Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Weather Cooperation (or not) for Summer 2009.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 01:47:16

Most of what is stated in my previous post still provides a good overview for this coming evening's forecast, but I'd like to give a few updates.

Winds are still behaving mainly in a Southwesterly fashion, but during the late afternoon-early evening period, they tend to be in the form of West Southwesterlies. I'm thinking, though, that these will gradually give way to true SW winds by the time the fireworks are set to begin. Either way, you'll likely notice the smoke passing off to your right for viewers at La Ronde, but, again, smoke would be moving towards the extreme right end, or towards the right part of the seating area (if mostly WSW winds), in general. Both TWN and EC are currently forecasting Westerlies during the evening, but I suspect that they will change that. We all seem to agree about the wind speeds for the evening: 18-23 km/h (occasional breezes closer to the 30 km/h mark). Winds will likely pick up this afternoon following much more light conditions during the first half of the day.

Precipitation wise, again, steadier rains should give way to more on and off showers for the afternoon and into the evening, though I think the low should depart by around 9:00 p.m. towards the Northeast. Thundershowers/t-storms (non-severe) are possible in the afternoon, especially if the sun gets some opportunity to shine through. I don't anticipate storms developing to anything near what we saw last Saturday, however - there's simply not that much energy to work with, and moisture levels aren't as high.

That's what the atmosphere should mostly have in store for us. In summary, we're looking at a breezy evening with gusts at no more than 35 km/h in the afternoon hours. Widely scattered showers and thundershowers are possible in the afternoon, but things should generally improve as we head into the late evening. During the very early evening, showers and t-showers are still possible, but at a lower chance of about 30-40%. Temperatures should hold at about 17-18 C, but it may feel a touch cooler due to the overall breezy winds. Moisture levels are actually dropping to moderate levels, so it wouldn't feel too humid.

I'd still like keep tabs on the winds, particularly direction, just to be on the safe side. If necessary, I'll post an additional update. If not, then breezy WSW to Southwesterlies will dominate the evening. If things play out the way I think they will, we should be in for an alright late evening.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 21:18:22

Good evening,

It would seem that we have an interesting weather setup for Canada's display. I'm currently keeping a sharp eye on a strong low pressure system coming in from Western Canada (will eventually become merged), perhaps in time for Saturday night. At this point in time, most of the models are indicating that the showers and storms could arrive overnight Saturday under current speed. The majority of the day Saturday should be following a mix of sun and cloud, with warm temperatures and relatively high humidity along with the chance for convective showers in the early morning thanks to a trough, which may also bring some good storm activity Friday (tomorrow) night. With the system moving in, its approaching warm front will actually keep temperatures very warm into the evening hours (as much as 22-23 C) and begin to boost moisture levels a touch further as well. Towering cumulus clouds will become more numerous in the late afternoon-early evening due to an increasingly unstable atmosphere, so it is a possibility that convective showers and storms could develop in Southern Quebec (I'll keep tabs on the strength of these storms if the likelihood increases of them coming through by the evening). We're essentially dealing with two systems - one departing early, and the other possibly coming in much later Saturday (timing is key here). It's a very buoyant kind of atmosphere on Saturday, much like it has been this past week.

I don't think folks at La Ronde will have to worry about smoke flying towards them this time. Instead, with the position of the low by that time, people viewing on Notre-Dame, possibly De Lorimier and the Eastern portion of the bridge may have to contend with it, which is why I'm considering to relocate myself to avoid poor viewing conditions. Wind tendency appears to be variable between the East and Southeast, so De Lorimier/Western Notre-Dame might be a better bet, especially if Southeasterlies prevail. The expected speeds at the moment are a little tough to forecast, but I believe they could pick up a good deal during the late afternoon and onwards, which is important since humidity levels will be quite high.

Once I receive newer models or synoptic charts to work with, it'll be easier to confirm these conditions, but, as always, the information presented here should serve as a rough guideline in what to possibly expect.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 23:53:23

Hello everyone,

What was mentioned in the above post for Saturday evening (the 25th of July) still is accurate. As the models are still projecting, the system's cold front moving in from Ontario shouldn't be affecting Southern Quebec until roughly just after midnight and onwards with clustered bands of rainfall and widely scattered thundershowers/thunderstorms (some possibly becoming strong), so that's good news. Though it will likely be partly to mostly cloudy with cirrus and towering cumulus clouds, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of preliminary widely isolated showers developing by very late evening (since places like Ottawa and Cornwall have that risk). Once more, humidity levels will be at about high standards and temperatures should remain just above 20 C during the evening (as much as 23 C). During the day itself, we'll be dealing with a mix of sun and cloud, though more cloud than sun because of the previous system departing and later on because of the cold front associated with the coming system from the West. The best chance for severe weather tomorrow is in Southwestern Ontario.

The winds are, again, more of a concern for viewers on Notre-Dame and nearby streets this time. Winds, in general, will be relatively light for most of the day, though I think they will pick up just slightly by early evening to about 14 to as much as 16 km/h. Directional tendency is still mainly Easterly to East-Southearterlies (ESE) for the day, but there is some indication that there could be more of an ESE shift by very late afternoon into the evening instead of just Easterly - this is preferable since the smoke would be directed more to our left. Either way, we are still likely looking at variability between E and SE for the evening, so for those of you watching on Notre-Dame, to get some better viewing and to avoid large amounts of smoke, the closer you are to the bridge is the better (West of the bridge is ideal). Those on the bridge, the closer to the park you are, the better. This is quite ironic since we were dealing with the same kind of problem when Royal was here in 2003. Winds will gradually shift and stay at more S to SW by later Sunday, and this will be responsible for the continued very warm and humid weather for the next while.

That's the way Mother Nature is governing the atmosphere. In summary, we're dealing with the chance for preliminary isolated showers for late Saturday evening followed by more pronounced bands of rains and storms around 11:30 to midnight and onwards. Partly to mostly cloudy skies will dominate the evening, otherwise. Winds are generally light, though I think they will pick up to adequate values by early evening. Average winds are Easterlies for the day (evening included).

Just for the record, this is the seventh display, and I haven't yet been able to forecast entirely pleasant weather for a Saturday (including ideal winds). What an unsettled Summer this has been. For those of you interested in knowing why Summer 2009 has been the way it was, feel free to give me a shout.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 15:31:59

Well, I wasn't at all surprised that such powerful thunderstorms developed in Southern Quebec last night and yesterday, and I was expecting this sort of scenario to come about for about 60 hours or so prior to the storms. What a storm we had here last night. Here's a screenshot I took of the radar imagery while I was tracking the weather for several hours - it's a crappy shot, but Montreal is where all the red is. Parts of the West Island and the South Shore got hit particularly hard.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1647.jpg

The same strong slow-moving cold front was involved along with a huge amount of CAPE (convective available potential energy), plenty of moisture/humidity, and the sun made an appearance in the later afternoon, which served to boost instability. It should be apparent that the sun's appearance in signaling pleasant weather is deceiving on a typical day with an unstable atmosphere. In fact, much like for the storms that erupted before China's display, the sun also played a big role in firing up the storms on the evening of the 26th of July. Once you have even a small amount of time for sunshine, that's really all it takes when the right atmospheric dynamics are there.

Here's some video that I took:

The thunderclaps and booms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOXbKEL-Eo&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfL4AVg7Mo&feature=channel

The storm entering the West Island from the SW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFUnFxowTw4&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpiNdn1MKEU&feature=channel

The storm departing to the NE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppq-QU7S3A&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OJ3RGsBbg&feature=channel

Storms may fire up again today and this evening, but will likely be non-severe in nature - we'll still keep an eye out, though, for the odd isolated severe cell. The best chance for severe weather has shifted Eastward along the cold front today and for tomorrow. Expect continued very warm and humid conditions this week, along with the risk for storms due to a trough. The chance for severe weather may come into existence once more tomorrow (Tuesday) late day into the evening, overnight and through most of Wednesday for Southern Quebec for more and less the same reasons as last night - doesn't mean we will automatically see severe weather, but merely that the conditions are favorable to the development of strong storms during this time.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 20:39:23

I justly thought about you last night. I took a look to MeteoMedia website as soon as possible following the thunderstorm and the radar picture was awesome, with a lot of red and pink. Fortunately, it was not a fireworks night!

Fred

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 14:09:10

Hi Fred,

Indeed, the radar imagery was very impressive on the evening of July 26th. The reds, particularly darker reds, and pinks indicate locally flash flooding rains (in excess of 50 mm per hour), damaging winds, hail, and oftentimes frequent lightning (an occurrence every 0.5-8 seconds). Those colors can also sometimes indicate rotation within the updraft area of the storm, which implies a possible mesocyclone (a precursor to a possible tornado). However, usually you would have to revert to Doppler radar to actually confirm or detect any rotation, or if it has been reported by civilians, weather watchers or spotters in the form of wall clouds or funnel clouds.

Again, as stated in the previous post, we could see some strong storms forming today (the 29th) up until late this evening (perhaps even stretching into the early overnight). We had some decent storm activity very late evening yesterday and around midnight to about 2:00 a.m. There's just so much energy and humidity out there today (probably the highest moisture levels so far this year). I love it. Most of the severe storms currently are to our West and Northwest.

Still keeping an eye on Saturday.

I justly thought about you last night.

That's nice to hear.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 16:13:45

Good afternoon,

For the first time in 7 weeks, we will likely finally see a Saturday having an atmospheric setup that is free of unsettled weather and conducive to virtually pleasant, mostly sunny, and humid conditions thanks to a beautiful South to Southwesterly flow pushing into Eastern Canada. As a result, we will see a few clouds developing through the day along with, again, warm and fairly humid weather, even lasting well into the evening hours. Highs should reach the high 20s C, while staying as warm as the low 20s in the evening with continued moderate to high levels of moisture.

The only thing that we really need to watch right now are the winds. Overall, I think they will be light in nature and staying predominantly out from the SW. However, it is possible that we will see a Southerly shift as well as breezier conditions by the late afternoon. This would be ideal.

The weekend, in general, is looking good, though Saturday is the best day to make any plans since a cold front associated with the next low will possibly be affecting Eastern Ontario and Southern Quebec by late afternoon and evening on Sunday and into Monday, producing showers and thunderstorms (I know the forecasts aren't showing that yet, but you may see the change later on). Friday (tomorrow) is good, in general, though a passing trough may cause a few scattered showers to develop in the afternoon.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 01:04:05   Edited by: Smoke

Just to provide an update for the winds on Saturday night (tonight), again, we're dealing with a Southwesterly to Southerly flow, but I'm thinking that the winds will shift to more SSW to possibly straight Southerlies by late afternoon to early evening as the low pressure system draws closer. Either way, this means that smoke would be blowing predominantly to the right for viewers at La Ronde (left for those on Notre-Dame). Wind speeds are maintaining light status, but should be at about 12-16 km/h by late afternoon and evening.

As mentioned, temperatures are reaching Summer-like values to as much as 28 to possibly 29 C with moderate humidity, making it feel like the low to even mid 30s C. Moisture levels should hold constant during the evening hours, and temperatures will stay above 20 C during this time (21-23 C). A few cumulus clouds will form here and there during the afternoon due to mild convection, but the air is definitely stable overall (wow), although that will quickly change late day Sunday.

For everything else, please refer to my previous post as it is still accurate.

Weather's fantastic for team USA.

Trav.

P.S. Perhaps we may see some scattered showers or even a thunderstorm tonight (Friday night), again, because of the same passing trough that I spoke of.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 11:41:09   Edited by: Smoke

Just to update, winds will be closer to 10 than 15 km/h this evening. Everything else remains the same.

Heading to Ontario, but I'll be back this afternoon.

Enjoy the show!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 01:22:42   Edited by: Smoke

The forecast for our final entrant is a little tricky for tomorrow (Saturday). I'm still carefully watching a system that is tracking Eastward into Ontario and Quebec. Given the model outputs, I'm thinking that we'll get away with a good Saturday, but some of the simulations are in a disagreement with the actual timing of the approaching warm front associated with the low during the evening hours in our region - some are predicting the front reaching as far Northeast as Eastern Ontario at this time, while we see partly cloudy to increasing cloudiness here in Southern Quebec by the late afternoon and evening. Others suggest the same, but additionally the risk for preliminary showers/light rainfall during the late evening. I'd still like to monitor the overall speed of the front for the next 12 to 18 hours as this determines everything. Most of the model runs should come up with a general consensus as well.

Winds seem to be behaving in a near-identical fashion to what we had seen during the American display - that is, light Southwesterlies to a gradual Southerly shift (though possibly even Southeasterlies) by late afternoon and early evening. Winds should be at about 9-13 km/h for the evening. What we have is high pressure situated over the Atlantic (rare this Summer) along with this coming low from the United States, both helping to circulate warm moist air from the Gulf into much of Eastern Canada, and hence the Southerlies - this is why Sunday is likely going to be quite sticky and humid, along with the risk for some possibly strong storms later in the day.

Temperatures tomorrow evening won't be quite as warm as last Saturday during the American show, and will likely be hovering at about 18-20 C, compared to the 24-25 C seen last week in the metropolitan area (22 C in the suburbs). Moisture levels will slowly increase during the evening-overnight period, however.

I'll have a final update later today (Friday) to confirm these conditions, particularly with respect to the possible precipitation during late Saturday evening. It is with a fair possibility that precipitation should hold off until the early overnight, but again, it's important to keep tabs on the overall speed of the warm front.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 08:24:14

I hope that Mother Nature will wait until midnight before sending us these preliminary showers. Other than that, it would be a nice day and a comfortable evening.

Heavy rain and scattered thunderstorms in Quebec City since 6:30am this morning...

Fred

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 22:52:40   Edited by: Smoke

Just to provide a weather update, as most of the model outputs are now in agreement, I believe any precipitation forming ahead and along that warm front should arrive by the later overnight hours, as will the generally cloudier skies. The system has actually slowed somewhat due to that area of high pressure stationed out over the Atlantic hindering its movement, so the earlier simulated sky conditions have now shifted as much as a few hours ahead. Consequently, we will still see some increasing cloud beginning to move in during the evening and early overnight, but those preliminary showers should start by mid-overnight and onwards, while more possible steadier bands of rain on and off for the day Sunday. Rains seem to be more pronounced as far Northeast as Trenton, Ontario during the early evening hours Saturday. In all, we should get away with a nice and pleasant Saturday in Eastern Ontario and here in Southern Quebec.

Wind tendency still is maintaining a Southwesterly pattern for most of the day, but I still suspect a shift to the SSW to possibly straight Southerlies by the late evening and eventually South-Southeasterlies overnight. Either way, you should see the smoke moving slowly to your right for those at La Ronde (left for viewers on Notre-Dame), much like last week. Winds are overall light in nature, but will be a little more breezy during the day before transitioning to more of a light status by very late afternoon and through the evening. Again, speeds during the evening are likely 9-13 km/h.

Ambient temperatures are still expected to be close to what I had mentioned before, which is 18-20 C in the late evening, though closer to 17-18 because we're having a fair amount of sky, low moisture, and relatively light winds present, a combination favoring slightly more radiational cooling. Moisture levels are steadily rising during the late evening-overnight period, but are overall fairly low (in part why both tonight and last night being so uncomfortably cool). Once that warm front comes through mainly Sunday, though, you guys will realize how humid it will be - in fact, Sunday-Monday could be one of the most humid days (feeling almost into the low 40s C with the humidity) we've seen this Summer - I really haven't seen an atmospheric setup quite like this for the entire season. Temperatures overnight Sunday and Monday may remain as high as 25 C. Some thunderstorms may become rather powerful later Sunday through to early Tuesday, though for different reasons - we'll keep an eye on that. There's a heck of a lot of moisture, energy, very warm to even hot temperatures, and even some decent helicity levels (wind shear) present during this period - all conditions for inviting strong storms to fire up and even for rotation within some of them.

Hi Fred,

I saw the heavy rains and isolated t-storms you spoke of this morning passing through the Quebec City area and East-Northeastward on radar - some very impressive downpours there at the time. These rains you've experienced were a part of a trough that was associated with the strong low pressure system situated out over the Maritimes currently. Atmospheric troughs usually enhance instability to some degree because they allow for cooler air to migrate Southward into mid levels of the atmosphere, reducing the ambient temperature at that level and near the surface, and ultimately increasing the likelihood for unsettled weather in whatever affected area(s).
---------------------------------------------------
EDIT: In other weather-related news, an F2 tornado was confirmed in association with a severe thunderstorm near Mont-Laurier, Quebec back on Tuesday when that cold front came through. An F2 is considered strong or significant and can possess winds of up to 252 km/h. To put that kind of speed into perspective, it's more than enough to rip rooves off from homes, uproot large trees and turn large objects into missiles.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 20:40:08

Good evening,

I suppose these are going to be the last couple of weather reports for the 2009 fireworks season.

With respect to the closing show, well as I'm sure all of you can already see in the forecasts, it's likely going to be a typical Summer day Saturday, much like it has been for the last couple of days or so. The long stretch of very warm/hot and humid weather is the result of high pressure held firmly in place in much of Eastern Canada and out over the Atlantic. This is why I had mentioned later in my previous post that I haven't seen an atmospheric setup quite like this for the Summer. I must say that I'm quite pleased with the results.

The long stretch of this typical Summer pattern may qualify as a true heat wave (three consecutive days of 32 C or more), and high pressure in the area will suppress heavy convection since the air is sinking as opposed to rising. This very warm and humid airmass will likely stick with Eastern Canada until most of Tuesday at this point before a cold front moves through late day and into Wednesday and delivers potentially severe thunderstorms. Until then, expect highs in the very high 20s to even low 30s with progressively more and more humidity as we get into tomorrow and then the weekend, making it feel into the high 30s C to possibly the low 40s C. Overnight lows will remain anywhere between 21 to as much as 24 C, along with continued high humidity. A developing system South of Hudson Bay will remain North and travel Northeast because of the jet stream.

As such, we should therefore see a very warm and humid Saturday evening with generally light winds coming out from the Southwest. Mild convection will be present under the influence of high pressure, so a few cumulus clouds will form here and there. Evening temperatures in the metropolitan area may be as high as 25 C and feeling into the low to possibly mid 30s C with the humidity. Wind tendency should remain as Southwesterlies, so smoke will be moving off in about the same direction as was seen during both the American and South African performances. I'd still like to keep tabs on the speeds, however, especially since they're light in nature and the fact that moisture levels are rather high by this weekend. If the speeds remain at or close to the values I'm currently seeing in the model runs, then we should be in for a perfect Summer evening for the closing.

I'll have a final update later tomorrow to confirm the wind conditions. Enjoy the weather, everyone - make up for some lost time.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 23:25:12   Edited by: Smoke

Good evening,

To provide an update for the wind velocities, well, the models are still in an agreement in showing Southwesterlies as the dominant direction for Saturday, though some variability between the WSW and SW through the day, but mostly SW to even a slight South-Southwesterly (SSW) shift by the evening. Therefore smoke, again, should be moving off mostly to the right slowly for viewers at La Ronde (opposite for viewers on Notre-Dame). Speeds are expected to be at about 15 to as much as 19 km/h in the afternoon, but will gradually diminish to lighter status by the early evening to about 8 to no more than 13 km/h - I noticed similar wind patterns over the last 48 hours - it's common with high pressure areas. Speeds, though, should be adequate to move the smoke out fast enough most of the time. A smog advisory could also be issued for the Greater Montreal area tomorrow as well with these kinds of conditions, much like the case today.

Temperatures will remain very warm in the evening, much like it is right now as I write this. I anticipate potentially 27-28 C during the early evening and then gradually to 25-26 C by late evening, especially in the metropolitan area. Moisture levels are high, so it will feel like the high 30s C in the afternoon and low 30s C throughout the evening. With very mild convection, we'll see a few clouds developing here and there, but will become mainly clear in the evening due to the loss of the sun.

That's the way Mother Nature is governing the atmosphere. Another typical Summer night on the way - how appropriate to conclude the 25th anniversary.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:09:58

Just thought I'd provide a final set of weather updates, even though it's not going to be a major display this coming Saturday. Your forecast for Saturday (the 22nd of August) is calling for somewhat improving conditions following this rather unsettled weather pattern in place for both today and tomorrow.

What we are currently dealing with is a vigorous low pressure that has a large amount of upper level support. The cold front, then, associated with this low is quite powerful, and I'm not sure if you've heard, but a fairly large tornado and severe thunderstorm outbreak has struck Southern Ontario (one possible fatality and widespread damage) this afternoon and is continuing to do so as it moves further to the Northeast. Here in Montreal, we face the risk for some thunderstorm activity, some of which may be severe later tonight and through tomorrow (Friday) as that same cold front comes through. There is a lot of moisture, convective energy and instability in the atmosphere, so it's possible for severe weather to develop in Eastern Ontario and Southern Quebec tonight and until, I'd say, the early evening hours tomorrow as the cold front continues to travel in this direction.

As this system moves further Northeastward towards the Maritimes, it will likely merge with Hurricane Bill, who is tracking further North and will eventually curve to the Northeast thanks to this deep upper level trough of low pressure in the polar jet. This may have some influence on the weather on Saturday depending on how much this merged system remains Westward. However, regardless, I'm thinking that things will become increasingly fair by the afternoon and evening with temperatures remaining close to 20 C along with light Southwesterly winds Saturday evening. As the area of high pressure dominates Ontario and Quebec by Sunday into Monday, it will possibly invite unseasonably cool, but pleasant conditions stretching for a few days, though overnight lows may be a little on the chilly side.

A final update will come tomorrow (Friday) evening to confirm these conditions, but in the meantime, once more, be aware that we have the risk for some potent storms for the next 24 hours. It's important to remember that this doesn't necessarily mean that we will in fact see severe weather, but rather that conditions are favorable to their development for this time period. Environment Canada will appropriately issue watches and warnings if they become necessary.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:30:11

Unfortunatley I won't be attending this one guys,

It's sucks but I know. I have a concert to attend, because not only am I a consumer pyrotechnician who set's a bunch off and get's paid, but I am also a musician! So while I'll be playing some Led Zepplin, La Ronde will be giving a tribute to the king of Pop. I am a great fan of the pop of what they had back in the days that I danced to when I was 5 such as (Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna and more 80's music even though I'm 15 and I now listen to Rock and Metal). If I had a choice I'd still go to rock, my heart is rock, and I was brought up by music of my mom's time. I know it will be a pleasant display, and I hope you all enjoy! Trav, I recommend you filming this display, you might get thousands of views in the next few weeks!

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 23:48:06

To elaborate on what I had mentioned before, here are the results of those Ontario storms:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090820/national/tornado_warnings

Please refer to my previous post for more details about this system.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 21:53:34

The forecast for the final evening of the competition still remains identical to what I had stated in my last update. However, the models have shifted somewhat in terms of the speed of the systems in the East, so I'll have to make some adjustments.

Firstly, temperatures are still expected to remain into the low 20s C for the evening tomorrow (likely around 22 to possibly 24 C in the metropolitan area). Humidity levels are to be at relatively high values, even though the cold front has come through already. As a result, with the humidity, it will feel close to the mid 30s C in the afternoon tomorrow and the very low 30s C in the evening.

The winds are something to look at as they will likely be quite light at speeds of about 4 to no more than 8 km/h. Directional tendency is actually shifting from the SW during the day to the Northeast to North-Northeast (NNE) by the evening hours, so smoke may appear to be moving off very slowly to your left for folks at La Ronde. I guess any possible smoke accumulations won't be so bad considering that this is only a 10-11 minute performance. I'll post an "EDIT" should the predominant direction shift tomorrow in the later model runs, so check back with me from time to time tomorrow, just in case.

Finally, although the cold front has pretty much moved through, a trough associated with the same low is lingering in Ontario and Quebec, and is setting the stage for unsettled weather later in the day for these regions. The trough is actually drawing in moisture from Hurricane Bill, so that's in part why we're still getting overall high levels (not very high, like earlier today) of moisture still circulating in Southern Quebec. We're looking at partly to mostly cloudy skies, in general, for the later afternoon period and into the evening, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility for scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms to develop along this trough during these times (30-40% P.O.P if anything). Otherwise, expect mostly cloudy skies for the evening.

Hurricane Bill is expected to hit Nova Scotia, extreme Southern New Brunswick and Eastern P.E.I. as a borderline category 1-category 2 storm, bringing with it as much as 200 mm of rain (especially with the moisture enhancement from this past system), winds up to 140 km/h and significant storm surge and coastal erosion. Newfoundland will also likely receive the storm as a category 1. Had it not been for the trough in the polar jet, this storm would have affected Eastern Ontario, Southern Quebec and the Northeastern U.S instead of being deflected to the NE.
------------------------------------------------------
And so concludes the weather reports for 2009. It was quite a busy one during both June and July and thus certainly had me often vigilant. At the same time, however, it was a pleasure to try to make sense of the weather we dealt with every Saturday as well as in between. Though the season is over, I'll be more than delighted to take any requests for personalized forecasts, so feel free to give me a shout - you know where to find me. Also, if there are any weather-related curiosities, please don't hesitate to send me your questions - I'd more than love to address them.

Other than that, I'll probably continue to post any major weather events of interest or even space news in the near future and the upcoming months, especially as activity around here starts to wane in the dark months of both Fall and Winter.

Again, I'm hoping that my prediction will come true with us getting away with an overall mild Winter this year with hopefully an Indian Summer. So far, my prediction for August has pretty much come true in terms of storm activity in the East and with respect temperature trends. Hurricane season, too, got off to a slow start likely due to El Nino.

Take care,

~Trav.~

Posted: Sep 25, 2009 18:59:18

Hi guys,

I just had wanted to share some neat pictures of a rainbow that I had taken on the late afternoon of September 23rd following a brief thundershower that went through our area:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1914.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1910.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1913.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1915.jpg

T-shower closing in:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1907.jpg

Sunset following the storm:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG1923.jpg

The rainbow was actually a perfect arc splitting the sky. The fainter secondary bow that had accompanied it during a couple of moments when the sun illuminated brightly on the horizon additionally was showing off in all its glory. The thundershower was in association with an approaching cold front, which is why today and yesterday are quite cool and drier compared to the humid and very warm weather seen prior to the front's passage.

Warmer weather on the way for the weekend with this incoming system from the U.S, though it will become increasingly unsettled by very late Saturday and on and off thereafter as we get into the work week. As the deep trough continues to develop in the polar jet in the East, an organized and quickly developing low will take form out West as it collects moisture and as its circulation increases - this may provide some possibly gusty Northerlies and Northwesterlies as we get into Tuesday. Because of this deepening trough, the winds around the associated low are strengthening and helping to usher in a colder airmass by the time we reach Tuesday, so it will feel like typical October for the first few days of the month, unfortunately. September has been pretty good overall, though this one ranks as one of the driest on record - we barely picked up 20 mm of rain so far this month and the monthly average is closer 100 mm, making September usually the wettest month of the year.

I'm also keeping an eye on a developing ridge in the West - if the ridge holds strong as it travels East, it may boost our temperatures back into the very low 20's C by next weekend or more likely into the work week (still have to wait on newer model projections, though). Should that be the case, there's a chance that we may see a nice small stretch of pleasant weather taking place close to the Thanksgiving weekend.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 01:54:53

Hi guys,

As the Fire on Ice displays are starting off soon, I thought it would be appropriate to give a brief analysis as to what sort of weather can be expected for the first display taking place this evening (the 5th of December). In general, aside from the cold and relatively gusty winds or inconvenient wind direction, weather isn't as much of an issue for the fireworks during the latter part of Fall and through the course of the Winter as compared to the Summer time since, primarily, the atmosphere is governed with very poor moisture content. The actual prediction of weather conditions is also somewhat an easier task at this time of year for reasons I won't go into (unless you're interested, that is ).

Seeing that high pressure is beginning to advance in Ontario and Quebec, we should see a little more in the way of sunny breaks for next number of days. Temperatures, however, are dropping behind the low that brought us so much rain Wednesday night. Winds should begin to change direction from Westerlies to gradual Northeasterlies, but will generally be calm to light (no more than 8 km/h during the evening). Close proximity to the water, however, may invite some occasionally higher speeds, but should still remain, overall, light in nature. The ambient temperature is likely -3 to as chilly as -5 Celsius during the evening depending on cloud cover extent, along with a very slight windchill of -6 C (winds are too light to generate a significant wc factor). Dress accordingly, especially since evening-overnight temperatures are now starting to exhibit a more sub-zero tendency.

To close, let me say that this past November was most impressive with its relatively high monthly temperature mean (possibly the third, or even second warmest on record). Slightly above seasonal weather should continue more and less for the next few days or so, although you can already feel that Wintery transition settling in.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 13:39:07

I did forget to mention in my previous post, but we could be potentially facing our first Winter storm later on this week in Ontario and Quebec. Still days out, but the trajectory of this system is the key factor to consider as this determines whether or not we get any real accumulating snow, as well as what the predominant type of precipitation will be. I'm personally hoping to avoid the system altogether.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 15:45:23

I'm hoping that the storm spares you Trav but I'd love to be waist-deep in snow next week.

Thanks, as always, for the weather updates. I hope to make it for Ampleman tonight.

Tyler

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 13:00:19

Hi Tyler,

You may very well end up having your wish granted as most of the models are still projecting the storm to have an impact in Ontario and Quebec by later Wednesday. The only thing we really need to keep tabs on is temperature tendency since this determines what type of precipitation will be most pronounced - if temperatures are warm enough, it should prevent large amounts of snow from falling, although this seems to be the case for Southern Ontario moreso than in Southern Quebec, where temperatures are closer to freezing. Under the current scenario, we will receive measurable snowfall at first with occasional ice pellets (maybe thundersnow in between), then this may transition over to rain/wet snow, and then back to snow when temperatures drop off behind the low. If staying below freezing most of the time, then this could result in some 20 cm of snow. Winds are gusty, regardless, and, either way, it's looking to be a messy Wednesday and Thursday. Once the system departs, it will make way for colder temperatures to settle into the weekend as we're getting strong Northwesterly winds on the back end of the low. Anyhow, still a slight chance that we can avoid the storm if the jet stream keeps it South of here, but that doesn't seem too probable at this point.

Assuming that you attended, I hope you enjoyed Ampleman's display to an optimum extent. I'm particularly looking forward to Royal Pyrotechnie's display.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 22:10:19   Edited by: Smoke

Following up on the previous posts, as initially mentioned, colder air is funneling into much of Ontario and Quebec behind the vicious storm system that brought us so much snow yesterday and last night. Consequently, we will see temperatures that are a fair deal colder than what was witnessed during the display last week. Last Saturday, the low of -6 C arrived until the overnight hours once the clouds had cleared, leaving the evening with a relatively comfortable temperature of 0 to -1 C due to mainly cloudy conditions. Conversely, with a large area of high pressure moving in from the South, mostly sunny skies will likely dominate this Saturday with progressively diminishing winds to lighter standards by the evening, though breezier than last week at as much as 15-17 km/h (Southwesterly). With overall clear evening skies coupled with wind tendency, temperatures should fall in the -8 to -10 C range along with a windchill as cold as -17 to -20 C. Let's just say that Saturday is a cold one, especially in the early morning hours where temperatures are below -10 C. Tomorrow (Friday) is more and less the same.
--------------------------------------------
As far as the storm is concerned, the models did an excellent job predicting its trajectory, even as much as four days in advance when I had first introduced the possibility of a Winter storm. As anticipated, this ended up as more of a "snowstorm" than a Winter storm in the strictest sense, for it was all snow for us in Southern Quebec as compared to the variable precipitation exhibited in Southern Ontario (even thunderstorms were reported in Niagara). Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes also broke out in parts of the Southern U.S in association with the low, and the storm is blamed for at least 10 deaths in the U.S altogether. The storm was also once the size equivalent to a third of the contiguous U.S. Total snow accumulation from this storm is estimated at roughly 27 cm (nearly a foot) in Montreal, which seems consistent with some of my own individual measurements. Snow was accumulating at an average rate of 2 cm per hour following 10 a.m Wednesday morning, and the strongest recorded wind gust was roughly 68 km/h from the East.

Winds, in general, have been gusty out from the W/NW due to a strong pressure gradient existing between this upcoming high and the departing storm system. Oscillating wind direction between the West and Southwest today has resulted in many outbreaks of snowsqualls in Ontario generated off of Lake Huron - on the mosaic radar, this is shown as a looooooong band of snow that spans for about 700 km, affecting areas some distance to the Northeast, such as Montreal, causing periods of heavy flurries today interspersed by sunny breaks. As the high pressure system moves East as another low moves in from the West, I am seeing signatures in this setup resulting in temperatures going back up to seasonal into Sunday, or even a touch above freezing by Monday and Tuesday.

The bottom line is that those who were looking forward to a nice blanketing of snow in time for this Saturday's display got their wish granted by Mother Nature.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 15:24:13   Edited by: Smoke

Greetings,

The forecast for tomorrow, the 19th of December, is calling for continuing bitterly cold conditions, though a slight improvement from what temperatures were yesterday (-15 C as a daytime high). The primary forces behind this prolonged outbreak of cold Arctic air is because of a persistent jet stream pattern, where high pressure has been common Northwest towards the Hudson Bay while strong areas of low pressure have been present over the Atlantic, bringing particularly Newfoundland round after round of good measurable snows. The result of this setup has led to the ushering and migration of deep, cold Arctic air from the West (who of which experienced the cold to a much, much greater magnitude over the course of the last week) Eastward into much of Ontario and Quebec since Wednesday, bringing daytime highs into the minus teens and overnight lows close to, or below the -20 C threshold. Windchills have also been quite harsh with values of -25 to -30 C in the early morning and overnight hours. Brrrrrrr

This Saturday's weather is no exception to the rule and is expected to exhibit similar conditions, though with slightly "warmer" temperatures for daytime highs i.e. closer to -10 than, say, -15 C. The evening-overnight period, however, is still rather cold with temperatures of below -10 C (likely around -12 to -13 C by 8 p.m - definitely below -10 C). Winds are generally calm and variable for most of the day and evening, but will gradually increase to lighter and eventually moderate speeds as the later evening and overnight develops due to an intensifying Nor'Easter as it moves Northward along the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. Wind speeds, then, should be roughly in the range of 7 to no more than 10 km/h during the evening before reaching closer to the 20 km/h mark during the overnight and, given the position of the Nor'Easter at the time, directional tendency is in the form of North-Northwesterlies (NNW) to straight Northerlies. The resulting windchill factor is then between -16 to -19 C. The intensification of this low, coupled with high pressure to the Northwest (which is promoting mostly clear skies) will invite temperatures to drop off relatively fast. However, though the low itself will not be affecting Southern Quebec directly, it may bring in some occasional cloudy periods during the late evening and overnight, so this may, in this case, actually maintain temperatures and keep them from dropping quickly through the night. With the wind tendency, smoke should be moving off slowly towards your left. Similarly, as the winds are coming in mostly from your right (nearly at right angles to your viewing), tilting yourselves away enough to the left when watching the fireworks will somewhat help to avoid the breezes blowing completely in your face. All in all, dress accordingly - it might be wise to additionally equipt yourselves with some double-layered clothing, especially for the more cold-sensitive areas of the body.
-------------------------------------------------
This trend should persist for the weekend and linger on into the beginning of the work week next week, though to a lesser extent as an area of low pressure may be passing through and giving way to possibly more unsettled conditions. Temperatures could be regulating themselves to more seasonal (potentially above) standards as the week unfolds towards Christmas.

On a side note, as we're hitting the Winter solstice in approximately three days, we should start recovering some daylight VERY slowly once we cross December 21st, but you probably won't notice much of a difference in daylength until mid-January. At least there is some good news.

So, are we getting fed up with the season yet (even though it isn't officially Winter)?

Trav.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 22:19:30

Despite all of the information I put into the previous post, I still did forget to mention one important thing, and that is the possibility of another Winter storm having an influence by the night of Christmas Eve into Christmas Day for both Ontario and Quebec, which seems a little fitting given the timing. I don't think, however, based on the prognostic models, that this storm will, should it have an impact, be at the same magnitude as the one we received back on the 9th, but it may bring with it a variety of precipitation, including measurable amounts of snow (temperature dependent, of course). This system, along with other previous small disturbances, are largely responsible for the temperatures gradually rising back up to seasonal (or above) by end-week. In any case, if the storm is expected to continue its projected development and trajectory, then you'll begin to hear more about it as the days progress.

And just to elaborate on a point from the last post related to cloudy periods, I'm thinking that there is a fair likelihood that we could see some partly cloudy skies tomorrow evening (Saturday) associated with that same Nor'Easter, so this will serve, if large enough in coverage, to maintain temperatures and keep them from falling quickly through the night (-12 to -14 C instead of -18 to -20 C). The Nor'Easter itself is expected to hammer much of the Northeastern states with loads of snow accompanied by dangerously gusty winds for many areas. Had it not been for this area of high pressure in place over Ontario and Quebec, then this storm would have been paying us a visit as well, bringing with it easily a foot of snow.

Dress warmly out there tomorrow evening, guys, and enjoy Royal if you plan on attending. For everything else, please refer to the post above.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 22:49:15

So, are we getting fed up with the season yet (even though it isn't officially Winter)?

Not the least bit Trav - though I may be alone on that!

Thanks, as always, for the precise weather report.

Echoing Trav's sentiments, for all in attendance, enjoy Royal tomorrow night.

Tyler

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 23:27:07

Echoing Trav's sentiments, for all in attendance, enjoy Royal tomorrow night.

I'll be there

Paul

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 13:14:18

Hi guys,

First, merry Christmas to all. I hope that everyone is enjoying themselves to the highest extent with friends and/or family! Your Christmas forecast is calling for mostly pleasant weather with comfortable temperatures close to the freezing mark (on the minus side), though with cloudy conditions and gradually breezier winds by the later afternoon hours due to that approaching Texas low (the next Winter storm).

The approaching low pressure system, called a Texas low, will progressively make its way into Eastern Ontario and Southern Quebec by overnight tonight into the morning of Boxing Day. This storm is responsible for a large amount of snowfall in the U.S Midwest. As it tracks Northeastward, its warm front will initially bring in some small snow accumulations (2-4 cm) before transitioning over to ice pellets, then freezing rain and then to mostly rain by the late evening and overnight hours through most of Sunday. Once Sunday evening draws closer, temperatures will begin to drop slowly and the rain will change back over to snow with some additional accumulations into Sunday night and Monday. Winds will also begin to pick up once again and shift from the SW to more North and Northwesterlies. In the process, temperatures will, consequently, plummet again to below seasonal values (about -10 C by Tuesday).

With regards to the final display of the Fire on Ice event, temperatures will be fairly mild at close to the freezing mark between -1 to 1 C in the evening. With the approximate position of the storm system at the time, winds are between the East to nearly Northeasterlies, so winds should be coming from behind most spectators when viewing, and thus blowing the smoke directly away. Speeds will gradually increase and vary depending on where you are on the island, but the average is between 18-24 km/h, producing a windchill of no less than -6 C. The air is also more saturated/damp towards the evening, so the cold may feel a touch more piercing whenever the wind blows. Precipitation is a little tricky to predict by the hour because of the speed of the warm front and its relative position during the evening., but, as mentioned, periods of snow could start things off by the morning hours of Boxing Day, and by the evening or even mid afternoon, rising temperatures may prompt a Wintery mix, including a brief period for patches of freezing rain before everything changes over to predominantly rain/showers during the later evening, so be cautious of that if heading out. Temperatures may also rise fast enough that we skip the snow altogether and head straight to the Wintery mix. Fortunately, if any freezing rain, I don't think it will be quite as extensive as what will be seen in places like Ottawa, for instance. However, even a small amount of freezing rain is sufficient enough to be dangerous for drivers and pedestrians alike, so, once again, be careful.

On a side note, due to temperatures rising steadily, this will prevent large amounts of snow from pilling up and accumulating, as compared to the previous storm earlier this month and what will be seen in Northwestern Ontario at the back end of this system. Temperature determines everything!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 20:52:33

Just so to follow up on my previous post, I am detecting some slowing in the movement of this storm due to the influence of high pressure stationed over central Quebec, and this may, as a result, allow for a slightly longer period for freezing rain to endure into the evening - this observation seems consistent with Environment Canada issuing a freezing rain warning for Southern Quebec and Eastern Ontario tomorrow (Boxing Day).

The approximate timing of the period for both freezing rain and ice pellets (Wintery mix) still applies as what I mentioned previously. I still don't think, however, that it will be quite as extensive as in places like Ottawa, but still significant in accumulation nevertheless - close to 5 mm worth (or more depending on endurance), which is a good amount of glaze on any surface. Remember that freezing rain creates some of the most treacherous conditions, so take care if you're planning on heading out for whatever reason. I imagine that there will also likely be flight delays with the presence of freezing rain at Trudeau airport later tomorrow.

It's a messy Boxing Day for much of the East.

Trav.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022