Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Any predictions for the 2010 season?
Last poster Message

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 16:35:02

Hi guys,

Now that it is September, I thought we could start making some predictions for the 2010 edition of the Montreal fireworks competition. Who do you think will compete? Hopefully, we'll have a nice full list of 10 displays once again, though unlike this season, there probably wouldn't be an opening display, and so there should be nine competitors instead of just eight. However, I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of an opening since they may treat 2010 as a special year (perhaps another year for previous gold Jupiter winners to compete?). I also feel that La Ronde will continue to employ the one display per week schedule for next year (I don't mind that at all, really).

In general, I'm hoping for Italy to be there and IPON SRL to represent them (it's going to be six years next year since they last entered) as well as Pirotecnia Igual or Caballer as a Spanish entrant. I have a feeling that France and Portugal will return as well. Canada (probably a firm outside of Quebec) and USA should be there, too. It's additionally curious if Sweden or Japan would make an appearance.

On another note, I'm not at all fond of the last three weeks of September all the way up to the first three weeks of March (aside from the Christmas holidays and New Years, of course), but I don't feel so bad given that the weather is holding warm and pleasant for much of the country (July-like in some instances), though this Summer felt really short given that we had lost most of June and July in the East (many people are refusing to believe that Fall is nearly here, including me). Again, I'm hoping that my seasonal forecasts are correct.

Anyhow, I'll post my 2010 competitor predictions shortly once I give them some additional thought. Since the 2009 season finished late, at least the wait won't seem so long, as compared to what we're commonly used to.

What are YOUR predictions?

Trav.

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 08:17:48

Here are my predictions or more like my wishes

1. France - Jacques Couturier/ Intermede/ Groupe F
2. Portugal - Macedos
3. Spain - Ricardo Caballer/ Vicente Caballer/ Europla
4. South Korea - Hanwha
5. Italy - Vaccalluzzo/ Pirotecnia Scarpato/ Parente Fireworks
6. Croatia - Mirnovec Pirotechnika
7. Japan - Beniya Aoki/ Marutamaya/ Tamaya
8. China - Dancing Fireworks
9. Canada - Archangel Fireworks/ Fireworks Spectaculars
10. Sweden - Gotenburg Fyverkeri Fabrik

Those are my wishes
Vander

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 21:40:59

You forget Benito my dear.. :S Ipon S.L for Italy!

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 01:05:42   Edited by: Smoke

My prediction for 2010:

France: Groupe F
Spain: Vicente Caballer
Japan: Marutamaya Co. Ltd
Italy: I.P.O.N SRL (hopefully they will finally appear)
Germany: Weco Pyrotechnische Fabrik
Argentina: Cienfuegos
Portugal: Grupo Luso Pirotecnia
Canada: Fireworks Spectaculars Canada
United States: Atlas PyroVision Productions
Closing: Panzera S.A.S

Overall, I feel the listing will look something along those lines. Firstly, I hope for a return of I.P.O.N SRL, especially since it will be six years by next Summer. Though not mentioned above, I would be really happy to see either Holland or Sweden be a part of the listing as well.

As far as the structure of the schedule goes, I think that there will be a full list of 10 displays, though there may be a possibility of an opening for the 2010 edition. It's difficult to say as to whether or not there will be solely gold Jupiter winners competing next year, though this assumption seems more appropriate for a special anniversary rather than simply for the year 2010. I feel that displays will take place once a week for a second time considering that La Ronde seemed to have benefitted from the approach (more attendance on Saturdays, in general) as compared to previous years under the more conventional method - the new approach also makes the competition last longer while the wait is curtailed between seasons. Finally, I think that Panzera will return to perform the closing again, and that the awards ceremony will take place the same night as opposed to having it held separately.

Anyhow, those are my predictions, and, to some extent, my wishes, too.

Trav.

Edit: Can't wait until April...Ah well, 159 days, 12 hours and 27 minutes until the official arrival of Spring and counting.

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 04:14:55   Edited by: Rovira

Ok, here my desires, not my predictions:

1- Germany : Gamma-P / Weco (It's a must, I love german fireworks, they're always great, with a perfect mixture of classic and technology) Gamma-P deserves a place in this competition, for its great fireworks show in other competitions, beacuse of the awesome products they use, and because they use to design a very creative shows. And Weco... becuse is Weco.

2- Spain : Vicente Caballer Yes, for me the best Spanish company designing Pyromusicals. They know how to mix low effects and shells. They use to be great choicing the theme and the music, and of course for their finales.

3- Italy : Vacalluzzo / IPON : Vacalluzzo is the other company who deserves a place in Montreal, at least one time. I think they are one of the best companies making traditional fireworks shows. I'm sure if they are invited in Montreal will prepare something very very very spectacular. I'm not too much into IPON pyromusicals, I prefer their traditional fireworks, howerver their finales are awesome, so it could be great to see one of their finales again.

4- France : Jacques Couturier : Their shows are really big, and very coulourist, moreover they have never been invited in Montreal. They have been in Nuits de feu and they won the 2009 and 2007 Monaco fireworks competition.

5- Sweeden : Göteborgs Fyrverkeri They deserve another oporunity after the 2005 effort. It's a must. And it's not only a question of justice but a question of taste, their displays are always great.

6- Canada : Apogee They did a MAGNIFIC show in Chantilly, I would like to see what are they able to do in Montreal.

7- Japan : Beniya Aoki Since 2004 Japan haven't participated in the competition. Japan is well know for its tradition in fireworks. Marumataya is great, but there are some other companies to mention. One of them Beniya Aoki. If they are invited they will be a surprise for sure. [url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4Tiyb3R4o[/url]

8- U.S.A : Atlas This is one of my favourites. I would like to see Atlas again in the competition.

9- South Korea : Hanwha Corporation They did a great show in 2008, very different, with magnific cakes and some original effects, like the mines on the finale. An intense show. Moreover if I'm not wrong they had some problems with the shells, so this year is a good time to solve the problems of the past.

----------------------------------------------------

I would change the closing show, as I said last years it should be the wining team of the last season, not always Panzera.... However I think is not going to change, so lets see Panzera what offers.

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 10:10:56

Hey guys,

I cannot recall about what countries I took but I've changed my ideas around for forms. So bear with me. And speaking of which, Paul, do you have any information about the Symposium in Portugal this fall? Just wondering.

Germany: IP or WECO The reason IP is very good in choreography and pyromusicals is because they have very good choice of songs, with their help from Benito Pagano, I'm sure if the participate, we are in for another display! As for WECO, I was fascinated of their display in 2004, very bright finale included.

U.S.A.: Atlas or Zambelli Internationale I'd like to see Atlas again, but Zambelli is one I would die for. I know one guy who works for Zambelli during the summer (part-time) who's included on youtube. Anyone wondering? www.youtube.com/displayfireworks1 . I am a big fan of that American firm, they fire an average of 15000 shells approaching $1 milllion at Louisville's Louisville Thunder (a must see!). I wonder how many shells they'd be approaching to in a finale .

Italy: IPON or Parente I agree with Vander, Parente really seems to pull their displays off very well. Probably my favorite firm from Italy aside from IPON. I'm sure everyone saw that Gold finale in a video on YouTube, with the Ecstasy Of Gold song featured from Good, Bad And The Ugly. Very nice finale because it had so many large shells of gold and really made the sky gold.

China: Sunny I really enjoyed their latest display. In fact Eric is a great choreographer.

France: Groupe F For some reason, I find that they deserve to compete again, their display in 2005 was not as enjoyable, but I'm sure they can put on a display.

Spain: Pirotecnica Igual I would LOVE to see them redo their display in 2001, I've always been wondering what it was. I was young so, I don't remember a thing. Honestly, from Trav talking about what he saw, it's defenitley something I'd want to see!

I only have 5 firms here but I find the other 4 can be any other firm (that I wouldn't hope for). I'm out of time cause I have stuff to do, but I cannot wait to see who is compeiting. I'd do anything just to watch IPON next year.

Pat

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 12:12:45

Paul, do you have any information about the Symposium in Portugal this fall? Just wondering.

As was mentioned earlier, it's in October 12-15 2010, not this year - see http://www.isfireworks.com

China: Sunny I really enjoyed their latest display. In fact Eric is a great choreographer.

Indeed Eric Tucker is a great choreographer, he just wasn't the choreographer for Sunny's 2008 display, Jim Shih was. Eric collaborated with Jim for Sunny's entry in the special 2004 20th Edition competition.

Spain: Pirotecnica Igual

Since they competed this year, it is very unlikely they will be here in 2010.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 02:47:00   Edited by: Smoke

Wow. Thanks for sharing all the neat and interesting predictions, guys.

France: Groupe F For some reason, I find that they deserve to compete again, their display in 2005 was not as enjoyable, but I'm sure they can put on a display.

I thought the display put on by Groupe F (France 2005) was one of the most exciting, overall, since 2005. It still also similarly possesses, in my humble opinion, the best concocted finale (along side of Canada 2007) since 2005 as well. The choreography was additionally interesting as I recall.

And yes, Pat, I, too, would love to see I.P.O.N SRL make an appearance after such a long period of time.

Spain: Pirotecnica Igual I would LOVE to see them redo their display in 2001

That will be the day.

Since they competed this year, it is very unlikely they will be here in 2010.

I agree, although Igual had appeared representing Spain twice in a row once before. I believe, however, that the competition has become somewhat diverse in recent years in selecting different representing firms for a number of competing countries, just so to make things more interesting and obviously less redundant. Assuming, then, that Spain does in fact return next Summer, the possibility of Igual showing up diminishes (though still possible, nevertheless).

Trav.

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 08:40:11

Some IPON news, recently they competed in Shanghai fireworks competition 2009 and i think he designed a show for la tirenna sas for Macau fireworks competition 2009 which won 2nd place So i'm sure the wait for their return won't be too long hopefully

I really can't wait to see next year's line up i'm really hoping that Ricardo Caballer will be there xD as always hehe

Vander

Posted: Oct 17, 2009 11:23:09   Edited by: Saluteness

As was mentioned earlier, it's in October 12-15 2010, not this year - see http://www.isfireworks.com

Sorry, I didn't read that post before. I thought it was this year. My mistake.

Indeed Eric Tucker is a great choreographer, he just wasn't the choreographer for Sunny's 2008 display, Jim Shih was. Eric collaborated with Jim for Sunny's entry in the special 2004 20th Edition competition.

I know, I recall seeing a previous Sunny display that Eric Tucker participated in. It was an amazing night. Last year wasn't so bad.

I really hope IPON takes part next year. And I'm just wondering out of curiosity....
In my video (USA Finale) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m85XrlQtGE . From 0:40 to 1:10, what size of shells are those, and how come the lift is really loud? From my good memory, it seemed really really powerful from the thump on my chest (just from the lift). I really wonder if those are cylindricals or sphericals. Really loud shells. Please take a look at 2:22, and look at Ramp 1, all the fury of those shells shooting up! . And speaking of shells I uploaded a video of how it was made from Discovery's How It's Made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88TVh1O5P1o

Hope you all enjoy the videos and have a great upcoming Halloween!
Pat

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 01:17:47

It would be interesting if both IPON SRL and Vicente Caballer are amongst the competitors, as was the case in 2004.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 12:35:54

Oh yes, as I had mentioned a few times since June, I also think that one of the competitors will dedicate their display as a tribute to Michael Jackson...at least I hope so!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 10:14:19

hopefully just a part of the show will be mj songs like this http://www.vimeo.com/6777323... i think it would be a bit boring if it's the whole show.. thats just me though mj fireworks shows are everywhere already

vander

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 14:33:14   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Vander,

I suppose it boils down to personal taste. I understand that fireworks displays are likely becoming common as tributes to Michael Jackson, but I would like to see a Montreal fireworks-style performance dedicated to him - I think that, above all else, would be interesting in terms of creativity and choreography when using his greatest hits. The display would invite a lot of activity as well, considering the hype that is found in a fair number of Michael's songs. I also have a feeling that the crowd would be large as well, especially if the weather is nice.

Additionally, I personally found the tribute to Elvis Presley to work rather well when the U.S designed a display centered around him in 2007, although the climax could have been way better.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 10:53:45

Hey Reflections, the link for the video doesn't work... could you leave again the correct link?

Thank you !
------

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 03:06:18   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

[url="http://www.vimeo.com/6777323"]link[/url] that's the link nothing new, you probably have seen it It's ricasa's sueca 2009 show.. i love the shows ricardo caballer make there

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 05:09:37

Yes, I have seen it, anyway thank you. I'm not a big a fan of Ricardo Caballer pyromusicals. Too much one shot secuences, being the show repetitive and without feeling.

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 06:39:05

@trav is really pyrobably just personal taste as you said

@rovira Although i agree that sometimes they lose emotions in their shows i still absolutely love his shows I like both ricasa (just a bit more) and v. caballer... i'm really hoping that one of them would represent spain in next year's montreal fireworks competition. More over i think they really should consider having more recruits next year such as Vaccalluzzo, Europla, Dancing fireworks, Aoki, Jacques couturier, nanos fireworks, apogee, Mirnovec pirotecnia, and Gotenburgs for another try

vander

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 09:03:20

Reflections: I'm sure you will like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2sbLGbV274

Pyromusical by Göteborgs with Michael Jackson songs!

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 09:32:43

i've seen that one not so impressed i feel like they have been doing the same stuff only with different beats i think gotenburgs' really good with short and sweet shows but not so much on big ones..

vander

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 05:39:07

hopefully we see shows like this in 2010 montreal fireworks competition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvEow1cW7o

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 11:25:51

Une crainte, une prédiction et deux souhaits pour la saison 2010.

Ma crainte: Il est évident que la construction de la nouvelle montagne russe au-dessus du lac va obstruer la vue de la section VIP qui borde le Jardin des Étoiles. Je crains bien que cette section VIP - très lucrative - soit relogée du côté opposé de la Place du Canada, près de l'Arcade. Ce faisant, le lac serait complètement ceinturé et il ne resterait aucune ouverture directe pour le public qui ne détient pas de billets pour les gradins.

Ma prédiction: Entre trois et cinq nouvelles firmes pour la saison 2010. Les aspirants sont nombreux à attendre leur tour pour "faire Montréal" et la formule du 25e anniversaire ne permettait pas d'accueillir des recrues. Il y en aura probablement plusieurs en 2010.

Mon premier souhait: Que des parasites ne viennent pas brouiller le travail de l'équipe des feux et que celle-ci soit entièrement maître de ses choix pour établir la programmation 2010. Une telle ingérence a fait en sorte que le prometteur, grandiose et coûteux spectacle de 45 minutes initialement prévu pour clôturer la 25e édition a viré au gâchis que nous avons connu.

Mon deuxième souhait: Que la soirée de clôture retrouve son sens et que les prix Jupiter soient remis à ce moment-là, pas une semaine plus tard.

Fred

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 13:05:15

Speaking about the new coaster, you can follow its construction here, minute by minute.
Seems like the lake will be smaller too, or its just for the construction time...

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 18:02:24

Oui... Il est surprenant de constater que rien ne semble encore avoir levé de terre. De mémoire, la montée principale du Vampire et du Goliath avaient été complétées avant Noël ou au début de janvier. Pour l'instant, on ne voit toujours rien... Je doute que tout cela soit prêt pour le mois de mai. Peut-être pour le premier week-end de feu à la mi-juin ou pour la Fête nationale...

Fred

Posted: Jan 13, 2010 14:11:43

Can we expect the list of the participating firms to be revealed around the arrival of Spring, as was the case last year?

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021