Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2018 Display Reviews —› Pyrotecnico / Ricasa / Dragon...
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 12:30:28   Edited by: fredbastien

The one-week wait between the performances of Dragon Fireworks and Pyrotecnico is excellent to recover from the former, to prepare for the latter, and to put things into some perspectives.

Dragon Fireworks in 2018 and Ricasa in 2016 did outstanding extravaganzas, but they were also very different. Both had about 9000 cues (approx. 9000 for Ricasa and 9500 for Dragon Fireworks, according to Paul's reports). The Spanish show in 2016 included about 11,300 pieces. The Philippine one was slightly smaller. However, a comparative look over the firing ramps shows that the material of Dragon Fireworks was much more balanced between the firing ramps than the Ricasa award-winning display. Thus, Dragon Fireworks had more stuff on the 2nd firing ramp than Ricasa - click here for comparative pictures. In contrast, Ricasa had apparently a larger proportion of its arsenal on the third ramp - click here for comparative pictures of ramp 3. We must remind that the “piano” segment (a masterpiece!), mostly made with small (and very small) devices, included as many items as some 30-minute shows!

Pyrotecnico, winner of the Gold Jupiter in 2008, is next. At the time, Rocco Vitale said its debute display was the most complex one of his career. In addition to the five firing ramps - click here for an overview -, the setup included three towers, two arched supports on the 3rd ramp, and a larger arched support on 4th ramp - click here for close-up pictures. According to Paul's report, the show was fired through a script of about 6600 cues.

I can't wait to see what Pyrotecnico has in store this year!

Fred

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 13:59:05   Edited by: fireworksforum

I will be interviewing Team Pyrotechnico on Friday, at lunchtime - this is so the designer, Rocco Vitale, can be there.

I have some stats already - but I won't share them until after the interview. All I can reveal now is that Pyrotechnico will have more material and more cues than Dragon, which I believe will make it the largest display in the history of the competition (though this depends how you measure - the 2000 opening show featured 1300 Roman candles, and around 1000 of them were 8-shot 75mm bombettes... )

Stay tuned for the interview!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 16:15:31

Dragon had lots of cakes that almost looked like one shot fans but in terms of cues counted less than it would have been with one shots sequences.

Anyway my hype is again too high knowing that it will have more cues and more material than the show from Dragon. What a grat season!

Imagine an edition like the 2004 with the big names of the last decade; Ricasa, Dragon, Pyrotecnico, Jupiter, Pyroemotions, Royal-Spectacular, Pains fireworks...

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 17:44:42

What a season! It's hard not to be excited about what's coming up.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 20:10:37

Just to note the Pyrotecnico interview has been delayed until tomorrow evening! I'm dying to share what I already know!

Paul

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 20:42:42   Edited by: fredbastien

All I can reveal now is that Pyrotechnico will have more material and more cues than Dragon

I looked at the cloudy sky and the showers we experienced today, and I worried with the setup process. Pyrotecnico and La Ronde crew members need all the available time, up to Saturday night, to setup a such massive extravaganza. Any delay might have a dramatic impact.

Just to note the Pyrotecnico interview has been delayed until tomorrow evening! I'm dying to share what I already know!

In order to be as efficient as possible from Pyrotecnico's point of view, didn't you suggest a breakfast interview? And, please, post your interview report as soon as possible!

Fred

P.S.: While I do understand Paul's reservation for sharing these statistics before the interview, I seriously wonder why La Ronde Public Relations Department doesn't run an aggressive media operation to alert the population about what is coming. I listen, watch, and read a lot of radio and television news and public affairs programs, as well as newspaper websites, on a daily basis. I see close to nothing about the IFLQ. All festival organizers strongly promote their largest shows, but I sometimes have the impression that La Ronde PR people are passive whereas amazing mass entertainment productions, like this one, are under preparation.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020