Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› Argentina (Fuegos Artificiales Júpiter) Reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 2, 2005 15:38:46

Once again, you can all post your reviews here.

Like I said before, I have some slight doubts about this display, for some reason. Please say that I'm wrong!

Anyways, have fun tonight and enjoy the somewhat pleasant weather conditions. Could be a bit breezy at times, though.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 2, 2005 21:32:44   Edited by: Enkil

Well, I, for one, had a rough night and a rough weekend so far. Personally, I didn't feel like it was a fireworks day, today. Maybe it was the temperature or the lack of excitement...

Anyways, as for the display, I know a lot of people on Notre Dame street loved this one, I'm sure the same goes everyone who was watching. I have to say, I loved when they were bombarding the sky especially in the beginning like France did. The first 15 min, it was good, I was really loving it, but then... While I admit it was a good one. I still felt something was missing. Some moments were just ok, yet other moments it was shining (kinda like Australia). Other times, it was just repetitive and long. I know that it tries to intergate you into an emotional feeling, but still. The synchronization was ok, but I didn't like the choice of music (maybe in a personal level, I guess). I'm not sure, I just didn't have that same feeling as France's display.

On a brighter note, there was a lot of interesting effects. Some good creativity. But it felt "limited". Nevertheless, of course, it was a good show. They certainly know how to excite the public, like France.

As for the final, I'm going to be honest here, I didn't like it much. It was a lot like Australia, but a bit better. It sure wasn't loud enough 'cause it didn't built that sense of fear.

So far:

1. France
2. Argentina
3. Australia

Despite my little criticisms, I still believe we've witnessed great shows so far.

Posted: Jul 2, 2005 22:17:11

Hi everyone!

This was a fantastic display. In my opinion, the best show this year with a lot of nautic effects and two performers on a scene. I am going to post detailed comments tomorrow, but it was definitely a great performance!

Fred

Posted: Jul 2, 2005 22:31:05   Edited by: Smoke

Greetings,

Well, well. I have to say from what I saw tonight made me eat my words from what I said in my previous post in regards to me having doubts, and yes, I was totally wrong about what I expected from the display. The moral here is that you can never judge a country or a firm. And Paul was right, it was definitely a big setup, no doubt. From what I saw, it was anything but small. It also worked well, since it had 15 segments.

Anyways, as always, I must comment on the weather. It was pleasant all the way through the day. It seemed as if the temperature would decrease rapidly on this type of day with those clear and cleaner skies, but we stayed at where I said it would stay, which is about 21C. It was comfortable for everyone. Yet another night where that wasn't spoiled by adverse weather conditions. The wind was relatively calm and was enough to clear smoke, which had clearly demonstrated to be excessive at times, particularly from those upper massive white shells. All in all, despite not being as hot as last week, it was still enjoyed by everyone from where I watch, but I prefer it if it was hotter, like last time. This probably discouraged some people.

This representing newcomer for Argentina was really surprising to many people, especially me when I saw the vast number of products and unique effects used. There were some parts that were out of control. This is also probably one of the loudest displays I've heard in a long time.

The display, in general, was amazing and was well done throughout most of the criteria. There was probably never a part where there was no action. It was pretty intense, like France, throughout the duration of the show, though there was a slightly shorter start. Despite that, it was intense, particularly since the music choice was rapid and ongoing, in some cases. Some of the effects worked in this respect. I was also surprised to see some complexity of some segments in the context of variations. I thought some of it would be hard to attempt, especially with fast paced music, particuarly with the lasting glittering effects after the massive colorful and white shells at the higher levels. Those pieces I thought were well done.

The excitement was superbe without a doubt. From beginning to end, there was pretty much none stop action and I'm sure many enjoyed this, as there were lots I know who have, like Pierre.. There were so many parts that contain those shell of shells and the various multi-breakers. This is always a favorite to the audience and it always clearly represents excitement, not only in theme, but to the audience, too. The music was also ideal for this kind of display, not only because of rhythm and pace, but because of theme, and I think the variation between music and fireworks was interconnected in many ways, mainly because of the wide variety in some products, but not in all cases. Lots of these made the display beautiful.

The choice of music was well chosen, not only because it was my type of music, but, once again, it was right for this type of theme, particularly the soundtrack "Tango." This was ideal for the majority and complexity of this display since most of the display was related to the art of their country way to the south and mixing it with their culture. I also enjoyed the music, so it made the show very much entertaining. I also like fast paced music. The music kind of made the fireworks dance! This made it beautiful when the the glittering fountains and "kamuros," if that's what they are, were going along with the music. The weeping willows

Synchronization was good for the most part, though I felt that some parts were rather slack, from my perspective. The bottom effects were well synchronized and very tight with the music, but there were times where I felt that it was off, mainly in a couple of segments where either the music stopped and the fireworks kept going and vice versa. This may be just me, though, particularly since the music was rather fast and the noise was loud in most cases and thus hinder the connection.

The effects were superbe. I was, once again so delighted to see the use of girandolas, though I wish a few more were used. The massive white shells at the higher levels made the noise fearsome. The bright fountains, while at the bottom, made it so dramatic. Many parts followed along with the theme, ranging from excitement to serene moments, especially just before the finale. Like I said several times already, the excitement went up to its side of the bargain in many ways, especially with those massive varieties of shell of shells and those multi-breakers. Also, I must comment on those red flare sparkles that crackled. Those were amazing and really captured the audience. Also, those green lasting sparklers were great. I was always thinking they were taking on letters and trying to spell something! I don't know if you all perceived that, too. There were also many spiral effects in the latter segments, which sort of made it feel like tango! There were some use of those ball-star shells followed my massive thunderous colorful shells many times. However, I felt that many effects were redundant, particularly those big white shells at the top, though they were most welcomed! But there were other effects that could have been of more use, like the ball star shells and probably a tad more girandolas. The use of one of the La Ronde rides, which I think was of use near the end (the rail train that goes around the park) was most stunning, especially right before the finale. I'm sure decent use was made of the lake, though I suspect more could have been used. Color was well distributed, however. The whole display was colorful and blended in nicely.

In regards for the finale, it was intense and lengthy, but way too redundant, especially only splitting up with two types of fireworks, coconut trees and bright sparkles. It was really intense and LOUD, but some intensity was missing with the lack of color and variation. The build up was excellent, but people were expecting a bit more, but it was pretty good in other major aspects. I was rather hoping for it to start of with those shell of shells and then building up with those massive chest thumping white and colorful shells at the top, as well as tons of salutes at the bottom.

Despite all being said, here's my personal ranking. I put color and effects as different categories so it's easier to follow:

Synchronization: 8/10-since I felt that some parts were off, particularly in some segments when the fireworks kept going when music stopped.
Color: 10/10-Flawless colors which worked well with both excitement and serene moments.
Effects: 7.5/10-Mostly because of redundancy with some effects and the lack of some other ones that could have been used more.
Choice of music: 9/10-though this is about preference, but I personally thought that it worked well with this type of display and was ideal for the theme.
Finale: 7.5/10-Excellent build up and tons of noise, but no variation and color like that of France's. Too much repetition.
Overall: -8.4/10

Overall, an excellent and exciting display, for which I underestimated. It was well more than what I expected before I embarked to downtown. The weather was cooperative and there were a fair number of people, not as much as last time, but still quite a bit. After I left, I said to myself "Now that was tango!" It truly was a very artistic and authentic display, espeically the way they represented their culture through various techniques of art and concept which really made the display pivotal. The only thing about one part was the part before the ending, which felt like the serene segment, with those sparkling, lasting shells, should have been used elsewhere in the display, not before the finale. This is a minor criticism, though. However, I still rank the Groupe F display slightly higher that this one mainly because of representation and overall appreciation. Like Enkil said, it was similar to that of France's display, but the feeling was different.

Well, that's my review. I'm looking to hearing from the rest of you later today!

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 07:11:57

My report is now up. I thought the synchronization was flawless throughout. However, there were a lot of nautical effects used which would only have been visible from La Ronde - including the pair of Tango dancers.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 08:35:28

Paul,

I agree that they're definitely contending for a prize. I sincerely loved the music. It's funny how you also thought that the fireworks were dancing with the music! It was so true, especially with the various speeds of music. The serene moments were so dramatic and everything else went so well, though I felt synchronization was a little slack in a couple of areas, but, once again, this may be because of the noise and the distance of the music from which I could hear. Despite that, however, I did feel a lot of things were redundant.

Regardless of those criticisms, I enjoyed this display all the way through. It was definitely my type of display with all that action in the air and all that noise and barely giving us a break. In this respect, it was a lot like Groupe F and, as Enkil said, they really know how to excite the audience. There was so much intensity and noise that it was incredible at some times. The connection between serene and exciting moments were apparent and that made it dramatic and gave you that impression.

This display reminded me of Spain in 1992 for some reason. The whole display was really exciting with many nice effects, but the end was sort of lacking in color and didn't have much variation.

Anyways, I'm more than certain that Argentina will be on the podium, along with France. But, we still have six competitors to witness.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 12:15:32

yes. the fuego artificiale jupiter is look like Australia. especially the final. still kamuro but the detonation of the bomb was powerful. in spite of Thursday there were 7 shell of 125mm which was stolen and found at longueuil in a park laurier !!!!

congratulation fuego artificiale jupiter

jérome

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 13:22:28

Is Fuegos Artificiales Jupiter a prophetic name? This third recruit of the 21th Montreal International Fireworks Contest is definitely a serious candidate to win a Jupiter prize. Due to a clear sky, low humidity and the largest crowd inside La Ronde this year, producing a terrific atmosphere in the park, it was a perfect evening to enjoy the show. As some participants discussed yesterday in another thread of this forum, I had not been impressed by the press release edited by La Ronde early this week. However, my expectations grew up when I saw the setup a couple of hours before the show and all these lake-oriented barrels. The reaction from the audience was the most enthusiastic this year with a standing ovation right after the final segment. I believe that there are many reasons for this positive response.

First, Fuegos Artificiales Jupiter has used the lake many times throughout the show, displaying several water-based effects. On top of many nautical strobes and the great carpet produced in the fourth part, the nautical fountains from which comets rose and fell on the water to sparkle again were spectacular. And I really enjoyed the large, massive and powerful nautical bombs in the final segment.

Second, in addition to these nautical effects, a wide range of pyrotechnic pieces were used, as Paul’s report attests. This is a major difference with the repetitive patterns which were a weak component of australian and french displays. On this point, I have to add the noteworthy richness of colours. For instance, a lot of strobes, stars and comets with colour changing were launched in this show. Material also included three hemisphere-shaped setup pieces on ramp 3 and a long fall tight above the second ramp. The latter was not as high and spectacular as Weco’s fall in 2000 and 2004 (using two cranes), but it fitted well.

Third, the synchronization was perfect. I was taking notes throughout the show and I have written some words about this component several times, including at the end of some segments, when light and music exactly ended at the same time. I refer again to Paul’s report for all the note-synchronized effects. During all this 30-minute display, intensity of pyrotechnic performance was perfectly matching with the beat of music. On this point, I must emphasize the massive barrage of shells of serpents, a fantastic design well-harmonized with the furious beat of the tango. On the next segment, nautical strobes, the long fall and other slow falling strobes created a good mix with a more serene music.

The thematic about tango has not been showed only by a good and original soundtrack, but also by two dancers. People located at La Ronde with a direct view on the lake could enjoy their performance produced on a floating platform. They danced during the eighth and ninth parts and were in evidence by two searchlights. This was an interesting and original addition to develop a theme and was a demonstration of the effort made by the argentinian team. It is the second time this year that human performers are included in a show. Last year, the pyrotechnic acrobats of Circus Orange were included in the off-competition opening show and a live orchestra played music for the german display. Is this human component a new trend? I do not know, but I really appreciate these experiences. They are not always successful, but this is a typical feature of a laboratory and this is what La Ronde is for pyrotechnicians.

A minor criticism is about the 20-second delay between the end of the official countdown and the first pyrotechnic pieces. During this first segment, no firework has been launched. But the contestant should not be concerned by that. I was with a group of four people including three former judges (excluding myself). Nobody believed me after the show when I reminded that a delay had been experienced! There were so many effects during this display that they have forgotten this problem. So I guess that most of the jury forgot too. Moreover, when many large blue shells were exploding in the sky during the part 13, a couple of them blew up near the ground on the first ramp, probably behind one of the concrete walls, but this small problem should be without consequence for the evaluation.

Finally, I noted that a man in charge of public relations for Fuegos Artificiales Jupiter has been invited to deliver a speech during the official ceremony. His message was simple and, for sure, without repercussions. However, I strongly disagree with that. I believe that it is the first time that a contestant has an opportunity to talk to the audience which, of course, includes the jury. In my opinion, it is important to keep the jury free from a corporative discourse on which La Ronde has no control. It would be a better idea to give one minute to each winner for a short speech within the framework of the closing ceremony. And I guess that likelihood are high that an Argentinian would go behind the microphone!

Fred

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 13:25:54

Trav,

I appreciate your exhaustive reports! However, I want to inform you that La Ronde's Minirail has not been used for this display.

Best regards,
Fred

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 13:58:06

Fred,

the Argentinian Ambassador was supposed to deliver a speach during the cermonies but, unfortunately, he was stuck in traffic and did not make it to La Ronde in time. He was present, however, in the Salon des Artificiers after the display. I believe the person who ended up giving the speach was asked to do this at very short notice.

Also, I also can confirm to Trav that the minirail was certainly not used in the display.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 3, 2005 19:12:32

Hey guys!

Here are the only few comments I can share about this last firework display, given by Argentina. First of all, I started on the wrong foot, because I was late to the fireworks. Saturday was my mother's birthday, so we all went to Magog to walk around the lake and then, went to the restaurant. We stayed longer than planned, so this is the reason why I got on the bridge late. I had a lot of problems finding a parking space, so I ended up being parked on Avenue du Parc Lafontaine, the street on the Western part of the park, close to Rachel!!! When I locked the car doors, it was 10pm sharp and I started to hear the fireworks exploding! I started to run towards the bridge, not wanting to miss a thing, but I knew I had a long way before I could see clearly. While I was running/walking fast, I was looking up towards the bridge, trying to see the display, but the view was blocked either partially or totally by buildings and trees. When I got to the bridge, it was 10:15, so I had already missed half of the display

I continued walking until I reached the section just before the huge metal structure over the bridge and I decided I would stop there and get ready to record the finale! So this is the reason why I don't have much comments about the Argentina team, since I have missed most of the first 15 minutes, viewing only bits of it between buildings, while I was breathing heavily from the constant running....LOL

Through what I could hear and see, it seems like the first 15 minutes were great....this confirmed by what you all said in here. About the finale, I have to agree with you Enkil, as I was a bit disappointed by the lack of intensity. The "coconut trees" were very beautiful and the intensity got higher, but never to a point to make me excited. Anyway, I got to record the finale, but I had accidentally set the camera (without noticing) to the "internal memory" which doesn't have much space......so I don't have the finale in its entirety I have to say though, that only a few seconds of the end is missing, so not much missing Also, it is very clear and I did not move much, almost as if I had a tripod On viewing, I noticed that I had recorded the lamp post (you'll see on the right), so it does distract the eye while watching....sorry about that!

I do agree with Enkil about his ranking of the countries.....

1. France
2. Argentina
3. Australia

.....although I have missed half of Argentina's display. Maybe I shouldn't be judging Argentina, having missed a big part of it.

I am sorry about your rough weekend, Enkil. I just hope that today (Sunday) was much better to you!

As for Trav., thank you so much for your extensive message, giving all the tiny details about the display. In this way, even though I was late to the display and missed part of it, I can see and imagine what I have missed, through your eyes and writings! Thank you so much, my friend!

OK.......have a great week everyone and talk to you later!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 4, 2005 08:54:21   Edited by: Smoke

Jerome,

I'm glad you enjoyed the display, too! I agree with what you felt with the finale, as well, but the overall performance was near perfect, like France. We already witnessed 2 excellent shows and we can clearly see how difficult it's going to be this year.

Frederick and Paul,

Yes, thanks for the clarifications. I honestly thought there was use made of the Minirail in the 13-14 segment. When I saw that long line of bright flares stretching, my thoughts immediately turned to that, but I guess it wasn't, as you both indicated. I also agree with most of your comments in your report, Fred. I'm also happy that you liked mine, though it's not as accurate as yours! It's also always greatly appreciated to have commnets from a former judge, since you have experience.

Pierre,

Well, I'm happy that you at least saw half of the display, though the first half had most of the action. But at least you still got an idea in the second part. I can imagine when you were running frantcially! But I'm happy you made it, at least. And tell your mother happy belated birthday from me. You should have treated her to the fireworks disply for her birthday. I'm sure she would have loved it!

Anyways, Pierre, I'm glad that you liked my report and I'm more than happy to know that it was useful to you for the parts that you missed.

As for recording the finale, I'm happy to know that you captured more than 90% of it! Look on the bright side, you captured France's ending! Sorry to say, there wasn't any, or many, if any, salutes during the display, however that was quickly rectified with those gigantic shells which made it sound like salutes! So, no big deal.

And yes, overall, I agree with both you and Enkil about the latest rankings:

1-France
2-Argentina
3-Australia

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 05:54:01   Edited by: fredbastien

Thank you, Paul, for the info about the last ceremony. I found strange that Michel Lacroix did not invite a diplomatic official from Argentina before introducing us to the argentinian crew... Now, the situation is clearer!

I appreciate this new feature (having a diplomatic representant before each show), which started last year. It is more interesting than the traditional speeches made by the sponsors.

Fred

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 08:31:23

Bonjour le monde

Wow....je n'avais pas d'attentes particulières de cette nouvelle firme Argentine.J'étais bien installé sur le pont sur la rampe qui descend vers la Ronde. Je n'ai rien manqué.Je ne reprendrai pas les commentaires entre autre de paul avec lesquels je suis 100% d,accord. J'ai vraiment été impressionné par la qualité de cette présentation et ce à tous les points de vue.Une mise en scène vraiment bien rytmée , équilibrée,imaginative, une intensité savamment dosée pour garder l'intérêt des spectateurs et la maintenir jusqu'à la toute fin. Bref un grand feu d'artifice lequel j'en suis certain a été préparé de longue date.
Comme le mentionnait Enkil dans son mot les centaines de gens près de moi ont acclamé la prestation de Fuegos.
Voilà une firme qui peut espérer monter sur le podium.
Mon classement à date;

1- Argentine
2- France
3- Australie.

J'ai bien hâte de voir le reste. Cà va être bon.
Vive les feux d,artifices de Montréal.

Roger

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 12:26:40

Hey Trav!

Thank you for those wishes meant for my mother...that is very nice of you! As for treating her to the fireworks, she doesn't have the ability to enjoy that anymore and on top of that, it would have been too late in the evening for her! She enjoyed the day that we spent together nonetheless.

I viewed the Argentina finale that I have recorded and I am sure that only a few seconds of the end are missing, so it's not too bad......and since there wasn't really a build up to the finale, I don't mind having missed those "not so precious" last seconds! As you said, at least I have the best finale (France) so far on my camera! I am happy to learn that no salutes were present during the first half.......(sigh of relief)......but I just can't wait for future displays, specially finales, to be jam packed with thunderous salutes! LOL God I love those so much....there could never be too many of them in the sky as far as I'm concerned!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 12:59:34

Pierre,

Well, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that. But, at least you made her day by being with her. That's better than anything else.

As for the finale, don't worry about it. It wasn't as impressive compared to that of France. And you have a good portion of it, regardless. And your efforts are most welcomed by everyone here, especially me.

And lets hope the next finales will be bombarded with salutes and lots of color with length!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021