Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2004 Display Reviews —› Holland (JNS Pyrotechniek B.V.) Reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 14, 2004 20:21:34   Edited by: badnitrus

I'll try to be short this time. But I do have to say one thing: half way through the show, they already convinced me. Those towers were used in so many clever ways. There were moments when each single note was synchronized with the music. They displayed so many choreography elements I can't even remember them all! One thing after another, they amazed the audience. This was also the best editing I've seen so far for a soundtrack this year. They interrupted each song with a comment, sound effects... they were not really a narration. And yet, it was quick and efficient. Clever, clever design thorough! I didn't even care for the finale. Well, I mean, it was just as impressive as Italy (by memory), but the rest of the show already amazed me enough. Strong, high caliber show from Holland!

They even made the audience laugh with their "cellphone" joke! I actually turned around thinking it was somebody's cellphone ringing! Humor in a display, has that ever been tried before? It sure was a PLUS for the audience.

The only criticisms I had during the show was at one particular part, I remember thinking it was too repetitive... but I don't remember which part exactly. And another thing is although I loved the big white loud shells (you know, the ones people cheered about), they kept using it until the end and it had a lesser impact after seeing them for a while.

But otherwise, I thought that was it. From all the previous displays, this one was just... I don't know... so unique! It really stood out because it was original, audacious, well choreographed, fast paced, intense and topped with a beautiful sky filling finale.

I'm looking forward to read Paul's review (I hope he's okay!) and see if there were any technical flaws because I realized with Spain that I don't have that kind of expertise to notice that. But right now, just with my impression of it, it stole my personal star from Spain. No doubt about it.

Next display is Saturday already!
It's getting by so fast!

Posted: Jul 14, 2004 20:46:16   Edited by: Smoke

Hello everyone,

I just got back from, what I call, a pretty good display.

To start off, the weather. HOLLAND WAS SPARED from the rain onslaught, just as I thought. We did have some drizzle here and there, but it didn't bother the display. I was impressed with the weather. In fact, the day ended up being beautiful and perfect for the fireworks.

Anyways, all I have to say, it really suited the title "Invasion of Colours." It was so well done and choreographed. I loved it! I also agree about the music. It was enjoyable and went really well with the fireworks. I particularly like the part with the Star Wars theme.

Also, there were some nice effects all the way through. I really must comment on the 2 towers. It was beautiful! It went so well with the soundtracks used! It was like perfect timing! I loved the way it was used and the colours demonstrated! And this is what made the display so unique! It was very well integrated with the display. It also made certain segments pretty intense! And it made some neat patterns! Synchronozation was excellent and it made it enjoyable for the fireworks.

I also must comment on the those chest thumping huge white shells! Well, you don't see those everyday! They were fantastic! I loved the way they were integrated with some of the intense parts mixed in with the lower fireworks! The audience did roar for more of these! Especially me! They were huge and wide! They made it even more exciting in what I thought was the faux finale.

There were also some nice serpent shells, too! So much colour transitions in the display, as well, especially near the finale! I liked that.

As for the finale, I was somewhat disappointed with it because I felt that it wasn't strong enough to my tastes in what I expect in an intense typical finale. There wasn't enough build up and I found it a little too short for my personal likings. It started off with a blast, but ended too quickly and plus, I actually thought that the segment before that seemed more intense! Anyways, I know a lot of people around me were also expecting a bit more. This is my only criticism, though. Probably another minor one, was that some parts were a little too repititious, and I agree with badnitrus on that.

Otherwise, a great display! I liked it. It was pretty intense in most parts and there was great colour and synchronozation! Great music and effects, especially the 2 towers. They worked very well and were original, and it kinda reminded me of the Portuguese ring! Good thing the rain didn't come! We were spared and it looks like the chance stayed alive!

And yes, you're right, the competition is quickly coming to a close! Seriously, it's going too fast! And what an intense year it was, so far! I'm anxious to see who the winner will be, although there's still 3 firms to go. I feel bad for the judges!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 14, 2004 20:59:28

Hi,
I too was worried about the weather. But they were very lucky. The evening was enjoyable! I don't like it when it's too hot and humid.

Anyway, I realized I didn't compare Holland with Spain in details, because I think they are a different kind of show. Holland was this whole futuristic concept show. And Spain had more tradition and scale to it. But I suspect the judges will appreciate the complexity of Holland's display more than Spain (or even Italy for that matter), but it does take a finale like Caballer and Ipon to leave a long lasting impression on us, since it's what we remember more vividly when we look back at it. But Holland's concept was just unforgettable.

This year we're only getting the best of the best, I'll miss that next year!

Posted: Jul 14, 2004 21:04:51   Edited by: Enkil

first i will start with the weather, i think i must discuss about this, me and Smoke talked about it so much these days, all those threats
can u believe it!?
u can really never trust meteorologists, NEVER!

now, as for the review
ill start with the bad parts

badnitrus has already named them

1. theres parts that were too repetitive
2. those repetitive parts did not have originality, it was simply an "original fireworks bomb", they lost creativity there
3. im sure u will remember this one, u know those huge fireworks that they used, like brownish, well i thought it was extremely repetitive, i thought maybe u could use some other style, instead of using the same thing, come on!
4. 4th would be the final, not very lasting, it did toke alot of space in the sky, but not long enough, if there was a surprise final (like Spain) that would have been great

this was very interessing display, those 2 towers were well used and original, it thought it would have been better if it was bigger
i can tell u there was some creativity, with alot of special effects, i was lucky that i went on the bridge, becuz i believe the best parts were the lower parts

very good music, and it went well with the fireworks throughout

where would i classify Hollands display? hrm, hard to say
u know i wish Spain wouldnt suffered from those technical problems, and fixed all the silly problems (narration..etc) cuz personnaly i think Spain should be leading, but the judge wont agree, its like refusing a big winner to win, but i know its not the case

if i take out Spain, i say Holland slightly surpasses Italy, or maybe it would be equal, cuz i believe Italy had a great GREAT final!

Posted: Jul 14, 2004 21:28:27   Edited by: Smoke

Well, I just love it when it's hot and humid, especially in the evening! I love everything to do with the summer! Heat, sizzle, haze, humid, moist.....you name it! I would love everyday to be 30+ and lows in the mid 20s, overnight!

Anyways, when I compare Spain and Italy to Holland, I think Holland was more original and probably the most unique approach, so far. Using those two towers made it seem futuristic and there dipslay in general, was to that effect!

Caballer and IPON were a bit more complex, on the other hand. They also had a completely different approach. I agree, though, it was the concept and approach of this display that might appeal to the judges, so I feel Holland may have the upper hand, in a sense. Like I said before, if it wasn't for the weather and the technical problems for Caballer, they probably would be way up there! I think that they had the most intense display and a killer finale! The only thing that was lacking was the synchronozation, due to technical problems and the long pauses of narration! Otherwise, the most intense and complex display, by far!

Holland was also intense throughout with various different effects, but a weak finale. Just not enough to leave me breathless, like IPON and Caballer. There should've been some more build up and longivity to keep the audience excited and making them go crazy! Anyways, the concept was excellent and appealing, especially the towers. I haven't seen something so original, since the Portuguese ring! However, still a little too repititious. There were tiimes when I found too much of the same thing was being fired all over the place. I did like the colour transition, though! Well, like I said before, the title "Invasion of Colours" really suited the display well!

I also think IPON may be another appealing one. They had a lot of complexitiy, as well. This was the second best finale in my books this year! It was really good. The show itself was well done and intense, throughout, but there wasn't much originality! It was more a traditional display. They had excellent music and synchronozation, too. I loved the intensity of this display a lot.

So far, I think Holland and and Italy have the best chances contending for the platinum Jupiter. Holland could possibly have the upper hand, though. This is due to originality and concept. And I also suspect the judges will take this into consideration.

Enkil, I also agree with you! We did talk quite a bit about the weather for the past few days and yet, nothing happened! I just experienced drizzle for about 5 minutes! Nothing really happened at 10:30!

Well, like I always say about the weather, it always changes and therefore, making it hard to predict! Weather is unpredictable, especially on fireworks days!

Anyways, I totally agree with you. Spain would be the leader, in my view, if it weren't for all those problems. They were the most intense this year! I was shaking throughout that display! And to think that not all the fireworks were shot!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 15, 2004 05:11:50

Very interesting display from JNS. Unfortunately, my report won't be published until the end of the day. That's what happens when you're out with pyros who've come up from Virginia until 2:30am and have to work all day

Paul.

Posted: Jul 16, 2004 07:52:26

Paul,

I agree with your report. I read it yesturday, as soon as it was released, but I didn't have time to make some comments, unfortunately.

Anyways, I totally agree with you and the other members here. It was a different display and as I said before, it really did match their title, "Invasion of Colours." The towers were simply amazing and the way they were used with the soundtrack was amazing. It was like perfect timing. I loved its usage and integration with the display. It did make it look futuristc, like the Portuguese ring. I also loved th colour transitions in between segments and the general variety and effects used throughout. I also did notice that synchronozation was great, except maybe a little off in one part, but that's it. I loved the music soundtrack and it worked so well with the fireworks.

This display could be way up there, especially those two towers probably giving them the upper hand. Plus, they had originality and were different from the other entrants. I agree with badnitrus.

Just one thing, though. I noticed that you didn't give your own personal opinion on the finale. What did you think of it?

It started off with a bang and was good in intensity. However it just wasn't long and as intense enough. It didn't leave me in that breathless mood, like Caballer and IPON. There wasn't enough build up and found it too short. I could also tell that the majority of people around me were expecting more in the ending. This is my only criticism, though. The rest of the display was good, but a little more work in the ending would've made it perfect. Otherwise, a fabulous and unique display!

Definitely have a great chance!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.027