly it did not get much better from there. The one thing I will give them is that their precision was the best of the competition. Everything was synchronized so well. The finale was the only part of the show that was interesting for me, it was nothing you would ever see in Montreal as it was so small and short. Considering this team won the Celebration last year, I think they really went in the wrong direction this year.

Next up was USA (Western Enterprises, Incorporated)
Theme (Love Will Change the World)
This display was a typical huge USA display, but at the same time was beautiful to watch. They used effects I have never seen before such as shells that changed to 5 different colors after exploding. It was like watching a rainbow come at you one color at a time. They really did connect with the theme quite well, as I actually felt that love could change the world while watching it, cheesy I know but it worked. They had at least 3 mini finales during the display and to be honest one of those mini finales used more shells then all of Canada's display in total. It actually fooled a lot of people in thinking it was the end because some of the poeple were packing up to leave lol. The actual finale was pretty big, had a descent faux finale also. Over all a pretty good display.

Lastly was China (Pyromagic Productions Ltd)
Theme (Power of the Dream)
This was the best show of the event, it was huge. I also got to watch this display on a boat so that made for an incredible experience. This show had Montreal quality written all over it. It was well designed, not repetitive, extremely colorful and just fun to watch. The finale was better then most of the Montreal finales that I have seen this year. China did a really good faux finale also. I think you guys would have loved it.

So overall, I think China will win, but the USA will be in there with a shot seeing as their display was also very good.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 16:34:03

Thanks Canuck, that was a great read.

I'm glad to know that Vancouver's competition, although not on par with Montreal's, can provide as a reasonable substitute for you.

Funny enough, I think Pyrotechnico may have used a few shells whose tail changed colours in its ascent (much like the Japanese-style ones used by Australia but with a much larger tail - less distinguished than the ones used by Australia) - though that isn't what you described above... kinda the reverse. Anybody else notice these last night? I can't remember what segment they were used in...

Keep enjoying yourself out west Canuck.

Tyler

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 16:39:49   Edited by: fireworksforum

Funny enough, I think Pyrotechnico may have used a few shells whose tail changed colours in its ascent (much like the Japanese-style ones used by Australia but with a much larger tail - less distinguished than the ones used by Australia) - though that isn't what you described above... kinda the reverse. Anybody else notice these last night? I can't remember what segment they were used in...

I noticed these. They were from the same manufacturer in both the Australian and US displays: Yung Feng.

Paul.

p.s. thanks also, Canuck, for your Vancouver report - glad there's pyro out there to make you feel less homesick

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 00:25:17   Edited by: TRae

Paul: I noticed these

Figures. We can't put anything past you Paul

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 01:27:14   Edited by: Admin

Hey Guys..

I wanted to share the full videos from this competition that i found in the internet...

Canada>http://blip.tv/file/1111188
U.S.A > http://blip.tv/file/1117999
China>http://thedarkerside.blip.tv/file/1131458

These videos are in high quality.. You can download them and each video is about 500 mb It includes the playing of the national anthem and the countdown.. I thought Canada's display was great but the red flares at the beginning was just too long but they looked like ambulance lights ehehe... The first parts were also nice.. I thought the theme was really well shown in the part with horsetails to photoflashes.

U.S.A's display had a really great finale.. form top to bottom it was filled.. Canuck, I also noticed this multi color changing mines and candles, i thought they were really great.. Their candles just went up so high reaching some of the large shells..

I havent watched chinas yet

Vander

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 18:58:11

Thx for the videos they were really great to watch again. The multi changing mines and candles i was talking about happens at about the 6 min mark in the USA video. They go from purple to green to yellow to red.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.012