Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› Portugal (Groupo Luso Pirotecnia) reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 15:44:00

Hey there!

Well, as always, post your reviews here.

Perfect weather will prevail this evening and no rain threats, for once.

Also, it will be an authentic display, as I've read.

I'm hoping to see a great finale and an original display. I also look foward to that ring.

Anyways, I'll have a review tomorrow and some brief comments tonight.

Enjoy the show, guys.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 15:51:16

hello trav , is jerome
the weather is perfect and the firms also.I'm hoping to see a big,loud,long and colored finale.

good fireworks display trav

jérome

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 21:04:01

Hey guys,

I just got back from what I call a pretty decent display, but I thought it could have been a bit better, well, according to my expectations.

However, this display was very surprising to me in which it was represented. The music and the fireworks is something to take into serious account for this display in particular.

In any case, a different approach, though I felt that things were missing.

I'll have a full review tomorrow, after I get a nice sleep. I sort of took Portugal as an early birthday present since tomorrow is my birthday.

Good night!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 21:27:22

Trav,

you're very insightful. Indeed, it was a very different approach from what we're used to. Some people will be disappointed because it was outside of their normal expectations but I can tell you that all the professional pyrotechnicians I spoke to *loved* this show because if its creativity. However, some of this may not have been evident for people who weren't fortunate enough to be at La Ronde.

Expect my report by the end of the day tomorrow as I have a busy one coming up.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 22:40:33

How conservative the 2005 jury is? I believe that the answer to this question is a major issue to predict Luso Pirotecnia's score. This excellent display was very innovative, experimental, creative. I liked the performers at the beginning, the part on Beethoven's music, the effects produced with the spherical structure and, of course, the finale! But the middle segment, "Ritmo", is more problematic. Exhaustive comments tomorrow.

Fred

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 07:08:06

It's very hard to predict how the jury will react. I suspect that they will be put off by the avant garde nature of the display.

As for the "Ritmo" segment, I thought it was truly inspired but I fear that many people will not have "got it". This 2 minute segment was choreographed in a very clever way. A drum track was taken and all the drums removed except for the cymbals (which could be heard throughout the segment). Then three different sizes of salutes were used to represent the different drum sounds and to help accentuate the rhythm. MagicFire electronic timers were used to get the timing perfect. Personally, I thought it worked extremely well - but I "got it" right away. Part of that is my cultural background - I lived in Portugal for 18 months where rhythmic salute-based daytime displays were very common. Different sized salutes are used to represent different "tones" and this is exactly what Luso did in this segment.

I guess we'll see on July 30th how well the jury understood this display. I will complete my full report later on today - including mention of the "evolution of the ring" used in the finale to great effect.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 08:30:11

Paul,

Thanks for posting your brief comments, as well as you, Fred. I enjoyed this display in many areas, particularly with the loud firefly cracklers and the volleys of salutes, as well as the lower salutes that made that unique echo. This is segment, in particular, felt as if the fireworks were the music. This is a very big plus in terms rhythm. I personally enjoyed it.

Though the finale was not to my expectations, it was very dramatice with those frequent color changes. It reminded me of U.S.A 2003 somehow.

Just one question, were there any nautical effects? I didn't notice any, but I did see some flashings at times in the bottom, but I cannot confirm if those were nautical effects.

Anyways, I'll have a review later today or even tomorrow since I will be busy for my birhtday, but I can tell you all that this display has a serious chance of being up there. However, my thoughts are still with Sweden.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:19:07   Edited by: Enkil

Yesturday night's weather was very comfortable. I was surprised that it wasn't very humid. A perfect night for this very anticipated firm. Their 2002 performance is one memorable display that I can not forget. I must say, this one wasn't better, but it wasn't bad either!

For this review, I will first talk about the whole display without the finale segment. I believe that the finale segment was something else.

The beginning was just slow, not to mention repetitive. In fact, I found the whole display very repetitive. Yet, it was a very different and an original approach. But I ask myself if these repetitive parts were well integrated... I have no doubt in my mind that some very repetitive segments were well done, example the salute segment. However, I found that other segments were well just annoying repetition. And now I realized that reptition can be used in an intelligent way... But I still prefer not to see this happening in this competition where creativity in crucial. It can show some lack of creativity. On the other hand, there were many interesting and captivating segments which were very original. BTW, as for the segment were there was suppose to be a "fireworks music", well I was waiting for it to see, but I didn't catch it. In fact, all along, I was hearing music from the radio. Whatever was that. I consider it as a failure, but it won't affect my ratings. Also, the synchronization was good...When I don't have much to talk about something, it usually seems that it was good.

Ok, now for my favorite and most amazing part of the show was of course the finale segment. That sphere was just brilliant, BRILLIANT! It was perfectly sized, not too big and not too small, just like a disco ball. It's hard for me to decribe how I felt during that moment. But I can tell you that I got goosebumps and for some reason my heart was beating faster . That was just intelligent! So well done!!! Though, I was hoping that maybe they could have used it during the whole display, it would have been more excisting! I also wanted it to be filled with different pieces rather than (again!) repetitive ones. So in a sense, this innovating idea could have been better!

And finally the finale. How could I forget what they did in 2002? I was left speechless! But unfortunately, this display had a disapointing finale. A great segment that just didn't end as good as I was wishing. You see, already the sphere and the music were building in me a sense of excitement... It was OK in length, but really not intense .

Speaking of finales, this year they were really disapointing. It seems to me that the firms aren't taking them very seriously any more. It's unfortunate because they're the public's favorite part. Only France had decent finale!

Anyways, back to Portugal's display. If I didn't have to witness the repetitive parts and a "cheap" finale, this display would have hit the #1 spot in my ratings. But I, for one, can't wait to see them back in Montreal! Fascinating firm! Just wonderful!!!!

Here's are my ratings for the displays so far:

1. Sweden
2. France
3. Portugal
4. Spain
5. Argentina
6. Australia
7. Czech Republic

Generally based on how I felt and what I liked best.

And for my finale ratings (I did a little modification after watching Australia's and Czech's finale on video):

1. France
2. Sewden
3. Spain
4. Portugal
5. Argentina
6. Czech Republic
7. Australia

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:38:58

the final is great,loud,colored
8/10 luso pyrotechnics

jérome

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 12:50:03   Edited by: fredbastien

As I wrote last night, Grupo Luso Pirotecnia’s display was very innovative, original and sophisticated. Once again, I believe that the audience was surprised by this Portuguese team, though some people were disappointed regarding some parts of the show, especially the Ritmo segment, the most experimental with almost no pre-recorded music. Since I have many things to share with you about this show, I am going to proceed chronologically.

Having spending a couple of minutes near the diving pool to enjoy the Swimming World Championship and to monitor Émilie Heymans’ performance, I reached La Ronde at 6:15pm. Many people are actually in holiday and the crowd was maybe the largest this year. At this time, the setup was completed and the pyrotechnicians were working to move up and down the spherical structure.

In opposition to the 2002 Portuguese ring, the sphere (in fact, it was a semi-spheric structure since the back side was straight) was not directly suspended to the crane, but to a small horizontal structure which was related to the crane. The latter structure was stable and it supported an elevator system, which was operated by remote control or a similar technology, to vertically move the spherical structure. During most part of the show, the sphere was near the ground (behind the fourth ramp) and could not be seen by the audience. Moreover, two main cables in an inverted-V shape were suspended from the crane to the ground. Several secondary cables were vertically attached to these main cables. Photoflashes used in the fifth segment of the show (Ritmo) were fixed to these cables.

The setup also included two floating platforms located on both sides of the lake, at the right and the left of the Silver section. Semi-circular white screens and spots were installed on these platforms to produce the shadow effect. Floating pieces were also fixed on the water, between the two platforms. Of course, many other pyrotechnic pieces were installed across the four ramps. That is for the setup.

To start this highly anticipated display, two performers located behind the semi-circular screens began their movements. They acted as musicians who strike on a drum. Each touch with an extremity of the screen was well-synchronized with the percussion from the first musical segment, Kyosul. Throughout the first 60 seconds of the show, only the performers could be seen, without any pyrotechnic effect. Then, red Niagara falls appeared in the sky, while the performers were continuing their movements up to the end of the first part.

For the third time this year, human performers were integrated to a pyromusical show and I am happy to see this innovation again. For once, this did not create a diversion from the pyrotechnic since there was no firework. However, this was a little bit anti-climactic. Sixty seconds without firework is a long time. It would have been great to see small pyrotechnic effects, not enough to create a diversion, but just to add a firework component. For instance, it would have been interesting to fix some gerbs to the semi-circular screen. In the same way than the percussion-synchronized gerbs attached to the towers in the Swedish show, it would have been possible to synchronize this small pyrotechnic effects with the performers’ movements.

Then, I found the third segment very enjoyable. The powerful musical effect of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony was appropriately synchronized with massive gold mines. What I appreaciated in this segment is the cohesion of the pyromusical design, since the same pyrotechnic effects were exactly reproduced when the corresponding musical sequences played again. It was also the case in other segments, but more evident in the third part of the show. Many go-getters and crossettes could be seen during this segment. Approaching the end, a lot of green, yellow, blue and red crossettes danced in the sky. The synchronization was perfect throughout the segment.

Was the fourth segment a prelude to Ritmo, the following part? It included many pieces with crackling photoflashes. I found a little bit strange a long sequence of mines producing several stars, which combined multicolour mines with silver mines. First, I believed that is was a technical problem but, after a moment, I understood that it was not. Throughout this sequence of mines, other clackling photoflahes continued to explode.

Then, the Ritmo segment with a minimalist music, I guess a kettledrum music. A lot of strobes and crackling photoflashes exploded during this segment, in the sky from left to right, left to right and left to right again, and below along the vertically suspended cables. This effect ended in a perfect synchronization with the kettledrum when white gerbs (?) exploded along the main cables, near the top of the crane.

I am happy that Luso Pirotecnia has presented this experimental segment in Montreal. As I have written many times, the Montreal International Firework Contest is a great opportunity to try new concept and to push away the limits. However, I was not very enthusiast regarding the Ritmo segment and some of my friends and relatives strongly disliked this segment. It is true that this part of the show was short, but it looked longer since the previous segment also included several crackling effects. I believe that this two-segment sequence, with so many crackling strobes and photoflashes, was excessive.

The Portuguese performance continued with Dupéré’s Kunya Sobe, which had been included in the Czech display. I want to emphase a very beautiful piece, similar to a gold kamuro which burns a couple of seconds, then produces a short white comets (or serpent).

The penultimate segment was very interesting. The spherical structure had been discreetly moved up and it appeared by producing small strobes. Then, the lake was almost covered by the white rotative nautical fountains to whirled on the water. This was fantastic and, as I can remind, we have never seen it before at La Ronde!

Finally, our attention was directed toward the sphere again, as mines exploded almost simultaneously on opposite sides of the structure, almost note-synchronized with the drum. Almost...

Then, I was overtaken by the most incredible sequence of mines! A first massive barrage of mines exploded at the buttom of the sphere, launching several stars toward the ground. It was followed by another massive barrage of multicolour mines, exploding excentrically on both sides of the spherical structure very, very quickly. This outstanding sequence of mines has been repeated a couple of times. I am sure that we will read in Paul’s report a big WOW about that!

The finale was very exciting too, causing new WOW, with many barrages of shells of stars. The show ended with a last fantastic sequence of mines from the spherical structure, followed by gold mines on a firing ramp and two barrages of salutes, the latter after the end of the music, which is never synonymous with a perfect synchronization.

It would be a shame if Grupo Luso Pirotecnia is not going to go on the podium this year. Unfortunately, I do not think that the Portuguese team will win the Gold Jupiter. Synchronization was not entirely perfect, the variety of pyrotechnic products could be a little bit wider, no firework were launched during the first 60 seconds and the 9 segments were not really related by a common theme. But these are minor criticism and this contestant deserves a prize for many innovative components, including the shadow effect, the new nautical fountains and the spherical structure. As I write in this report, the most problematic issue is the Ritmo experience and we do not know how the jury is opened regarding this experience.

I believe that the Swedish and Argentinian teams can hope for a big party in 9 days…

Frédérick

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 12:56:04

Fred,

the shadow performers were actually illuminated by pyrotechnical flares and strobes.

My report will be completed soon.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 13:57:47

Hi Guys!

Well, Portugal was just amazing last evening! I really enjoyed their display because it was very original and also because this is not what I had expected from them. Those who were standing on both shores of the St.Lawrence, must have wondered what took so long for Portugal to send rockets in the sky in the first minute......but there were some "Ombres chinoises" (don't know how to call them in English, sorry) close to the lake.....a guy who was hitting on a drum! I thought that was nice! Throughout the show, I think we witnessed lots of original and unexpected stuff, which really surprised me. When I think of it, this is why I loved that display so much. I thought that the segment that lasted from 22:16 to 22:18 with the different salutes, was incredibly hot! Althought it was slow-paced and not very intense, it really teased me, being the salutes lover that I am. I finally decided to record it with my camera, since it made me feel excited. I only have 30 seconds or so recorded though. I just loved seeing those small salutes at the bottom, and seeing the single big one appear on top, every few seconds, marking the beat! I am not very good with pyrotechnic terms, but I will explain here, what I really enjoyed what was happening over the lake, at one point. Several of what seemed like "fire hoses" swaying from side to side and releasing golden sparkles.....as if many fire hoses were trying to wet the lake's surface with sparkles.......it was quite a spectacle! Those "fire hoses" gradually stopped shooting their sparkles, starting on the Eastern side of the lake and moving gradually towards the Western side of the Lake (Bridge side).

Another segment that I really enjoyed, was the one towards the end of the display, when an elevated ramp started to shoot multicolor sparkles downwards and upwards alternatively.....and some times both at the same time! That was very beautiful!

As for the finale, I expected something very intense and long......so I was a bit disappointed......althought I still enjoyed, specially with those salutes marking the end of the finale!!!

I agree with Enkil, as I think that the finales have not been very good this season so far, except for only two countries....France and Sweden. France's finale was the best in my opinion, because of the intensity and length that is so essential in a finale. Sweden's finale was also intense and long, but to a lesser extent, but still deserving the title of "genuine finale"! Portugal still had an interesting one, compared to the others....so here are my new rankings:

Display (First 28 minutes)

1. Sweden
2. France
3. Spain
4. Portugal
5. Czech Republic
6. Argentina
7. Australia

Finales:

1. France
2. Sweden
3. Portugal
4. Spain
5. Czech Republic
6. Argentina
7. Australia

Entire display:

1. Sweden
2. France
3. Portugal
4. Spain
5. Czech Republic
6. Argentina
7. Australia

I think that the performance of Canada next Saturday, will threaten both Sweden and France in my rankings.....and I must say honestly, that I am an impartial person!

And Trav......I wish you a Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Friday July 22nd! Imagine that on Saturday, Canada will be showing its display in your honour, to celebrate YOUR birthday! This is what I imagined on July 9th, when Sweden was showing its "savoir faire"......I pretended that they were doing it to celebrate my Birthday, which was just the day before!

So here's to you Trav, from one Cancer to the other!

Take care, everyone!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 20:47:39

Bonsoir

A l'instar des gens autour de moi j'ai adoré la prestation de cette firme du Portugal.
Dès le début de la présentation j'ai vite réalisé le risque encouru par les concepteurs du feu de Luso.Ils sont sortis des sentiers battus pour offrir au public un nouveau concept où la créativité , le désir d'innover seraient au centre de leur préoccupation.
Et ils ont tenus parole. Pour moi du rarement vu .C'en était même un peu déséquilibrant . Tu as bien raison paul de te demander comment ce feu sera recu par le jury. Cà demeurera un grand mystère jusqu'au soir de la dernière.
Pour ma part j'ai toujours dit que ce genre de performance où la créativité prend tout son sens demeure un élément majeur pour faire avancer d'une coche cette compétition internationale majeure.
Pour avoir osé Luso ..bravo .
J'étais sur le pont et je n'ai rien manqué. Mes yeux sont restés rivés sur le site .
Entre autre leur prestation sur le l er mouvement de la 5 ième de Beethoven a été fantastique à mes yeux. Faut vraiment avoir du culot pour utiliser cette musique . D'ailleurs je ne me souviens pas qu'une firme s'en soit servi depuis le début de la compétion il y a de cela 21 ans.
J'aime être ému, j'aime être surpris par un concepteur de feu.
J'ai vraiment été servi à souhait lorsque Luso dans le dernier segment du spectacle entre autre a utilisé une grue que je n,avais pas apercue avant le début et sur laquelle ils avaient placé de nombreuses pièces d'un grande luminosité d,une grande beauté aux effets surprenant.Comme les gens autour de moi j'ai lâché un grand cri en voyant cette forme multicolore qui ressemblait à un arbre vu du pont ...
De début à la fin le rytme du feu nous a amené progressivement vers le bouquet final que j'ai aussi apprécié .
Bien sur quand on se lance dans une entreprise de création artistique comme ce fut le cas hier..il y a bien des impondérables et on prend des risques. Ce courage d'aller plus loin aura été pour moi la plus grande qualité de Luso et j'espère que ce sera compris comme cà par le jury.
Bien sur, cette présentation a eu aussi ses imperfections que Fred entre autre à bien décrits dans son commentaire.
Mais globalement cette firme dans mon classement aura sa place quelque part dans les trois premiers.
Cette année le Comité a sélectionné des firmes dont la France , la Suède et le Portugal qui par leur centration sur la créativité et l'innovation dans toutes les sphères de leur présentation auront un effet bénéfique sur le futur de la déjà super compétition de Montréal.
Maintenant place au feu du Canada et à celui des USA. Ils ne sont pas venus ici pour rien et ils pourraient bousculer le classement actuel.

Bonsoir les pyro maniaques. Salutes lover..merci pour ton mot de bonnes vacances. J'adore cà.

Roger

Posted: Jul 22, 2005 10:56:45

Roger,

Il est tout à fait exact que le feu sortait des sentiers battus et que cela était quelque peu déstabilisant... Une dame qui assiste à tous les feux avec son conjoint, ancien juge, qualifiait ce feu de très "spécial" et elle ajoutait qu'il était difficile de le comparer aux autres pour cette raison. Plusieurs d'entre nous avons discuté du segment "Ritmo", où les feux devaient produire eux-mêmes la musique. Quelle a été ton appréciation de ce passage?

Paul, I have not perceived that the shadow performers were illuminated by pyrotechnical flares and strobes. Unfortunately, I am sure that the general perception was that no firework had been used during the first 60 seconds...

Trav, you are right. This finale was rather similar to the finale produced in the American display in 2003. I really appreciated the Portuguese finale: from our seats, we have the illusion to really be "in" the show with all these giant shells.

My actual ranking is (1) Sweden, (2) Argentina, (3) Portugal, (4) France, (5) Spain, (6) Australia, and (7) Czech Republic.

Fred

Posted: Jul 22, 2005 14:40:59   Edited by: Smoke

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts!

Well, typically, I'm usually the first one to get a review going! However, as I said, yesterday was my birthday, the 21st, so I had no time at all to write up this review. I thought I would in the evening, but as always, things change. But it seems that all of you have well defined explanations and views regarding this, what I call, somewhat original and quite creative display. I read through all of your reviews and I can see where the main points of emphasis were. I was truly impressed by Luso's handy work 2 nights ago. What they've done was a great attempt at choreography, and the music truly did, indeed, have a major contribution to the way the overall design was represented to the audience. I know it caught some people off track, but this original attempt gave way to incredible varieties of various effects, especially the use of many crossettes and go-getters. I will also emphasize some more details during the Ritmo segment. I felt that this was very important and the way it sort of "builded" on itself on the main theme and gave a distinct idea of many parts of the overall show.

The weather, of course, was still a pretty much stagnant heat, though much less humid and comfortable for most people. But personally, I liked that muggy type weather last week. That's my type of summer. Regardless, comfortable conditions gave way to a nice and pleasant summer evening for all of us and for this great Portuguese team! The temperatures hovered around 25-26 degrees and stayed stable till almost 1:00 A.M. Anyways, the winds were good enough to clear the smoke away, though, as Paul said, it would have been a bit more welcome at times to see other effects at La Ronde. But this took nothing away from this unique display. I, for one, was happy with the conditions and the fact that it was the third time where I didn't have to worry about any threats. The presence of high pressure was there and gave way to fair weather. Also, once again, a very large crowd. I was very surprised to see so many people. But this crowd, including all of us, got to witness something we've rarely, or never seen before, which was confusing to many, especially when we all interpret "pyromusical."

To start off, once again, another totally different display at an attempt to the overall design. This was most original with rhythm and pace, so there were times where the audience, including my family, were rather confused, especially during the Ritmo segment. More on this till the end. This display was also quite different in the way it portrayed it's colors so vividly, especially the use of the ring. This display also reminded me of Spain in terms of tradition. This was really traditional and in most cases, original. But what makes this unique between them and Spain, is the way they used the creativity concept. It was so delightful to watch various segments create an invidulal note for different effects, especially for the mines and candles, and, of course, the Portuguese ring. However, my only disappointment was the fact that there wasn't a huge variety of effects and colors, especially when we compare it to a display like Czech Republic and Sweden. Some of the products were also quite repetitive.

The hemisphere during the opening show was brilliant, as Enkil said. I barely noticed it until I looked to my far right. When I saw it, I was amazed and astonished. It was then understandable to me why the first selected soundtrack was a Japanese choice. It worked well with this type of approach, especially with the drums that you all talked about. It must've been nice! However, this did feel anti-climatic since there wasn't much action in the sky for practically a whole minute which really gives people the wrong impression. Paul was right, we did see a lot disappointment to people along the river banks during some parts in the show. There was a girl next to me who said "Je n'aime pas!" Well, I can understand why she felt this way and I honestly don't blame her, but we must understand how this display was designed, though I found the pause at the beginning too long. The first parts of the display were rather quiet, even with some of the launched red crossettes, but this was rather interesting in some perspectives, especially with the serene music. I also did notice some popular and familiar effects!

I must comment on that Beethoven segment. As Paul said in his report, the sound and notes of "da da da dum" were very defined and very well MUCH distinctive with the gold glitter mines which were tightly synchronized with the music. This was actually a very enjoyable segment especially the way in which the mines were sequenced from the extreme left all the way to the right with each note. This, in turn, made the effect look as if the fireworks were the music, and this was very unique to me. There was never a time when this segment was off synchronized. The gold glittering mines were also ideal for this type of music. This was a rather lengthy segment, but was enjoyable according to timed sequence. This was similar to what Spain did in one of their lower segments. Not identical in terms of idea, but the same idea in notes.

I could tell that there was a huge amount of crossettes and shells of crossettes. Just bear with me, as there were predominant effects that contributed to how this display was demonstrated. This type of effect also made it ideal for this type of display. It also sort of linked to their main theme. They were also most incredible when used in variations with color, such as the orange, blue and green mixtures. A similar effect was with the scattered shots and the presence of the shells of go getters towards the middle levels of the sky. Another impressive and creative variation were the mixture of massive barrages of shells that burst into stars. This became more and more apparent as the pace increased with many more shells of the same and then continued to fill the sky with many colorful and scattered shots. This was particulalry exciting since it was presented at higher levels. Also, at the same time, there were many gold glittering mines followed by many colorful sequenced mines that crackled into blue and white stars. This started to become more distinguishable as the music changed in speed.

I was also happy to see silver kamuros and gold brocades that became more frequent towards the middle of the show. This made a nice impression as it trailed towards the river and lake, I assume. Not too long after that, there were many gold glittering weeping willows that started in the middle levels and then began at higher levels. This also made a nice impression as they trailed downwards. There were actually more kamuros towards one of the last segments. This was ideal for a serene moment, especially before the more "aggressive" parts prior to the ending. The "photoflashes are always welcomed by me!

The use of candles and mines were a major contributor to this display, as I've said. The way in which they were sequenced (I'll refer to the Beethovern part again) was simply incredible and it felt as if the the fireworks had a mind of their own. I got that impression several times, but sort of indirectly. The way in which they were "dancing" made it fascinating. Also, the glittering fountains were great along the bottom. The fireflies that crackled were also very much welcomed, especially with the red and white colors and the way they interated with the go-getters at times.

I must also comment on the Ritmo segment in which it was degnied with many different levels of salutes and "photoflashes", as you guys refer to them, at higher levels that made a long and loud crackling noise as they trailed downwards and still making noise. This was then followed by many salutes and more crackling photoflashes. The pace increased near the end of this rather long and very EXCITING segment. These are some my higest ranked effects and are very much enjoyed to the public, especially Pierre and all of us pyrofreaks.

This segment was probably one of the most interesting, exciting and unique effects that I've ever seen since I've been attending the competition, not only in terms of excitement, but in terms of how it created it's own "music." I honestly can't emphasize that enough. This was also a huge plus for this entire display. The way it was executed worked extremely well and totally puzzled the audience. Not just those aspects, but the idea that this segment was so long that it gave way to many enthusiastic looks! The way the salute alone were sequenced sort of made a rhythm that followed along one another and builded on each other which eventually sounded like music. This was practically a totally different approach and I suspect that this will reflect highly on their overall theme. However, I know many people were sort of off track, but it was understandable to me. It all made sense according to what they were trying to prove. I believe that this clearly represented the passion of moving our "minds, hearts and feet," as the information section dictates. Also, the lower salutes made a different sound compared to those at mid levels.

As for nautical effects, I honestly didn't notice much, but there could have been some extreme lower ones, which is responsible for some flashings that I've seen, but I can't confirm if those were nautical effects. However, I did notice some lower fountains at the bottom and in Paul's report, I did see that he stated "nautical fountains." I'm not entirely sure by this, but either way, I suspect that there wasn't huge use made of the lake, safe for the weeping willows and the barrages of kamuros in mid segments.

The choice of music was was very dispersed, in my opinion, ranging from very traditional to other thematic links, such as the Japanese soundtrack to the Beethoven soundtrack. This sort of gave us a variation of different aspects of this display. Ofyen, you can get an inidcation of how complex a display can be when the music is wide ranged. The Ritmo and Beethoven segments were personal favorites, but this is not my type of musci. But, this display worked well and the effetc cleraly showed, especially in the segments that I refered to frequently. The ranging fireflies, kamuros and weeping willows often corresponded to the lower mines, and the mines and candles in particular, made the defintion of this display, in which the way I saw it.

The ring also made a huge impression on the audience and I've never so many "whoa!, oh!, ah! and Magnifique" cheers in some time. The way the ring was sequenbced was increadible and I, too, was dazzled by its used. The extent of the way it was used was fabulous, especially with the high definition and reptitive colors! Then it would be sequenced at times making it also to create a sort of rhythm. The last silver glitters at the beginning were not as noticeable at first, especially since there were many glittering stars prior to its appearance. In any case, an incredible effort, as well as very enjoyable. I was also very happy to see it go off near the very end of the finale. The hemisphere was also apparent at the end.

Synchronization was simply incredible and I couldn't have enjoyed it anymore than I did 2 nights ago. It was truly both amazing and different, especially, once again, in which the fireworks created a rhythm of music, not only in the Ritmo part, but also in other parts where music/fireworks wasn't clear.

The effects were a sort of big problem for me. I found this display very redundant from segment to segment. There was pretty much many things that were not in variations. I know I said that this display had variations, but that was only in the way it fitted in to the display, but definitely not in the overall criteria. This sort of made some of the display boring. For example, you'd have many parts that had those crossettes and then they various other colors. But my point is that the same idea was there and I felt that many absences of products would have been more welcome. It would have also been nice to see a little more use of the hemisphere throughout the display. The ring was of excellent use, but I felt that its use should have been a little more spreaded out.

Travis' personal rankings and display criteria rankings:

-Synchronization: 9.7/10-This was incredible and very authentic in which it was executed, deserving a high score from me.
-color: 8/10-Not too much variations, but very brilliant at times, especially from the ring.
-Creativity/Originality/Concept: 8.4/10-Though I didn't find this display totally original, particularly the ring, the creativity was apparent. However, I did find a lot of effects very repetitive and sort of made things less efficient, but it did work well with this approach which is why I gave it a good score.
-Choice of music: 8.7/10-Not to my tastes, but it worked well with the display, however, it would have been nice if there was more Portuguese soundtrack.
-Finale/Overall appreciation: 8.8/10-Though not as intense as expected, and really rare this year with good finales, it had good length and was very transitional. Pierre, it was still a decent finale, so I'm happy you got it recorded, but like you and Enkil said, not as intense. I'm also happy that you decided to record a small piece of that salute segment.
Overall: 8.7/10

My personal choices for the winners:

1-Sweden
2-France
3-Argentina
4-Spain
5-Portugal
6-Czech Republic
7-Australia

My jury predictions:

1-Sweden/Argentina
2-either of the above
3-France, Spain or even Portugal

My personal choice in terms of overall excitment excluding finales:

1-France
2-Sweden
3-Czech Republic
4-Argentina
5-Portugal
6-Spain
7-Australia

My personal choice for finales so far:

1-France
2-Sweden
3-Spain
4-Portugal
5-Cezch Republic
6-Argentina
7-Australia

In conclusion, this display was highly original, but mostly in the perspectives of how it was done with music attempt. I suspect this will give thme the upper hand, however, as most of you said, this depends on if the judges saw the main idea being portrayed, so in this context, it's a hard to interpret and analyse. Though, if taken into serious account, this can definitely be on the podium. The finale was interesting and reminded me of, like I said, U.S.A of 2003. I'm glad you agree with me, Fred. The ending, however, had one main problem, that was intensity. The length was resonable, but not intense enough to make me scream. However, it was still highly enjoyable because it was very transitional with the vast and huge amounts of colors from the barrages of massive shells constantly coming at you. It was also nice to see the ring and the hemisphere in the latter. This was very dramatic and making everyone give a well deserved applause, in my opinion. Also, it's always nice to get a huge volley of salutes at the end, right Pierre?

A totally different display and I feel that it could get up there. I have some minor criticisms, besides the ending. As I said, the ring should have been used a little more throughout the display, rather than concentrated in one big piece, while the hemisphere could have been more abundant in use. But the bright and colorful mines worked well with the ring in that specific segment. I'm not exactly sure if a lot of use was made of the lake, but from my perspective, it didn't feel like much. Another thing was the rather long pause at the beginning, which really doesn't fit in, especially since it was practically a whole minute of the enthusiastic countdown. Also, the ring was not entirely original. It was excellent in 2002 and though it has significantly evolved since I remember it, it's still the same idea, so I wouldn't call it original. Finally, the display was probably the most redundant so far, especially with the use of the crossettes. All that said, I still suspect that Sweden and even Argentina would be up for first place. I also feel that this display will be fighting with France and Spain for 3rd. All that being said, I strongly believe that this was an excellent effort by Luso. A definitely tight competition this year and it's more than likely that there's going to be a lot of tension. Still an anticpated Canadian and U.S firm to go!

Thank you all for your comments!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 22, 2005 14:46:37

Sorry if there are a lot of spelling and grammar errors! I'll later go back and fix it up.

And sorry for the super late response.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 23, 2005 06:55:02

Salut Fred

En réponse à ta question concernant Rytmo.
Vu du pont..je dois bien t'avouer que je ne savais pas que ce sont les pièces pyro qui généraient la musique. J'aurais beaucoup aimé voir cà de ton banc à la Ronde pour mieux apprécier.
Comme je le mentionais dans mon dernier mot cette firme Portugaise a fait preuve de créativité, d'originalité et d'audace pendant toute la durée de leur spectacle .
Rytmo cadrait bien dans ce courant conceptuel et pas à peu près.
Toutefois de l,endroit où j'étais placé c'est un passage que je n'ai pas aimé. J'ai ressenti un certain agacement pendant cette prestation. Cà m'a fait un peu décrocher jusqu'au prochain segment.
Je me demandais bien ce qu'ils tentaient de faire.
Toutefois Fred c'est là une incertitude de la créativité .

Pour BEM j'ai pris connaissance de leur Piste sonore. Ouais.....
J'ai bien hâte de voir comment ils vont développer leur concept avec ce choix musical.
Tu sais comme moi `que Le PIED du Courant est un bâtiment historique dans l'histoire du Québec et que pour nous cà refère directement aux Patriotes de 1837 qui ont été emprisonnés et pendus par les Anglais à cet endroit pour avoir défendus les intérêts profonds de la nation québécoise.
L'idée de relater cette importante partie de notre histoire est géniale . Reste à se donner le courage de l'exposer dans le ciel et en musique sans compromis.
Personnellement j'aurais développé ce concept avec des musiques et des chansons québécoises en assumant le risque de me faire dire que je suis trop local pour une compétition internationale. L'Argentine n'a -il pas utilisé une une musique toute latino américaine??Idem pour les Chinois l'an dernier avec Erik Tucker etc ...??
Toutefois j'attends de voir et de comprendre avant de juger plus définitivement le concept intéressant retenu par BEM.

Bon feu ce soir Fred .

Roger

Posted: Jul 23, 2005 07:53:18

Bonjour Roger,

Je ne suis pas certain que tu aurais apprécié davantage le Ritmo si tu avais été assis sur mon banc! Certaines personnes, dont Paul, ont beaucoup aimé ce passage, mais cela m'a laissé sceptique et je n'ai pas vraiment accroché... Mais bon!

Quant au feu de BEM, le lien entre le choix musical et le thème n'est pas évident. Leclerc et Vigneault, ça va. Mais Mozart? Chopin? Et "Espana" en finale? Et je suis un peu inquiet pour la narration annoncée: l'intégration d'une narration à un feu est quelque chose de très délicat, comme nous le savons tous... Nous verrons dans moins de 12 heures...

Fred

Posted: Jul 23, 2005 11:05:45

Hey guys,

My review is finally edited properly with, I hope, no spelling errors. I always tend to type fast and thus make at least 20-40 mistakes with either the wrong word or just plain wrong syntax. It's truly amazing.

Pierre,

Thank you for your good wishes for my birthday, but I just want to remind you that it was on the 21st, not the 22nd. Regardless, thank you so much and I want you to know that I really appreciate it. And yes, as you said, it's always nice to get a fireworks display either before, after or on your birthday. Last year, there was one on my birthday and this year, it was the day before. So either way! Always nice to have a pre-celebration!

Anyways, yes, I must agree with you and Enkil. This is probably the first year where finales weren't the greatest and so short in number to the extent where your heart would come out of your chest. So far, only France killed me, and almost Sweden. Other than that that pretty much, so far, 1/7-2/7 good finales. However, at least we've seen some very autnetic displays, which still were enjoyable.

Lets put our faith in CANADA tonight and then, of course, the U.S.A!!

Always great to hear from you, Pierre. And thank you for your kind earlier comments in the other review thread. Always greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 23, 2005 15:58:06

I've uploaded photos of the Portuguese "dome" that was used in the finale of their display this year.

http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/ring.html

Paul.

Posted: Aug 24, 2005 05:26:12

Paul,

Thanks a lot, I was waiting to see these.

Question: In photo 3, there seems to be wires hanging vertically beside the dome. On those wires, there appears to be something attached evenly spaced along the wire, almost like a small effect of some sort. Please clarify.

Sean

Posted: Aug 25, 2005 15:41:52

Sean,

I noticed those too but I don't recall seeing anything during the display that would have been produced by those items. I'll re-watch the DVD I have and see if I can see anything.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 25, 2005 18:24:25

Those setup pics look pretty neat! It's always bigger up close, especially that sphere!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023