Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› Italy - Pirotecnia Soldi reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 23:49:37

Hello everyone,

Please post your reviews or brief thoughts/comments of the Italian display here.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 00:51:25

Trav,

you didn't see the display? Perfect weather, lots of salutes, great music, lots to like.

My review will be posted tomorrow.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 02:32:28

What a nice night this was, and what a display - a typical Italian performance, and it was great to see that Soldi had much better luck this time around. The weather tonight really turned out in the way I thought it would (namely with the clearing trend in the afternoon onwards), and though the winds were in fact light (I was intimidated by the calm air flow present from 8:15 to 9:25 p.m), they picked up to standards (9 km/h) that were just enough to blow the smoke away sufficiently towards the Northwest (SE winds) despite the left hand side of the display (our left) becoming a little drowned out by the smoke during the last ten minutes of the display - nothing too serious, nonetheless. Folks on Notre-Dame stationed Northwest of the firing site likely were receiving the smoke. The cloud of smoke itself building during the course of the last 10 minutes and after the display was gigantic towards the North, mainly due to the humidity and the vehemence exploited by the final several minutes of the display.

The display by Pirotecnia Soldi was thoroughly enjoyed and well organized from beginning to end and from segment to segment. It was a pleasure watching all of the dazzling colors and effects, including the intriguing sequences of nautical shells bursting loudly during two or three appearances. There was almost always a nice sense of balance between the left and right of the display and from top to bottom. I particularly loved the shell of shells and multi breakers while the heart shells, the "@" shells, star shells, red photoflashes and girandolas are always crowd-pleasers, as were the multitude of salutes fired throughout the show (some quite deafening). The farfalles were stunning, as expected. Something was also briefly lit on ramp 4 not long after the beginning, but I was unable to discern what it was at the time.

At times, however, I was under the impression that some of the segments were a little simplistic in firing scheme relative to the music, and though synchronization was excellent (especially with the low level effects), there were points where I felt that a little more could have been occurring to support some of the selected soundtrack. The theme appeared somewhat general in representation during the display, and thus perhaps took away something in the way of the creativity aspect. The music choice was certainly appropriate (along with some enjoyable tracks) in corresponding to the theme - some of the selections, though, were somewhat similar in delivery, but the firing, as well as the use of effects during those segments where similar tracks were present were not redundant - in fact, the display was hardly repetitive.

All that said, this was a well delivered performance that was nicely choreographed and possessed a good diversity of stunning lower and upper level effects. There were additionally some interesting color mixes, particularly in combination with the shell of shells. One captivating effect was the shells that scattered in a distinctive fashion (a little angular) upon exploding (it's difficult to describe it). Product quality was superb (notably the richness in some of the colors). The overall design of the display was good, especially in the way it transitioned from one segment to the next in rhythm and pace - the changes in emotion were certainly felt in that regard.

This was a fabulous display, especially in it being so powerful (my kind of fireworks display) during many segments and particularly the conclusion, which was well enjoyed. A lot of the salutes that exploded at mid level were awesome as they simulated, in my mind, frequent lightning, which I enjoyed immensely. The finale came with good crescendo, length, color, loudness and balance between all levels of the sky - certainly one of the better finales in the last five years. My left ear was actually a little deafened by the end of the finale due to some of the piercing sounds of the crackling salutes - brings back some good memories.

I had a wonderful night under beautiful weather, as Paul mentioned. What a great way to start the 2010 edition of the Montreal fireworks competition. However, I'm still kicking myself in forgetting to bring my camera tonight - a little more frustrating for me as I'm one with the reputation of having a good memory. I would be very grateful in someone later sharing the video of the finale.

Indeed, Paul, I was present in the anticipated large crowd of Notre-Dame and De Lorimier.

A return of more Summer-like weather on the way this coming week.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 02:43:27   Edited by: Saluteness

Hello everybody,

Soldi did manage to suprise me tonight, I was impressed. It was a sucessful display with alot of good selections of shells, music and they we're given great weather on top of that. It went pretty dark at around 9pm, considering it is almost summer. Very nice display, the opening went very well. Alot of nice shells bursted a few seconds during the first segment. The thing I loved the most was that they used alot of multi-breaks and shells of shells including my favorite, studata lambi's. I noticed those shell of shells we're extremley noisy from being fired. I think alot of lift charge was added, but it really added to all that noise. What else to add, well the entire display was good. I noticed one song that had numerous shells of salutes, La Traviata, it was used in the movie Pretty Woman (the opera scene; pun intended )
Here is the link to the song: http://bit.ly/aG1xjL

The finale, what to say about that. It was quite powerful, but was lacking something, more shells. Over course I'm thinking overboard but I still find it wasn't good enough for a finale. It really was loud and noisy, but not enough shells. Volleys of salutes erupted for almost half a minute, which was similar to a Panzera type of finale, except that Panzera uses alot more shells in their finale's. Quite a pleasant display to start off this competition, but I am guaranteed, Italy won't win a Jupiter.

if you guys wish to see the finale in full HD (very good quality), here is a video I took: http://bit.ly/9udguK

Pat

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 02:54:28   Edited by: PyroDan

Hey all,

I fully agree with what Trav wrote about the quality of the shells. However, the colors could have been a bit brighter. I found that some of the pastel colors used were a bit too faded (but that may be me being a bit too picky). But I also agree with Pat that it may not win any awards. Synch was good but some moments were unevenly paced in the high level shells department. Can't really complain about the low level effects ... well a bit more complexity would have been icing on the cake But the music selection was top notch, loved all songs. The theme was indeed generic though.

At least the finale was pure Italian fun. I had a smile on my face while it was going on. But the effect that really got to me was not the firework effects, but the lifting off of those shell-of-shells. My god some of them when taking off were louder then large salutes bursting lol.

A from me on this show

Dan

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 03:09:49   Edited by: Smoke

Pat,

Thank you very much for posting your video of the finale - I appreciate it.

It went pretty dark at around 9pm, considering it is almost summer.

As we are nearing the Summer solstice, these are the longest days of the year - for the next little while, the rays of the sunset can still be seen on the horizon as late as 9:30-9:35 p.m when you look West.

Dan,

My god some of them when taking off were louder then large salutes bursting lol.

I felt the same thing, but I must say that I do so love that launching thump associated with the shell of shells!

Yes, I agree that some of the colors did fade out a little faster than others, but, at the same time, there were those that were a little more vibrant in richness, namely the green and red stars. Still, when it comes to actual color richness, Argentina 2009 comes to mind first hand.

And indeed, though synchronization was overall excellent, higher sections of the sky were a little more slack in pace than what was seen near lower level, which was practically flawless.

Glad to hear that you, too, enjoyed the Italian display.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 03:28:25   Edited by: Saluteness

Smoke,

No problem, I actually took a video of the entire display, however some are 2 minutes long which aren't worth uploading. But the finale I did take a 3 minute video of which I wanted to post.

Dan,

My god some of them when taking off were louder then large salutes bursting lol.

I mentioned that. Hehe. It was quite a powerful display full of those shells. I think there was alot of lift charge in those shells to make alot of noise. I was actually at the Promenade Bellrive Park. I recommend anyone who wants to hear maximum noise, to watch a display there. The noise was incredible over there. Probably because it's really close to La Ronde. I hope you enjoyed it Paul. Kujos to Soldi!

Pat

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 05:57:01

sounds like soldi had a good luck this year can't wait to see the video

Vander

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 16:15:50   Edited by: STL

That was a nice season opening !

Soldi had a very nice variety of products with vibrant colors. Their show was entertaining and had numerous surprising moments, but I feel that the soundtrack mix was not up to par for the International des Feux (sloppy transitions with fade-outs, etc.)

I also felt that the mood was relatively similar throughout the show, as there was not enough contrast between upbeat and sad sequences.

All in all, I gave them 84% (but a perfect score for the Pièces pyrotechniques criteria, as their selection of products was indeed awesome, with effects rarely seen in Montreal).

You may read my evaluation and check my pictures (including shots of the firing ramps) on my website.

STL

P.S. Thumbs up to Bob Burch for his ND filter tip; it helped a lot to keep the exposition correct (I used a polarizer instead of a ND filter, though, but it helped nonetheless).

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 19:30:51

Bob Burch has also kindly put up a full video of the display here: http://www.burchcom.com/2010/index.html

Paul.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 22:23:39   Edited by: fredbastien

For once, Pirotecnica Soldi didn't experience any (obvious from the public's point of view) major problem and the weather couldn't be better for a display, unless considering as such the change to the initial schedule, which has some rationale since the first entrant seldom reach the podium. But whatever Soldi's position on the schedule, I don't believe that "Opera" would have allowed the Italian contestant to win a Jupiter.

I really appreciated the wide range of pyrotechnic effects displayed, especially all the pyrotechnic devices launched on the lake. Being a fan of nautical shells, I was delighted with a couple of great barrages. Also, I enjoyed some sequences of gerbs whose shape quickly changed with the music, a pattern successfully performed in 2006 and which may appear to me as a Soldi's signature. The richness of colour was sometimes obvious, with various shades of blue and green. A barrage of kamuros (though these shells didn't appear to be of large size, but I'm not sure), and numerous shells of shells were great. To my eyes, the finale appeared massive, loud, and well-done with the Italian flag made of several barrages of mines along the lake. I'm always surprised to see that some viewers' are never satisfied with finales, always dreaming of past ones which are maybe embellished as time goes.

Despite all these strengths, I think it wasn't more than a "good" display according to the Montreal standards. The main weakness was the low complexity of the artistic and technical designs, with a primitive storyline (not sure that the story thing matters so much for most people, though) and pretty basic patterns of pyrotechnic effects. In previous interviews with Paul and/or Mylène, a Soldi's pyrotechnician explained that a fifth ramp was not going to be used in order to launch several nautical pieces. Previous displays have showed that the former doesn't prevent the latter. Otherwise, while the synchronization was generally great, the pace of the fireworks haven't followed the music during some segments.

Since I have graded so many papers and exams in the past months, I don't carefully assess each display according to all criteria this year. I will roughly rank them with these criteria in mind. So far, Pirotecnica Soldi is my number one... but should change soon! To be more precise, I think that the Italian show was slightly below the average of displays performed in Montreal for the reasons I explained above.

It was nonetheless a very enjoyable one and the (light) crowd at La Ronde obviously liked it. A few words about the official ceremony which was held before the display. On opening nights, it is usually longer and starts sooner. It was not the case this year. La Ronde new president (Philippe Bélec) and the competition director (Martyne Gagnon) were the only ones to be introduced to the audience by the host Michel Lacroix and to speak to the audience. No officials from Montreal, provincial or federal governments were there. The Italian consul was among the audience but was not invited to deliver a speech, as it is usually the case. This is unfortunate because such speeches add to the prestige of the event. However, I was happy to not see a singer being interviewed by Michel Lacroix: they seldom have noteworthy things to say about the fireworks. Furthermore, Michel Lacroix announced that a contestant will be rewarded by an Environmental prize this year again, which has not been announced in previous press releases.

Fred

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 09:05:08   Edited by: STL

It was nonetheless a very enjoyable one and the (light) crowd at La Ronde obviously liked it. A few words about the official ceremony which was held before the display. On opening nights, it is usually longer and starts sooner. It was not the case this year. La Ronde new president (Philippe Bélec) and the competition director (Martyne Gagnon) were the only ones to be introduced to the audience by the host Michel Lacroix and to speak to the audience. No officials from Montreal, provincial or federal governments were there. The Italian consul was among the audience but was not invited to deliver a speech, as it is usually the case. This is unfortunate because such speeches add to the prestige of the event. However, I was happy to not see a singer being interviewed by Michel Lacroix: they seldom have noteworthy things to say about the fireworks. Furthermore, Michel Lacroix announced that a contestant will be rewarded by an Environmental prize this year again, which has not been announced in previous press releases.

Speaking of the ceremony, it appears that the Michael Jackson display depleted La Ronde's surplus stock, as only titanium salutes were fired instead of the more elaborated bouquet that is usually launched after the national anthem rendition.

I hope that there was some surplus this week, because a bouquet of comets and shells sure beats salutes for that kind of thing.

Have anyone seen the "In 5 minutes" page in the Journal de Montréal on June 12th ? I think that was one of the sloppiest jobs that I've ever seen : they were talking about the pyrotechnic displays in La Ronde, but the page was ridden with errors (the aforementioned salutes were referred to as "Cannon Shots" and pyrotechnic effects really had cryptic names, like someone google-translated an english glossary). Maybe these were real effect names, but I've done my homework and read from a lot of french sources for my Pyrotechnic Glossary and I've never seen these names.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 09:21:06

What did they put for the effect names? Seems that it's not possible to read the article online without a subscription.

As for the ceremony, it was the tradition for most of the 26 years of the competition to only fire titanium salutes - firing more than that is a very recent change. Though there was a bouquet fired when Philippe Bélec announced the competition was open. Disappointing that the lap of honour around the lake for the pyrotechnicians has been dropped, presumably because of cost and/or the difficulty to access the place where the boat used to start from due to the new Ednor ride.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 09:34:05   Edited by: STL

What did they put for the effect names? Seems that it's not possible to read the article online without a subscription.

Unfortunately, I did not keep the journal. I'll ask someone who might still have it to give it to me so I can scan and display it in all its "glory".

If I remember correctly, they called cakes "compacts" (I've seen gâteau, bombardo, etc. but "compact" ?). Well, let's hope that I'll be able to retrieve a copy of the article.

Maybe it's just me, though.

Edit : I'll be able to get it next saturday, so I'll keep you posted.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 09:47:40

The irony is that Soldi didn't use any cakes in the traditional sense - though one could argue they did have some bombardo boards (an assemblage of one-shot tubes - these are almost cakes, but not quite).

Paul.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 09:49:56   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

I just watched the video. Pirotecnia Soldi's display was a really good opening show

Compared to their 2006 show, their display this year is much better. I thought at first that i would not like it very much because of the theme but it appears to be that they chose very enjoyable songs to go with their display

I like many of the effects they used specially the different kinds of tourbillions. Their nautical shells were also very nicely timed to the music, most of the time firms only fire nautical shells by barrage without timing it to the music. The show had a perfect combination of traditional italian firing style and a more advanced firing with the one shots. I think i saw some shells that had colored flash breaks but I'm not sure if it's just in the video or they really intended to do that. These shells comes at around 16:37 of the video. I also liked their photoflashes cakes

The synchronization of the effects was really good. Here people can see how manufacturing their own shells worked to their own advantage. I think that a better combination of top and bottom parts will make their show more complex. Even though it is already a bit complex, most of the time when there are shells above there's no ground effects that supports them. I think that this is why most of us thinks that their show is not as complex. Their one shot sequences reminds me a lot of they way ipon uses mines and comets The firing patterns of their roman candles were also very nice.

Their finale was really very italian, because it just kept getting louder XD Overall i think that their display was really good. I think that there's one position which failed to ignite most of the products located there. Other than that i'm happy that Soldi did not have any major problems this year

Here's how i will grade their show
Effects: 10 / 10
Synchronization: 9/10
Music: 9/10
Technical Design: 7/10
Pyrotechnical Design: 8/10
overall: 43/50 (86%)

My favorite segments would be the ones with this songs: Vedi le fosche, O mio babbino and the finale.

Vander

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 14:22:20   Edited by: fireworksforum

My report is now up.

Blog post: Italy – June 12th 2010 – Pirotecnia Soldi

Paul.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 16:55:57

That was a nice show !!! The soundtrack maybe wasn't really good for my taste. Not only in terms of music but in terms of theme. It was simple too simple , and the space between songs was sometimes too short. However we could see some great pieces, love specially the one with the nautic shells mixed with some mines (I think it's from the opera Nabucco). Great effects , good synchronization,nice music and a good finale! So great display !

Let me grade the show !

Effects: 9 / 10
Synchronization: 8,7/10
Music: 8,5/10
Technical Design: 7/10
Pyrotechnical Design: 7/10
overall: 40,2/50 (80,4%)

Paul thank you for sharing the videos year after year! I'm so happy to be here again watching the competition. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Is it possible to download the movies? Or it's only to watch online? Is it the way you're going to upload the videos ? In fact I don't know if you are going to upload the full videos or not ... Anyway THANK YOU AGAIN.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 19:05:59

Damn, I see video of the display on youtube, I missed a real crazy display!

Im now moved at Val-Dor in Abitibi to work for mining, Fireworks will real make me sick there because still no company operate in abitibi here.

Hopefully Royal or something will call me for service!

And Im sure to been there to see USA display

8,9 note for me! Still LOUD show with quality stuff!

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 19:37:13   Edited by: Admin

Rovira ... everyone is welcome to download the videos as I put them up.

The link for Italy is: http://www.burchcom.com/2010/italy.flv
Right click on the link and select "save target as"

Please note that I will be uploading .flv files to conserve space.
You will need a player to display them on your computer.

The Riva player is free at this site:
http://download.cnet.com/Riva-FLV-Player/3000-13632_4-10435953.html

Once you have the downloaded file, if you want to convert it to an .avi file, you can use this converter (also free download) http://www.any-video-converter.com/

I will leave all of the shows up in this index page throughout the season.

All of the videos will be at this URL if you want to bookmark it.
http://www.burchcom.com/2010/index.html
I hope to have them posted within 48 hours after the show at the latest.

Bob Burch

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 20:36:42   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Paul,

Thank you for providing your report and thoughts of the display - it seems that there is a general consensus for Italy's performance when it comes to the technical design. I also, as always, loved reading through your brief weather report in the introduction, and though it was a little on the cool side, the humidity levels were actually holding steady in the moderate range (dewpoint of 13.5 C) at the time more than that of the lower. Italy (Soldi) was also quite lucky with the winds, as they were just enough to clear the smoke quickly - around 10:56 p.m, the winds, by contrast, were once again tranquil, much like they were around the 8:15-9:25 p.m time period. This was principally why I was a little concerned beforehand, simply because of the overall light nature of the winds that evening. Fortunately, everything was fine at 10:00 p.m, and therefore, as you and others have pointed out, ideal weather for the display.

Weather aside, it's really nice to read your reviews as well as everyone elses once again - I'm really in the Summer spirit, even though the season does not officially start until the evening of next week Monday. Thank you kindly for additionally posting the video of the display.

Like last year, I have decided that I will save my personal grading of each display until the end of the competition since it is easier to make a comparative analysis by that point in time while subsequently providing a more suitable score for each competing team.

Hi Fred,

I'm always surprised to see that some viewers' are never satisfied with finales, always dreaming of past ones which are maybe embellished as time goes.

You're certainly right about that one! Although I was indeed content with Soldi's finale, I guess when you've come across dramatic conclusions like Italy 2004, Portugal 2002, USA 1995, Panzera 1996/1997, or Spain 2001, to name a few, it becomes increasingly difficult to gain satisfaction - that is unless a competitor, one of these good days, comes either remotely close to, or surpasses those sorts of finales. Most assuredly, however, Italy 2010 put a smile on my face.

And to everyone, once again, a return of more Summer-like weather on the way this week, though more so towards the end.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 08:46:16

You can rate the display on the official website here: http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/programmation/232/fi che.aspx - currently the rating is 6.5/10 after 592 votes.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 08:52:10

currently the rating is 6.5/10 after 592 votes.

I have to say that Soldi deserves better than that. It seems to be a consensus here that this display is worth at least 80% (or 8/10), that is if we evaluate it with the evaluation criteria in mind.

It was also kind of sad to see that the grandstands were maybe halfway full, even though the Francofolies and the F-1 race did not help.

Well, c'est la vie !

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 14:19:10   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

i think that the voting system in the official website's not going to be very reliable specially for an award. I think that people might might not take it too seriously or maybe they'll have too much bias for their own country As we can see Italy deserves much better than 6...

Vander

Posted: Jun 18, 2010 14:11:39   Edited by: Enkil

A bit late to post a review, but overall, it thought it was a good show. I can't say it was good enough for a jupiter award. The synchronization and the theme was ok. The quality of the pieces were pretty good. I thought the display needed something extra. I guess it's the simplistic design as some of you guys mentioned.

The finale was too amazing! Definitely one of the best ones in a long time, but not as good as, for example, France 2005. haha

Posted: Jun 19, 2010 18:35:53

J'ai regardé le feu du Pont juste au dessus.
Une bonne prestation dans l'ensemble mais pour ce qui concerne la créativité, l'innovation , l'originalité,la création de l'émotion faudra repasser.
Le meilleur est surement à venir et bien sur les gagnants. Je ne mets pas de notes. Mon commentaire est suffisant.

Roger

Posted: Jun 19, 2010 22:09:43   Edited by: Saluteness

Just curious, can someone tell me what shells those are and how big are they in the video that Bob took @ 24:30?

They look like kamuro shells with salute inserts, but I could be wrong. Someone help. Thanks

Pat

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020