Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics
Last poster Message

Posted: Mar 1, 2010 01:15:31   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

I'm still a little shaken up after yesterday afternoon's wild hockey game where we were attempting to claim our 14th gold medal when against the United States during that tense and dramatic overtime period. The U.S was really going all out in those final critical minutes of the third period, desperately trying to tie the game. In the end, just when most thought Canada would secure victory, a very shocking twist had occurred as the U.S was successful to even the score when only about 24 seconds remained in the final period. Though it was frustrating for the Canadian audience, it seemed somehow appropriate that such drama and tension should erupt given that we were in the midst of shattering records while seeking redemption after the unfortunate loss we suffered following the first encounter with the U.S before having to take on Germany, Russia and Slovakia (it was a tough road). By the time all was said and done, with everyone on the edge of their seats (especially myself clutching my shirt with sweaty palms), the country's new hero, Sydney Crosby, managed to make an impeccable score during the frantic beginning of overtime, bringing Canada its well deserved 14th gold medal while both making history and calming the nerves and extreme pressure of Canadians.

It was a real pleasure to watch the Winter games over the last two and a half weeks and see Canada not only triumphant in ranking as third in total number of medals acquired (26), but also making history for breaking the record of the total earned gold medals collected by any country for the Winter Olympics - the old record standing at 13, which was set by the Soviet Union in 1976 and then by Norway in 2002. As such, we are number one for the most golds for the 2010 Winter games. As I had stated with much enthusiasm following Canada winning the 2009 (and 2003) Montreal fireworks competition.....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really proud of our athletes.

In any case, after all of the chaos, I just wanted to share the fireworks display during the opening ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SM8kf1N4gU

I'll post the closing once it is available (you're always welcome to do so as well if you happen to come across it).

Other than that, we've made it to March, and soon it will be time to put the clocks one hour forward (March 14th). It turns out that my prediction (based on El Nino), thus far, for this Winter has been on the right track as we've, most assuredly, seen a mild Winter season while being snow-deprived across much of this nation - this combination was often problematic for outdoor Winter sports during the Olympics. For the East, major storm systems in February were forced to stay South of the border. Still, though, Winter has time to play with, and so it's not over until it's over. At least, however, we're off to a good start, though breezy (thanks to storm systems out East in the Atlantic), for the first week of March as temperatures are, overall, exhibiting similar values left behind by February - that is, above normal.

Trav. (Proud to be Canadian)

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 14:46:08

So there were lots and lot of fireworks to be seen in Vancouver and area for the couple weeks. Anyone know who the companies involved were? Any Canadian companies or all big American?
You had BC Place, for opening and closing, indoors and on the roof.
LiveCity party had pyro/SPFX and a barge fireworks show.
Pyro and flame show at Robson Street Party.
There was the barge for opening ceremonies.
A crap load of torch run shows in the genral area the days leading up to opening.
Whistler had some stuff going on for medal awards, and some guys ski jumping through flaming hoops.
Gold medal hockey, men's and women's had pyro at the end.

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 16:15:23

Yes, I remember seeing that after their victory over the U.S. Following the opening ceremony, though, I wish they had some additional fireworks around the city of Vancouver, and especially the stadium, once Wayne Gretzky lit the cauldron outside - that would have been really cool.

Trav.

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 07:55:29

All Canadian companies produced the displays.

Sean

Posted: Mar 10, 2010 11:54:36

The 17 barge shows @ Livecity Yaletown was produce by Groupe Fiatlux Ampleman.

Posted: Mar 24, 2010 07:52:02   Edited by: Saluteness

Hey guys!

Gee it's been a long time since I've been on. I have missed a few topics to comment on. And I'm kinda late to talk about this. But I'd like to share a little about the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Fireworks. It was an amazing display, and thanks Trav for sharing the video. I didn't know the display was already posted on YouTube.

Wasn't the pyro at the hockey arena Mascletas or Ground Salutes but just elevated? They did put quite alot, made lots of noise!

Vancouver, out of all cities, I find is the cleanest in breathing. And I remember going there two years ago. My uncle moved there and had his condo facing Canada Place, and on the side of his balcony, you could see BC Place. I really don't know why he moved to Port Moody...He had an awesome spot picked out on Abbott Strt. He could have seen alot of stuff.

I wish they had some additional fireworks around the city of Vancouver

You mean like the fireworks similar to the ones Macedo's did in Madeira Island? It was the world record for the largest fireworks display in the world in 2004 I believe.

Well I'm glad to be back, and I hope to be here quite some more this year.
And congrats to the Canadian olympians who took place in it and as well as the paralympic games.

Pat

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 00:27:39

Here is the closing display (I think) for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDyHILTqAGk

Some fireworks launched along the rim of the roof of BC Place stadium for the closing ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zev_uxTHYek

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.024