Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2022 Display Reviews —› Closing - Panzera/Rozzi's Famous Fireworks re
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 20:06:12

Hi everyone,

Although it is off-competition, please feel free to share any thoughts or reviews concerning this closing display!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 19:52:15

Whereas I usually feel “ready” at 10pm to get exposed to a fireworks display and to enjoy what the competitors have to offer, I am often in a different state of mind on the closing nights. These shows happen a couple of minutes after the announcement of the winners, a moment where I am still absorbing the outcomes of the competition. It was especially true after the eventful ceremony last night, when the tribute to Martyne Gagnon – who is going to retire later this month – was suddenly followed by the management of an unprecedented situation, as the representatives of two out of three winning teams were jammed in the traffic and missed the announcements. What an embarrassing situation! (Members of Pyrotex Fireworx and Nuvu finally reached La Ronde around 10pm and were introduced, from the control room overlooking the audience, by Michel Lacroix immediately after the display. Members of Feux d’artifice Orion were at the ceremony.)

Despite these circumstances, I like to share some thoughts about this Tribute to Genesis, with a soundtrack designed by competition technical director Paul Csukassy, and pyrotechnics from Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks in collaboration with Panzera. First, the soundtrack had the largest number of musics this season (19 songs, “Abacab” appearing twice for a total of 20 segments), all released between 1971 and 1991 according to documentation supplied by La Ronde. Genesis is not a band I am familiar with, but I had a discussion with a longtime fan after the show. He was pleased with the selection, especially as many less known and some experimental musics were also parts of the soundtrack. According to him, overall, the show sounded representative of the Genesis’ work. Furthermore, I found the transitions between many parts extremely well done.

The surface of the lake has been covered by nautical flares three times during the show. One of my favorite segments was on The Lamb Lies Down on Boardway. It started with a carpet of white, green and red nautical flares. As these flares continued, a huge number of nautical mines erupted on the water. Later on, we saw a barrage of nautical serpents whistling just above the lake, followed by two series of 20-second cakes shooting more whistling serpents, first from the third ramp, then closer to the audience from the fifth ramp, with large shells of vivid color stars above. I also appreciated the sequences of vivid red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple stars shot on the piano notes from Firth of Fifth. The arsenal also included a number of multibreak shells, a series of 11 wheels (which spun more or less successfully!), several sky mines, and many types of ghost shells with various sequences of changes of colours. Towards the end of the show, some shells of blue, red, and white stars and comets with large twinkling pistils were excellent.

The pyromusical design emphasized some themes of the songs, with horsetails ending in blue stars on Home by the Sea, a tableau dominated by white pieces on Snowband, and another mostly made of red and white material on Hold on my Heart. Those who prefer more “atmospheric” design, or synchronization with some “human touch” instead of being too “mechanical” or note-synchronized, were probably delighted by the show last night. The last part of the show was on Invisible Touch, a famous song, with peonies of various colours, more cakes of whistling serpents and salutes, bringing this 36th edition of the Montreal International Fireworks Competition to a resounding end!

Fred

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 00:43:44

I noticed that the link to the video for this closing show leads to an error page. Does anyone else face that issue?

Trav.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 08:04:26

Trav - try now - I had made a typo in the filename!

Paul.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 17:43:30

Many thanks, Paul! It works just fine now.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 09:05:45   Edited by: Margart13

interesting information

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020