Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› Fireworks Photography —› AUSTRALIA DISPLAY - JULY 19, 2008
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 10:51:49

hI EVERYONE - well I was finally able to get to the same spot, that is Le Parc du Havre - and what a delightful evening it was - some members of the Lakeshore Camera Club gathered there for a BBQ - and as we got there for 4h00, it was fantastic, we had tons of space under the Gazebo - we set all our tripods and chairs along the exterior wall. We had two BBQ units and the food was amazing - wine and beer to top it all - and then the RAIN - run run run to get back and the tripods and the chairs to put securely under the gazebo roof - and 5 minutes after it is over, nice clear skies - out goes the chairs and the tripods - We must have been 16 photographers from the club - and then we start the BBQs, it smells good, lots of salads, drinks, beef chicken sausages, name it, we had it, even pizza on the grill

and so we partied and then rain again, run run run to get the equipment - and another downpour - pushing the clouds out of the way - now we were free for the rest of the evening

So here is a link to a slideshow of my images:
http://www.pbase.com/rachelita/australia&view=slideshow

or just go to the webpage:
http://www.pbase.com/rachelita/australia

and I will try to pick out 6 for Paul - I will post more here a little later.

It was a great show and a great evening - Hope you all enjoyed it too.

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 11:13:48

Rachel,

you have some great shots! Those big shells with pistils came out really well from City du Harve - the wind direction was definitely advantageous for you - for us at La Ronde the smoke was coming right at us which spoiled things somewhat.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 11:18:35   Edited by: rachelita

thanks Paul - now if you told me which of those images have big shells with pistils, I would understand more hehehe - ya the wind was going south and we were on the west side of the bridge - too bad the smoke hid the true beauty of those explosions for you guys

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 14:07:37

Hi Rachel,

Once again, thank you for these wonderful pictures - you really got quite a bit of sweet images there from your viewpoint. I really admire this perspective merely because you get the main part of the bridge, the river (and the reflections of light on it) as well as several of the rides at La Ronde as part of the background - makes great opportunities for very integral shots.

Should be interesting for Canada's performance.

Thanks again,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 15:20:13

Agreed, beautiful pictures as always Rachel. It's the colours and light reflecting in the river that I adore most aobut them.

Also, as Paul mentioned, your pictures this week really emphasize the brilliance of the product used in the display which, for those of us inside La Ronde, was partially cloaked in the smoke.

Do you know where you will be snapping photos from this Wednesday, Rachel?

Tyler

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 22:16:37

Thanks a lot trav and Tyler

As regards the Canada show, I am still looking to find someone from my friends to come with me at the Parc du Havre - the problem with that park is that it cannot be accessed by bus or metro - so unless I can go with someone on a weekday, when it ends so late, I may opt to try to shoot from the Mount-Royal which is a little closer to my home, although I have to walk down at 11h15 pm from the chalet all the way to Cote des Neiges - perhaps, I might even try to shoot from Old Montreal, which I have never done - do any of you know how it is from the road that leads to the tower there, near Bonsecours? Now with the new Bus route 515, I could easily get to old montreal, and easily get back downtown - so this might be a safer alternative

Anyone up to try Parc du Havre with me?

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 23:10:04

well it is confirmed - I will be back at parc du havre for the Canada show tomorrow night - and if it rains , well there is cover -

so when you are talking about these larger shells that are going to be used, do you mean that they will cover more space like the ones from Australia, covering my entire frame when shooting it - it is important to know so that I bring the right lens that can capture the entire explosion in one frame - I used a 70-200 and shot at 70 - so if the shells are going to be large, perhaps I only need to use the 50mmm fixed lens so I can capture the entire explosion

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020