Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› U.S.A (Rozzis Famous Fireworks) reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 27, 2005 15:48:52

Hey guys!

Well, the final entrant/country is here, unfortunately. So so fast.

In any case, it will be a bit cool at 19-20C. Make sure to bring a light sweater, or something.

Enjoy what U.S.A has to offer. And here's hoping to a really good finale for once. This year has been so rare for good endings for the first time since I've been attending the competition back in 1990, well, except France and Sweden this year.

Regardless of that, have a good night and I suppose we'll start making our predictions as of tomorrow, or after the show tonight, for the winners.

In the meantime, post your reviews here after the show. I'll have some brief comments tonight when I get back.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2005 21:12:41   Edited by: Smoke

Well, just got back from what I call an EXCELLENT display!

I honestly hadn't felt so excited and shakin since France! This was also probably the loudest display. My ears are still ringing and somewhat blocked from the extensive noise. it still feels this way, even as I'm writing thses comments. I haven't felt that in a few years now.

The display was sort of the full package. The theme fell into place with the selected soundtrack, though maybe one or two didn't seem as fit, but the music was very enjoyable! Synchronization was excellent for the most part, though I did notice probably 2 spots where the fireworks started before the music could, I think. I also suspected that the loud salutes and massive shells would drown out the music, as it did, in my opinion. However, the louder the better, right? This display was so LOUD, especially with the extensive use of those salutes and photoflashes, not to mention those HUGE shells way at the top! Those bows also helped with noise.

And man, I haven't see so many clusters of salutes used in such motion! I'm sure Pierre was going wild as much as I was! Pierre, this was really our type of display, There were so many effects used! I could see how complex this show was the moment the first segments began. The lower wheels were, I believe, very authentic, especially with the orange star spinning and then closing then reopening. Then other wheels showed up on the right and left! This was amazing. This was also a nicely sequenced show, especially with the colors and timed mines and candles. I'm also sure that excellent use was made of the lake! I did see many nautical shells and some mines, not to mention extensive colors usage. Also, I did find this display to be very traditional and quite creative on many aspects.

The finale was excellent and deafening. You want proof? Ask my ear drum. Though, I was hoping it would last even longer! Nonetheless, it was exciting and brilliant.

Anyways, I'm confident that this display could be on the podium somehow! More details tomorrow.

Good night! I'm looking foward to all your comments tomorrow...I mean today.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 00:09:46

Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks realized an excellent display tonight and it is not impossible to see the American team on the podium next Saturday, though I remain undecided about which contestant should win the Bronze Jupiter. I let to Trav the weather column, but we were fortunate enough to get a clean sky for the show after a raining day.

Again, we have seen an anti-climactic beginning. After three shells of white comets, an introductive narration started in French, then in English. For 50 seconds, no firework in the sky, then a line of silver gerbs lit up on ramp 5 as the narration continued. It is really a shame since this narrative did not add anything to the show. It was not useful at all: an official ceremony is organized just before to present the entrant and to introduce the audience to the theme of the display. As usual, I post a transcript of this narrative on this forum.

http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum =9&topic=453

This anti-climactic start aside, it was a very good show. The quality of design, the wide range of the material and the excellent synchronization throughout the show are the strongest components of this American performance. As in the Portuguese show, many segments were very well designed, with the same pyrotechnic effect when the same musical effects played again. For instance, this was obvious in the penultimate part (Opening on Guillaume Tell, by Andrea Rieu) with a pattern of note-synchronized angled-mines with shells of comets above. From one segment to another, the show was not repetitive with different pyrotechnic pieces and patterns. The richness of colours was again very high, with many multicolour cakes of stars, shells producing small clusters of multicolour stars and pieces with one colour change.

Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks did not experience any major technical problem.

Examining the setup early, I have seen many lake-oriented pieces. I have anticipated a lot of nautical effects and I was a little bit disappointed on this point. We saw an impressive barrage of nautical fountains launched on the lake during the 8th part, but no more. By the way, this serene segment was fantastic, with massive silver weeping-willow shells, then an Irdieden structure in the middle of the third ramp (similar to the Irdieden used in the Canadian display last Saturday) and four wheels. It would have been interesting to see diverse nautical effects throughout the show.

A weakest part of the display is maybe the general lack of originality. Moreover, the thematic concept was not obvious. This is why I believe that Rozzi’s will not win the Gold or Silver Jupiter, in my opinion. Will the win the Bronze Jupiter? Do not forget that Portuguese team was much more creative… I will post my personal ranking Thursday on another thread, in this forum.

Since Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks was the last contestant, the competition is now over. The judges have completed their work tonight and a small committee should compile the results Thursday morning. Then, the winning teams will receive a call and, as far as possible, must take arrangements to be in Montreal Saturday night.

I bet you that the Argentinian and Swedish teams will be on the podium.

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 04:20:18

My report won't be up until this evening. It was an excellent display and the synchronization was perfect (despite some thinking that fireworks were launched at the wrong time - this is just due to pre-fire delay).

A full review later - I'm glad I'm not a judge this year!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 06:42:48

Bon matin

Les gens de Rozzis n'étaient pas venus ici pour niaiser et ils nous ont offert un spectacle remarquable à tous les points de vue , de la qualité supérieure AAA...J'aurais aimé voir celui-là de la Ronde. Ce devait être carrément époustouflant. Je suis passé d'une émotion à l'autre comme Smoke et cà c'est terminé par une finale grandiose avec le poil levé dru sur les bras!! Ce feu m'a embarqué et pas à peu près. Je viens de lire les opinions précédentes et je crois qu'on se rejoint avec une grande facilité, un feu qui je crois a su faire le lien entre les goûts différents en matière de pyrotechnie.
Il y a eu de l'énergie dans la préparation de ce feu. La mise en scène était excellente et l'intérêt du spectateur a été capté jusqu'à la fin.Cà roulait bien et les enchainements étaient vraiment bien faits.Par bout je reconnaissait l'efficacité dynamique d'Eric Tucker .Il y a eu bien sur cette narration au début un peu trop longue selon moi mais pas pendant la présentation....heureusement.
La syncro a été excellente et fait rare sur toutes les rampes à tous les niveaux.
Rozzis vient de mêler les cartes et je comprend bien ce que le jury peut ressentir Paul . En 2003 c'était comme cà. Les notes vont se corder une sur l'autre avec des différences de .5...1... Cà va être très serré car à mon avis là aussi 6 pays ont une chance de se retrouver sur le podium.
Je vais donc relire mes commentaires. Je vais réfléchir et après je viendrai écrire mes choix . Bien sur mon appréciation sera celle du gars qui a vu les feux du même endroit sur le pont sauf pour la France.
Samedi je vais utiliser mes billets cadeaux et j'irai te saluer Fred et Paul si je te vois passer .

Je vous souhaite une belle journée. Vive l'International des feux Loto Québec et vive Montréal.

Roger

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 09:10:32   Edited by: Smoke

Hey guys!

Well, well. I'm most impressed. We experienced one heck of a display last night! It was probably the loudest we've witnessed thus far, not to mention the most exciting, in my opinion! To be honest, I was actually quite amazed by this show from beginning to end. It was so complex and there was so much taking place that it was very hard to keep everything in my mind from what I saw, but I'll do my best in remembering everything. The wide range of colors also made this show strong in being creative and enjoyable. The use of many effects also made the music and the overall concept most enjoyable.

I must comment on the weather! It was a totally rainy day, but as I expected, it later cleared out with some nice cirrus cloud formations at about 9:45! Though it was on the cool side at about 18C on the Molson clock and about 20-22C all day long, at least conditions were dry and just enough wind to blow away excessive smoke build up. Most of this blew away to the West. Once again, all thanks to a cold front slicing into the former humid airmass. But the rains were beneficial for the grass and vegetation, no doubt. But at least it cleared up in time. We've had a variable weather pattern this season, but everyone was spared from the onslaught, whoever had the chance of storms and rain. Very similar to last year. Anyways, I hope you all listened and kept warm! It was more cold when the wind blew!

The display got off to a decent start after the countdown with 3-5 white shells, but then this was followed by a long piece of narration, which, once again, left us with that impression. This year is known for narration. There were barely 3 displays that got off to a good start without interruptions. However, as Roger said, at least this display only had a narration part at the beginning and didn't return, thankfully, for the duration of the show.

Synchronization was excellent throughout, but there were times where I felt that it wasn't so tight at the beginning of some segments where fireworks and music were not so connected. But, at least this was very minute and didn't distract too much away from the show. Otherwise, this criteria was superb and the fireworks were very much enjoyable.

The choice of music was an excellent choice, but there were some soundtrack that didn't fit quite right to me. However, all the music went well with the fireworks. The selected theme "To Dream" was relatively decent in the way it was presented. Also, the design of this show also made it feel magical as I was listening to the music and connecting it with the fireworks. The glitters and brocades were ideal for this, as well as the massive fans at the bottom with huge weeping willows. The music actually played a big role in driving emotions, too.

There was excellent colors in this representation. A huge variety, actually! I particularly like that vivid orange color that burst from the middle levels. This also mixed in with some white kamuros in between. This sort of gave me that impression of dreaming. I must comment on the mines and candles. A lot of these were very colorful and a lot burst into many subsequent stars, as the same was for higher levels. There were many lasting bright fans at mid level. The mixture of red and green then to white in many parts gave way to enjoyable sequencing. This leads me to that point of emphasis.

The sequencing was incredible in the way it was demonstrated. The part where all those blue candles started coming from the middle at a frequent pace was then followed by two others to the left and right of the same fashion. This was then tilted rapidly at different angles and was sort of perpendicular to that of the middle level shells and comets when viewed at another angle, which I thought was rather fascinating. I believe they then started changing color which made it dramatic and once again brought me back to the main theme. The transitions in this display were incredible. Like many entrants have shown, this display also ranged in extreme serene to extreme speed. This being said, the range of tempo was fabulous and really took many people into the display! Also, the colors were very vivid when changing from one piece to the other. The purple, for example was great, but then you would have those white, red and greens! The finale at mid levels was like this where tons of stars were being fired at once, then suddenly bursting to a bulge of color at middle levels with white red and purple, with some upper green ones. Very stunning. Finally, there was extensive use of patriotic colors.

Finally, the effects. They were also very nicely shown and really helped in making the display in what it is in terms of conceptual art. It also made the show very creative. I was really pleased to see the wide variety of products used all the way through. The segments were barely repetitive, too! I really enjoyed this. Lets see, where do I begin? Well, there were many swirls and some serpents. There were also many shells of swirls, as well as double ring swirls with a distinctive purple color in the middle. There MANY mines of glitters and colors that were highly in sequence from the left to right and vice versa according to music. Typically, these were usually followed by many lasting star fans in the middle, which was quite unique in a way. The weeping willows were also fantastic, especially in that segment where it was building enormously up and lasted VERY distinctively as trailed downwards. Then the wind moved it in such a way that it surprised a lot of us. There were some silver kamuros, I think, in several places which also gave a nice appeal, especially with the sliver mines that crackled. There were girandolas of double ascensions! I was hoping that this would be shown, as it was ideal for this type of approach. There were also many shells that burst into many smaller stars. This then became quick in pace with more colors and burst into different sets. This then became apparent with shells of swirls! I also noticed some facial expression shells, but with no mouth. It was a dark orange color. There were also many nautical effects that I noticed which, in turn, must have made great use of the lake. I did notice that some of the lower glittering fountains and nautical mines, as well as some various shells. The lower wheels were also stunning especially the middle one that had that spinning star that would close and then reopen. Finally, my most favorite, which I'm sure it is for all of you, too, were the MASSIVE shells, probably the biggest and the loudest. One of my extreme favorites were those shells that would burst and then consist of TONS of rapid salutes that would go from right to left, well, my right! The photoflashes were also in extensive use, which combined with the salutes! This made it deafening along with an increased pace. I'm so happy this was used for that heart pounding and shaking ending. Actually, the only effects that I thought were missing were some screaming serpents would have been ideal for this display, too! Some crossettes would have also been nice.

Travis' personal rankings and display criteria rankings:

-Synchronization: 9/10-It was simply incredible with the music! Once again, another display that made fireworks dance! However, as I said in my previous post, I did think, like I'm sure many of you have, that, at times, the fireworks started when the music hadn't even begun at the beginning of a few segments. I guess, as Paul said, this is due to what they call a "pre-fire" delay.
-Color: 9.3/10- A lot of colors used. The colorful mines were also nicely sequenced. I also loved the way they mingled lots of them, especially with either the content of the music or just using plain variations, especially that deep and concentrated orange color with the white. Also, extensive use of patriotic colors.
-Creativity/Originality/Concept: 7.5/10-Mainly because of the lack of originality. As I said in my previous post, one of the most authentic aspects of the show were the spinning wheels at the bottom that made different shapes, like the orange star and the glitters at the other adjacent wheels. However, this idea has been done before, but it was original in the way it was represented before us. A nice series of effects, too. This display was pretty creative, especially, once again, with the wheels at the bottom and especially with the wide range of colors. The nautical effects were also quite apparent and impressive.
-Choice of music: 8.7/10-I thought that the choice of music was very pleasing to me, though not my personal tastes, except for a couple favorites. However, I felt that a couple songs didn't feel exactly right for the theme.
-Finale/Overall Appreciation: 8.8/10-An incredible finale, though could have been a bit longer. Pierre, I'm hoping that you got that one! It was powerful and loud with all those huge salutes and many photoflashes and massive shells, not to mention a strong variety of colors of the silver mines to the various mixtures in mid levels to high up! The overall appreciation was excellent.
-Overall-8.6/10!

My personal choices for the winners:

1-Sweden
2-France
3-Argentina
4-U.S.A
5-Canada
6-Spain
7-Portugal
8-Czech Republic
9-Australia

My jury predictions:

1-Sweden/Argentina
2-either of the above
3-France, Spain, Portugal or even U.S.A can kick in.

My personal choice in terms of overall excitement excluding finales:

1-U.S.A
2-Canada
3-France
4-Sweden
5-Czech Republic
6-Argentina
7-Portugal
8-Spain
9-Australia

My personal choice for finales so far:

1-France
2-Sweden
3-U.S.A
4-Portugal
5-Spain
6-Canada
7-Czech Republic
8-Argentina
9-Australia

In conclusion, this was a fantastic display that covered many varieties of products and colors. I could tell that it was a high quality and complex show ranging from fast and perfect sequencing to many varieties of conceptual art that mixed in with many of the angular shots, for example, throughout the show. This helped to reduce redundancy. The use of the lower level effect were superb, especially with the extensive use of the nautical effects consisting of colorful mines and shells. I think I did notice some fountains of glitters, too. I'm sure that the spinning wheels from the far left to the extreme right also made a lasting appeal, though this was not totally original. This leads me to my, mostly, minor criticisms.

The show's major weakness, however, was the lack of originality. I was actually quite surprised. However, I did find the show to be most traditional, like the Candian show, especially with the colorful choices and the patriotic varieties, not to mention the way it was fired. Another criticism was the narration at the beginning after what seemed to be a proper start for once, when those 3-5 white shells were launched but then interrupted. I thought there was no relevance, like Fred mentioned, especially since there was no other parts that were interrupted. It always gives that anti-climactic feeling, though at least the Americans were kind enough to shoot up something! Another criticism was that, at times, the fireworks felt like it was drowning the music, but I couldn't care less about that! As I said, the louder the better! Also, a couple of the soundtracks didn't seem exactly fit for the main theme, though the fireworks did go along well with all the music choices! The finale was excellent, though could have been a tad longer. It had excellent build up with great intensity at all levels and seemed that it was just getting bigger with all those colors at the middle. Then those massive salutes came with lots of white massive shells with even more great amounts colors. This is just the way a real finale should be, though this one could have been a bit longer, as I said. Regardless of that, seriously, this display consisted of the most salutes and loud crackles I have seen and heard so far! At times, this display was getting so loud that it reminded me of France of 1993!

In all, this display could be on the podium, however, I also believe that it will be tough this year for them to get on, even for 3rd place, since so many others share that possibility, as well. There are actually, most likely, 6 displays that deserve a prize, where only 3 can win. I do not think that they will be in first place or second place, though. I'm thinking that U.S.A will be struggling with 3 others. But so far, my thoughts are still with either Sweden or Argentina for first, though I feel more confident with Sweden.

I'll have more on my predictions later on! I'll have to review my reports first and make adjustments, then it will be easier to narrow it down.

Thanks for you comments, Fred and Paul! Fred, I'm happy you agree with me about the weather! Paul, it's not big deal about the delay of your report. As long as we get to read it whenever, it's fine. Roger, thanks for your comments, as well.

Finally, WHY DID THE COMPETITION HAD TO END SO FAST????

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 09:24:35   Edited by: Enkil

Last night was really cold! It was getting colder and colder... I was almost shaking during the display. But as always, it was well worth, especially for this very good display.

What a great show from the Americans. Their shows was almost a never-boring one and this picks a lot of points from me. The variety of products were evident in this display. There were so many different and *improved* effects from those high quality pieces. A beautiful and a very colorful display. Those huge shell were simply stunning. And actually, I love it when it gets louder than the music. Plus, I put the music soo loud that my ears start ringing after a few minutes. Loves it! lol But I believe that it doesn't matter how noisy a shell is. What matters is what you see and hear (the music). Anyways, I thought the display was very traditional. I found it a bit similar to the Canadian display, but a bit better

Once again, I will discuss in this paragraph about my *mixed* reaction to certain aspects. It started off with a French narration quite long and not really important. Then, an English narration followed (a first time?) with fireworks, fewf!, or else my anti-climat feeling would have gotten stronger. Though, it was interessing to see how they were building up the anticipation I'm not sure if an English version was necessary, but anyways. I also wasn't too sure about the theme. But I thought it was an interesting one. Plus, firms choosing a theme about their country is always a plus, for me. However, I'm not sure if it was taken seriously. Overall, the display had a connection with the theme, well, somewhat. The synchronization was good, but not always evident.

Finally, I want to talk about the firm "Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks". This firm had participated a lot in Montreal. Despite their numerous presentations, they only won one jupiter and that was in 1992. I think the time has come for this firm to go to the next level. They had the potential of hitting gold, if only they came up with original ideas. Perhaps, that's what was missing in this display, originality! The Americans know how to excite the public, why not work on it a bit more, like the portugueses did? Ok, so work a bit more on the synchronization and come up with ideas, that will make you a winner!

I almost forgot the finale. I forgot to write it in my draft (brouillon) lol. Well, I know why.. That is because I enjoyed more the 30min display than the finale. Though, I thought it was good. But the salutes, ahhhhhh!!. It was amazing!!!!!!!!!!! That was like the real finale, for me.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable and creative display, But they should have been a bit more *original*. Maybe this is why they won't come out as a winner.

Here are my official ratings:

1. Sweden
2. France
3. Portugal
4. United States
5. Spain
6. Argentina
7. Canada
8. Australia
9. Czech Republic

Generally based on how I felt and what I liked best.

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 17:13:53

Enkil
How the hell you talking about that ! Why ? you were simply not their as for the bunch of pisswriter of that web shite !

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 17:26:39

Anonymous,

Where wasn't I?

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 18:14:09

Hey Guys!

I am sorry if I did not have time to post my comments on either the Canada and USA displays. I have family visiting from Ontario until Sunday, this week, so I hardly have time to write or even read your comments

I will probably put my comments early next week.......and in case you want to know, I did attend both the Canada and USA displays!.....and I will be there on Saturday for the last one! This makes me feel so sad, that it's the last one already

And Trav......I want to reassure you about the finales....I have recorded both of them with my digital camera

OK...take care and talk to you soon, my friends!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 10:10:48

Finally my report is up ... I have a feeling that Rozzi will be on the podium this year. I'll make my usual summary and predictions this evening.

Paul

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 12:50:08

Paul,

I'll see you there, in the predictions thread this evening, as I'm also going to assess all of my reports and make a small summary of the strengths and weaknesses of all the entrants.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 13:56:12

I want to add some comments about the American night. First, Michel Lacroix has made a mistake during the official ceremony, saying that the central structure (the Irdieden) has... 35 metres in diameter! According to the press release, it was 6 metres (and 5 metres for the smaller wheels).

In this press release, too, we read "the American team will use several suspended rotating diamond-shaped fireworks to add rhythm and originality to the display". I do not think that this effect has been produced and, examining the setup before the show, I did not see it...

Fred

Posted: Jul 31, 2005 18:49:20

Hi Everybody,

Now, this was a pretty exciting display......from start to the very end, finale included!

It started and ended with a bang and that is what I crave for in a firework display. The Americans did use the salutes in different portions of their display too, to my great pleasure

I did buy new batteries just before getting on the bridge, to make sure that I would not miss the finale, but unfortunately, the batteries were not good, even though they were new.........While I was recording, the signal saying that the batteries are low, was flashing, so I got really scared that I would miss this wonderful finale. Fortunately, the batteries did last right up until the last second and as the finale ended, so did the batteries.....woof! Walking back towards Montreal on the bridge, I tried to make my camera work, but the batteries were totally dead. I guess I was fortunate to be able to record the entire finale.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 2, 2005 10:23:33

Pierre,

Talk about close calls! The American finale was enjoyable and decent for me, though was not long enough! But, it was loud, especially with all those salutes! This was the "salute" entrant for me!

Once again, thx.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 4, 2005 19:03:26

Trav.

I agree with you about the USA being the one with the most salutes this year.....the finale was just not long enough.....I agree! I am still waiting though, for a finale LOADED with salutes, like this memorable finale by Italy on June 6th 1998 (IPON). I will NEVER forget this finale for as long as I live. I have never seen so many salutes in my life during a finale and to be honest with you, I think that this was definitely the evening when I fell in love with salutes! My heart was just pounding in my chest and my eyes got watery in just a split second as they bombarded the Montreal sky and invaded my ears, eyes and soul!

I just GOT to see another finale like this......and this time, I will have my digital camera ready!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 8, 2005 11:41:49

Pierre,

I still wish that you had seen a finale like IPON in 1998 or of last year! Oh well. But I'm sure that we will see one similar to that one day!

As for U.S.A, definitely one of the most enjoyable shows, not to mention the loudest, this year. I love those salutes!

I don't know about you, but I was deafened for almost 30 minutes after the show till I got home. That's always a good sign. Reminds me of some of those displays back in 1994-1996. There was also a few very loud ones from 1990-1993, as I recall. However, the loudest display I've ever heard till now was France of 1993!

See you, Pierre!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 10, 2005 17:47:31

Trav,

You have such an excellent memory when it comes to past firework displays, my friend! It proves how much you love pyromusical shows!

Yes, the USA display was really loud this year and I loved the fact that it was! I like when I can feel the fireworks in my chest. When the finale is really intense, long and loaded with salutes, I immediately start to scream, as I am transported into a state of pure excitement. I am just glad for you, that I was not standing beside you on June 6th 1998 when Italy's IPON displayed my all time favorite finale......I could have damaged your hearing permanently.....LOL......but I would not want this to happen to you!

Take care.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 12, 2005 10:33:53

Pierre,

First off, thank you for your kind remarks. Now that you mention it, I did remember a lot of those shows back then! However, I also remember that I used to scream a whole lot more back then! I think the finales were more intense, in general, back then. I don't think it's the perception of that I was a newcomer to the competition back then since 1990 and thus it "felt more powerful. Trust me, some of those finale were simply crazy, like the one in 1995 by U.S.A. There was also one in 1992 that I recall. France of 1993 was incredible. Boy, there was a lot. Also, Italy of 1994 was crazy, but there was a huge storm that day! And yes, I can never forget Spain in 2001..............................my God....I think you would have fainted after some of these that I'm talking about, Pierre! I was telling Enkil about this the other day! I should start a thread about this!!

Anyways, I can imagine when you scream, but I don't think you did much screaming this year. However, a finale always feels more intense when everyone around you screams and it also makes you want to join in! That's what I do when things appear to be getting out of control! But maybe your voice needed a break! But yes, the U.S.A show was powerful and probably the most intense this year, too! The finale was mediocre, but at least it was loud and sort of continuous. Canada's performance was also to my likings in terms of intensity, but had a poor finale and it went over to 10:35, but I don't mind. The longer the better, right?

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 15, 2005 17:18:12

Hey Trav,

You are right. I did not scream much during finales this year Like you, I always join in, whenever people start to scream around me during an intense finale. It makes the experience even more fun.

Yes, Canada's finale went over to 22:35........a long one, but nothing worth remembering though I love long finales (yes, the longer the better )of course, so can you imagine a 5 minute long finale, with a long build up, intensifying more and more, with salutes here and there at first and then, as the finale goes on, barrages of thunderous salutes getting bigger, louder and more frequent? A finale that would end with the sky filled with rockets exploding everywhere at an incredible pace, with deafening salutes, making it possible for everyone to read in total darkness, with people screaming their lungs out while Pierre is jumping, screaming and crying with pure pleasure!

Man, I look forward to next season already......bring on the intense finales that we crave for so much!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 19, 2005 12:24:32

Pierre,

Once again, sorry for the late reply! I must have kept you waiting!

Anyways, I know what you mean. I wish I could have done more screaming like I did for France and Sweden. All I can say is that finales aren't what they used to be, especially when we look at a year like this. Sometimes I get that same feeling as Enkil. Is the concept of intense finales forgotten? I sincerely hope not. However, with the changing technological advances are increasing as the years go on, one's impression and perception instantly turn towards more intense finales. However, in the past, I always had doubts, for some reason. Despite finales, however, we can clearly many indications on how much the competition has evolved since 85 and since I've been attending since 1990. There are now so many new ideas that require massive complexity in order to execute vast numbers of effects in order to get a certain impression to deliver to the audience. Even now, for example, there are many new things that are integrated to the displays. My point is that the competition is at a new level in power and idea. This is important and different, obviously. But I can't say the same for many finales in recent years.

And Pierre, you're correct, my friend! A 5 minute finale would drop us dead! However, according to my memory and Paul's report, the U.S.A finale in 1995 was incredible and felt like 5 minutes. I really wish you had seen that one! Also, it would be nice if you had seen the finale from Spain in 2001!

And yes, I can imagine you when a finale is out of this world! I also can't wait until next year! Indeed, lets bring on those intense finales.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 21, 2005 19:47:16

Trav,

Your last comment brings me to ask you a question. Is it possible for you to make a list of your top 5 favorite finales of the Montreal competition? I am not sure if I could make such a list, but I know for sure that my favorite one is the one by IPON SRL, back on June 6th 1998 (Italy)........by far!!! ;-)

Maybe we could start a thread...as you suggested a few weeks ago.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 25, 2005 19:03:54   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre,

I'd be glad to make a thread about this! But, in the meantime, I'll post my personal top 5 finales since I've been attending the competition. This is not in a particular order:

1.Italy-1994
2.Spain-2001
3.U.S.A-1995
4.France-1993
5.Spain(Caballer)-2004

Trust me, there's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than this!

I'll be starting a thread about this! Thanks for the reminder, Pierre.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025