Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Any predictions for the 2013 season?
Last poster Message

Posted: Sep 3, 2012 16:12:17   Edited by: Smoke

As we are now a month since the closing of the 28th edition of the Montreal fireworks competition, and as the Labor Day weekend is coming to a close, I thought that it would be appropriate for us to begin making predictions relating to the competitors of the 2013 season.

I am currently trying to devise a personal listing and will post it in the near future. In the meantime, for some preliminary thoughts pertaining to schedule structure, I suppose that we will have a return of a more conventional-type of schedule, including only Saturdays and Wednesdays, no August displays, and an earlier start to the competition. As for the participants of 2013, as always, it's difficult to say, but, at this point, I do suspect that Australia, Spain and China will make an appearance.

Other than that, tropical/equatorial Pacific surface and sub-surface waters have remained near-neutral for much of the Summer and showed appreciable signs of warming through July and August, with a similar pattern into September. Dynamical and statistical climate models have also recently shown stronger confidence in predicting the onset of a potentially (weak) El Nino event developing by the end of the Summer into early-Fall and persisting thereafter. The models also exhibited a gradual progression in El Nino intensity during the Fall and Winter months, possibly reaching moderate status by early-Winter. The presence of an El Nino offers a greater likelihood of a mostly mild/warm late-Fall and Winter throughout much of Canada (albeit some of this pattern is contingent on the Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillation variability), and though atmospheric conditions have been reflecting "neutral" tendencies (i.e. increased Atlantic tropical frequency, and enhanced convection over Indonesia), a gradual transition to El Nino-like patterns should unfold in the coming months. Some models show an increase in instability for the Fall and Winter, but the overall storm track and, therefore, total regional precipitation, remains uncertain.

In any case, what are YOUR predictions for the 2013 edition of the Montreal fireworks competition?

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2012 09:30:30

I'm just trying to remember what "visitors" there were at the competition last year - as it's normally 2 years between a visit and a participation. It will be complicated in 2014 with the 30th anniversary edition too!

Paul.

Posted: Sep 6, 2012 12:40:00

Maybe U.K.'s Jubilee Fireworks will be in the competition next year. As always i'm waiting for RICASA to come back! Maybe Surex, I.P. Innovative and Pyrovision will all be back. I hope Dancing from china and intermede or Jacques Couturier from france joins the competition.

Vander

Posted: Sep 6, 2012 13:57:14

Maybe Vulcan will compete soon - I've seen various people from there in Montreal over the past couple of years. And you're right about Jubilee. With Benito Pagano competing again internationally, it would be nice to have IPON return to Montreal I wouldn't be surprised to see Zaragozana compete in Montreal soon too - their Zeus-winning display at Lac Leamy this year was definitely of a quality where it would play well in Montreal - beautiful products too. With all the TV publicity for GFA, I wonder if they would compete in Montreal again? I know Maude Furtado said that they have a space for a Jupiter award (though, of course, their Ampleman component do have a few Jupiters, just not a Gold one yet).

Definitely lots to speculate about, as well as a line-up for the 30th edition in 2014.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 6, 2012 14:30:43

Zaragozana and Vulcan would be great competitors. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy if IPON returns to montreal, although i would also love to see Pirotecnia Scarpato compete in Montreal! Not really a big fan of the shows done by GFA. It would also be interesting if there's another Japanese team competing next year.

Vander

Posted: Sep 6, 2012 16:10:14

After what is going to be nine years by next Summer, we're certainly overdue to see an IPON display, I think!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 2, 2012 21:43:20

Here are my predictions and, to some extent, my wishes for the 2013 schedule:

China: Pyromagic Productions Ltd
England: Pains Fireworks
Argentina: Cienfuegos
Australia: Foti's International Fireworks
Spain: Pirotecnia Igual
Canada: Royale Pyrotechnie
United States: Melrose Pyrotechnics
France: Brezac Artifices
Closing: Panzera S.A.S

I am assuming a season of nine displays (including a closing show), along with a start date sometime at the end of June. I also believe that we will return to a more "regular" schedule consisting solely of Saturdays and Wednesdays (initially with the usual three consecutive Saturdays), including one display possibly stretching into the very beginning of August (maybe the 3rd). However, if there is a tenth display, I am going to throw in Italy, with IPON SRL as the representing firm. Perhaps Germany may also make an appearance, too.

What we need now is to have ideal weather conditions for all competitiors, both during setup, and for the actual presentation times.

Any other thoughts on this? What kind of themes would you be interested in?

Trav.

Posted: Dec 2, 2012 23:32:00

I predict a 9-display line-up (including the closing display).

I guess it's likely that all Gold Jupiter winners since 2005 will be invited in 2014, so I predict that none of them will be part of the 2013 competition.

I think we are due for a third Swedish show from Göteberg Fyrverkeri Fabrik.

Fred

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 09:28:02   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

From what I have heard it will take a while until Goteborg comes back to Montreal. Hope Spain will be back with any of the caballers

Vander

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 10:49:52

Spain does not participate nearly as regularly as it used to, but it would certainly be wonderful to see Vicente Caballer to compete in Montreal again!

As much as I'd love to see Goteborg Fyrverkery Fabrik, I do concur that we would have to probably wait a little while longer before the Swedish team makes their graceful return to Montreal. Still, though, you never know!

Trav.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 15:43:54

Out of curiosity, have there been any rumors circulating with respect to potential participants for the 2013 competition?

Trav.

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 15:56:08

I have a couple of hunches, but can't say too much. I do know IPON will not be here this year. I was chatting with Benito Pagano on Facebook and he's competing in Asia in March and hopes to come back to Montreal as soon as he can. His factory in Italy should be back in operation in the Spring, so that will help.

I'm sure we'll get some news soon!

In the meantime, watch this fabulous Italian display, courtesy of our friends Pyroworld who filmed it. Make sure you turn up the volume for the finale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uj7XPM6t7X4

Paul.

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 04:59:49   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

It would be great if La Rosa comes to Montreal, but better if Scarpato represents Italy I wonder when the schedule will be announced! Hope there will be a lot of new firms as the regulars of Montreal before 2005 are slowly being replaced by newer firms in terms of innovation Would be nice to have Zaragozana, I.P., surex, pyrovision, and hanwha come back though. As for new firms I'd love to see Scarpato, Pyragric, Dancing, Jubilee, and Tamaya.

Vander

Posted: Jan 17, 2013 15:13:59

As IPON is not expected to participate in Montreal this year (as per Paul's posting), it would be appropriate for the team to return next Summer (2014), as it would mark 10 years since their last participation! That being said, should the 2014 season be devoted to only Gold Jupiter winners, as of 2005, then IPON may be a prospective competitor for 2015.

After viewing the video that Paul posted above of La Rosa Fireworks's display, I would more than love to see the Italian team's appearance at our own competition, at some point. It is quite evident as to how powerful/exciting the show was, as well as the good quality of the products (notably the variety of multi-breaks) exhitbited. The low-level sequences were also quite elaborate and supporting when present. And what a conclusion that was. The finale by La Rosa Fireworks really reminded me of some of those that were devised in the 1990's at our competition - vastly colorful, more than sufficiently enduring (it lasted nearly two full minutes, which is enough to have you stamping your feet wildly, lose your voice, and have your ears ring), widespread, and armed with a multitude of deafening salutes. Definitely worth it to watch at night, with the volume turned up accordingly.

Fortunately, there was ideal wind velocity to counter the damp conditions present at the time!

Trav.

Posted: Jan 18, 2013 17:47:13

Trav, IPON won the Gold Jupiter in 1997 so they could compete in an all-Gold competitor line up.

For lovers of salutes, here's an even more intense Italian (daylight) display with an out-of-control finale!

Thanks, again, to our friends at Pyroworld for filming this:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8afHgazus
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ5lEahlmXA

Turn up the volume!!

Paul.

Posted: Jan 18, 2013 20:37:17   Edited by: Smoke

Ah, for some reason, I was under the impression that only Gold Jupiter winners, as of 2005, would be invited for the 30th edition of the competition, assuming, of course, that 2014 consists of all-Gold Jupiter winners. Under this scenario, however, it is difficult to gather a sufficient variety of entrants, as the United States collected three golds, along with Canada being awarded with two, since 2005. On the other hand, there were two Spanish entrants involved in the 2004 competition (20th edition), so it may be possible to have duplicate country participants. In any case, I certainly welcome those winners prior to 2005, as well, as this makes for a much greater challenge to guess/predict potential participants and opens the possibility of seeing IPON for 2014, in addition to other firms that we have long awaited to see compete again in Montreal.

As for the links posted above, I am left breathless after that ear-ringing finale, and I am more than positive that Pierre (Salutes lover) would be, too! Really, a solid ~three and a half-minute finish, jam-packed with massive salutes - that was simply phenomenal. The gradual increase of noise and salute size toward the climax was reminiscent of Italy (IPON) 2004. Can you envision how that would appear at night? Now, if only a competitor could do something of this nature as part of their conclusion, coupled with large amounts of colorful shells bursting beyond control in the background. I wait for that night with much impatience! Curious as to how many salutes (of all kinds) were fired for the duration of the finale, and for the display in its entirety.

I would highly recommend using either earphones, or a surround sound system, when watching the two displays that Paul posted above! Believe it or not, but I have already viewed the finale by La Rosa Fireworks 14 times - it seems to stay fresh with every viewing!

Thank you for sharing these spectacular videos with us! This is certainly the kind of boost that I require in the dead of January.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 16:29:07

Hi Everyone ! Getting closer to a full schedule ! Have a look here : Mylene & Artifice

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 22:56:01

Looks like mirnovec will be there since Croatia's the new country!

Vander

Posted: Jan 31, 2013 14:26:11

Full list of participants and their themes will be announced on February 28th! Watch this space!

Paul.

Posted: Feb 1, 2013 23:40:52

Oh my God! I just watched those clips on you tube that Paul suggested in this thread! This finale is PURE pleasure to my ears and eyes! My eyes just filled with water watching the salutes explode endlessly and getting more intense as time went by. THIS is the kind of finale I long for every single time I stand on the Jacques-Cartier bridge waiting for the finale to start off. I hope this Summer brings huge, intense and endless finales loaded with salutes. You are right Travis....I did enjoy the clip more than I can say!

And thank you Paul, for letting us know about those clips!

I am still waiting for IPON SRL and Benito Pagano to give us the pleasure of attending one of his noisiest finale ever! The same goes for Fireworks Spectacular from Alberta!

A great month of February to you all!

Pierre

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 05:09:05

The 28th is still a long time from now!

In addition to the videos that paul have sent, let's not forget about the finales that Vaccalluzzo makes in their home country! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA8LTfmn0U
That was atleast 2 minutes worth of finale

Vander

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 03:33:10   Edited by: Smoke

The 28th is still a long time from now!

Not really! It will arrive before you know it! Years seem to be passing by like months!

And what a nice finale by Vaccalluzzo - far more monstrous and enduring than the one they devised here last year! Thank you for sharing! This thread is becoming a compilation of memorable finales!

And I'm glad that you enjoyed those finales, Pierre! I knew that you would find them more than fulfilling!

As for the 2013 schedule layout, I find it interesting that it closely resembled my predictions, especially with respect to the date of the closing show, which is expected to take place on the same day as last year. It would also seem that the "full" schedule will be released on a date similar to that of last year, where last year's release occurred on February 22nd.

Trav.

Posted: Feb 13, 2013 16:44:06

Croisières AML's website now lists the same dates than Mylène's blog.

I find surprising and very strange the pattern of Saturday and Friday nights, in addition to (only) two Wednesdays. Are construction works scheduled on Jacques-Cartier bridge once again?

Fred

Posted: Feb 14, 2013 22:59:44

I am also mystified by the return of a similar unconventional schedule structure. It might be possible that construction activity on the bridge is expected to continue into this Summer, which may be necessary if the nature of last year's work warrants an extension into this year. Either that, or perhaps some find it advantageous to hold a schedule like this (after last year's experience), for one reason or another?

Looks like mirnovec will be there since Croatia's the new country!

Is Croatia really a participant for the 2013 competition?

Trav.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 10:21:26

Hello ! Only 9 days left !

Are construction works scheduled on Jacques-Cartier bridge once again?
It's not much on Jacques-Cartier bridge itself, but on other bridges around, which anyway affect Jacques-Cartier. When the International met with the Bridge people last year, there was a talk about 3 years for construction. Tuesday was not a good idea following last year attendance... so we are back to wednesdays.

Is Croatia really a participant for the 2013 competition?
Yep.

Mylene.

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 21:52:09

Thanks for the update, Mylene.

Final week to make predictions!

Trav.

Posted: Feb 24, 2013 12:10:58   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

Here are my predictions

Austria - Pyrovision
Croatia - Mirnovec Pirotecnika
Spain - Zaragozana
China - Dancing Fireworks
Italy - Pirotecnia Scarpato
Canada - FAE Pyrotechnie
Argentina - Fuegos Artificiales Jupiter
U.S.A - Pyrospectaculars by Souza
United Kingdom - Jubilee Fireworks
France - Intermede Artifice

Vander

Posted: Feb 25, 2013 09:38:55

Vander, you have 10 there! Since there's only 9 dates this year, that means there will be 8 competitors.

Only days away from knowing the 2013 line up now!

Paul.

Posted: Feb 26, 2013 11:27:10

It was very hard to break it out to just 8 so i just went with 10

Vander

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 14:49:59

Vander, it would appear that your prediction for the appearance of Zaragozana of Spain was correct!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020