Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› Fireworks Photography —› SPAIN WITH IGUAL - JUNE 20, 2009
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 07:21:09

What a trying experience it was to shoot the fireworks for Spain last Saturday - I hear no negative reports here about the weather conditions, but if you stood west of the bridge, well you got smoke and smoke and more smoke - it just did not move. Some were complaining that there were interruptions during the show - well believe me, I welcomed these interruptions as it allowed for some of the smoke to move on - SO this was a very disappointing night for me and my friends and everyone else around us.

It is so nice to see Bob's and Steve's images taken right there on the spot - what a variety of colors and shapes - they are just breathtaking.

So I present here whatever I was able to catch, whatever did not explode inside huge clouds of smoke -

http://www.pbase.com/rachelita/spain2009

Let's just hope that next weekend, that the wind will cooperate a little more.

Rachel

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 01:25:32

Rachel,

I hear no negative reports here about the weather conditions, but if you stood west of the bridge, well you got smoke and smoke and more smoke - it just did not move

This isn't too much of a surprise to me. At the end of my final weather report that I had posted about a day prior to the display, I stated this:

"As for the winds, they are still expected to be moderate overall at anywhere between 15-25 km/h and still mostly coming out from the Northeast. There is also some indication of wind tendency in the form of North-Northeasterlies, but regardless, you'll likely notice the smoke heading toward the bridge and to some folks on the Western banks of the river just South of the bridge."

With this in mind and given your position, you are facing the North-Northeast direction, and so the winds were slowly drifting the smoke towards those viewing in that area, unfortunately. Despite the wind speeds falling in the expected range during the 8-9:30 p.m. timeframe, it is clear that they had diminished well below the expected values approaching the countdown for the display and thereafter, which made way for the "huge clouds of smoke" to linger on for some time until the wind speeds later picked up once more. Humidity levels were also rather moderate, so that only served to allow the cloud of smoke to expand to some extent. Regardless of the wind speed, however, the smoke would still be traveling your way. At the beginning of my review for Spain, I additionally noted that the smoke was building up rapidly at the Southern end of the park and towards the bridge, which at times obscured the right end of the display for those of us watching on Notre-Dame.

Ideally, it is to the benefit of all viewers that the winds flow out from the South or Southwest while maintaining a near-moderate speed status. During Panzera's display, overall wind patterns were just that.

All that said, I see that you still managed to get some pretty good shots in! As always, your photos are much appreciated, Rachel, and I think I know which ones Paul will choose. Thanks for sharing! I'm really sorry to hear that things were so frustrating for you during the Spanish display, and I, too, hope that next week's conditions are much more convenient. I'll be sure to keep you and everyone informed.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019