Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› THE 2005 MONDIALSAQ SCHEDULE! (AVAILABLE)
<< . 1 . 2 .
Last poster Message

Posted: Dec 15, 2004 06:11:57   Edited by: fredbastien

Lars,

In the litteral sense, the meaning is that the mexican display was disappointing. I do not have full article under hand, but I believe that it is, in fact, an eupheminism to say that the show was not good at all. Many times, I have heard a story about this display that a large amount of pieces have been launched at the same time, few minutes after the show had started.

If this story is true, we have to remind that it was only the fourth show and we must understand that a lot of things was yet to be learnt. Also, the technology was not as developed was it is today. This kind of mistakes is also a part of the experimentation process and I believe that this competition is a place for experimentation.

I guess that this is why Paul wrote: "If you speak to anyone who was there at the time, you'll understand why there haven't been any teams from Mexico since." Am I correct?

Fred

Posted: Dec 15, 2004 09:03:59   Edited by: Lars

Hi Fred

Thank you for the filling answer...

Of course, if you once have a bad expirience with companies from one country you will probably be cautious to choose firms of this origin again.

That said - like you mention, *a lot* have changed since then and there might be one company in Mexico who's ambitious and talented enough to please the crowd today

Like the previous discussion on this topic, i mentioned that e.g. the Czech team might have some hidden surprises...

Lars

Posted: Dec 17, 2004 08:22:20

Lars,

I have a feeling that the Czech team will have some surprises for us next year, as well as the other new firms. Like I said, it's definitely going to be an interesting year, especially since all the participants will be using the digital firing system. I think that this is the first time where all the entrants are not using manually fired displays in a typical competition! There's usually a few each using it each year! Is this a coincidence or fixed to be like this?

As for Mexico, I hope we see them again in the near future. Well, as Fred said, there's a possibilty that we may see them in 2006 or 2007, but not a guarantee.

Who knows, Fred, maybe your prediction will very well be right! I hope it is!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 21, 2004 15:19:07

Guys,

I know it's a little off topic but today is the shortist day of the year, hence the winter solstice. The good news is that as of tomorrow, the days will start getting longer again, but by 1 or 2 minutes each day, depending when. Believe me, it does add up after a while and you'll notice the difference eventually!

Just thought I should share that with everyone so it will help us look more foward to the competition again and the good old hot days of summer.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 21, 2004 17:20:50

wow Smoke,

I had no idea today was the last day. How come? Winter just started it.

Interessing to know...

Did you notice how fast winter came all of a sudden? It's so cold. But it's will get warmer...

Did you see Lars surprise? I still haven't, I need to watch it somewhere, I still don't have DVD player! It's taking ages to buy one.

Posted: Dec 22, 2004 10:22:22

Enkil,

It's been a while!

Well, yes, yesturday was the first day of Winter, but, if you recall, the moment December 1st rolled in, it was like the season started already, while we got our first heavy snowfall that same morning. October and November were rather warmer than usual most of the time, but December MEANT December and I guess it was revenge time!

Also, during the Winter solstice, the sun is directly overhead at the southern hemisphere and hence colder waether in the north.

Winter did come all of a sudden! Look at how much snow has fallen since the beginning of December! I was surprised that no one mentioned it! It all came one shot! Like you say, it's VERY cold out there, especially the past couple of days, where the windchill was hovering around -39 degrees at times, but yes, it will get much warmer tomorrow, where the expected high is 5 degrees with rain and 100% chance! The downside is the freezing rain warning for sounthern Quebec tonight. We're supposed to get around 10-15mm of it before the temperature rises above the freezing mark later on tomorrow. I hate this!

As for Lars' surprise, the problem that I have is that my DVD is not working so smoothly. And I'm still dying to watch it, especially considering what it's about! Looks like you'll need a DVD for Christmas!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 23, 2004 15:47:14

Very strong winds tonight, as cold arctic air is rushing through while rapidly taking out the warmer air that we had today.

Just to note.

Trav.

Posted: Feb 1, 2005 08:15:48

Dans ce sujet de discussion, le feu mexicain de 1985 a été évoqué et j'écrivais avoir entendu plusieurs fois une histoire selon laquelle une grande quantité de pièces avaient éclaté quelques minutes seulement après le début du feu, mettant ainsi fin au spectacle. Voici les résultats de quelques recherches...

C'est en 1986 qu'un feu a été abruptement interrompu après qu'une grande quantité de pièces aient éclaté en même temps. La firme Mario Pedro et Filha du Portugal présentait un spectacle intitulé "Sacre du printemps". Ce soir-là, le spectacle a duré "tout au plus 10 minutes" écrivait Georges Lamon dans La Presse du 3 juin.

Dans le journal du lendemain, Georges Lamon rapportait les explications du Régisseur général des feux, Yves Relave, qui expliquait que les vents ont fait en sorte que les fusées s'étaient rabattues au sol au lieu de partir vers le ciel. "Conséquence: elles sont tombées sur les fusées en paquets d'une centaine prévues pour des lignes ultérieures. Avec comme résultat que, en l'espace de 10 minutes, quelque 6000 fusées, en plus du bouquet final, sont parties en même temps." (La Presse, 4 juin 1986, p. A3).

Concernant "Décoro", le feu mexicain produit par Fonart en 1985, il s'agissait effectivement d'une grande déception qui rappelle le fiasco d'Austin en 2002. On ne rapporte pas de pluie, mais l'absence de vent avait créé un épais nuage de fumée.

Georges Lamon écrit que "le tableau multicolore représentant l'arbre de la vie mexicaine, noeud du spectacle, et qui devait en mettre plein la vue aux spectateurs dans une apothéose fulgurante, a été masqué par une épaisse et persistante fumée. Venant tout gâcher. Il a donc fallu écourter le spectacle de 8 minutes - il devait durer 25 minutes - avec en plus une finale qui s'est terminée en queue de poisson. (...) En quelques minutes le fruit de plusieurs mois de travail venait de se consumer dans une sorte de fiasco." (La Presse, 9 juin 1985, p. 19).

Le même article de journal fait état de la présence d'une incroyable foule sur le site de La Ronde ce soir-là. Georges Lamon parle d'une fourmillère. Il écrit: "On estime d'ailleurs que quelque 40 000 personnes avaient franchi les tourniquets du parc d'attraction - qui ne peut habituellement et sécuritairement contenir que 29 000 visiteurs. (...) On a même dû refuser du monde au grand dam du président du conseil d'administration de l'AMARC, M. Luc Beauregard."

Frédérick

Posted: Feb 1, 2005 14:27:13

Well, personally I find it very interessing to know that these events happened in the past. But technology has changed so much since then.

I can also imagine how popular it was in the 80s. It would be kewl if we could travel back to time.

Posted: Feb 1, 2005 20:03:41

It would be nice to see what the competition was like in the 80's, although I started seeing it in the 1990.

But yes, you're right, Technology has definitely changed, and just look at the complexity of the whole ordeal we see before us today.

Regards,

Trav.
<< . 1 . 2 .

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022