Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Howard & Sons withdraws; Giuliani is added
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 15:25:09   Edited by: fredbastien

That news has been reported in this forum, but I think it deserves its own thread. La Ronde has just modified the line-up of the 2018 program: Howard & Sons (Australia) withdraws from the competition, and Giuliani Fireworks (Italiy) is added on the same night, Wednesday, August 1st.

Here is the message posted by the organizers on the Facebook competition page:

L'Italie se joint à la 34e édition de L’International des Feux Loto-Québec!

Suite à des circonstances exceptionnelles et hors de notre contrôle, la firme représentant l’Australie, Howard & Sons Pyrotechnics a dû bien malgré elle se retirer de la compétition de L’International des Feux Loto-Québec (IFLQ). Nous sommes heureux de vous annoncer la participation de l’Italie, représentée par la firme Giuliani Fireworks, à cette prestigieuse compétition. L’Italie présentera son spectacle pyromusical le 1er août, 2018 à 22 h et tentera de remporter le Jupiter face aux cinq autres pays en compétition, l’Autriche, la Chine, le Canada, les États-Unis et les Philippines. Tous les détenteurs de billets pour la soirée des feux de l’Australie du 1er août pourront conserver ceux-ci, car ils seront valides pour la soirée des feux de l’Italie qui aura lieu à la même date. La 34e édition de L’International des Feux Loto-Québec (IFLQ) en collaboration avec Tim Hortons se tiendra du 7 juillet au 8 août 2018.

The message isn't specific about the kind of out-of-control circumstances which caused this rare turn of events.

We have to go back in 2000 to find a such change, when Bugano from Switzerland replaced Pirotecnia Minhota from Portugal. However, it was announced earlier. At that time, a rule enforced by the Montreal International Fireworks Competition prevented an entrant to participate into another Canadian fireworks competition the same year. Pirotecnia Minhota decided not to participate for that reason and its debut display was postponed to 2001.*

In 2010, San Tai Fireworks (Taiwan) and Pirotecnica Soldi (Italy) were permuted because a transportation issue caused delays in the delivery of the material of the Taiwanese entrant.

Fred
Twitter: @pyro_fred

* I have from good source a fun story. A short time after their decision not to participate in 2000, Pirotecnia Minhota called back to Montreal and asked a confirmation that it could be invited again in a subsequent year. A long time after, the organizers of the Montreal competition understood why the Portuguese recruit was suddenly unquiet: it appeared that, in the meantime, people in the fireworks industry had been stunned by Pirotecnia Minhota's decision and had claimed that so many people looked for a such invitation that once you get one, you can't decline it!

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 18:00:19

Bad news I m a big fan of Howards, to me it was one of the most anticipated shows close to Philippines and USA. Their theme was very intriguing. I would like to know the reason behind this decision, the line up is not the same without them.

Anyway Giuliani is an amazing company, specially in terms of products and effects. Im not familiar with their show design. It seems the music choice wont be my cup of tea (italian radio oriented love songs). Im not sure if in one month you can put on a good 30 min show and compete with those how have been designing the show for months. What I know is we are going to see incredible products from an ancient manufacturer, which is always a pleasure.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020