Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› Next... Portugal!
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 17, 2005 08:06:28

Now, the next entrant is Grupo Luso Pirotecnia from Portugal. I believe that this is one of the most serious contestant this year. Winner of the Silver Jupiter in 2002, they presented an incredible display, technically strong and artistically original. Do you remember all these special effects produced throughout the show, with a giant ring suspended to a crane? It was a tragedy that the 12-member jury (the smallest popular jury in the history) did not give the Gold Jupiter to this firm in 2002.

So I expect a very creative display, with many surprises, and a well-executed one. I strongly believe that this firm has all requisites to jump to the highest position of the podium. Less than 96 hours and we will see what is, from my point of view, the most anticipated display of the year!

Fred

Posted: Jul 17, 2005 10:36:45

It sounds promising, Fred!

Their performance in 2002 was grand! I'm sure we'll be in for a strong one this year, as well.

The firm in 2003 representing them, however, wasn't such a big effort, in my opinion.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 19, 2005 09:22:26

Here's the press release:

News For immediate release

Portugal at the International des Feux Loto-Québec at La Ronde
Winner of the Silver Jupiter in 2002,
Grupo Luso Pirotecnia promises a grandiose pyromusical performance allying tradition and innovation

Montréal, July 19, 2005 — At 10 p.m. this Wednesday, July 20, the International des Feux Loto-Québec at La Ronde welcomes the seventh competing firm in the race for the Jupiter trophies: Portugal’s Grupo Luso Pirotecnia, which is competing for the second time in Montréal after taking home the Silver Jupiter in 2002. This time out, the Portuguese team will be looking to win over jury members with Ritmo, a large-scale musical fireworks performance that will explore a diversity of rhythmic styles that are sure to delight the thousands of spectators watching from the La Ronde site and from all over Greater Montréal. It promises to be a one-of-a-kind experience for the senses!

Helmed by designer Vitor Machado, the artisans of Grupo Luso Pirotecnia will be presenting Ritmo, an uplifting performance that will include a variety of pieces they have manufactured themselves for the occasion.

The Portuguese team’s performance will be divided into four segments, each devoted to a different rhythm and ingeniously combining typically Portuguese pyrotechnical pieces and visual effects with rhythms from all over the world, from Japanese taiko drumming to Brazilian tempo to the bombast of Beethoven’s Fifth.

In a bid to stand out from the other teams in competition, the Portuguese team has added a number of highly original elements to its show: for example, at the very start, spectators at La Ronde’s Place du Canada will be absolutely spellbound by the amazing artistry of two performers who, perched on two floating stages specially set up for the occasion, will execute shadow puppetry on giant screens.

In tribute to Portuguese tradition, part of the show will be given over to a harmonious interplay of report shells and other pyrotechnical pieces, sounding as if they were themselves musical instruments. Against this minimalist musical background, the fireworks will sing their celebration of the beauty of rhythm in the darkened skies over Montréal.

As well, rotating fountains installed directly on the water’s surface will be employed to add movement and rhythm to the performance. Lastly, during the fourth and final segment of Ritmo, they will help create a unique spherical pyromusical effect that can shoot a variety of fountains, comets and roman candles simultaneously in a 360° radius.

Since its founding in 1995, the consortium GRUPO LUSO PIROTECNIA has figured prominently in high-profile events in its native Portugal, and has won 10 major fireworks prizes internationally. The consortium enters five or six fireworks competitions annually to perfect its art and show off its ability to put on both traditional and pyromusical shows on a large scale. After winning a Silver Jupiter with its first-ever appearance in Montréal in 2002, and taking first place at the prestigious Cannes competition in 2003, the LUSO PIROTECNIA team is here to pay tribute to the rhythms and harmonies that form the pulse of our planet, day after day.

Posted: Jul 19, 2005 10:07:49   Edited by: fredbastien

Reading this press release fuel the suspense! I loved Luso Pirotecnia's giant ring in 2002, but I would have been a little bit disappointed if I read that there are going to repeat the same thing. I feel that Luso Pirotecnia understand that they have to present, again, something new. I am very excited by these anticipated performers, water-based rotating fountains and this spherical effect which should shoot different pieces and which looks very original.

Paul, do you know if the latter is a shell-of-shell (or, more exactly, a shell-of-fountains-comets-and-candles) or a setup piece?

Fred

Posted: Jul 19, 2005 11:07:41

I think the effect they are talking of is more of a set piece rather than a special shell. I have an idea how it will work - think of the ring they did in 2002 but mounted horizontally rather than vertically. That's my guess anyway.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 19, 2005 11:09:53   Edited by: fredbastien

Paul, I just see that the French-version of the press release is clearer on this point.

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/July2005/19/c2704.html

"(...) ils créeront un effet pyromusical sphérique tout à fait inusité à partir d'une STRUCTURE qui permettra de tirer une variété de fontaines, de comètes et de chandelles simultanément sur une circonférence de 360 degrés." (Capital letters are mine.)

So, I conclude that it is a setup piece. I suppose that it will be suspended over the firing ramp (or the lake!) with 1 or 2 crane(s).

About the performers, the creation of "shadow puppetry" ("ombres chinoises" in French text) on a giant screen is promising. The effect should not look as small as the dancers or the acrobats in Argentinian and French displays.

I am very thrilled!

Fred

Posted: Jul 19, 2005 19:49:44

This should be an interesting display. Once again, we seem to have performers. This year seems to be collecting them.

Judging from the release, we should be in for a treat and I suspect that we'll be seing some nice variety of colors and authenticity. This is also from what I got from the information section.

I'm also hoping for a promising finale.

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020